X-E2 IQ downgrade?

Started Dec 13, 2013 | Discussions
TThorne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,714Gear list
Like?
X-E2 IQ downgrade?
Dec 13, 2013

IQ has many factors, but with regards to sharpness, Is the X-E2 a downgrade from the X-E1? The following link would suggest it is.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52691118

I don't buy this for a second. What do you guys think?

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

TThorne's gear list:TThorne's gear list
Leica M-Monochrom Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7S Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +5 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chrisd999
Contributing MemberPosts: 700Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E2 IQ downgrade?
In reply to TThorne, Dec 13, 2013

That's BS. I had the X-E1 and have the X-E2, and as far as IQ and sharpness goes, you couldn't tell them apart.

Chrisd999's gear list:Chrisd999's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,205
Like?
In reply to Chrisd999, Dec 13, 2013

Hundminen wrote:

That's BS. I had the X-E1 and have the X-E2, and as far as IQ and sharpness goes, you couldn't tell them apart.

I have to agree with you.

I commented in the other thread that I have an X-E1 but got the opportunity to use the X-E2 for a couple of hours.

I honestly couldn't tell a difference in image quality between the two cameras. Both looked excellent.

My shots were with the 35mm lens and mostly outdoors. Technically, there may be a difference, I don't know, but in real life images from both cameras looked the same to me.

I only took about 20 shots because the camera was borrowed from a brick & mortar store and I didn't want to take advantage of the fact that they let me use the camera.

Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,901Gear list
Like?

TThorne wrote:

IQ has many factors, but with regards to sharpness, Is the X-E2 a downgrade from the X-E1? The following link would suggest it is.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

Read the entire thread to see that no one buys it because it isn't true.  That one person claims it yet he doesn't have an X-E2 and refuses to post any sources other than his attempt at FUD.  I do have the X-E2 and it is stunningly sharp.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
TThorne
Like?
In reply to Chrisd999, Dec 13, 2013

Hundminen wrote:

I thought so. I have seen files from both and I get the impression that this is vaporware used by someone who is making excuses for not upgrading even though no excuse is needed as the X-E1 is still a high quality shooter.

Truth be told, if forum history tells us anything, that guy likely does not even own an X-E1 either.

-- hide signature --

Leica M-Monochrom Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7S Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +5 more
TThorne
Like?
In reply to Ed B, Dec 13, 2013

Ed B wrote:

Hundminen wrote:

I have to agree with you.

I commented in the other thread that I have an X-E1 but got the opportunity to use the X-E2 for a couple of hours.

I honestly couldn't tell a difference in image quality between the two cameras. Both looked excellent.

My shots were with the 35mm lens and mostly outdoors. Technically, there may be a difference, I don't know, but in real life images from both cameras looked the same to me.

I only took about 20 shots because the camera was borrowed from a brick & mortar store and I didn't want to take advantage of the fact that they let me use the camera.

I think your findings are in line with reviews and the like. There is really very little difference, and what difference there is is in favor of the X-E2 by virtue of the new processor.

-- hide signature --

TThorne
Like?
In reply to Sal Baker, Dec 13, 2013

Sal Baker wrote:

TThorne wrote:

-- hide signature --

Read the entire thread to see that no one buys it because it isn't true. That one person claims it yet he doesn't have an X-E2 and refuses to post any sources other than his attempt at FUD. I do have the X-E2 and it is stunningly sharp.

Sal

I saw your posts over there Sal, and I agree with you 100%. By the way, he can't post pictures because he does not own either camera. You'll never see anything of substance from him, let alone a photo. The X-E2 photos I have seen with multiple lenses, native and adapted, have all displayed a high level of sharpness.

-- hide signature --

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

TThorne wrote:

-- hide signature --

After using a loaner X-E2 I purchased an X-E1, for me I prefer the X-E1 sensor, the X100s and X-E2 seems to cook the colors, that said I've seen many excellent images taken with the X-E2 so it might just come down to personal taste

nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,919Gear list
Like?

TThorne wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

TThorne wrote:

-- hide signature --

Read the entire thread to see that no one buys it because it isn't true. That one person claims it yet he doesn't have an X-E2 and refuses to post any sources other than his attempt at FUD. I do have the X-E2 and it is stunningly sharp.

Sal

I saw your posts over there Sal, and I agree with you 100%. By the way, he can't post pictures because he does not own either camera. You'll never see anything of substance from him, let alone a photo. The X-E2 photos I have seen with multiple lenses, native and adapted, have all displayed a high level of sharpness.

-- hide signature --

His apparent dislike of the X-E2 completely confuses my understanding of the universe. He keeps bashing it, although it is from Fuji, not from SONY and has an X-Trans sensor, not a Bayer CFA. I am throughly flummoxed.

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
BillyInya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,383Gear list
Like?
In reply to TThorne, Dec 14, 2013

TThorne wrote:

Why don't you do your own research to find out the answer for yourself. I have and so has this poor chap ....

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3591429#forum-post-52706449

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,901Gear list
Like?
In reply to BillyInya, Dec 14, 2013

BillyInya wrote:

TThorne wrote:

Why don't you do your own research to find out the answer for yourself. I have and so has this poor chap ....

I've found the X-E2 to be slightly sharper than the X-E1.  It must be the lens optimization.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
vkphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,627
Like?
Well...
In reply to TThorne, Dec 14, 2013

I will regret what I say next but xtrans I and xtrans II rendering is different.

The difference is so small that real life pictures will look 150% identical

-- hide signature --
BillyInya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,383Gear list
Like?
Re: Well...
In reply to vkphoto, Dec 14, 2013

vkphoto wrote:

I will regret what I say next but xtrans I and xtrans II rendering is different.

The difference is so small that real life pictures will look 150% identical

-- hide signature --

Watch it vkphoto, you run the risk of the usual five slamming you for doing your own research and coming to your own conclusions. Don't you know you can't do that around here.

Give me the X-Trans I any day.

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
TThorne
Like?
In reply to BillyInya, Dec 14, 2013

BillyInya wrote:

TThorne wrote:

Come talk to me when you actually buy a camera and take a photo. Or actually, don't.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads