D90 to Best buy D7000 deal

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Nightranger
Regular MemberPosts: 152
Like?
D90 to Best buy D7000 deal
9 months ago

Well from my other discussion about if I should keep my D90 or return the D7000.

I decided to return the D7000 after trying some quick shots.

I couldn't justify the $800 because I could not see a clear advantage to either the D7K or the 18-140 over the D90 18-105.

I was looking for faster focus, better quality, lower noise, in low light hand held shots.

I don't even think the 18-140 is worth the $600 tag. It's marketing.

I shot in raw but Picasa converted them to Jpegs.

Here is the link to the shots I took.

https://picasaweb.google.com/118182397915993319371/20131210?authkey=Gv1sRgCNuoxsnZiuG9Rw#

It seemed like such a good deal, but now I'm very disappointed.

I'd like to get the deal that Amazon had on the 7100, but now I'm questioning Nikons pricing.

If I didn't have the D90 I'd say that the D7K was a great buy, but for now anyone wanting to purchase a D7000, I'd say don't pay anything more the $800 with the kit 18-140. I would have kept it if I didn't have the D90.

My daughter has the D5200 and hopefully I'm going to try using that to get an idea if the 7100 would be worth the upgrade.

Nikon D5200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
BirgerH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,239Gear list
Like?
Re: D90 to Best buy D7000 deal
In reply to Nightranger, 9 months ago

Nightranger wrote:

Well from my other discussion about if I should keep my D90 or return the D7000.

I couldn't justify the $800 because I could not see a clear advantage to either the D7K or the 18-140 over the D90 18-105.

I was looking for faster focus, better quality, lower noise, in low light hand held shots.

https://picasaweb.google.com/118182397915993319371/20131210?authkey=Gv1sRgCNuoxsnZiuG9Rw#

I'd like to get the deal that Amazon had on the 7100, but now I'm questioning Nikons pricing.

If I didn't have the D90 I'd say that the D7K was a great buy, but for now anyone wanting to purchase a D7000, I'd say don't pay anything more the $800 with the kit 18-140. I would have kept it if I didn't have the D90.

My daughter has the D5200 and hopefully I'm going to try using that to get an idea if the 7100 would be worth the upgrade.

Hi.

No. From what I see out of your Pictures at that link, you do not need an improvement in gear.

You would be better off improve your technique and your exposure.

BirgerH.

BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cope
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,319Gear list
Like?
In reply to BirgerH, 9 months ago

BirgerH wrote:

Nightranger wrote:

If I didn't have the D90 I'd say that the D7K was a great buy, but for now anyone wanting to purchase a D7000, I'd say don't pay anything more the $800 with the kit 18-140. I would have kept it if I didn't have the D90.

Hi.

No. From what I see out of your Pictures at that link, you do not need an improvement in gear.

You would be better off improve your technique and your exposure.

BirgerH.

I agree with Birger, and if you weren't happy with the D7000, you will definitely not be happy with the D7100.  I went from D200 to D90 to D7000, and with every camera change, there is a learning curve.

-- hide signature --

Never ask a man where he's from. If he is from Texas, he'll tell you. Otherwise, don't embarrass him.

Cope's gear list:Cope's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +3 more
scokill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,556Gear list
Like?

All the cameras you've referenced will display camera shake and motion blur on all the examples you've shown.

Perhaps a good point and shoot might be a better choice.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
Nightranger
Like?

That is my point. At the price of these cameras the first thing they should be able to do is be a Point and shoot and get a have decent shot. Better and quicker than a point and shoot.

From that point you can lean the camera or photography to improve or know the limits of the fixed modes.

I know I'm terrible at composition and keeping my camera level horizontal. That's the human eye part that I got to figure out.

There was a mention about technique and exposure. What does that mean?

For most cases I will not know the action that is going to happen. So how would I know what exposure or "technique" I would use?

I can figure my environment at the moment... like indoors and take in the lighting, determine to use flash or not and adjust iso, etc. Then all of a sudden things change.

What good is more focus points, pixels, or new sensor or any of the advertised specs if you can't get a good point and shoot on these $1k plus + DSLRs.

I like DSLR's over point and shoots for one advantage is the next shot is ready pretty fast.

adamba
Contributing MemberPosts: 512Gear list
Like?

Are sure you know how to hold DSLR and take a pictures? Seems to be too complex for you.

adamba's gear list:adamba's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +1 more
BirgerH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,239Gear list
Like?

Nightranger wrote:

That is my point. At the price of these cameras the first thing they should be able to do is be a Point and shoot and get a have decent shot. Better and quicker than a point and shoot.

No, why should it. A P&S is made to make it easy to get a Picture - a DSLR is made to get it possible to get the Picture. Meaning - a DSLR can do a lot of Things - but you'll have to learn.

From that point you can lean the camera or photography to improve or know the limits of the fixed modes.

I know I'm terrible at composition and keeping my camera level horizontal. That's the human eye part that I got to figure out.

There was a mention about technique and exposure. What does that mean?

Just what I said. Your Pictures, as far as I can see, is shaken, unfocused and some very under exposed. You can't use them for a compare, of which camera is an "improvement".

Until you have learned to use the D90, which actually is a very good camera, you wouldn't know how to take advantage of the improvements of the D7000 or D7100.

My advice - maybee a Little under the line - was: Take your D90 out and practice - read, practice and learn - take some 10K Pictures - and then you might need to upgrade....

For most cases I will not know the action that is going to happen. So how would I know what exposure or "technique" I would use?

.... and then you will know.

I can figure my environment at the moment... like indoors and take in the lighting, determine to use flash or not and adjust iso, etc. Then all of a sudden things change.

What good is more focus points, pixels, or new sensor or any of the advertised specs if you can't get a good point and shoot on these $1k plus + DSLRs.

-- hide signature --

I never give this advice - but use the scenes and it will - but you won't learn that way - and then you don't need an upgrade - neither the D7000 or the D7100 or any other body will make a better job, than the D90.

I like DSLR's over point and shoots for one advantage is the next shot is ready pretty fast.

Regards

BirgerH.

BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +14 more
scokill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,556Gear list
Like?

Learn the triangle of exposure: Shutter speed, Aperture, ISO

How and when, pros/cons of each, and how to adjust each on your camera.  They all work in concert.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
CaptainAmerica
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?

Nightranger wrote:

Unfortunately that is not always the case. Just because a Ferrari can be driven with the transmission in full auto mode father than using the paddle shifter does not mean it is as easy to drive as a Toyota Corolla. It is still a high performance car and driving it is more than just throttle and brake.

A practical example: DSLR are much less forgiving with focus than P&S are, because the latter have a much greater depth of field due to the smaller sensor. A DSLR in auto mode will focus where it thinks you want to focus, not necessarily where you intend it to focus.

I have a D90 too and in many situation my wife gets better pictures with her Fuji P&S than with my D90 in auto mode.

Photography is a hobby for me and I do not have the time I would like to have to improve my technique. Thus, I am learning at a slow pace, so much so that I have not yet pushed the limits of the D90. As other have said, when I get to the point, I will just know it and will be ready to upgrade. The same will happen to you.

winparkman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,618
Like?
I look at it like this

Nightranger wrote:

It's a complicated hobby, isn't it?  For me, moving from the D90 to the D7100 was night and day. However, I had a nice assortment of glass.  What I was really doing was upgrading my recording device to take advantage of my superb glass.

For example, I love my little Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4.  It produces beautiful portraits and sharp images.  The D7100's sensor brought out more depth in my shots.  I'm sure there's a technical term for it but I don't really care.

I shoot not to test a camera's limits but to test my own.  I shoot because after years in a highly competitive, dog-eat-dog business, I discovered that I had an artistic side (the development of my artistic side has helped me in business) and I use the camera to bring that out.  A great photo gives me great satisfaction.

What I'm really saying is I didn't focus on the recording device but, rather, on my ability to capture an image.  I focused on the glass and my skill.  I learned Lightroom software to help me develop my images.  I realized the mistakes I repeatedly made and learned how to first, fix them and secondly, to prevent them.  So, when I upgraded to a new camera (D50 > D200 > D90 > D7100), I was able to take advantage of the technical enhancements that each upgrade provided.

Perhaps you weren't ready to upgrade and if not, the D7100 won't satisfy.  Neither will the D4.  My advice to you is to focus on the glass and the processing so that as your skill grows, you are able to take advantage of new technology.  Me?  I never upgrade for technology's sake (although it is tempting!).

-- hide signature --

OK, not so purely a hobby.

Nexu1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,751
Like?

I agree with the other posters that say you don't have a camera problem but a photographer problem.  I don't think anyone is trying to be rude in saying this either, you posted pictures so we can all look through the settings and see how the camera was set up.  You blame the equipment and we owe it to you to tell you the truth (since you started the topic).

My recommendation:  stick with the D90, watch some youtube videos, perhaps buy some books, and/or, post 1 picture (at a time) here and ask for advice about what went wrong and what you could've done differently to get a better shot.  The folks here will help teach you how to improve.

GlennW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nexu1, 9 months ago

It may be possible for the OP the best camera upgrade may be with a D3100/D3200 (expecting a D3300 soon)? The Guide Mode may be what you need to learn photography while you also get an upgraded sensor from the D90.

I agree the 18-140 isn't a $600 lens any more than the 18-105 is a $400 lens or the 18-55 is a $200 lens. They just sit at price points to make it look like you get a deal with the $100-$200-$300 off on the kit price.

-- hide signature --

I Shoot RAW

GlennW's gear list:GlennW's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +4 more
jimoyer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,645Gear list
Like?

Nightranger,

If you're willing to read it, read the whole thing.  If not, at least skip to the "HOPEFULLY" below and read that.

I know some of the replies here may have come across as a bit harsh.  Believe me, they're being sincere.  What I mean...

I've been an avid, and at times professional, photographer since the 1970's.  Film days weren't such an issue changing from one camera to another because the film was the sensor.  Digital days became a different issue.  In June, I went to a D7100 from a D300s....so by most accounts, I went from a professional DX body to an enthusiast CONSUMER body.....a DOWNGRADE from "professional" to "Consumer".  After the 1st week, I nearly returned the D7100.  After the 2nd week, I was ready to GIVE it away to anyone who would take it.

I'm now just a bit over 30,000 frames in on this D7100 body, and am just now starting to feel I am getting the most out of it.  What is happening here is you are falling in to the marketing hype of a better camera is going to make you a better photographer.  That is, in a sense, true, BUT it's a learning curve because each camera is in most simplistic terms, a different roll of film.  It's not just about snapping a picture, but it's about the hours of "darkroom" time you need to learn.  In your case, it's about the fundamentals you need to learn.  Putting a camera on "Auto" doesn't mean you can go out and take pictures that a camera isn't CAPABLE of.  Taking the type of images you did are a perfect example of that.

HOPEFULLY, you're still reading this.  The comments about a point and shoot really are sincere.  For what you're looking to do, you will enjoy photography more and it will give you the ability to take good pictures while learning composition, etc.  It's like learning to drive in a Formula 1 car.  You'll have more fun learning in something you can control.

Take a look at B&H Photo.  They have Fujifilm X10's on closeout for $299.  I just picked one up, and it is probably the nicest point and shoot, and one of the nicest cameras I've EVER laid my hands on.  It's like holding a swiss watch, and it takes absolutely stunning images on EXR mode.  That would give you something inexpensive to learn with and enjoy photography rather than the frustration you're feeling.  I promise at least for a while, you won't even think about your D90.  When you're comfortable with it, and have learned a bit about the basics, start moving up from there and you'll enjoy your D90, and where ever you go from there MUCH more.

jimoyer's gear list:jimoyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +5 more
six34sigma
Senior MemberPosts: 1,068Gear list
Like?

For me moving from a D90 to D7100 was absolutely great. I can tell the difference in IQ instantly. But what I had to do was to learn the D7100, its more demanding than the D90 in terms of better technique.

At the end of the day the D90 is a great camera and if its doing what you want enjoy. No need for anything else.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sanjay

six34sigma's gear list:six34sigma's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +3 more
herbymel
Senior MemberPosts: 3,624Gear list
Like?

Do yourself a favor and take some sort of adult education photography course, nothing too serious, but it'll help guide you through the basics, have someone give you a hands on with the camera and give you a better idea of what you need to be doing. Most local community colleges offer something like this in non-credit offerings, or are available in other venues. It'll make the progress much faster.

Nightranger
Like?

Hi to all.

Thanks for the input.

I did learn a bit more and will use the advices and keep plugging away.

Thanks Again

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads