Don't believe the larger pixel myth.

Started Dec 13, 2013 | Discussions
Andrew Houghton
Forum MemberPosts: 63Gear list
Like?
Don't believe the larger pixel myth.
Dec 13, 2013

We have all seen low pixel count cameras that look sharper. But I doubt you know why.

Put two buckets outside in the rain and under the awning. One bucket fills whilst the other is empty.

Now spread out jam jars, some will be full some empty and some neither one nor the other. Now tell me the jam jars aren't catching the rain drops properly, I will tell you, you are talking out your ass. But what if the bucket that was under the awning is half in half out? now you think the rain is getting under the awning? No! Well the same thing happens when you put jam jars out in rain that is barely spotting with rain, like your shirt it gets spots, well the jam jars will all vary in level slightly, but the bucket? Who knows? If you put more smaller pixels on the camera , you need to average out the pixels to get rid of the spots, but then you lose resolution. So what! With the lower res sensor you have the same resolution, but your edges will look rough as hell!

Andrew Houghton's gear list:Andrew Houghton's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Fujifilm FinePix S9100 Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Sony RX100 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +11 more
Zlik
Contributing MemberPosts: 989
Like?
Re: Don't believe the larger pixel myth.
In reply to Andrew Houghton, Dec 13, 2013

Ok.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dread_tai
Regular MemberPosts: 335Gear list
Like?
W.T.H.
No text.
 dread_tai's gear list:dread_tai's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Maaku
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?

We have all seen low pixel count cameras that look sharper. But I doubt you know why.

Put two buckets outside in the rain and under the awning. One bucket fills whilst the other is empty.

Now spread out jam jars, some will be full some empty and some neither one nor the other. Now tell me the jam jars aren't catching the rain drops properly, I will tell you, you are talking out your ass. But what if the bucket that was under the awning is half in half out? now you think the rain is getting under the awning? No! Well the same thing happens when you put jam jars out in rain that is barely spotting with rain, like your shirt it gets spots, well the jam jars will all vary in level slightly, but the bucket? Who knows? If you put more smaller pixels on the camera , you need to average out the pixels to get rid of the spots, but then you lose resolution. So what! With the lower res sensor you have the same resolution, but your edges will look rough as hell!

Are you drunk?

NostalgicDave
Junior MemberPosts: 29Gear list
Like?

I am by no means an expert on the subject, but unless I'm mistaken, pixel size/resolution of a camera sensor has nothing to do with the sharpness of the final image. It does however, play a role in signal to noise ratio.

NostalgicDave's gear list:NostalgicDave's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +1 more
jjnik
Senior MemberPosts: 1,293Gear list
Like?
In reply to Maaku, Dec 13, 2013

Maaku wrote:

Are you drunk?

it's more entertaining than another pointless Df thread at least....

jjnik's gear list:jjnik's gear list
Nikon D4s Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
jjnik
Senior MemberPosts: 1,293Gear list
Like?
In reply to NostalgicDave, Dec 13, 2013

NostalgicDave wrote:

I am by no means an expert on the subject, but unless I'm mistaken, pixel size/resolution of a camera sensor has nothing to do with the sharpness of the final image.

...nor does it have anything to do with jam jars, buckets and rainĀ 

jjnik's gear list:jjnik's gear list
Nikon D4s Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
DesertLefty
Regular MemberPosts: 352Gear list
Like?

This forum really needs a "Thumbs Down" voting button.

Ideally we should be able to take thread like this and just make it go away.

altair8800
Senior MemberPosts: 1,438
Like?
In reply to NostalgicDave, Dec 13, 2013

NostalgicDave wrote:

I am by no means an expert on the subject, but unless I'm mistaken, pixel size/resolution of a camera sensor has nothing to do with the sharpness of the final image.

So you think a 1 Mp FX and 36 Mp FX will have equal sharpness of the final image?

It does however, play a role in signal to noise ratio.

True

shigzeo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,367Gear list
Like?

But a D800's mount cavity will hold more water than a D7100's will and its pixels are bigger. If you're thirsty, go with the D800.

shigzeo's gear list:shigzeo's gear list
Nikon D200 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
yihlee
Contributing MemberPosts: 584
Like?
Re: W.T.H.
In reply to dread_tai, Dec 13, 2013

Think about all the money I wasted. Damn.

By the way, what does "H" mean?  In Louisiana, we usually refer it as horseshit.

Ronan_M
Contributing MemberPosts: 944
Like?
In reply to altair8800, Dec 13, 2013

Has anybody eaten the jam out already or the jars are filled with jam? What sort of Jam are we talking about?

All important questions

I like orange jam or sometimes plum jam but only with fresh scones and butter.

blue_cheese
Senior MemberPosts: 1,513
Like?
In reply to DesertLefty, Dec 13, 2013

DesertLefty wrote:

This forum really needs a "Thumbs Down" voting button.

Ideally we should be able to take thread like this and just make it go away.

There used to be thumbs down for a week or so when the thumbs first came.... I guess people's feelings were getting hurt and we don't do that around here no more.....

But yeah....jars, buckets, rain, awnings.....certainly a coherent way to explain technological advancement.... I guess that is just simplified to wind patterns and size of raindrops....

-- hide signature --

"There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil."
- Ayn Rand

cluna
Senior MemberPosts: 1,403
Like?

Larger pixels per area given the same system act will 'hide' smaller movements during exposure.  Otherwise a sub micron 'pixel' and a 2ft wide one will be equally sharp

wysiwygsnapper
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
In reply to DesertLefty, Dec 13, 2013

I wholeheartedly agree.  Forget those who wear their feelings on their sleeve. Don't express yourself if you cannot stand very strong disagreement or an opinion violently opposed to yours.

altair8800
Senior MemberPosts: 1,438
Like?
In reply to shigzeo, Dec 13, 2013

shigzeo ? wrote:

But a D800's mount cavity will hold more water than a D7100's will and its pixels are bigger. If you're thirsty, go with the D800.

I think that would slow it to less than 1 fps

spqr_ca
Contributing MemberPosts: 674Gear list
Like?

I can spread more jam on a full frame sensor... I like jam. Which is about as relevant as what you posted.

spqr_ca's gear list:spqr_ca's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +1 more
user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,801Gear list
Like?
Just substitute B.S. for rain
In reply to blue_cheese, Dec 13, 2013

and it all comes out right again.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
murdoprint
Contributing MemberPosts: 824
Like?

I am planning a trip to Rome. What kind of jam jars would you recommend?

DesertLefty
Regular MemberPosts: 352Gear list
Like?
In reply to cluna, Dec 13, 2013

cluna wrote:

Larger pixels per area given the same system act will 'hide' smaller movements during exposure. Otherwise a sub micron 'pixel' and a 2ft wide one will be equally sharp

Guys, please! If all other things were equal, then sure tiny pixels would be better than fat ones...

BUT ALL OTHER THINGS ARE NOT EQUAL!

That's why a D4 beats a D800 for shooting in anything other than perfect (bright) light off of a tripod.

I LOVE fat pixels. I find the tonal gradations to be much smoother and more life-like. Especially for people shots. The D800 totally failed to float my boat.

If Nikon would put a modern 12-16 MP FX sensor into a camera that didn't weigh a ton and cost a fortune (D4) or have hopelessly bungled ergonomics and a crippled feature set (Df), I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I don't want no stinkin' 36 MP. Heck, I'd rather have a D40 with 6 MP.

/End Rant

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads