Just a fun Cardinal!

Started Dec 13, 2013 | Discussions
Hooper Photography
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?
Just a fun Cardinal!
Dec 13, 2013

Shot with D7100 and Bigma! Let me know what you think!

What you lookin at? LOL

Nikon D7100 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
blue_cheese
Senior MemberPosts: 1,515
Like?
Re: Just a fun Cardinal!
In reply to Hooper Photography, Dec 13, 2013

Very nice, the red bird goes with the yellow leaves and the ice just makes it super cool

-- hide signature --

"There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil."
- Ayn Rand

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Iain G Foulds
Senior MemberPosts: 1,301
Like?

... Hooper: Beautiful!! Great subject, context, colors, lighting, and depths. A trophy on every level.

... Only thought would be to consider a little off the top and bottom for a wider crop.

David Lal
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,869
Like?

Hooper Photography wrote:

Let me know what you think!

Well, I'd understood the D7100 was capable of fantastic resolution. In which case, I'd have expected to see a lot more fine feather detail than is presented here. It's OK as a snapshot, although personally I usually delete images in which the animal's bum is pointed at the camera.

It all looks rather fuzzy and soft. Try to get a lot closer, maybe with a shorter lens and use flash to help pick out detail. Have the bird facing the camera - although there is a certain charm in this one looking over its shoulder.

David

Brev00
Senior MemberPosts: 5,962Gear list
Like?
In reply to David Lal, Dec 13, 2013

David Lal wrote:

Hooper Photography wrote:

Let me know what you think!

Well, I'd understood the D7100 was capable of fantastic resolution. In which case, I'd have expected to see a lot more fine feather detail than is presented here. It's OK as a snapshot, although personally I usually delete images in which the animal's bum is pointed at the camera.

I think the softness issue may be related to shutter speed.  1/250 is probably within the realm of the lens' os but the bird seems to be moving during the exposure.  I think the demand in terms of feather detail may not be met but many viewers may be pleased by the overall presentation in terms of colors and having such a lovely bird in the frame.  While the backside view may not be ideal, in this case I like the display of the tail feathers and the rounded shape of the body--which would not be apparent in a profile.  It might be interesting in some ideal world to have the same image shot with a higher iso and shutter speed for comparison purposes.  But, since we don't live in the ideal world, I find this take with the variety of colors and detail enjoyable.

It all looks rather fuzzy and soft. Try to get a lot closer, maybe with a shorter lens and use flash to help pick out detail. Have the bird facing the camera - although there is a certain charm in this one looking over its shoulder.

David

Hopefully, the op will have many more chances to shoot birds in a variety of ways and have opportunities to try out your tips.  But, this particular scene will not pass his way again and I think he did a good job in that moment.

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +3 more
parkie
Regular MemberPosts: 100
Like?

The sharpness might not be ideal for some but like Brev said, it's probably just a focal length/shutter speed issue.  When I see an image like this though, I have no problem looking past this as everything else in frame is SPECTACULAR!!!

I would also agree with Iain on some of the cropping suggestions.

Can't wait to see more of your images.

-- hide signature --

Rich

David Lal
Like?
Encouraging
In reply to Brev00, Dec 13, 2013

Brev00 wrote:

But, this particular scene will not pass his way again and I think he did a good job in that moment.

I'm sure the OP will find that encouraging. Were it mine I would have just deleted it and tried again.

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 16,248
Like?
And ended up...

David Lal wrote:

Brev00 wrote:

But, this particular scene will not pass his way again and I think he did a good job in that moment.

...Were it mine I would have just deleted it and tried again.

...with just another same old same old bird shot rather than something a bit more unique. Subjective does indeed come in many flavors.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

David Lal
Like?
Very well put
In reply to Mako2011, Dec 13, 2013

Mako2011 wrote:

David Lal wrote:

Brev00 wrote:

...Were it mine I would have just deleted it and tried again.

...with just another same old same old bird shot rather than something a bit more unique. Subjective does indeed come in many flavors.

I could not have expressed that better myself. Thanks.

By the way. Unique is unique - one cannot qualify 'unique'. More/less unique is nonsense.

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 16,248
Like?
True

David Lal wrote:

By the way. Unique is unique - one cannot qualify 'unique'. More/less unique is nonsense.

...had not considered it that way.  Makes me think and I appreciate that. Thanks

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

David Lal
Like?
No worries ...
In reply to Mako2011, Dec 13, 2013

Mako2011 wrote:

David Lal wrote:

...had not considered it that way. Makes me think and I appreciate that. Thanks

You're a good bloke Mako.

David

amd111
Regular MemberPosts: 162Gear list
Like?

awesome picture..;-)  I hope one day I will be able to take one like this.   This picture puts me to shame after talking about boring/long winter.

amd111's gear list:amd111's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL
Hooper Photography
Like?

Thanks for all the comments and opinions, I listen to everything!!

Damienxc
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
In reply to Hooper Photography, Dec 15, 2013

The bird looks very upset indeed:-)

The photo is perhaps not technically perfect but you got the picture done (perhaps few sec later the bird wasn't there anymore) and the result is very nice, bravo.

Hooper Photography
Like?
In reply to Damienxc, Dec 15, 2013

Thank you first of all!!! I just  have to ask, why do people think that photos have to be "technically perfect????". You know, perfect to me is boring, I like imperfections in life, because everyone is imperfect. And a perfect shot of a bird is one that I look at and go, hey, that's a cool shot, if there is blur well maybe that was because the bird was moving, showing it is alive and not a stuffed object on a stick. I have been in photography for a long long time and I can take photos that are all technical and perfect as far as focus and exposure, BUT that is not photography to me, showing images that make me feel good and make other people go COOL is what it is all about. F*** PERFECT!

Hooper Photography
Like?

And I will shoot the moon at anyone who says differently to me hahahah

Iain G Foulds
Senior MemberPosts: 1,301
Like?

... Hooper: You are right.

... My most popular photographs at work have absolutely nothing to do with technical perfection. Only photographers care about perfection and noise.

... Just keep shooting. Don't worry about technical stuff.

Hooper Photography
Like?
In reply to Iain G Foulds, Dec 15, 2013

I do appreciate your response but I have to correct one thing, where you say only Photographer's worry about technical details and all that, you are wrong there. True photographers do NOT worry about that stuff at all, they only care how their image makes the viewer feel   The people that are stuck on the technical details like a lot of people on this site, well sorry but they have trapped themselves into a world of plain and boring and for all I care they can stay trapped. How many people have I offended now on dpreview.com???

Hooper Photography
Like?
In reply to Iain G Foulds, Dec 15, 2013

I do have a post talking about noise at ISO100, but I was just wondering why I would have it at ISO100 and I think that offended some people on the forum hahaha

And Iain, I do like your response to my reply!  Just wanted to make sure you know that

Holmes375
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,389
Like?

This isn't the kind of picture to be judged or analyzed in terms of technical gobbledygook.

Its a fun and enjoyable image to view thus its a keeper.

Nicely done

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads