Here is what Fuji said about the X-E2 sensor

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
a l b e r t
Senior MemberPosts: 1,300Gear list
Like?
Here is what Fuji said about the X-E2 sensor
10 months ago

I was at the local Fujifilm store and I watched an intro video on the X-E2.  They have this running on a 40" LCD TV.

Two things that caught my eyes:

1. Fuji claimed 25% resolution improvement with LMO

2. The sensor in X-E2 has 30% lower noise due to circuit optimization

I don't know exactly how many stops does this translate to lower high ISO noise.  Maybe 1/3 of a stop?

I could not find the same video on Youtube or on Fujifilm website.

a l b e r t's gear list:a l b e r t's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Nikon D3S Fujifilm X-E2 +5 more
Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,891Gear list
Like?
Re: Here is what Fuji said about the X-E2 sensor
In reply to a l b e r t, 10 months ago

One thing about manufactures that I could never really find out is if the camera they advertise actually took the video or stills.

The only other thing you can do is personally take both cameras with the same lens, same lighting, same exposures, same camera moves, just everything and see what happens.

It would be ground breaking if a still camera could just do image stabilization like a dedicated video camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
flbrit
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,080Gear list
Like?

a l b e r t wrote:

I was at the local Fujifilm store and I watched an intro video on the X-E2. They have this running on a 40" LCD TV.

I don't know exactly how many stops does this translate to lower high ISO noise. Maybe 1/3 of a stop?

I could not find the same video on Youtube or on Fujifilm website.

Interesting claim about the sensor noise improvement. There is evidence that the sensor in the Nikon Df is showing some improvement over the 'same' sensor in the D4 and the thought over there (the Nikon DSLR FX forum) is that this is also due to circuit optimization. Looks like Fujifilm could be right.

Brian

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon Coolpix AW110 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Nikon D800E Nikon D5200 +21 more
PortraitShooter
Forum MemberPosts: 98Gear list
Like?

a l b e r t wrote:

I can't comment on the effect of LMO.

X-E2 noise on ISO 6400 in LR5.3 seems substantially better than X-E1. I never used it on X-E1, now it is very useable.

JPG it is a mixed bag. X-E2 smoothens skin tones under warm light far too much even with NR=-2. Not so under cooler light or other color tones.

PortraitShooter's gear list:PortraitShooter's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2
kewlguy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,545Gear list
Like?
In reply to PortraitShooter, 10 months ago

Yeah I hope Fuji would fix that plastic-face issue soon. I prefer X-E1's JPG at high iso.

Overall, though, FUji's JPG is not as crisp as I expected from a camera with no AA filter. Not even with +2 sharpness.

kewlguy's gear list:kewlguy's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Nikon 1 J1 Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +15 more
BillyInya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,316Gear list
Like?
In reply to kewlguy, 10 months ago

kewlguy wrote:

Yeah I hope Fuji would fix that plastic-face issue soon. I prefer X-E1's JPG at high iso.

Overall, though, FUji's JPG is not as crisp as I expected from a camera with no AA filter. Not even with +2 sharpness.

I happen to agree with you. Skin tones out of the X-E1 are classic Fuji (ridiculously superb). But I am not seeing this from the X-E2. Even my old S3 Pro seems to do skin tones better than the X-E2 from what I can see.

There's a fair few reasons why I personally am thankful I didn't upgrade to the X-E2. One is the extra elements in front of the photossites which the X-E1 hasn't got and the other is skin tones. I'm pretty fussy about sharpness, color depth and skin tones so I'm staying with the X-E1 for sure.

This does NOT mean I am saying the X-E2 is "bad". I am sure it is a great camera for many, just not for me.

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
vivanchenko
Regular MemberPosts: 221Gear list
Like?
In reply to BillyInya, 10 months ago

E2's ISO is even more overrated than it is for the rest of X cameras. That's the secrete of that circuit optimization. Check out the studio tool. So, something like ISO 5000, or even less, of all X cameras is equivalent to ISO 6400 of E2.

In other words, E2's ability to shoot raw is limited to pretty low ISO. It is something below 5000. Not sure I would like it.

vivanchenko's gear list:vivanchenko's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1
dengx
Contributing MemberPosts: 933
Like?
In reply to vivanchenko, 10 months ago

vivanchenko wrote:

E2's ISO is even more overrated than it is for the rest of X cameras.

It is not. Apart the dpreview's studio comparison tool everyone else claimed it's the other way.

Regards

PortraitShooter
Like?
In reply to kewlguy, 10 months ago

kewlguy wrote:

I think you can't have both, the Fuji smoothness of transitions and the Ricoh GR sharpness. I love the Fuji smoothness FAR more.

PortraitShooter
Like?

vivanchenko wrote:

In other words, E2's ability to shoot raw is limited to pretty low ISO. It is something below 5000. Not sure I would like it.

Do you have any evidence? My images show the contrary. I can't show the images here as they are of kids.

vivanchenko
Like?
In reply to dengx, 10 months ago

dengx wrote:

vivanchenko wrote:

It is not. Apart the dpreview's studio comparison tool everyone else claimed it's the other way.

Regards

This is very, very strange. Does anyone know where or how this can be independently verified? Because it is a deal breaker for me and I believe for many other people. New users of expensive gear tend to be biased.

Fujifilm X-M1
vivanchenko
Like?

PortraitShooter wrote:

vivanchenko wrote:

Do you have any evidence? My images show the contrary. I can't show the images here as they are of kids.

Of cause I do. That's the problem:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=fujifilm_xm1&attr13_1=fujifilm_xe2&attr13_2=nikon_d7100&attr13_3=canon_eos5dmkiii&attr15_0=jpeg&attr15_1=jpeg&attr15_2=jpeg&attr15_3=jpeg&attr16_0=6400&attr16_1=6400&attr16_2=6400&attr16_3=6400&normalization=full&widget=1&x=0.7162175404213621&y=-0.594158683881716

Fujifilm X-M1
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

vivanchenko wrote:

Think there is plenty on the Web, I've read many times that fuji are a bit naughty with iso ratings.

bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,639Gear list
Like?
In reply to stimpy, 10 months ago

stimpy wrote:

vivanchenko wrote:

Think there is plenty on the Web, I've read many times that fuji are a bit naughty with iso ratings.

If it is on the web it must be true. A lie on the web gets spread like wildfire.

"naughty" is not the right word.

I have done side by side comparisons using a Sekonic light meter. First of all, it is not linear. What I mean is at low to medium (up to ISO 1600) ISO there was less than 1/3 stop difference between the meter, Nikon D800e and Fuji XE-1. Above that both the D800e and XE-1 were less sensitive than the meter with the XE-1 varying up to about 2/3 of a stop at ISO 6400.

All that means is that Fuji chooses to measure ISO differently than Nikon and Sekonic. But digital ISO is defined in a very lose, flexible way that builds this variability in.

Now, who am I to believe. I am an expert. I am a professional photographer. I am a photography teacher. But I could be lying.

My advice, test it for yourself, it is not that hard to do. So many people read the Internet for information that they could easily verify and worse yet, spread misinformation. I am not accusing anyone here of that, please don't take it the wrong way, it is just a fact. These forums are chock full of restated misinformation.

bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,639Gear list
Like?
In reply to bigpigbig, 10 months ago

By the way, I was lying. I am no expert.

bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
John Carson
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,064Gear list
Like?

vivanchenko wrote:

dengx wrote:

vivanchenko wrote:

Regards

This is very, very strange. Does anyone know where or how this can be independently verified?

There are different ways of measuring these things, so if the difference are small, I suggest that the issue is not worth bothering with.

Because it is a deal breaker for me and I believe for many other people.

Why a deal breaker? If ISOs are misstated, then you need to correct them to get a fairer comparison with other cameras, but surely the issue is how IQ compares once the correction has been made. ISO may be overstated, but the X-E2 may still have the best low-light performance of any APS-C (or smaller) camera.

-- hide signature --

john carson

John Carson's gear list:John Carson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Bernie Ess
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,924Gear list
Like?

ad 1.: They also claimed resolution of the X-Pro1 being on par with 5dII and it clearly isn't the case. 16MP is enough in many situations, it is just less than 21 or 24, and it shows in the files. I tested it several times.

I had the X-E2 for a short while (a few days to test, then gave it back) and e 25% advantage through LMO seem like an absurd advertisement exageration. I even doubt it is 5%. Maybe 2-3%.

I did not use the camera enough to judge if high ISO is so much better. I had some very good files at ISO 4000 - 6400, but others at ISO800 were almost as noisy.

The reason I sent it back was that the EVF is still now what I expected it to be, that the 35/1,4 still hunted in dim outside light and that Fuji seems to have changed the colour response of the camera versus the Mk I, both in RAW and JPEG and I did not like it.

Maybe the new camera with the big EVF will please me more.

vivanchenko
Like?
In reply to John Carson, 10 months ago

John Carson wrote:

vivanchenko wrote:

dengx wrote:

vivanchenko wrote:

Regards

This is very, very strange. Does anyone know where or how this can be independently verified?

There are different ways of measuring these things, so if the difference are small, I suggest that the issue is not worth bothering with.

Why a deal breaker? If ISOs are misstated, then you need to correct them to get a fairer comparison with other cameras, but surely the issue is how IQ compares once the correction has been made. ISO may be overstated, but the X-E2 may still have the best low-light performance of any APS-C (or smaller) camera.

-- hide signature --

john carson

What's the point in great high ISO performance if there is no high ISO?

Fujifilm X-M1
hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,194
Like?

vivanchenko wrote:

John Carson wrote:

vivanchenko wrote:

dengx wrote:

vivanchenko wrote:

Regards

-- hide signature --

john carson

What's the point in great high ISO performance if there is no high ISO?

So you can brag about it. Don't get me wrong, the X system is great, but the greatest thing Fuji pulled off was their marketing strategy. They don't shy away from hyping and paying money for endorsement. Unlike CaNikon who seem to be content with their dominance, Fuji's aggressively pushing their products here in my country, giving big margin to retailers, paying admins of photo forums to frequently plug their products, buying up newspaper space.

PortraitShooter
Like?

vivanchenko wrote:

PortraitShooter wrote:

vivanchenko wrote:

Of cause I do. That's the problem:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=fujifilm_xm1&attr13_1=fujifilm_xe2&attr13_2=nikon_d7100&attr13_3=canon_eos5dmkiii&attr15_0=jpeg&attr15_1=jpeg&attr15_2=jpeg&attr15_3=jpeg&attr16_0=6400&attr16_1=6400&attr16_2=6400&attr16_3=6400&normalization=full&widget=1&x=0.7162175404213621&y=-0.594158683881716

What I see is less detail on the X-E2 raw and tons and tons of chroma noise on the Nikon 7100, and some even on the Canon 5D Mk III. One has to decide what is preferred.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads