Canon Sx50 AF speed

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
verophoto
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
Canon Sx50 AF speed
8 months ago

Hi, I'm thinking to buy the canon sx50 but I'm worrying about the AF speed. I usually take photos of my daugther and I need it to be faster. Or at least faster than my actual camera the Fuji HS10 that has a terrible autofocus.

Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks.

FujiFilm FinePix HS10 (FinePix HS11)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MurryG
Senior MemberPosts: 2,622Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon Sx50 AF speed
In reply to verophoto, 8 months ago

My suggestion is go to a store and try one out--only you can decide if AF is fast enough for you.

Murry

-- hide signature --
 MurryG's gear list:MurryG's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
verophoto
Like?
In reply to MurryG, 8 months ago

MurryG wrote:

My suggestion is go to a store and try one out--only you can decide if AF is fast enough for you.

Murry

-- hide signature --

Thank but unfortunately I can't, a friend is bringing me the camera from another country

JeremyB2
Regular MemberPosts: 114Gear list
Like?

I have very rarely had a problem in getting rapid autofocus from my SX50.

bizi clop
Forum MemberPosts: 64Gear list
Like?
In reply to JeremyB2, 8 months ago

I tried it in a shop yesterday, and it was like “zzzzz .. zz .... zzzzzzzzz .. zzzzzz ..  zzz .. z” in full zoom :/

bizi clop's gear list:bizi clop's gear list
Canon PowerShot G2 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
MurryG
Senior MemberPosts: 2,622Gear list
Like?

That is a problem if you can't try the camera first.  I downsized from the Canon 20D DSLR and find that my SX50's AF is very good for me but I do not shoot kids or sports anymore.  The AF in good light seems to snap right in very quickly.

Murry

-- hide signature --
 MurryG's gear list:MurryG's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,240Gear list
Like?

I have an SX40 and was considering buying the SX50 so I tested one a lot in our local camera shop.  I found the SX40 and SX50 AF performance about the same.  Most reviews of the SX50 have said the same thing  as have many comments on this forum by people who have both.

I find the SX40 AF performance okay but nothing to brag about.  With indoor lights, taking pictures of my children, I have lots of missed photos from the AF not being fast enough, or out of focus pictures.  Just generally somewhat dissappointing AF.

I get much better AF performance with my sisters Panasonic FZ200.

I like the Canon colors better, particulary with skin tones, and also outdoor landscapes look better.  The Panasonic colors I do not like as much, but it is usually only in comparison with the Canon that I notice that.   Sometimes I realize the problem is that the Panasonic is actually reproducing the colors more accurately, whereas the Canon is adjusting colors for better appearance.  But sometimes it is that the Panasonic has put a slightly bluish cast on a picture that was not correct.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +19 more
Britney Elvis
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,706
Like?
No, not really

verophoto wrote:

Hi, I'm thinking to buy the canon sx50 but I'm worrying about the AF speed. I usually take photos of my daugther and I need it to be faster. Or at least faster than my actual camera the Fuji HS10 that has a terrible autofocus.

Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks.

I would not suggest the SX50 as a kid shooter.

I love mine, but it is a hiker, long zoomer, good light camera.

True kid shooting is still the territory of the larger sensor cameras... You need faster lenses and higher ISO to consistently get those shots.

gus

-- hide signature --

"It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them."
~~ Pierre Beaumarchais~~

Sactojim
Senior MemberPosts: 2,894
Like?

I have the SX50 and it's not ideal for fast moving kids, whatever. It has burst mode that does well, but you really need to experiment with one. I've seen some very good action pics from posters here that were shot with the SX50, but that's not it strengths. I suggest a 4/3rds camera or entry level dslr. Regarding in store testing: it's one thing to snap a few shots indoors on a stationary object, but almost impossible to shoot action in florescent lighting. Fact is that NO power zoom is really good for action, but the fast lens of the Panny FZ200 might do it.

verophoto
Like?
In reply to Sactojim, 8 months ago

Thanks so much, I'd decided for a Reflex. The Canon T3 with len 18-55 and I can borrow a 75-300 len from my father-in-law sometimes.

I also like the Panasonic Fz200 but is now discontinued . I really don't understand why I read a lot of good reviews.

My camera is coming next 21, so I'll be posting some photos on the forum soon.

Thanks for your help.

Britney Elvis
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,706
Like?
Good for you...dont forget

verophoto wrote:

Thanks so much, I'd decided for a Reflex. The Canon T3 with len 18-55 and I can borrow a 75-300 len from my father-in-law sometimes.

I also like the Panasonic Fz200 but is now discontinued . I really don't understand why I read a lot of good reviews.

My camera is coming next 21, so I'll be posting some photos on the forum soon.

Thanks for your help.

Dont forget to pick up a fast 50mm prime...
Canon has a 50 1.8 prime lens for about a 100 bucks, that will really be nice for the indoor, and shallow dof kid shots...
gus

-- hide signature --

"It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them."
~~ Pierre Beaumarchais~~

verophoto
Like?
Re: Good for you...dont forget
In reply to Britney Elvis, 8 months ago

Nice photos!! Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely buy one.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads