SX50 or m4/3rds? Dilemma.

Started Dec 12, 2013 | Discussions
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,971Gear list
Like?
SX50 or m4/3rds? Dilemma.
Dec 12, 2013

I'm really torn between the SX50 and one of the earlier PEN cameras.  I have a DSLR with a minimum of lenses, but good ones.  Do I need another ILC?  Or is the convenience of the SX50 a better choice?

I keep seeing outstanding images captured with the Canon superzoom.  Yet, knowing that the PEN has a bit larger sensor, it too can capture quality images.  But.....is the difference all that great?  This is what I don't know.   I suppose I could always use the DSLR for those critical situations.  Yet, being an older retired guy, I had hopes of reducing gear and especially gear size/weight in the near future.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on what I should do.

Thanks.

ehazera
Senior MemberPosts: 2,076
Like?
Re: SX50 or m4/3rds? Dilemma.
In reply to BobT, Dec 13, 2013

BobT wrote:

I'm really torn between the SX50 and one of the earlier PEN cameras. I have a DSLR with a minimum of lenses, but good ones. Do I need another ILC? Or is the convenience of the SX50 a better choice?

I keep seeing outstanding images captured with the Canon superzoom. Yet, knowing that the PEN has a bit larger sensor, it too can capture quality images. But.....is the difference all that great? This is what I don't know. I suppose I could always use the DSLR for those critical situations. Yet, being an older retired guy, I had hopes of reducing gear and especially gear size/weight in the near future.

Thanks.

You should be able to answer your own question, You have had both cameras.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John McCormack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,365Gear list
Like?
In reply to BobT, Dec 13, 2013

BobT wrote:

I keep seeing outstanding images captured with the Canon superzoom. Yet, knowing that the PEN has a bit larger sensor, it too can capture quality images. But.....is the difference all that great?

Depends on what you do with your images. Frankly, I print less than 6 images a year. The SX50 can output pretty large prints from what I've seen. And the price is dropping on the SX50 as the holidays approach.

This is what I don't know. I suppose I could always use the DSLR for those critical situations. Yet, being an older retired guy, I had hopes of reducing gear and especially gear size/weight in the near future.

I'm also an older retired guy. Hauling around a DSLR and lenses is not my cup of tea. The SX50 for birds and wildlife in good light and the G15 for low light fit my style nicely.

If you want to see what the SX50 can produce in the hands of a talented amateur take a look at cybertony's gallery on SmugMug. Click here .

Thanks.

ehazera
Senior MemberPosts: 2,076
Like?
In reply to John McCormack, Dec 13, 2013

John McCormack wrote:

BobT wrote:

I keep seeing outstanding images captured with the Canon superzoom. Yet, knowing that the PEN has a bit larger sensor, it too can capture quality images. But.....is the difference all that great?

Depends on what you do with your images. Frankly, I print less than 6 images a year. The SX50 can output pretty large prints from what I've seen. And the price is dropping on the SX50 as the holidays approach.

This is what I don't know. I suppose I could always use the DSLR for those critical situations. Yet, being an older retired guy, I had hopes of reducing gear and especially gear size/weight in the near future.

I'm also an older retired guy. Hauling around a DSLR and lenses is not my cup of tea. The SX50 for birds and wildlife in good light and the G15 for low light fit my style nicely.

If you want to see what the SX50 can produce in the hands of a talented amateur take a look at cybertony's gallery on SmugMug. Click here .

Thanks.

He already HAS an SX50.

BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,971Gear list
Like?
In reply to John McCormack, Dec 13, 2013

Thanks, John.

I like your working combo of the SX50 and G15.  Both are lighter than the DSLR gear, and both serve specific needs....which seem to be most everything.

I do like to print my images.  In fact I don't like to keep them on the computer.  So I print most every image that I like.  The better images often get the bigger prints.

I do have a Oly XZ-1 for a smaller P&S with a f1.8 aperture.  It delivers great images.  So combining that one with a SX50, and I just might be a happy camper.  I will certainly give that some serious consideration.

BobT

sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,285Gear list
Like?
In reply to John McCormack, Dec 14, 2013

John McCormack wrote:

This thread was worth it just for this link, now bookmarked. Thanks, John.

Amazing what this $329 (Amazon) little wonder can do in the right hands, only a matter of time before I give in.  Can't rationally justify it, (I have a larger sensored E-M5 w/75-300mm (150-600mm 35mm equivalent) lens), but that extra reach really grabs me.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Britney Elvis
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,754
Like?
keep the dlsr and get the sx50
In reply to BobT, Dec 14, 2013

Keep the dlsr with the good lenses for the lowlight stuff and for difficult shooting situations.
And get the sx50 for the good light / long zoomers and really nice macros...
If the Pen has this kind of range without changing lenses... by all means go for the Pen...

-- hide signature --

"It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them."
~~ Pierre Beaumarchais~~

Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,858Gear list
Like?
In reply to BobT, Dec 14, 2013

I have had an EPM-1 and a EPL-2 and the sensors punch well below their weight especially at high ISO. If you are going to get one get an EPM-2 or EPL-5 with the new Sony sensors. You will not get an improvement over the SX50 proportional to sensor size with the old Pens unless in good light and focal length and aperture of course is far more expensive as the sensor size increases.

BobT wrote:

I'm really torn between the SX50 and one of the earlier PEN cameras. I have a DSLR with a minimum of lenses, but good ones. Do I need another ILC? Or is the convenience of the SX50 a better choice?

I keep seeing outstanding images captured with the Canon superzoom. Yet, knowing that the PEN has a bit larger sensor, it too can capture quality images. But.....is the difference all that great? This is what I don't know. I suppose I could always use the DSLR for those critical situations. Yet, being an older retired guy, I had hopes of reducing gear and especially gear size/weight in the near future.

Thanks.

Sactojim
Senior MemberPosts: 3,321
Like?
In reply to Greynerd, Dec 14, 2013

Greynerd wrote:

I have had an EPM-1 and a EPL-2 and the sensors punch well below their weight especially at high ISO. If you are going to get one get an EPM-2 or EPL-5 with the new Sony sensors. You will not get an improvement over the SX50 proportional to sensor size with the old Pens unless in good light and focal length and aperture of course is far more expensive as the sensor size increases.

BobT wrote:

Thanks.

I've taken some decent shots with my Oly E-PL3 with it's 12MP sensor. Very good camera IMO.

Oly E-PL3 with a Panasonic 45-200 lens

Guard dog on duty!

sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,285Gear list
Like?
In reply to BobT, Dec 15, 2013

For ultimate IQ, mFT with the Sony 16MP sensor is the way to go, but no matter how you slice it, significantly more $$ then the SX50, which currently sells for $329, a true bargain.

Adorama has the E-PL5 with 14-42mm and 40-150mm lenses (equivalent to a 28-84mm and 80-300mm in a 35mm camera) plus carrying bag and 32GB SD card for $499, a good deal on a very good mFT camera.  But if you want a true long zoom for birds/wildlife, you're still looking at an Olympus 75-300mm (150-600mm equivalent) zoom for another $550.  And the E-PL5 doesn't include an EVF, another $200 or so for that.

Given this, is the E-PL5 with 75-300mm zoom and EVF to make it more comparable to SX50 features worth an additional $850-900 for its edge on IQ?  Depends on your intended usage.

Or, to put it another way, I have about $2500 invested in mFT equipment, which I'm very happy with.  But I'm now also strongly considering spending a combined $429 for an SX50 and a pair of Celestron 8-32mm DX compact binoculars for bird spotting, a great bargain sure to bring me many smiles.

Take a look again at Tony Britton's site to see just how capable this camera is:

http://tonybritton.smugmug.com/Other/Canon-SX50-HS

Gives us all something to shoot for.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads