X-e1 bracketing advice

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
see change
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
X-e1 bracketing advice
9 months ago

I am interested to know what people do to bracket photos with different exposures by one press of the shutter button and is there a way to get more difference than 1ev between the shots.

To me the 1ev difference is a bit on the weak side. I would have liked a 2ev difference better. Does the X-e2 come with more than 1ev difference between bracketed shots?

Thanks for any answers people care to reply with.

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
Re: X-e1 bracketing advice
In reply to see change, 9 months ago

X-E2 is the same as the X-E1: three frames at up to +/- 1 stop.  If HDR is super-important for you, the X-Series probably ain't your camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mmckeller
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?

As a former Nikon shooter, I was spoiled with being able to shoot up to 9 brackets.  While the X-E2 will only do three at a time, it's still simple to do 9 from -4 to +4 (or any other combination you like):  First, select bracketing via the Drive button (the full-stop option in this case) - then, turn the Exposure Comp dial to -3.  With one press of the shutter button, you'll get exposures of -4, -3, and -2 (although not in that order).  Repeat the process with Exposure Comp dial set to zero, and then again with it set to +3.  You'll end up with 9 exposures spanning the range of -4 to +4.  Not as simple as Nikon, but still very doable.

see change
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
In reply to mmckeller, 9 months ago

yeh I do it manually like this and get what I want but it woud be neat to press down only once and get the same results. I was wondering if I ws missing something but aparently not.

Thanks again.

HDR junkie
Forum MemberPosts: 82Gear list
Like?
In reply to Red5TX, 9 months ago

It's true, it takes a little extra work to get a wider HDR support. Either with the trick described in this forum, put exposure compensation to +2 and take the first bracketing then switch to -1, and take the other bracketing (or +1 and -2), or to shoot in raw format, as it is good dynamics on the camera.

It would be easier if you could set EV steps up to 2 or 3 and the number of images to 3 or 5.

Mats

HDR junkie's gear list:HDR junkie's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,499Gear list
Like?

see change wrote:

I am interested to know what people do to bracket photos with different exposures by one press of the shutter button and is there a way to get more difference than 1ev between the shots.

To me the 1ev difference is a bit on the weak side. I would have liked a 2ev difference better. Does the X-e2 come with more than 1ev difference between bracketed shots?

Thanks for any answers people care to reply with.

You can bracket exposure several ways after using exposure compensation. Change shutter speed, aperture or ISO.

If you do not know what a full stop is with these items their are or should be on line calculators or descriptions. It is too long to post.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Chrisd999
Contributing MemberPosts: 627Gear list
Like?

I agree with the work-arounds already described in this thread. My own personal preference is a 6-exposure sequence with the first 3-shot set with EC set at +1, then dial EC to -2 while it is writing the files to the card, then take the next sequence. It gives me +2/+1/0/-1/-2/-3.

Although I really like the Fuji X system, and I am committed to it in the long run, the lack of proper exposure bracketing range is my number one pet peeve. I'm hoping that this gets fixed in a future FW update from Fuji.

Chrisd999's gear list:Chrisd999's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha 7R Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +4 more
Sgt_Strider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,062
Like?
In reply to Chrisd999, 9 months ago

Hundminen wrote:

I agree with the work-arounds already described in this thread. My own personal preference is a 6-exposure sequence with the first 3-shot set with EC set at +1, then dial EC to -2 while it is writing the files to the card, then take the next sequence. It gives me +2/+1/0/-1/-2/-3.

Although I really like the Fuji X system, and I am committed to it in the long run, the lack of proper exposure bracketing range is my number one pet peeve. I'm hoping that this gets fixed in a future FW update from Fuji.

And how long have we waited for that FW update to address this? It's been forever now and Fuji is still not doing anything about it. I don't even know if they've heard of the complaints yet. I think what we really need is the contact of someone at Fuji who will not only hear our concerns, but forward it to the right individuals to get this sorted out. I created a thread to ask in the past, but no one responded so I'm getting the impression that perhaps the majority doesn't care or that they don't know of such individual at Fujifilm.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads