Simple mount for some Cellphone/cams

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
RUcrAZ
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,133
Like?
Simple mount for some Cellphone/cams
7 months ago

My Nokia N95-8GB (ancient, but 5 Megapixel cam) has an earphone plug at the right spot for a camera mount. So I bought two 3.5mm jacks, and cemented a nut (1/4-20) at one end, and cemented a cut piece of cardboard at the end of the second jack.

The result is that I can mount the Nokia on any tripod, or I can mount it on the accessory shoe of a camera.

Maybe if the earphone plug (or power plug) is in the "right place," the same can be done for other cellphone/cams.

RUcrAZ

A small bead of liquid rubber, dried, provides enough friction to keep it from swiveling

Direct mount on a standard tripod head

Close up of the 3.5mm jack with a 1/4"-20 nut glued at its end, mounted on a tripod.

The cellphone has seen many years of wear, in the pocket.

Kuppenbender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,799Gear list
Like?
Eureka!
In reply to RUcrAZ, 7 months ago

You've invented the JackPod !

Sadly the Kickstarter project sparked some interest but was underfunded. At least now your DIY solution might appeal to the disappointed would-be project backers.

Kuppenbender's gear list:Kuppenbender's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rurikw
Regular MemberPosts: 153Gear list
Like?
Re: Simple mount for some Cellphone/cams
In reply to RUcrAZ, 7 months ago

That's nice! I would like something similar but it must both tilt and swivel so it could work as an articulated display. Has anyone tried that with a ball head attached to hot shoe or some other solution?

rurikw's gear list:rurikw's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 +1 more
RUcrAZ
Like?
In reply to rurikw, 7 months ago

I had never seen the ad for this "jackpod" but I think it's great! And, for $10 including shipping, a bargain (I would never have built one had I known about it, because when you add up the cost of all the pieces (including the glue) bought from scratch, it cost nearly the same; so I would have bought it.)

.... maybe the lack of interest you stated, had to do with the effectiveness of its advertising???

RUcrAZ
Like?
In reply to rurikw, 7 months ago

rurikw wrote:

That's nice! I would like something similar but it must both tilt and swivel so it could work as an articulated display. Has anyone tried that with a ball head attached to hot shoe or some other solution?

I know there exist very small ball-heads which mount on accessory shoes, and have a (female) accessory shoe  on top (because I have one, but it is Europe at the moment) it's about 5cm (2 inches) high. The one I "built" simply fits on the accessory shoe of the cam without tilting. The one made for a tripod mount is moved, of course, by operating the tripod's head.

Search on Google for: ball head accessory shoe  and you will find a lot, (with some wild price ranges!)

See also the simple and inexpensive commercially-made model, mentioned by a previous poster.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads