Simple mount for some Cellphone/cams

Started Dec 12, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
RUcrAZ
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,246
Like?
Simple mount for some Cellphone/cams
Dec 12, 2013

My Nokia N95-8GB (ancient, but 5 Megapixel cam) has an earphone plug at the right spot for a camera mount. So I bought two 3.5mm jacks, and cemented a nut (1/4-20) at one end, and cemented a cut piece of cardboard at the end of the second jack.

The result is that I can mount the Nokia on any tripod, or I can mount it on the accessory shoe of a camera.

Maybe if the earphone plug (or power plug) is in the "right place," the same can be done for other cellphone/cams.

RUcrAZ

A small bead of liquid rubber, dried, provides enough friction to keep it from swiveling

Direct mount on a standard tripod head

Close up of the 3.5mm jack with a 1/4"-20 nut glued at its end, mounted on a tripod.

The cellphone has seen many years of wear, in the pocket.

Kuppenbender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,904Gear list
Like?
Eureka!
In reply to RUcrAZ, Dec 13, 2013

You've invented the JackPod !

Sadly the Kickstarter project sparked some interest but was underfunded. At least now your DIY solution might appeal to the disappointed would-be project backers.

Kuppenbender's gear list:Kuppenbender's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rurikw
Regular MemberPosts: 284Gear list
Like?
Re: Simple mount for some Cellphone/cams
In reply to RUcrAZ, Dec 13, 2013

That's nice! I would like something similar but it must both tilt and swivel so it could work as an articulated display. Has anyone tried that with a ball head attached to hot shoe or some other solution?

rurikw's gear list:rurikw's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 +1 more
RUcrAZ
RUcrAZ OP
Like?
In reply to rurikw, Dec 13, 2013

I had never seen the ad for this "jackpod" but I think it's great! And, for $10 including shipping, a bargain (I would never have built one had I known about it, because when you add up the cost of all the pieces (including the glue) bought from scratch, it cost nearly the same; so I would have bought it.)

.... maybe the lack of interest you stated, had to do with the effectiveness of its advertising???

RUcrAZ
RUcrAZ OP
Like?
In reply to rurikw, Dec 13, 2013

rurikw wrote:

That's nice! I would like something similar but it must both tilt and swivel so it could work as an articulated display. Has anyone tried that with a ball head attached to hot shoe or some other solution?

I know there exist very small ball-heads which mount on accessory shoes, and have a (female) accessory shoe  on top (because I have one, but it is Europe at the moment) it's about 5cm (2 inches) high. The one I "built" simply fits on the accessory shoe of the cam without tilting. The one made for a tripod mount is moved, of course, by operating the tripod's head.

Search on Google for: ball head accessory shoe  and you will find a lot, (with some wild price ranges!)

See also the simple and inexpensive commercially-made model, mentioned by a previous poster.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads