My Biggest Complaint About The E-M1

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
twenty200
Regular MemberPosts: 453Gear list
Like?
My Biggest Complaint About The E-M1
10 months ago

Why did Olympus have to group Magnify, Color Creator, Highlight/Shadow Control, and Image Aspect under one button?  I think the Color Creator is such a powerful tool that it deserves the ability to assign it to its own button.  And Magnify absolutely deserves its own button.  Yes, I understand that I can click the multi-function button and scroll from one feature to the next, but that starts to feel like menu diving.  I'm mostly a street photographer.  I'll go into menus to set up a camera before shooting, but when I'm out shooting, I don't go into menus unless something has gone terribly wrong.

I think the Multi-Function is an excellent feature, but I'd rather be able to assign which options to assign to Multi-Function.  I don't think it makes sense to group Magnify with Color Creator.

I realize that may seem like a petty gripe, especially since I'm talking about a feature other cameras don't even have (the Color Creator), but really, in just about every other regard, Olympus seems to have knocked it out of the ballpark - perhaps WAY out of the ballpark - with the EM1.

-- hide signature --

This is the world, the way I see it: http://twenty200.com

twenty200's gear list:twenty200's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 27,396
Like?
Re: My Biggest Complaint About The E-M1
In reply to twenty200, 10 months ago

The only one of those I use on a regular basis is Magnify, all the others are "custom setup" things that I only use once in a great while. So, to me, grouping them into one multifunction button makes good sense. 99% of the time I tap the button twice and get the magnified view for critical focus adjustment, once in a while I switch to one of the other functions to set up the camera for a specific thing I'm working on.

It's as if the Magnify function were its own separate button, and the other things were the infrequent use items I get to with a little more effort.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
radsaq
Contributing MemberPosts: 702Gear list
Like?

You can set a second button as magnify and then leave the multi-function button set at color creator. Then you can access both.

-- hide signature --
 radsaq's gear list:radsaq's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
twenty200
Like?
In reply to radsaq, 10 months ago

OH!  I didn't know that.  Excellent!

-- hide signature --

Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro
griddi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,548Gear list
Like?

Off topic......

I had a look at your website, and although your photos are very good consider sharpness etc. most of them make me dizzy just to look at them, no offence though......

Griddi.......

griddi's gear list:griddi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica D-Lux 6 Olympus OM-D E-M5
twenty200
Like?
In reply to griddi, 10 months ago

griddi wrote:

Off topic......

I had a look at your website, and although your photos are very good consider sharpness etc. most of them make me dizzy just to look at them, no offence though......

Griddi.......

AHAHAAHAHAAAA!!!  No offense taken!  Yeah, I shoot a lot of patterns and stripes.  I'm a street photographer who shoots details rather than people.

-- hide signature --

Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 5,915Gear list
Like?

twenty200 wrote:

griddi wrote:

Off topic......

Griddi.......

AHAHAAHAHAAAA!!! No offense taken! Yeah, I shoot a lot of patterns and stripes. I'm a street photographer who shoots details rather than people.

-- hide signature --

*** Goes to have a look.

They're awesome and show a good sense of humour. I love it.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,779Gear list
Like?

twenty200 wrote: I think the Color Creator is such a powerful tool that it deserves the ability to assign it to its own button.

I think that it is a useless gimmick for jpg shooters that shall be buried deep in infamous Olympus menu system... as deep as possible...

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +23 more
Garry Schaefer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,915Gear list
Like?

About your site - a great trip! I tried my very best to get to the very last photo. There was no bottom, just more. Thanks for making these available.

-- hide signature --

Garry

Garry Schaefer's gear list:Garry Schaefer's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
twenty200
Like?
In reply to exdeejjjaaaa, 10 months ago

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

twenty200 wrote: I think the Color Creator is such a powerful tool that it deserves the ability to assign it to its own button.

I think that it is a useless gimmick for jpg shooters that shall be buried deep in infamous Olympus menu system... as deep as possible...

I completely disagree.  I think there's something to be said for getting the shot the way you want it, straight out of the camera, rather than doing everything in post.  The quality of my photography really jumped when I started shooting in black and white rather than shooting normally with a standard color profile and turning it all into B&W in post.  It's different.  Once I realized that, with an EVF, I could put the camera in B&W and see through the viewfinder in B&W, the way I saw the scene I was about to shoot changed - for the better.  I assume the Color Creator will give me even more of that sort of potential.

I totally get that most probably don't shoot that way, and that's fine for them.  I love being able to set a camera up to shoot the way I want the shot.  If I want to tweak it in post, I will...  but I love being able to get it as close as possible to exactly what I want when taking the shot.  That's one reason why, after switching to an EVF two years ago, I can't even imagine going back to an OVF.

-- hide signature --

Vinc T
Regular MemberPosts: 164
Like?
In reply to griddi, 10 months ago

griddi wrote:

Off topic......

Griddi.......

I was thinking, "Make you dizzy? Are you sure?" and then I looked at the website...

Yes, it makes me dizzy too! LOL!

To the OP, very nice photos! I must try something like that too. Thanks for sharing!

daddyo
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,274Gear list
Like?
The problem with Color Creator...

I agree that Color Creator can be a very handy feature.

I don't have a problem with it being accessed by the Multi-Function Button. What I do have a problem with is that once you access it via the M-F Button, you then have to open the SCP screen to change the Picture Mode back to whatever you want to use. The Color Creator stays as the Picture Mode even when you switch it off with the M-F Button.

I hope Olympus will provide a firmware fix to revert to the previous Picture Mode automatically after you switch off the Color Creator.

God Bless

Greg

www.imagismphotos.com

www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
twenty200
Like?
Re: The problem with Color Creator...
In reply to daddyo, 10 months ago

daddyo wrote:

I agree that Color Creator can be a very handy feature.

I suspect many will write it off as a gimmick, assuming its function is to create wacky Instagram or fake toy-camera shots, but that's their mistake.  The color creator can be used quite gracefully to add a sense of mood to a scene.  Warm it up, cool it down.  Get it the way you imagine it before even taking the shot.  And I've seen a demo somewhere where someone put an EM1 in monochrome or B&W and used the color creator to shift the scene a little blue or magenta.  It looked fantastic.

I'm trying to figure all of this stuff out because there's currently a $200 off deal on the 12-40mm pro lens (not a rebate!) when purchased with an EM1 body.  That looks like a fantastic lens, so I'm trying to finish my debating before that deal expires on Saturday.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads