RX 10 In Camera flash

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
David Gore
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,511
Like?
RX 10 In Camera flash
7 months ago

When I use the flash I find what works best for me is the following

1. Use the FN button and change auto ISO to usually between 125 and 200 ISO depending on the

distance

2. Set Aperature for desired effect but for me around 5.6 to 6.3

I found if I kept the ISO on auto ISO the camera would usually select a much higher ISO than I wanted and/or be overexposed.

Just sharing my .02

Biological_Viewfinder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,194
Like?
Re: RX 10 In Camera flash
In reply to David Gore, 7 months ago

David Gore wrote:

I found if I kept the ISO on auto ISO the camera would usually select a much higher ISO than I wanted and/or be overexposed.

That's sort of typical behavior really (especially indoors).

I think that generally it's just that our human eyes have so much dynamic range that we don't realize how complicated the light is for a camera.

Our eyes also have exceedingly good ISO range. We feel rather comfortable with indoor light, but almost no camera in existence can manage that low light without a flash or very long shutter speeds that blur anything that moves.

It would seem to me that it would make sense to have a combination sensor in the camera, just like any animal- The cones and the rods. A smaller secondary sensor that starts off at a base ISO of 3200, and can pick up good detail in the shadows, and the regular sensor to pick up the regular light without blowing out the light from outside coming through a window. Well, I guess we will have to wait for that in the future, but for now I'm glad though that you were able to find this solution that works for you.

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
David Gore
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,511
Like?
In reply to Biological_Viewfinder, 7 months ago

Your correct,,it is pretty basic stuff but thought it might be of some value to fellow hobbyists.

Biological_Viewfinder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,194
Like?

David Gore wrote:

2. Set Aperature for desired effect but for me around 5.6 to 6.3

I want to mention that these should be the sharpest apertures of all. So your pictures should be capable of being sharper than anyone else's just because this is your favorite effect. It's mine too, and I can hardly wait now that I know the camera is scheduled to be here tomorrow!

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

lancespring
Senior MemberPosts: 2,194Gear list
Like?
I experimented only a little with Flash

But I noticed this problem right away too.  Using AUTO ISO resulted in several overexposed photos.

I've not taken the time to pursue this and test the issue any further, though.

lancespring's gear list:lancespring's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads