FL-14 + E-M1 + Canon off-camera shoe cord mystery

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
HMi
HMi
Regular MemberPosts: 298Gear list
Like?
FL-14 + E-M1 + Canon off-camera shoe cord mystery
4 months ago

Tried to ask over at the u4/3 forum but got no answers.

I've been using the Canon off-camera shoe cord 2 with my Oly cam's and flashes. So far every single combination has worked but now the FL-14 used with the E-M1 do not work. Any ideas to what might be the reason?

The FL-14 works when used directly on the E-M1 and the FL-50 works both with the cord and without when used on the E-M1. The FL-14 works with the cord on the XZ-1 and the E-5.

So why on earth does the FL-14 not work with the cord on the E-M1???

Any ideas appreciated, Håkan

HMi's gear list:HMi's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
John Mason
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,615Gear list
Like?
great question
In reply to HMi, 4 months ago

I've also used my olympus flashes for years with my Canon cord, but haven't tried the combo since getting the EM1.

I'll try it tonight and see if I can duplicate your problem.

-- hide signature --
 John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pom_ZJ
Regular MemberPosts: 164
Like?
Re: FL-14 + E-M1 + Canon off-camera shoe cord mystery

Are you using fresh set of batteries?

John Mason
Like?
fl600r and em1 - Canon off cord flash - also doesn't work

Just checked, and while the focus assist light on the fl600r lights up when I have press the shutter button, the flash does not fire.

Moving the flash to the camera the flash does fire.

This is very odd, since I had thought that the Canon Off Shoe Flash Cord was simply a electrical connection.  And there are enough matching pins on both ends for this combo.

So, sadly, confirming that the EM1 and FL600r also does not work on the Canon Off Camera Flash cord.

I have a nice stroboframe bracket that I like to use with flash.  I guess the next thing to do is check if Olympus sells such a cable.

-- hide signature --
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
John Mason
Like?
I suppose I'll order the Olympus FL-CB05 cord
In reply to John Mason, 4 months ago

Looks like if I want to use my stroboframe with my EM1 and FL600r I'll need to get the Olympus FL-CB05 cable.
Too bad.  I've always been able to use the Canon off shoe flash cable for years for this purpose on either my Canon or Olympus cameras.

-- hide signature --
goblin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,506Gear list
Like?
Re: I suppose I'll order the Olympus FL-CB05 cord

- Wasn't there a setting in the menu on older flashes which was telling the flash whether it is being used with a cable or directly ? Some "CBL" option comes to mind...

- Is this setting present on the newer flashes ?

If it is not, then the Oly cable won't work neither.

Do you have a way to check your Canon cable and your FL600r on a camera other than the E-M1 ?

goblin's gear list:goblin's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-400 +31 more
Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 26,806
Like?
Re: fl600r and em1 - Canon off cord flash - also doesn't work

John Mason wrote:

Just checked, and while the focus assist light on the fl600r lights up when I have press the shutter button, the flash does not fire.

This is very odd, since I had thought that the Canon Off Shoe Flash Cord was simply a electrical connection. And there are enough matching pins on both ends for this combo.

So, sadly, confirming that the EM1 and FL600r also does not work on the Canon Off Camera Flash cord.

I have a nice stroboframe bracket that I like to use with flash. I guess the next thing to do is check if Olympus sells such a cable.

It might be a resistance or impedance issue. I remember that a couple of my Canon cords would not work correctly, and one of them didn't fit the shoe as nicely as the Olympus cable on the E-1 and L1. I haven't tried any of them on the E-M1 yet with the FL36. I don't have any of the newer flash units to test with.

-- hide signature --
Phil Rose
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,254Gear list
Like?
Re: fl600r and em1 - Canon off cord flash - also doesn't work
In reply to Godfrey, 4 months ago

Godfrey wrote:

John Mason wrote:

This is very odd, since I had thought that the Canon Off Shoe Flash Cord was simply a electrical connection. And there are enough matching pins on both ends for this combo.

I have a nice stroboframe bracket that I like to use with flash. I guess the next thing to do is check if Olympus sells such a cable.

It might be a resistance or impedance issue. I remember that a couple of my Canon cords would not work correctly, and one of them didn't fit the shoe as nicely as the Olympus cable on the E-1 and L1. I haven't tried any of them on the E-M1 yet with the FL36. I don't have any of the newer flash units to test with.

I posted a couple of months ago about not being able to get TTL operation when using my (3rd party Canon-style) cable for the FL -36 with an E-3. The discusion then centered around possible (im)proper matchups at connector pin-positions (e.g., someone claimed they could get TTL to work but only with some "jiggling" of the connector--but that never worked for me).

Now I'm  suspicious that an impedence issue might actually be the cause. With my cable, the flash trigger operates OK, but the FL-36 displays only the manual mode.

Phil

-- hide signature --
 Phil Rose's gear list:Phil Rose's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +5 more
Phil Rose
Like?
BTW, goblin is correct...
In reply to Phil Rose, 4 months ago

Phil Rose wrote:

Godfrey wrote:

John Mason wrote:

I posted a couple of months ago about not being able to get TTL operation when using my (3rd party Canon-style) cable for the FL -36 with an E-3. The discusion then centered around possible (im)proper matchups at connector pin-positions (e.g., someone claimed they could get TTL to work but only with some "jiggling" of the connector--but that never worked for me).

Now I'm suspicious that an impedence issue might actually be the cause. With my cable, the flash trigger operates OK, but the FL-36 displays only the manual mode.

As mentioned in goblin's post, there is a flash "setup" procedure whereby--among other things--you can tell the flash if it's being used on- or off-camera ( assume that "off" means a cable). For my FL-36, I tried using both options but it made no difference in respect to enabling a TTL (or FP) mode when used with my 3rd-party cable.

Phil

-- hide signature --
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +5 more
Gerry Siegel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,268
Like?

I just tested as you did, the Canon style off shoe cord (Vello brand) with my FL 50.  Since it works fine in all modes and fires and turns on and off, you do have a curious problem to report.

My neighbor always says the first thing in troubleshooting is to thoroughly clean and polish the contacts.  I am doubtful about the other speculations....a flash is a flash.  It should be no different from all other Olympus and Panasonic flashes.  That doesn't help....but do try cleaning all the pins.  Can't hurt.

Gerry Siegel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,268
Like?
In reply to Gerry Siegel, 4 months ago

Gerry Siegel wrote:

I just tested as you did, the Canon style off shoe cord (Vello brand) with my FL 50. Since it works fine in all modes and fires and turns on and off, you do have a curious problem to report.

My neighbor always says the first thing in troubleshooting is to thoroughly clean and polish the contacts. I am doubtful about the other speculations....a flash is a flash. It should be no different from all other Olympus and Panasonic flashes. That doesn't help....but do try cleaning all the pins. Can't hurt.

And I even tried the Canon Vello brand B and H cable with my really old FL 20  mini flash----with full functionality, surprise. Contacts are still there and match up....  Vello btw makes a good product at a reasonable price vis a vis the Olympus cord, which is why I am using it after Oly cord became de soldered on me.

John Mason
Like?
Ha - not any more :)
In reply to goblin, 4 months ago

Up until 2 weeks ago I could have tested it on an e1, e30, e5 or 5d3.  They are all gone now.

hmmmm - I do have an ep1 on loan to one of my kids.

That's an interesting thought about the menu.  I'll take a look.  It's just a simple hard wire connection.  I can't think of any reason is shouldn't work, so your menu though might be the just the ticket!

-- hide signature --
John Mason
Like?
cbl on or off menu choice - no change

I found the cable on or off menu choice - page 36 of the fl-600r manual and it made no difference.

The camera is aware the flash is there as my shutter speeds are locked down between 1/60th and 1/320th, the assist light will come on with a 1/2 press, and the flash changes from A to TTL A mode when I turn the camera on.
It's just the firing of the flash that does not work.  I also tried in the flash menu - auto mode, fill flash and some other modes.  I turned up underexposure to force the flash to fire.  I've tried A and M modes.  Of course, without the cable with the fl-600r on the camera, the flash works as expected.
I'm guessing it's as posted earlier, just some sort of electrical issue like impedance that is enough out of spec to not work on the EM1.

-- hide signature --
Jouko
Senior MemberPosts: 1,180
Like?
Canon OC-E3 cable works with Em1

Just tested with FL50R and FL36R... Only one problem: I had to take off also the second part of the shoe and AP2-connection covers. The AP2-cover protects the "hole" under the hot shoe, and the rubber part of the OC-E3 shoe hits the cover...

PS. Just tried to take of the rubber... Easy. Works too, and the AP2-cover can stay on place. I'll stick with this combo. Better to protect the inside...

Jouko
'The best camera in the world is the one you have with you when you need it'
http://lehtokukka.smugmug.com/
http://jouko-lehto.artistwebsites.com/

Phil Rose
Like?
Re: Canon OC-E3 cable works with Em1
In reply to Jouko, 4 months ago

Jouko wrote:

Just tested with FL50R and FL36R... Only one problem: I had to take off also the second part of the shoe and AP2-connection covers. The AP2-cover protects the "hole" under the hot shoe, and the rubber part of the OC-E3 shoe hits the cover...

My cable is probably a diferent brand (Pixel) than yours, so I'm having trouble understanding: what is the "rubber part" on the cable shoe that you're referring to?

Phil

http://pirose.zenfolio.com

Jouko
Senior MemberPosts: 1,180
Like?
Some kind of weather sealing...

It is a rubber seal surrounding the "real" hot shoe. Not glued or anything, you can just take it off and put it back. No other function as far as I can quess without a Canon camera - and I have hard time quessing any more purposes for it.
The cable woks fine without it, locks to the place fine etc. Attaching maybe a bit more easier.

Jouko
'The best camera in the world is the one you have with you when you need it'
http://lehtokukka.smugmug.com/
http://jouko-lehto.artistwebsites.com/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads