A 3rd lens choice for my X-M1

Started Dec 12, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
CameraGuyTV Forum Member • Posts: 54
A 3rd lens choice for my X-M1

I am so happy with my X-M1, that I have decided to sell my micro 4/3rds system, so I have a little money to reward myself with a 3rd lens.

I have the 16-50 kit, and the 35mm f1.4

I am thinking about the 50-200, but wonder about the usefulness of such a long lens for a body I bought for it's compact size.

I'm not looking to replace the 80-200 and 300mm f2.8's I have for my D800.

So, what would you do with $600 or so to add some functionality and usefulness to this small system camera we all love so well.

D

Fujifilm X-M1 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Red5TX
Red5TX Senior Member • Posts: 1,586
Re: A 3rd lens choice for my X-M1

60mm. It's pretty small, so would balance well on the X-M1.  It's ultra-sharp, so it will be an improvement over the 16-50.  And it (sort of) does macro, which is fun.  Plus it's longer than anything you currently own.

ajamils1
ajamils1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,587

Either get 60mm Macro or 23mm. Both will be good but 60mm macro will also work as a short telephoto lens. Don't get 55-200 because it will be horrible in handling on X-M1.

ajamils1's gear list:ajamils1's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +3 more
57LowRider Senior Member • Posts: 3,766

Depends on what you like to do with your photography, but I reckon the 27 pancake is a no-brainer with the X-M1, you would get away with murder on the street with that little package - and an ideal combo with tilt LCD. Candids ahoy.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +10 more
CameraGuyTV OP Forum Member • Posts: 54

I am fond of pancake lenses, and one of my 4/3rd lenses is the 20mm.

Do you have any experience with it from a sharpness standpoint?

D

Red5TX
Red5TX Senior Member • Posts: 1,586

57LowRider wrote:

Depends on what you like to do with your photography, but I reckon the 27 pancake is a no-brainer with the X-M1, you would get away with murder on the street with that little package - and an ideal combo with tilt LCD. Candids ahoy.

He's got the focal length covered with the kit zoom and 27mm is pretty close to the 35 he also owns.  I understand the appeal of a pancake, but I'm not sure this lens would get him much photographically.  It's not like the 27 is known for being exceptionally good optically.

On a perfect day, life, I am a wildlife photographer, but obviously, it's not the reason I bought the M1.

Maybe you are right, and I'm covered with the two lenses I have now. I think the kit lens is pretty good, and the 35 is great for low light and shallow DOF.

Like earlier comments, maybe the 50-200 would not perform well, so I might consider something that would be low profile, low light, but great sharpness.

Perhaps that's what I should put my $$ into.

D

BillCPA Regular Member • Posts: 209

CameraGuyTV wrote:

On a perfect day, life, I am a wildlife photographer, but obviously, it's not the reason I bought the M1.

Maybe you are right, and I'm covered with the two lenses I have now. I think the kit lens is pretty good, and the 35 is great for low light and shallow DOF.

Like earlier comments, maybe the 50-200 would not perform well, so I might consider something that would be low profile, low light, but great sharpness.

Perhaps that's what I should put my $$ into.

D

56/1.2 when it comes out, but probably a bunch of $$$$$

BillCPA's gear list:BillCPA's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
mnhoj Forum Member • Posts: 51

Save a little more and pick up a used 14mm.

Eddaweaver Senior Member • Posts: 2,231

I am thinking about the 50-200, but wonder about the usefulness of such a long lens for a body I bought for it's compact size.

It's 55-200mm. Think about the 50-230mm as it's smaller, lighter, cheaper and has a more useful zoom range.

FrankB2 Regular Member • Posts: 239

The 27 pancake.

As for having the focal length "covered" already by the zoom - just try to put even an X-M1 in a jacket pocket with a zoom lens attached.  Redundancy is not always a bad thing.

I've been using an X-E1 as a travel camera for the last 9 months or so now, and just got an X-M1 with the 27, partly to use as a backup to the X-E1, partly for when I wanted to try some things with the tilting LCD, and partly as a small camera that my wife could drop in her purse .  We used it a lot on our last trip, for all three of those uses, and it was great.  It really does fit in a jacket pocket with the 27 mounted.

mjl699
mjl699 Regular Member • Posts: 309

CameraGuyTV wrote:

I am so happy with my X-M1, that I have decided to sell my micro 4/3rds system, so I have a little money to reward myself with a 3rd lens.

I have the 16-50 kit, and the 35mm f1.4

I'm not looking to replace the 80-200 and 300mm f2.8's I have for my D800.

So, what would you do with $600 or so to add some functionality and usefulness to this small system camera we all love so well.

D

Advice 1

You have 80-200 and 300mm (135mm ==).

No need for Fuji 60mm, although it is a great lens (probably better than any you have).

Ditch the 16-50 for the 18-55mm (better lens).

Get the 14mm or if that is too wide, the 23mm (although $$$$)?

Advice 2

Keep the zooms on your Nikon and go all prime on Fuji, either 14/35/90 or 23/56?

I don't have the zooms (only the 14/23/35/60) and I don't miss them. The quality on the primes, as you know from the 35, is amazing. 35 is the easiest to get a bit of "magic".

-- hide signature --

mjl599

mjl699's gear list:mjl699's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
dengx Senior Member • Posts: 1,020

CameraGuyTV wrote:

I am fond of pancake lenses, and one of my 4/3rd lenses is the 20mm.

Do you have any experience with it from a sharpness standpoint?

Exceptionally sharp.

http://www.photozone.de/fuji_x/855-fuji27f28

It is very close to your 35 though (not to mention the zoom).

Regards

Eddaweaver wrote:

It's 55-200mm. Think about the 50-230mm as it's smaller, lighter, cheaper and has a more useful zoom range.

Not sure I want the aperture range of the 50-230.

I think I am leaning towards a wide angle prime. Yes, my kit lens covers it, but I like fast apertures for DOF control, size and weight.

Thanks though for the thoughts.

D

mjl699 wrote:

You have 80-200 and 300mm (135mm ==).

No need for Fuji 60mm, although it is a great lens (probably better than any you have).

Ditch the 16-50 for the 18-55mm (better lens).

Get the 14mm or if that is too wide, the 23mm (although $$$$)?

Advice 2

Keep the zooms on your Nikon and go all prime on Fuji, either 14/35/90 or 23/56?

I don't have the zooms (only the 14/23/35/60) and I don't miss them. The quality on the primes, as you know from the 35, is amazing. 35 is the easiest to get a bit of "magic".

-- hide signature --

mjl599

OK, have not seen a 90mm. I think the 60mm would be a better choice as it would mimic the traditional 90mm portrait/macro lens look. I like the price of it too.

Now the 14mm interests me too.

And, I would be very happy if the 60mm was better than my Nikon Primes, but my 50mm f1.4 is among the best lenses I have ever used. It is on my D800 right now, and has not been off it for a while.

So many good answers

D

larsenste Forum Member • Posts: 64

Red5TX wrote:

57LowRider wrote:

He's got the focal length covered with the kit zoom and 27mm is pretty close to the 35 he also owns. I understand the appeal of a pancake, but I'm not sure this lens would get him much photographically. It's not like the 27 is known for being exceptionally good optically.

I use the 27 on my X-E1 and in my opinion it's very nearly in the same league as the 35 for optical quality, and noticeably better than the 18-55 zoom for sharpness. I feel like this lens has got a bit of a bad rap on these forums, I wonder if those comments were from hands on experience though, because I was happily surprised. Photozone review recently reviewed it too:

Tom Zimmer
Tom Zimmer Contributing Member • Posts: 556

CameraGuyTV wrote:

D

I guess I'm jumping in here late, but I bought the Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 LTM and an LTM to X-Mount adapter which makes for a very compact system. The 15mm is manual focus of course, but it has a pretty wide DOF so I have been using zone focusing pretty effectively. I really like it, and it is way cheaper than Fuji's 14mm. By the way I tend to shoot with it at f/8 which makes focusing really easy.

Here is an eBay link to one like I have, which is the older style;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Voigtlander-Super-Wide-Heliar-15-mm-F-4-5-Aspherical-Lens-For-Leica-L-maunt-/231113597279?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item35cf71a15f

-- hide signature --

Tom Zimmer
http://photobubba.com/
Fuji X-E1, Sony A77
And my old friends - Sigma DP2, SD10, SD14

Tom Zimmer wrote:

CameraGuyTV wrote:

D

I guess I'm jumping in here late, but I bought the Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 LTM and an LTM to X-Mount adapter which makes for a very compact system. The 15mm is manual focus of course, but it has a pretty wide DOF so I have been using zone focusing pretty effectively. I really like it, and it is way cheaper than Fuji's 14mm. By the way I tend to shoot with it at f/8 which makes focusing really easy.

Here is an eBay link to one like I have, which is the older style;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Voigtlander-Super-Wide-Heliar-15-mm-F-4-5-Aspherical-Lens-For-Leica-L-maunt-/231113597279?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item35cf71a15f

-- hide signature --

Tom Zimmer
http://photobubba.com/
Fuji X-E1, Sony A77
And my old friends - Sigma DP2, SD10, SD14

Interesting idea. Worth some study.

Thanks

D

Spud0 Regular Member • Posts: 269

larsenste wrote:

Red5TX wrote:

57LowRider wrote:

He's got the focal length covered with the kit zoom and 27mm is pretty close to the 35 he also owns. I understand the appeal of a pancake, but I'm not sure this lens would get him much photographically. It's not like the 27 is known for being exceptionally good optically.

I use the 27 on my X-E1 and in my opinion it's very nearly in the same league as the 35 for optical quality, and noticeably better than the 18-55 zoom for sharpness. I feel like this lens has got a bit of a bad rap on these forums, I wonder if those comments were from hands on experience though, because I was happily surprised. Photozone review recently reviewed it too:

I'm glad to hear that.

I just ordered a 27mm to go with my x-e1. I have a DSLR already, so the x-e1 is my "street photography" and travel camera. Something LIGHT and discreet I can bring into pubs with the friends or down the street and have people ignore it as a P&S. So a pancake was a must for me.

I agree that the 27mm has mixed reviews but it seems like its reputation is turning around for the better as more empirical testing is coming out. As a pancake lens - I'm sure it isn't a world-beater, but Hopefully i don't come to regret it.

Spud0's gear list:Spud0's gear list
Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
57LowRider Senior Member • Posts: 3,766

Spud0 wrote:

larsenste wrote:

Red5TX wrote:

57LowRider wrote:

I'm glad to hear that.

I just ordered a 27mm to go with my x-e1. I have a DSLR already, so the x-e1 is my "street photography" and travel camera. Something LIGHT and discreet I can bring into pubs with the friends or down the street and have people ignore it as a P&S. So a pancake was a must for me.

I agree that the 27mm has mixed reviews but it seems like its reputation is turning around for the better as more empirical testing is coming out. As a pancake lens - I'm sure it isn't a world-beater, but Hopefully i don't come to regret it.

Nowt wrong wi' it http://www.flickr.com/photos/95540165@N08/11383584253/

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads