E-PL3 Sensor cover glass broken

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
EVAGORAS
Regular MemberPosts: 496Gear list
Like?
E-PL3 Sensor cover glass broken
8 months ago

I received an E-PL3 today from ebay, seller claims it was slightly used, only problem the battery door has difficulty to lock and unlock. Anyway it seems the camera must have fell on the floor (reason the battery door has difficulty locking and unlocking.)

The worst however was the sensor cover glass is broken in to two pieces, the seller claims he did not notice that it was broken, before shipping.

My question is is it ok to just remove the two broken pieces of glass, without any consequences that will hinder the performance of the cameras photos.

Thanks

EVAGORAS's gear list:EVAGORAS's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z1085 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Sony SLT-A58 Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +17 more
Olympus PEN E-PL3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Thorgrem
Regular MemberPosts: 395Gear list
Like?
Re: E-PL3 Sensor cover glass broken
In reply to EVAGORAS, 8 months ago

Sensor cover? For me it's difficult to get what you mean. Do you have a photo of it?

I am not aware of any glass that covers the sensor.

Thorgrem's gear list:Thorgrem's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EVAGORAS
Like?
In reply to Thorgrem, 8 months ago

I can post a photo tomorrow but I found a similar photo of the problem I have on the internet.

http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=28093

Thanks

Kodak EasyShare Z1085 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Sony SLT-A58 Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +17 more
lnikj
Regular MemberPosts: 188Gear list
Like?

Afraid so. It's toast. Try to get your money back.

lnikj's gear list:lnikj's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1
TheEye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,111
Like?

EVAGORAS wrote:

I received an E-PL3 today from ebay, seller claims it was slightly used, only problem the battery door has difficulty to lock and unlock. Anyway it seems the camera must have fell on the floor (reason the battery door has difficulty locking and unlocking.)

The worst however was the sensor cover glass is broken in to two pieces, the seller claims he did not notice that it was broken, before shipping.

My question is is it ok to just remove the two broken pieces of glass, without any consequences that will hinder the performance of the cameras photos.

Thanks

If the low-pass filter is removed, it must be replaced with another piece of glass of specific characteristics. The low-pass filter is also an IR filter.

Return the camera for a refund. If the impact was hard enoug to shatter the AA filter, there is likely other serious damage.

baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,067Gear list
Like?

It's broken. You're getting robbed if you don't return it.

Tech speculation. An exposed silicon sensor  like that will quickly attract dust which the Oly dust buster cannot remove as it shakes the cover not the sensor.  Also, moisture and humidity will kill it eventually.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
EVAGORAS
Like?
In reply to baxters, 8 months ago

Thanks for all your replies,

I have contacted the seller, and we have come to an agreement to get a refund for the body and just keep the lens.

In the mean time does anybody know if I can purchase a E-PL3 sensor cover and replace it myself??

Fredrik Glckner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,536
Like?

Removing or changing the low pass filter in front of the sensor is usually a very complicated operation. It normally requires stripping down the whole camera, from the rear. So unless you know what you are doing, this is just not possible for you to do yourself.

http://m43photo.blogspot.com

agentul
Contributing MemberPosts: 596Gear list
Like?

baxters wrote:

Tech speculation. An exposed silicon sensor like that will quickly attract dust which the Oly dust buster cannot remove as it shakes the cover not the sensor. Also, moisture and humidity will kill it eventually.

so you're saying that when we talk about dust or pollen "on the sensor", or "sensor cleaning", we're actually talking about the protective glass in front of it? then i have to wonder why these parts are not easily replaceable - once they become contaminated or smeared beyond cleaning, we should be able to put a new one in ourselves.

agentul's gear list:agentul's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2 +1 more
Olymore
Senior MemberPosts: 1,166
Like?
In reply to agentul, 8 months ago

I believe the filter is one of the more expensive parts of the camera and must be carefully aligned to do its job properly.

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people.
Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Sho-Bud
Regular MemberPosts: 332Gear list
Like?
In reply to Fredrik Glckner, 8 months ago

How much would it cost if Olympus would repair it? If the cost is not to high, it still may be worthwhile.

-- hide signature --

###Olympus XZ-1, Olympus SP550UZ; Olympus 2003 Ferrari Edition, Capture One 7###

lnikj
Like?
In reply to Sho-Bud, 8 months ago

I very much doubt that you will find that it is economically repairable.

AG
AG
Regular MemberPosts: 244Gear list
Like?
In reply to lnikj, 8 months ago

and what it is not just filter but more internals broken?

AG's gear list:AG's gear list
Nokia Lumia 1520
EVAGORAS
Like?

agentul wrote:

baxters wrote:

Tech speculation. An exposed silicon sensor like that will quickly attract dust which the Oly dust buster cannot remove as it shakes the cover not the sensor. Also, moisture and humidity will kill it eventually.

so you're saying that when we talk about dust or pollen "on the sensor", or "sensor cleaning", we're actually talking about the protective glass in front of it? then i have to wonder why these parts are not easily replaceable - once they become contaminated or smeared beyond cleaning, we should be able to put a new one in ourselves.

Good point - Agentul!

baxters
Like?
In reply to Sho-Bud, 8 months ago

Sho-Bud wrote:

How much would it cost if Olympus would repair it? If the cost is not to high, it still may be worthwhile.

-- hide signature --

###Olympus XZ-1, Olympus SP550UZ; Olympus 2003 Ferrari Edition, Capture One 7###

In the USA, per their repair page, flat rate of $159.99 to repair an EPL1.  Still 2X what a body is worth, although you get 3 months warranty on the repair.

lnikj
Like?

EVAGORAS wrote:

agentul wrote:

baxters wrote:

Good point - Agentul!

Then how would they force you to buy a new camera once it fails outside warranty? 

agentul
Contributing MemberPosts: 596Gear list
Like?
In reply to lnikj, 8 months ago

lnikj wrote:

Then how would they force you to buy a new camera once it fails outside warranty?

well, first of all i was referring to the glass covering the sensor (color filter or not, i think a solution could be found to make it replaceable). so replacing this only covers a limited number of scenarios, most of which are probably solved today by sending the camera to be serviced. it would be similar to user-replaceable BIOS chips that certain motherboards have (or had?). I had one like that, and I had to replace the chip after flashing the BIOS with the wrong firmware accidentally. that did not stop me from upgrading to a newer model a few years later.

agentul's gear list:agentul's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2 +1 more
baxters
Like?

These are cool, at least to this engineer.

The cover glass is the round piece. From fareastgizmos.com

Three phillips screws and it's off! Of course, you have to take the whole camera apart to get here.

EVAGORAS
Like?

I finally got from the seller a partial refund for the broken camera.

I have now put the camera back on ebay as spares or repairs.

superstar905
Senior MemberPosts: 1,127
Like?

Thanks for all your replies,

I have contacted the seller, and we have come to an agreement to get a refund for the body and just keep the lens.

In the mean time does anybody know if I can purchase a E-PL3 sensor cover and replace it myself??

sorry, I would not trust even the glass if I was you.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads