London with my NEX-6

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
chromnd
Regular MemberPosts: 359Gear list
Like?
London with my NEX-6
11 months ago

With all the tech talk going on about the A7(r) I just felt the urge to drop a view pictures here.

The pictures are from a trip to London this summer. Outdoors I mainly used the SEL18200 and the SEL1018. Here is a selection:

Piccadilly Circus: I had the ISO accidentally set to 800 (was shooting in the underground station before)

Leicester Square

View from St. Pauls

Town hall

Java Wharf

Themes and the Shard

Buckingham Palace

C&C is of course welcome.

chromnd's gear list:chromnd's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +5 more
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
vajrasattva
Senior MemberPosts: 1,039Gear list
Like?
Re: London with my NEX-6
In reply to chromnd, 11 months ago

I like your shots - nice composition and I even like the PP.  One thing I find interesting from seeing these images is how much I have moved from the narrow views of longer lenses to the much wider views of wide angle lenses. I always used to use my 18200 invariably at the longer end. No longer so. The 1018 changed my perspective literally and now it and the 30 are my favourites.  So your shots confirm this to me. Which are my favourites - the wide shots.

nice work. let's see more.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 5,345Gear list
Like?

Really gold shots and great processing too!

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
PeteC21
Contributing MemberPosts: 546Gear list
Like?

Nice photos and I concur that I too prefer the wide over the long end.

I just picked up the 10-18 and are looking forward to using it along with the Tamron 18-200.  BTW, I had a small Tamrac bag that I've been using with my 5N kit but now that I have the 10-18 I'm looking at picking up another bag that would include the 5N, 10-18, 18-200, and either the SEL 50 or maybe a mini tripod.  Any suggestions?

-- hide signature --

"If I knew how to take a good photograph, I'd do it every time." - Robert Doisneau

PeteC21's gear list:PeteC21's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A77 Sony a6000 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +11 more
Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,383
Like?

Lovely pictures, but I think they'd be even better with much more conservative PP...

-- hide signature --

"If you don't have an expression, you don't have a shot" - Peter Hurley.
http://itsnotthecamera.wordpress.com/

chromnd
Like?
In reply to Marla2008, 11 months ago

Marla2008 wrote:

Lovely pictures, but I think they'd be even better with much more conservative PP...

Yes, I know, I'm applying sometimes a lot of PP to my images and I'm aware that a lot of people don't like that. But for some reason I can't resist When I look at other photos I also tend to like the more post processed images better then the more natural looking.

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +5 more
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,036Gear list
Like?

chromnd wrote:

Marla2008 wrote:

Yes, I know, I'm applying sometimes a lot of PP to my images and I'm aware that a lot of people don't like that. But for some reason I can't resist When I look at other photos I also tend to like the more post processed images better then the more natural looking.

I agree - your post-processed images may be a bit on the heavy side, but not objectionably so. They add to the impact.

I've been a strong proponent of the wide shot, and London encourages it. I was there for 2 days of meetings this past September, and I got very little time to shoot - but here are two of my shots, with the 16mm f2,8 SEL16F28 and UWA (effective 12.5mm):

Shot through double-pane windows - when an old friend and business partner invited me to lunch with this view, I just HAD to gab a shot!

So much for the need for OSS in wide angles - this was shot HDR at 1/3rd second - the London Apple store is a few yards behind me.

While it's popular to slam the inexpensive SEL16F28/UWA combination as being unacceptably soft are the edges and corners, the shot above was exposed hand-held HDR at f4, 1/3rd second. You can a-l-m-o-s-t read the menu board in Nicholson's bar at far left. At that shutter speed and aperture, I'm not sure the 10-18 at 2-1/2 to 3x more would do substantially better.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
chromnd
Like?
Messenger Bag
In reply to PeteC21, 11 months ago

PeteC21 wrote:

Nice photos and I concur that I too prefer the wide over the long end.

Thanks!

I just picked up the 10-18 and are looking forward to using it along with the Tamron 18-200. BTW, I had a small Tamrac bag that I've been using with my 5N kit but now that I have the 10-18 I'm looking at picking up another bag that would include the 5N, 10-18, 18-200, and either the SEL 50 or maybe a mini tripod. Any suggestions?

I use a messenger bag (this one to be exact ). I bought an extra inlay (this one) and inserted it into the laptop compartment of the bag. The inlay can hold a nex-6 with attached lens + 2 other lenses. The bag can also hold additional stuff, like a mini tripod, keys, cellphone, ...

It's my everyday companion.

chromnd
Like?
In reply to Mel Snyder, 11 months ago

Very nice! And nice pub too, it's near Covent Garden. I've been in this pub.

Mel Snyder
Like?

chromnd wrote:

Very nice! And nice pub too, it's near Covent Garden. I've been in this pub.

Thanks! I was really searching for a Punjabi restaurant in the neighborhood. I am a big fan of Indian food, and cannot get too much of it in London. A business associate took me to Chutney Mary the night before, but that wasn't enough...it never is.

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
tri x
Contributing MemberPosts: 669Gear list
Like?

First of all thanks for posting, it's great to see results rather than hype.   Brilliant set of photographs and really well done.  You have got the eye for sure.  My fave is the wharf at low tide.  Nice one!

Cheers John

tri x's gear list:tri x's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +4 more
LesHoug
Junior MemberPosts: 49Gear list
Like?

Great pictures, but in number 2 you where standing in Trafalgar square, looking down Whitehall towards Big Ben, good shot though.

Les

LesHoug's gear list:LesHoug's gear list
Sony RX100 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100
koibag
Junior MemberPosts: 49Gear list
Like?

Funny I went out to shoot London last night. Here are a couple

Rest are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/koibag/sets/72157638592314236/

koibag's gear list:koibag's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +5 more
120 to 35
Senior MemberPosts: 1,006
Like?

IMO, in 1 and 4 the empty foreground does nothing for the photo. A long, panorama style crop would offer a better composition.

Mel Snyder
Like?
In reply to koibag, 11 months ago

Lovely shots!

Mel Snyder
Like?
In reply to 120 to 35, 11 months ago

120 to 35 wrote:

IMO, in 1 and 4 the empty foreground does nothing for the photo. A long, panorama style crop would offer a better composition.

I completely disagree! the lines in the foreground of each contribute to the "vanishing point" perspective of both.

uhligfd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,311
Like?
In reply to 120 to 35, 11 months ago

And besides, to avoid keystoning effects with WA lenses the lens had to be held near level with the horizon or the pictures 1 and 4 would have been  'triangular' with converging verticals.

Try it out, critical viewer, just once and you will see  what I mean. Great control and understanding of this lens!

narenek
Regular MemberPosts: 219Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mel Snyder, 11 months ago

Some nice shots of London  

I recently had a 3 day training course there, so on 2 days I took the Nex 6 and the kit 18-55 with me and stayed behind to get some shots. 1st day I went down oxford street and regent street to see the Christmas lights (and spend some playtime in Hamleys toy shop ). Second night I went to Tower Bridge and took some shots. Unfortunately the second night was a lot of low clouds and a little fog which made the sky quite orange in a lot of the shots. I mixed between in camera HDR, HHT and 2EV bracket so see what would come out best. The HHT did ok but I felt the shots were flat compared to the in camera HDR, which showed much nicer colour (to me at least). PP was mostly - on the highlights, + on the shadows with vibrance and clarity upped (and WB altered cos i had it set on flahs...D'oh!!)

Shot from Tower Bridge hand held  in camera HDR

Tower bridge again hand held in camera HDR

Fountain just by Tower Bridge, Single shot with built in flash

Fountain again 2Ev bracket

Regent Street, in camera HDR

I love London and can't wait till my kids get old enough they can be my excuse for visiting... bring on the Natural history museum and the Dinosaurs!!!

narenek's gear list:narenek's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
zilver
Contributing MemberPosts: 523Gear list
Like?

great shots of my favourite city

very nice viewpoint and composition.

zilver's gear list:zilver's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony Alpha 7S Leica T
120 to 35
Senior MemberPosts: 1,006
Like?
In reply to uhligfd, 11 months ago

uhligfd wrote:

And besides, to avoid keystoning effects with WA lenses the lens had to be held near level with the horizon or the pictures 1 and 4 would have been 'triangular' with converging verticals.

Try it out, critical viewer, just once and you will see what I mean. Great control and understanding of this lens!

The OP says "C&C is of course welcome."

You are right about pointing the lens at the horizon, but we also crop the resulting frame for composition. Some shift the lens up on a tilt-and-shift lens to reduce the foreground. I happen to use one of these on another type of camera.

In 1, the camera is pointing slightly upwards, probably to lose some of the foreground. The composition of the buildings and the lamp post is strong enough. I suggested cropping the foreground of the frame (perhaps by 1/8 of the height).

In 4, the lines on the ground pointing to the Shard are pretty strong. The OP could have moved  and waited to lose the people in the left and right foreground. The people in the center enhance the composition. Then the foreground could be reduced by cropping. As it is, perhaps another approach to 4 would be to crop the sides, resulting in an square or 4x5 horizontal.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads