D7100 & AF-S 80-400mm shoot aircraft

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
starman1969
Senior MemberPosts: 2,429Gear list
Like?
D7100 & AF-S 80-400mm shoot aircraft
10 months ago

Nipped out to take these two BAE Typhoon jets. I don't do a whole lot of aviation photography, so this was a test of my panning skills. Pretty happy with them, but I could have included the tail fins on No 3. C&C's welcome.

1) Taxi up

2) Static Pair

3) Take off

-- hide signature --

They are watching us......

starman1969's gear list:starman1969's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +5 more
Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Escape
Regular MemberPosts: 340Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 & AF-S 80-400mm shoot aircraft
In reply to starman1969, 10 months ago

These are surprisingly sharp considering how slow your shutter speed was on a moving target at 250mm.  I think I'd try bumping up ISO a bit to allow you to shoot at faster shutter speed.  Or open up the aperture a little more.

Nice ones, regardless.

Escape's gear list:Escape's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM | C
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
blue_cheese
Senior MemberPosts: 1,423
Like?

Whats up with the residential houses behind the chainlink fence.... what sort of airport/base is this

-- hide signature --

"There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil."
- Ayn Rand

starman1969
Like?
In reply to blue_cheese, 10 months ago

blue_cheese wrote:

Whats up with the residential houses behind the chainlink fence.... what sort of airport/base is this

-- hide signature --

"There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil."
- Ayn Rand

Good question. I was surprised that nobody was looking out of the windows. Maybe they don't even hear the thunderous noise because they are so used to it. My ears are still ringing now. It is very close to a residential area. There are also numerous retirement trailer/caravan parks in the area.

BAE Systems, Warton Lancashire England. The jets were being delivered to the Royal Saudi Air Force.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +5 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Nice. I use the same lens for cricket and am always amazed at how fast it goes.

Was there a reason for not using the 70-200?  I see the fl was 250.  If I understand correctly, you would have had a nice bokeh to remove the housing and sharper images?  Its the choice of lens I am trying to get my head around

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

I believe thats where they make the composite wings for the Airbus?  and get the Guppy transport plane through there to take them down to Toulouse?

starman1969
Like?
In reply to ccnp, 10 months ago

ccnp wrote:

Nice. I use the same lens for cricket and am always amazed at how fast it goes.

Was there a reason for not using the 70-200? I see the fl was 250. If I understand correctly, you would have had a nice bokeh to remove the housing and sharper images? Its the choice of lens I am trying to get my head around

Thanks for the comment. To be honest I was torn between which one to take out. I chose the 80-400 because I thought I might need the longer reach. The 70-200 would have allowed a larger aperture, but with the panning I have blurred the background well enough in the take of shot.

The facility you were thinking about is Broughton, Ellesmere Port, where the Airbus wings are made.

-- hide signature --

herbymel
Senior MemberPosts: 3,700Gear list
Like?

starman1969 wrote:

blue_cheese wrote:

-- hide signature --

- Ayn Rand

Good question. I was surprised that nobody was looking out of the windows. Maybe they don't even hear the thunderous noise because they are so used to it. My ears are still ringing now. It is very close to a residential area. There are also numerous retirement trailer/caravan parks in the area.

BAE Systems, Warton Lancashire England. The jets were being delivered to the Royal Saudi Air Force.

-- hide signature --

Some local airports are used for touch and go training...not sure if that's the case here...I was driving down the highway the other day when I had a jet come right over my cars rooftop, they have to come in and leave right through residential areas.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads