Jazz Band w/ NEX-5

Started 7 months ago | Photos
Rich O
Regular MemberPosts: 261Gear list
Like?
Jazz Band w/ NEX-5
7 months ago

Some recent shots w/ NEX-5 plus Tamron 90mm + 2x Tele-converter

Effective FL of 270mm,

Had to crank up ISO between 3200 and 6400 as it was quite dark @ f/5.

C&C welcome

NEX-5, Tamron 90mm + 2x

NEX-5, Tamron 90mm + 2x

NEX-5, Tamron 90mm + 2x

NEX-5, Tamron 90mm + 2x

NEX-5, Tamron 90mm + 2x

 Rich O's gear list:Rich O's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +9 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rich O
Regular MemberPosts: 261Gear list
Like?
Re: Jazz Band w/ NEX-5
In reply to Rich O, 7 months ago

I was also planning on purchasing a Len Turbo. What would be the best use of it in these low light situations where you need longer FL.

Would it be better to shoot without the Turbo and go for the extra reach (270mm EFL), or use the Turbo to gain 1 stop of light and shorter EFL (196mm) and crop . With the light gain I could have reduced the ISO down to ISO1600 or up the shutter speed to 1/200.

I was shooting at 1/100 - 1/125 about half of the 1/FL rule of thumb, I don't see much camera shake in my images at that speed( I was sitting down and bracing the camera to keep it steady)

Is it better to have lower ISO or higher shutter speed when using long telephoto?

 Rich O's gear list:Rich O's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SimonOL
Contributing MemberPosts: 820Gear list
Like?
Re: Jazz Band w/ NEX-5
In reply to Rich O, 7 months ago

Rich O wrote:

I was also planning on purchasing a Len Turbo. What would be the best use of it in these low light situations where you need longer FL.

Would it be better to shoot without the Turbo and go for the extra reach (270mm EFL), or use the Turbo to gain 1 stop of light and shorter EFL (196mm) and crop . With the light gain I could have reduced the ISO down to ISO1600 or up the shutter speed to 1/200.

I was shooting at 1/100 - 1/125 about half of the 1/FL rule of thumb, I don't see much camera shake in my images at that speed( I was sitting down and bracing the camera to keep it steady)

Is it better to have lower ISO or higher shutter speed when using long telephoto?

I think the shots came out quite well, especially considering how you're achieving the focal length.

Using a 2x teleconverter loses approximately 2 stops of light so ideally you would use a longer lens to avoid using a teleconverter at all.

Using a lens turbo would get 1 stop of light back but you'd introduce yet more glass between lens and sensor which isn't generally a good idea. The lens turbo is surprising good quality IMO except for edge/corner IQ which wouldn't really matter with these shots.

I suppose using the 90mm, 2x converter and lens turbo would allow using ISO1600 with the same shutter speeds, but you'd have to crop to get the same compositions so any gain from using the lower ISO would be lost to an extent.

Shutter speed is the primary concern when using a longer focal length - in low light, you don't really have any option but to use higher ISO. In your case, you could have tried a larger aperture but obviously then you pay in terms of depth of focus. It's all a balancing act.

If you need this focal length on a regular basis, I'd invest in a lens that gets you where you want to be without additional glass.

 SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rich O
Regular MemberPosts: 261Gear list
Like?
Re: Jazz Band w/ NEX-5
In reply to SimonOL, 7 months ago

SimonOL wrote:

Rich O wrote:

I was also planning on purchasing a Len Turbo. What would be the best use of it in these low light situations where you need longer FL.

Would it be better to shoot without the Turbo and go for the extra reach (270mm EFL), or use the Turbo to gain 1 stop of light and shorter EFL (196mm) and crop . With the light gain I could have reduced the ISO down to ISO1600 or up the shutter speed to 1/200.

I was shooting at 1/100 - 1/125 about half of the 1/FL rule of thumb, I don't see much camera shake in my images at that speed( I was sitting down and bracing the camera to keep it steady)

Is it better to have lower ISO or higher shutter speed when using long telephoto?

I think the shots came out quite well, especially considering how you're achieving the focal length.

Thanks,  those are OOC JPG except for the B&Ws which were converted from RAW;  white balance was way off and there were some purple stage lights making strange colors on the face.  So I went for B&W on those.

Using a 2x teleconverter loses approximately 2 stops of light so ideally you would use a longer lens to avoid using a teleconverter at all.

Using a lens turbo would get 1 stop of light back but you'd introduce yet more glass between lens and sensor which isn't generally a good idea. The lens turbo is surprising good quality IMO except for edge/corner IQ which wouldn't really matter with these shots.

I suppose using the 90mm, 2x converter and lens turbo would allow using ISO1600 with the same shutter speeds, but you'd have to crop to get the same compositions so any gain from using the lower ISO would be lost to an extent.

I guess the question would be would a cropped image at ISO1600 print better than a ISO3200 image.

Shutter speed is the primary concern when using a longer focal length - in low light, you don't really have any option but to use higher ISO. In your case, you could have tried a larger aperture but obviously then you pay in terms of depth of focus. It's all a balancing act.

I was already shoot at f/5,  max aperture on the 90 is f/2.5, with 2x f/5 is max.

If you need this focal length on a regular basis, I'd invest in a lens that gets you where you want to be without additional glass.

The 55-210 would be about the same because at 210 your at f/6.3, but has OSS.

Maybe a 200mm f/3.5 prime would work better

 Rich O's gear list:Rich O's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SimonOL
Contributing MemberPosts: 820Gear list
Like?
Re: Jazz Band w/ NEX-5
In reply to Rich O, 7 months ago

Rich O wrote:

I was already shoot at f/5, max aperture on the 90 is f/2.5, with 2x f/5 is max.

OK - now I see where you're coming from with f/5, so you've got no room for manoeuvre in terms of aperture!

The 55-210 would be about the same because at 210 your at f/6.3, but has OSS.

OSS might help a little with shaky hands effecting the shots, but you'd still need to keep the shutter speed up because your subjects are moving. The 55-210 at f/6.3 would be slower than what you're already using.

Maybe a 200mm f/3.5 prime would work better

I think something along those lines would be your best option - clearly you'd need a lens that gives good IQ wide open to get the benefit.

 SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rich O
Regular MemberPosts: 261Gear list
Like?
Re: Jazz Band w/ NEX-5
In reply to SimonOL, 7 months ago

SimonOL wrote:

Rich O wrote:

I was already shoot at f/5, max aperture on the 90 is f/2.5, with 2x f/5 is max.

OK - now I see where you're coming from with f/5, so you've got no room for manoeuvre in terms of aperture!

The 55-210 would be about the same because at 210 your at f/6.3, but has OSS.

OSS might help a little with shaky hands effecting the shots, but you'd still need to keep the shutter speed up because your subjects are moving. The 55-210 at f/6.3 would be slower than what you're already using.

I guess OSS wold be helpful I could have used 1/30 or less, but yes with moving subjects I had to keep shutter at least 1/100

Maybe a 200mm f/3.5 prime would work better

I think something along those lines would be your best option - clearly you'd need a lens that gives good IQ wide open to get the benefit.

I've seen lens that are f/2.8 constant 80-200mm but very expensive. The 200mm f/3.5 would get me 1 extra stop at least. This is the one I was thinking of 04B.  Anybody have any experience with this lens?

 Rich O's gear list:Rich O's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kerpan
Regular MemberPosts: 299
Like?
Re: Jazz Band w/ NEX-5
In reply to Rich O, 7 months ago

I do most of my concert shots with a Nikon AI-s &0-200mm f/4.0 (constant), and generally have been pretty happy with the results.

Genticorum

If I know I can get close-ish, I use a Nikon Series E 100mm f/2.8. Sample below:

Rebirth Brass Band

P.S I now typically use a Nex 5N, but sometimes still use my Nex 3.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rich O
Regular MemberPosts: 261Gear list
Like?
Re: Jazz Band w/ NEX-5
In reply to kerpan, 7 months ago

kerpan wrote:

I do most of my concert shots with a Nikon AI-s &0-200mm f/4.0 (constant), and generally have been pretty happy with the results.

Genticorum

Nice shots,  what FL was this, was it @ f/4?

If I know I can get close-ish, I use a Nikon Series E 100mm f/2.8. Sample below:

Rebirth Brass Band

P.S I now typically use a Nex 5N, but sometimes still use my Nex 3.

That's a great shot, ISO-1000 looks great,  maybe that's the difference between the 5N and the 'classic' 5

 Rich O's gear list:Rich O's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kerpan
Regular MemberPosts: 299
Like?
Re: Jazz Band w/ NEX-5
In reply to Rich O, 7 months ago

When I have to use the Nikon 80-200 zoom, I tend to use f/4.0 unless I have a reason NOT to use it. I also have a Nikon 200mm f/4.0 (which is great when one wants to cut down on the weight carried), but I actually usually like the results I get with the zoom more.  The folks in Genticorum liked my picture -- and used it for theri own purposes (with my permission).

I was unhappy with the color results from the Rebirth concert, but delighted with Lightroom's conversion of these into black and white.

I do think one gets better results in adverse phtographic circumstances with the 5N than the 3, but never owned an original 5 to compare these to. I really do love the 5N -- and hope it remains healthy for a long time (the 3 still works great).

If I know I can get _real_ close -- and the lighting is abysmal -- I even use my Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8 -- which has gotten some great results (assuming I could get any sort of useable pictures at all).

I still have my antique (bought in 1981) Nikon Series E 75-150mm f/3.5 zoom, but the zoom ring slips a bit -- and contrast is not as good as it is with the 80-200 (which is a fair amount heavier).

I just use cheap Rainbow Imaging adapters.  The first one I bought was perfect.  The second is a bit wobbly.  I always try to use the older adapter with the heavier lenses.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rich O
Regular MemberPosts: 261Gear list
Like?
Re: Jazz Band w/ NEX-5
In reply to kerpan, 7 months ago

kerpan wrote:

When I have to use the Nikon 80-200 zoom, I tend to use f/4.0 unless I have a reason NOT to use it. I also have a Nikon 200mm f/4.0 (which is great when one wants to cut down on the weight carried), but I actually usually like the results I get with the zoom more. The folks in Genticorum liked my picture -- and used it for theri own purposes (with my permission).

the Nikon 80-200mm looks like a nice lens,  but I don't shoot that FL that much ,  I can live with f/5 for now and maybe pickup the 200mm f/3.5 for $50.

I was unhappy with the color results from the Rebirth concert, but delighted with Lightroom's conversion of these into black and white.

I did the same with the some of these shots as well,  but at ISO3200 they were a bit noisy.

I do think one gets better results in adverse phtographic circumstances with the 5N than the 3, but never owned an original 5 to compare these to. I really do love the 5N -- and hope it remains healthy for a long time (the 3 still works great).

the 5N seems to be less noisy in higher ISOs

If I know I can get _real_ close -- and the lighting is abysmal -- I even use my Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8 -- which has gotten some great results (assuming I could get any sort of useable pictures at all).

I still have my antique (bought in 1981) Nikon Series E 75-150mm f/3.5 zoom, but the zoom ring slips a bit -- and contrast is not as good as it is with the 80-200 (which is a fair amount heavier).

I just use cheap Rainbow Imaging adapters. The first one I bought was perfect. The second is a bit wobbly. I always try to use the older adapter with the heavier lenses.

I tried some shots with my SEL50F18,  and was able to lower the ISO but was too wide, from where I was sitting.

 Rich O's gear list:Rich O's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kerpan
Regular MemberPosts: 299
Like?
Re: Jazz Band w/ NEX-5
In reply to Rich O, 7 months ago

>I tried some shots with my SEL50F18, and was able to lower the ISO but was too wide, fromwhere I was sitting.

If I think I might get something really nice with the 50 (except for too wide), I'll give it a try and then rop -- for a faux zoom.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads