Flash in RC-mode with Em-5

Started 11 months ago | Questions
hybert46
Contributing MemberPosts: 617Gear list
Like?
Flash in RC-mode with Em-5
11 months ago

Hi everyone,

I have tried hard to understand how to completely disable the little flash unit on the Em-5 during exposure. I have to do some product photography and use the Fl-600r as an off-camera flash. I control it in RC mode with the little flash unit coming with the Em-5. I can then choose the settings for each flash unit in the flash panel and can indeed set the camera flash to "off" in its menu. My understanding would be then that the little on camera flash would emit small flashes of light to control the Fl-600r but not during the exposure itself.

However, I always see a flash coming from the camera flash in the final picture. I have to say I have only tried to use the off-camera flash unit in TTL mode and I would guess that the little flash has to communicate during the exposure with the off-camera unit to set the right exposure. It is quite a problem because I am doing a picture of a very shiny surface and have to completely avoid the triggering of the camera flash.

Is there a way to achieve the triggering of the off-camera flash unit without triggering the camera flash during exposure?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Simon

-- hide signature --

Simon
Flickr favorites: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjkypfZu
E-M5, 7.5mm fisheye, 9-18mm, 12mm, 20mm, 45mm

hybert46's gear list:hybert46's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
ANSWER:
Torsten Hoff
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,217Gear list
Like?
Re: Flash in RC-mode with Em-5
In reply to hybert46, 11 months ago

You can use a filter that permits only IR light to pass through. The RC flashes are controlled using IR light, so blocking the visible light has no effect on the ability to control the off-camera flash(es).

Torsten Hoff's gear list:Torsten Hoff's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hybert46
Like?
In reply to Torsten Hoff, 11 months ago

Torsten Hoff wrote:

You can use a filter that permits only IR light to pass through. The RC flashes are controlled using IR light, so blocking the visible light has no effect on the ability to control the off-camera flash(es).

Hi thorsten,

Thank you very much for the trick. Indeed a filter might do the trick. I just cannot understand this option of switching the flash camera off  in the menu if it still fires off anyway. It is not very clear what it does.

Simon

-- hide signature --

Simon

Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Torsten Hoff
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,217Gear list
Like?

Unfortunately the RC command to trigger the off-camera flash(es) has to happen while the shutter is open, the remotes have no way of knowing when that happens.

Your other option would be to use a flash sync cable and connect the remote flash directly to the hot-shoe, forgoing RC mode.

Torsten Hoff's gear list:Torsten Hoff's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 +14 more
Kweide
Senior MemberPosts: 1,733Gear list
Like?

I bought an IR clamb from Metz. It works wonderful when attached to the miniflash. The light is block but RC mode is working fine

-- hide signature --

More of my work can be see her: ( some NSFW )
http://www.klaweide.de/

Kweide's gear list:Kweide's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-E2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +16 more
Paulmorgan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,971
Like?
In reply to Kweide, 11 months ago

You must be working very close if your still finding the little flash adding something.

In your case in will probably work best by using a ttl lead to your main flash and forget about rc control.

Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 19,237Gear list
Like?

Torsten Hoff wrote:

Unfortunately the RC command to trigger the off-camera flash(es) has to happen while the shutter is open, the remotes have no way of knowing when that happens.

For normal flash mode this happens, the final RC control signal to trigger the slaves happens in exposure time.

However using FP mode with faster shutter speeds the final trigger happens just before the shutter slit starts to run, so no RC control flash effect happens in the frame.

The flash range is less of course with FP mode but for close-up product shots where the RC control is a worry then flash range is usually not a problem.

Also another way is to deflect the RC pulses away from the subject using some cardboard or some cooking foil, the random bounces around the room easily trigger the slaves.

Your other option would be to use a flash sync cable and connect the remote flash directly to the hot-shoe, forgoing RC mode.

Any of Olympus, Panasonic or Canon flash sync cables have contacts in the right places to allow TTL operation. A simpler trigger only cable will need the slaves in auto or manual mode.

Regards... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 19,237Gear list
Like?
RC control FP mode
In reply to Guy Parsons, 11 months ago

Just to reinforce what happens, on the left 1/160 shot with normal RC control, on the right 1/200 shot with RC control FP mode on. The subject is my netbook with the OP post displayed.

No slave flash involved, illumination just room ambient and the LCD of course, and the flash pop seen on the left is the final control signal from the FL-LM1 (On E-PL5), so on the right the final RC pulse is obviously happening before the shutter opens when in FP mode.

Normal on left, FP mode on right, both RC control, FL-LM1 on E-PL5, no slave flashes used.

So, to eliminate the RC master pulse, use FP mode and a faster than max sync speed, if the slave flash range will suit the situation.

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
hybert46
Like?
Re: RC control FP mode
In reply to Guy Parsons, 11 months ago

Guy Parsons wrote:

Just to reinforce what happens, on the left 1/160 shot with normal RC control, on the right 1/200 shot with RC control FP mode on. The subject is my netbook with the OP post displayed.

No slave flash involved, illumination just room ambient and the LCD of course, and the flash pop seen on the left is the final control signal from the FL-LM1 (On E-PL5), so on the right the final RC pulse is obviously happening before the shutter opens when in FP mode.

Normal on left, FP mode on right, both RC control, FL-LM1 on E-PL5, no slave flashes used.

So, to eliminate the RC master pulse, use FP mode and a faster than max sync speed, if the slave flash range will suit the situation.

Regards..... Guy

Wow Guy, the situation you describe above is exactly the kind of situation I have to deal with: a kind of flat reflective panel that will just show the little flash. It is fantastic to know I just have to go to FP-mode and go to faster than max sync speed to get rid of this reflection.

Thank you so much for taking the time to describe and test this method. It is much appreciated.

Simon

-- hide signature --

Simon

hybert46
Like?
Thank you all!

Thanks everyone for your help, it is much appreciated.

I will try first to go the the FP-mode as suggested by guy and if I see the power of the off-camera flash is not enough, I might get the IR clamp or buy a remote control. Thanks all again

Simon

-- hide signature --

Simon

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads