Posting Photos, Size, Where?

Started Dec 12, 2013 | Discussions
panoptic
Regular MemberPosts: 117
Like?
Posting Photos, Size, Where?
Dec 12, 2013

I'm getting ready to post some photos and have a few questions:

The only guidelines I've found are "not more than 10 in a post, more in a gallery"

Is there any particular reason to use the "share photos" icon? Most people seem to just start a new thread.

What size photos should I upload? All mine are JPEGS, 4+ MB from my LX7, 5+ MB from my ZS19.  Full-size files take a while to upload. Does DPR resize them anyway?

Is it common practice to post photos on a thread and also put them in a gallery?

How does one link to one's gallery or galleries, just mention it in the post?

I've noticed some photos have a border. Are there other options? Where is this set?

Any other tips or links to information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Larry

Trafford
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,927
Like?
Re: Posting Photos, Size, Where?
In reply to panoptic, Dec 13, 2013

panoptic wrote:

The only guidelines I've found are "not more than 10 in a post, more in a gallery"

Is there any particular reason to use the "share photos" icon? Most people seem to just start a new thread.

I just start a new thread, or a reply to an existing thread, have never used the 'share photo' icon.

What size photos should I upload? All mine are JPEGS, 4+ MB from my LX7, 5+ MB from my ZS19. Full-size files take a while to upload. Does DPR resize them anyway?

DPreview will resize bigger files, it is faster if you re-size before uploading.

Is it common practice to post photos on a thread and also put them in a gallery?

Dunno!

It is probably included with the uploaded image.

I've noticed some photos have a border. Are there other options? Where is this set?

In your image application

Try Fastone image viewer, makes it very easy to prepare images for uploading.

Thanks

Larry

Hope this helps a bit, I am sure there will be more questions, so just fire away.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kkardster
Senior MemberPosts: 5,002Gear list
Like?

panoptic wrote:

If you have a large number of photos to share in a single post, DPR prefers that you create a separate gallery for those photos and share the gallery instead of each individual photo being embedded in your post. It's not a hard limit, but rather a guideline.  (Though as I note below this feature may now be broken.)

What size photos should I upload? All mine are JPEGS, 4+ MB from my LX7, 5+ MB from my ZS19. Full-size files take a while to upload. Does DPR resize them anyway?

Many prefer photos resized to ~1600 pixels wide while others prefer full-resolution images that allow for pixel-peeping, but it's up to you. I typically resize my 12MP images to 1/4 size unless the additional resolution is necessary for the topic at hand. No matter what size you do upload, viewing them on DPR will usually require scaling them down to fit the browser thread or the pop-up window size if you click in for a closer/larger look.  Even then you have the additional option to View at 100% for pixel-peeping the full upload-sized image. There are times when the DPR scaling does not do justice to the image.

There was a time when only photos from a gallery could be added to a post.  However, we now have the often easier option to simply add images directly from the computer's hard disk or from another web site [so you don't need to upload them to multiple sites], so many DPR galleries have become somewhat stale.

It's interesting that DPR challenge submissions must be uploaded to a gallery for submission.  One side effect of doing this requirement is that the supposedly anonymous submission's owner could be identified by viewing that owner's recent gallery updates.

I haven't done that since the new from computer and from website image upload capabilities were added.  Perhaps it's a hold-over from the days when all photos required galleries??

Here's a test using the Insert link option:

Gallery link using copy/paste of URL

I recall that posting galleries used to show thumbnails that we could click on to view the images - perhaps this is now broken?

These were added prior to posting the photos to DPR.

Keep posting!

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Jerry045
Senior MemberPosts: 4,328Gear list
Like?

Larry:

Sign into DPR. If you don't already have a sign-on, you can create one. There is usually a menu item for that.

Slide your mouse over to Galleries. It should be the second button from the right across the top of the screen. The pop down menu shows "Galleries", Gallery Tags", My Gallery, and "Upload to my Gallery". Click on that one. There is a button to "add" where you would select which photos you want uploaded. Next to that is the "upload" button. Hit that after you selected which ones you want loaded. It will chug a bit and should give you a little block telling you it is done.

That is the secret gallery upload handshake!!!

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/av8tor045
Jerry

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Sony a6000 +7 more
Dan Beaty
Regular MemberPosts: 371Gear list
Like?
In reply to kkardster, Dec 17, 2013

How do you force a photo to view as a vertical? My vertical was stretched in the post, but the gallery distplayed it normally.

Dan Beaty's gear list:Dan Beaty's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED +4 more
Prognathous
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,720
Like?
In reply to Trafford, 10 months ago

Trafford wrote:

DPreview will resize bigger files, it is faster if you re-size before uploading.

Do you know what is the largest size that dpreview doesn't resize?

Thanks,
Prog.

Prognathous
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,720
Like?
In reply to kkardster, 10 months ago

kkardster wrote:

Even then you have the additional option to View at 100% for pixel-peeping the full upload-sized image. There are times when the DPR scaling does not do justice to the image.

I haven't posted images in a long while and want to avoid DPR from resizing my images. Is there a way to force the images to display only at 100%?

Thanks,
Prog.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads