Best Chipped EOS adaptor for Helios & 5D3?

Started Dec 12, 2013 | Questions
DFPanno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,011Gear list
Like?
Best Chipped EOS adaptor for Helios & 5D3?
Dec 12, 2013

Bought a Helios 44-2 (non-MC) for my 5D3.

B&H has the Novoflex but it only get 3.5 stars.

Anything better out there?

I know there are many on eBay but which model/seller?

Thanks !!!

-- hide signature --
 DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +13 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 4,178Gear list
Like?
Re: Best Chipped EOS adaptor for Helios & 5D3?
In reply to DFPanno, Dec 14, 2013

All M42 to EOS adapters are fine, go for the cheap ones. It is very easy to mill a properly fitting screw mount, and I have several cheapies from different vendors. It dawned on me that I should just get several cheap adapters and cheap Canon EF rear caps so that each M42 mount lens has its own.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

 NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DFPanno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,011Gear list
Like?
Thanks NancyP !
In reply to NancyP, Dec 14, 2013
-- hide signature --
 DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dave
Contributing MemberPosts: 665Gear list
Like?
Re: Best Chipped EOS adaptor for Helios & 5D3?
In reply to DFPanno, Dec 14, 2013

I have many ebay m42 adapters and they all work fine. These things are milled on computer controlled equipment, so tolerances are good. I also bougnht chiped adapters for Nikon,Olympus,pentax and C/Y mount. They all focus at infinity and auto focus confirm works great on my 5D.

-- hide signature --

Pentax K5ii Canon 5D

 dave's gear list:dave's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Sony Alpha 7R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
clarkent1234
Forum MemberPosts: 80
Like?
Re: Best Chipped EOS adaptor for Helios & 5D3?
In reply to dave, Dec 15, 2013

I actually got one of eBay that didn't work. Some don't work with the 5d3. Don't ask me why, no idea.

Helios 44-2 is amazing! For swirly bokeh, get a lens hood and prepare for some contrast adjustments for the files. They come out very very flat but great.

Also the 44-2 is great at swirl ness but the other 44m series are all sharper with a bit less swirly ness.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dave
Contributing MemberPosts: 665Gear list
Like?
Re: Best Chipped EOS adaptor for Helios & 5D3?
In reply to clarkent1234, Dec 15, 2013

Some lenses protrude to far into the mirror chamber on FF 5D series. The rear of the lens can't extend more then 7mm from the EF mount flange surface into the mirror chamber. The very bottom rear of the mounted lens mount can extend 8.5mm which is the exception to the 7mm rule.

-- hide signature --

Pentax K5ii Canon 5D

 dave's gear list:dave's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Sony Alpha 7R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DFPanno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,011Gear list
Like?
Not the one I bought…...
In reply to dave, Dec 15, 2013

dave wrote:

Some lenses protrude to far into the mirror chamber on FF 5D series. The rear of the lens can't extend more then 7mm from the EF mount flange surface into the mirror chamber. The very bottom rear of the mounted lens mount can extend 8.5mm which is the exception to the 7mm rule.

-- hide signature --

Pentax K5ii Canon 5D

My understanding:

The non-MC version maufactured by Valdai clears the mirror.  The MC version does not nor do those made by other companies.

Hope I am right.

-- hide signature --
 DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DFPanno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,011Gear list
Like?
Re: Best Chipped EOS adaptor for Helios & 5D3?
In reply to clarkent1234, Dec 15, 2013

clarkent1234 wrote:

I actually got one of eBay that didn't work. Some don't work with the 5d3. Don't ask me why, no idea.

Helios 44-2 is amazing! For swirly bokeh, get a lens hood and prepare for some contrast adjustments for the files. They come out very very flat but great.

Also the 44-2 is great at swirl ness but the other 44m series are all sharper with a bit less swirly ness.

That's my understanding too.  I only bought it for the bokeh so I waited to find a 2.

-- hide signature --
 DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dave
Contributing MemberPosts: 665Gear list
Like?
Re: Not the one I bought…...
In reply to DFPanno, Dec 16, 2013

DFPanno wrote:

dave wrote:

Some lenses protrude to far into the mirror chamber on FF 5D series. The rear of the lens can't extend more then 7mm from the EF mount flange surface into the mirror chamber. The very bottom rear of the mounted lens mount can extend 8.5mm which is the exception to the 7mm rule.

-- hide signature --

Pentax K5ii Canon 5D

My understanding:

The non-MC version maufactured by Valdai clears the mirror. The MC version does not nor do those made by other companies.

Hope I am right.

The EF mount bayonet extend 5.5 into the chamber from the face of the flange. My M42 adapters extend 6.0mm. This leaves  1mm for additional clearance. I don't have any of these issues that you seem to have.

-- hide signature --

Pentax K5ii Canon 5D

 dave's gear list:dave's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Sony Alpha 7R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads