Is X-E2 skin tone supposed to be the same as X100 ?...

Started 8 months ago | Questions
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,777Gear list
Like?
Is X-E2 skin tone supposed to be the same as X100 ?...
8 months ago

...Since Fuji grabbed stuff from this camera also.  Your thoughts on this?

Thank you.

 mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mike Guffin
Regular MemberPosts: 273Gear list
Like?
Re: Is X-E2 skin tone supposed to be the same as X100 ?...
In reply to mistermejia, 8 months ago

Different sensors, so probably a difference just based on that... the film simulations, if shooting JPEG, should be similar...

 Mike Guffin's gear list:Mike Guffin's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dengx
Contributing MemberPosts: 928
Like?
Re: Is X-E2 skin tone supposed to be the same as X100 ?...
In reply to mistermejia, 8 months ago

mistermejia wrote:

...Since Fuji grabbed stuff from this camera also. Your thoughts on this?

No, similar but different.

Every time Fuji changes the sensor - the film simulations also get changed a little.

Regards

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,777Gear list
Like?
Re: Is X-E2 skin tone supposed to be the same as X100 ?...
In reply to dengx, 8 months ago

dengx wrote:

mistermejia wrote:

...Since Fuji grabbed stuff from this camera also. Your thoughts on this?

No, similar but different.

Every time Fuji changes the sensor - the film simulations also get changed a little.

Regards

Well, when i woke up this morning all of the sudden i see all these talk about BAD skin tones from the X-E2, so it sounds like it is definitely NOT the same as a X100.

I have always said it, why fix what's NOT broken?!!  

 mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,351Gear list
Like?
Re: Is X-E2 skin tone supposed to be the same as X100 ?...
In reply to mistermejia, 8 months ago

mistermejia wrote:

dengx wrote:

mistermejia wrote:

...Since Fuji grabbed stuff from this camera also. Your thoughts on this?

No, similar but different.

Every time Fuji changes the sensor - the film simulations also get changed a little.

Regards

Well, when i woke up this morning all of the sudden i see all these talk about BAD skin tones from the X-E2, so it sounds like it is definitely NOT the same as a X100.

I have always said it, why fix what's NOT broken?!!

X100 is a  12mp bayer sensor, the others are 16mp X-trans sensors. X100s is same sensor as XE2, XE1 is the same as XPro1.

But yeah, plenty of comments about skin tones at high ISO with the latest sensors. Glad I am very content with my  XE1. I shoot still so no need for imoroved focus, which is rarely a problem at all, especially with the latest upgrades and primes

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

 Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,777Gear list
Like?
Re: Is X-E2 skin tone supposed to be the same as X100 ?...
In reply to Al Valentino, 8 months ago

Al Valentino wrote:

mistermejia wrote:

dengx wrote:

mistermejia wrote:

...Since Fuji grabbed stuff from this camera also. Your thoughts on this?

No, similar but different.

Every time Fuji changes the sensor - the film simulations also get changed a little.

Regards

Well, when i woke up this morning all of the sudden i see all these talk about BAD skin tones from the X-E2, so it sounds like it is definitely NOT the same as a X100.

I have always said it, why fix what's NOT broken?!!

X100 is a 12mp bayer sensor, the others are 16mp X-trans sensors. X100s is same sensor as XE2, XE1 is the same as XPro1.

But yeah, plenty of comments about skin tones at high ISO with the latest sensors. Glad I am very content with my XE1. I shoot still so no need for imoroved focus, which is rarely a problem at all, especially with the latest upgrades and primes

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Thank you for the clarification.  I will wait a bit more to see what Fuji ends up doing with the X-E2 and we'll go from there.  I really really wanted the WiFi feature because i will definitely use it, but i woudln't want to sacrifice image over that.  Also who wouldn't want better AF, but i also don't do very fast action so that camera might be plenty for me  

 mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,351Gear list
Like?
Re: Is X-E2 skin tone supposed to be the same as X100 ?...
In reply to mistermejia, 8 months ago

mistermejia wrote:

Al Valentino wrote:

mistermejia wrote:

dengx wrote:

mistermejia wrote:

...Since Fuji grabbed stuff from this camera also. Your thoughts on this?

No, similar but different.

Every time Fuji changes the sensor - the film simulations also get changed a little.

Regards

Well, when i woke up this morning all of the sudden i see all these talk about BAD skin tones from the X-E2, so it sounds like it is definitely NOT the same as a X100.

I have always said it, why fix what's NOT broken?!!

X100 is a 12mp bayer sensor, the others are 16mp X-trans sensors. X100s is same sensor as XE2, XE1 is the same as XPro1.

But yeah, plenty of comments about skin tones at high ISO with the latest sensors. Glad I am very content with my XE1. I shoot still so no need for imoroved focus, which is rarely a problem at all, especially with the latest upgrades and primes

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Thank you for the clarification. I will wait a bit more to see what Fuji ends up doing with the X-E2 and we'll go from there. I really really wanted the WiFi feature because i will definitely use it, but i woudln't want to sacrifice image over that. Also who wouldn't want better AF, but i also don't do very fast action so that camera might be plenty for me

I thnk what Fuji does with the XE2 is already done since it is the X-trans II sensir if the older X100s so they did not really anything, and oersonally i do nit expect any significant changes.

what I do expect is a new camera announcement or two, by the end of next month. Will it be the same sensor, similar but tweaked, or a new one, only Fuji knows.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

 Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dannyd12
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
Re: Is X-E2 skin tone supposed to be the same as X100 ?...
In reply to Al Valentino, 8 months ago

I can't believe what I'm reading here about the X-E2 skin tones! The skin tones are incredible! You're complaining about skin tones at ISO 6400??? Are you kidding me?

I am a professional wedding photographer who has owned and owns countless cameras. The jpegs skin tones from the X-E2 blows away any camera I have ever owned, including the top of the line Canon 5d mark III, which I use for weddings.

Please, stop with the "pasty" skin tone talk at 6400. Your people/family/portrait pictures should be taken at much lower ISO's.

This camera is hands down the best camera I have ever owned. Period.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dannyd12
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
Re: Is X-E2 skin tone supposed to be the same as X100 ?...
In reply to Dannyd12, 8 months ago

Let me add one more comment. I have never owned a camera that produces jpegs that replicates exactly what my eyes see like the X-E2 does.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,777Gear list
Like?
Re: Is X-E2 skin tone supposed to be the same as X100 ?...
In reply to Dannyd12, 8 months ago

Dannyd12 wrote:

I can't believe what I'm reading here about the X-E2 skin tones! The skin tones are incredible! You're complaining about skin tones at ISO 6400??? Are you kidding me?

I am a professional wedding photographer who has owned and owns countless cameras. The jpegs skin tones from the X-E2 blows away any camera I have ever owned, including the top of the line Canon 5d mark III, which I use for weddings.

Please, stop with the "pasty" skin tone talk at 6400. Your people/family/portrait pictures should be taken at much lower ISO's.

This camera is hands down the best camera I have ever owned. Period.

Hi Dannyd12. I have never owned a XE1, that's why i asked which sensor it is. Regarding X cameras i only own the X10 which i really like, except that the iso is not that great.

i guess this XE2 has sensor from 100s, which i have read many posts saying the X100 has better color tones, so maybe the XE2 DOES have skin tone issues, not based on what i am saying, i am only asking, but based on what XE1 owners ad now XE2 owners are saying.

Now, since you mention you are a PRO photographer, why do you like the skin tones from XE2? Could it be because the skin is smoother and make a model look "younger"? Maybe that's why you like it more? I am just saying. Are you a former or current XE1 owner shooter?

Apparantly the skin tone issue is for real and not an imagination, from all the posts people are typing. Can you explain what it is the rest might be experiencing?  Why are XE1 experienced shooters not experiencing this complaint with their XE1?  I would really HOPE that there is nothing wrong with the XE2. I was gonna go buy one this weekend

 mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dengx
Contributing MemberPosts: 928
Like?
Re: Is X-E2 skin tone supposed to be the same as X100 ?...
In reply to mistermejia, 8 months ago

mistermejia wrote:

i guess this XE2 has sensor from 100s, which i have read many posts saying the X100 has better color tones, so maybe the XE2 DOES have skin tone issues, not based on what i am saying, i am only asking, but based on what XE1 owners ad now XE2 owners are saying.

Nah, it's not the skin tone issue, X-E2 has beautiful skin tones (that may be different to X-E1 and X100, but that's the matter of preference).

It's the aggressive NR issue at ISO>1600 in jpeg that ruins it all.

Regards

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
allineedislight
Regular MemberPosts: 110Gear list
Like?
Re: Is X-E2 skin tone supposed to be the same as X100 ?...
In reply to Dannyd12, 8 months ago

Dannyd12 wrote:

.. You're complaining about skin tones at ISO 6400??? Are you kidding me?

..
Please, stop with the "pasty" skin tone talk at 6400. Your people/family/portrait pictures should be taken at much lower ISO's.

+1  (or even +100)

 allineedislight's gear list:allineedislight's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Davidgilmour
Senior MemberPosts: 1,137Gear list
Like?
Re: Is X-E2 skin tone supposed to be the same as X100 ?...
In reply to mistermejia, 8 months ago

mistermejia wrote:

...Since Fuji grabbed stuff from this camera also. Your thoughts on this?

Thank you.

X100 has best skin tones ever. Not beaten by X-100s or x-e2.

 Davidgilmour's gear list:Davidgilmour's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dannyd12
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
Re: Is X-E2 skin tone supposed to be the same as X100 ?...
In reply to mistermejia, 8 months ago

Hi Mistemejia,

I can only speak from experience. The skin tones are fine to my eye, not based on a model look. Again, best I have ever experienced. Take a look at sample images from other posts and Flickr and judge for yourself, not by what others say.

I never owned an Xe1 and I believe they are comparing the two cameras. Does it really matter if there is a difference? Not to me! I'm happy with what I see on the xe2. The images are Stunning. The first images I took with this camera I kept saying "wow"! If you don't own the Xe1, get the X-E2 and be happy.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,777Gear list
Like?
Re: Is X-E2 skin tone supposed to be the same as X100 ?...
In reply to Dannyd12, 8 months ago

Dannyd12 wrote:

Hi Mistemejia,

I can only speak from experience. The skin tones are fine to my eye, not based on a model look. Again, best I have ever experienced. Take a look at sample images from other posts and Flickr and judge for yourself, not by what others say.

I never owned an Xe1 and I believe they are comparing the two cameras. Does it really matter if there is a difference? Not to me! I'm happy with what I see on the xe2. The images are Stunning. The first images I took with this camera I kept saying "wow"! If you don't own the Xe1, get the X-E2 and be happy.

Thanks for responding Dannyd12.

I see.  Well, if others that own or have own the X-E1 are saying there is a difference and "maybe" a problem, then i should look into it further.  Since you haven't own the XE1 maybe thats why skin tones don't matter to you at 6400, but apparently the XE1 does not behave like that.

I own the 6MP Fuji S5 pro and i have compared the raw files and photos to my 6MP X10 side to side, and yes, there is a BIG difference in skin tones.  I am SURE the XE2 is still great, but maybe they did changed something that the skin tone is behaving like this.

Thank you.

 mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads