XE-2 AF questions.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Combatmedic870
Contributing MemberPosts: 950Gear list
Like?
XE-2 AF questions.
8 months ago

Hello,
Could anyone tell me how the AF tracking is with the 55-200? I like to take pictures of my Rhodesian Ridgeback. She's pretty fast. I am able to get pics with my xe-1, but I miss out in so many. With the xe-1 you have to anticipate. I Don't want to do that any longer.

If it can get, 50% I'd be decently happy.

My pic break down is the following.
40% people. Portraits, candid.
40% dog. Fast moving.
15% landscape.

65% of that is iso 1600 and above.
90% shot above 1/125 shutter speed.

Suggestions Are welcome.

If I move to another system it would be a nikon dslr.

-- hide signature --

Ryan,

Combatmedic870's gear list:Combatmedic870's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
justin_time
Contributing MemberPosts: 596Gear list
Like?
Re: XE-2 AF questions.
In reply to Combatmedic870, 8 months ago

I did used x-e2 with 55-200 in tracking sequence with my Cairn terrier and started this thread:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3573458

Ridgeback should be faster than the terrier (but she is no slow coach even for a short legged 11 year old!), but bigger target for AF!

Not every shot was quite as good as I'd want it but acceptable for occasional use.  If I were taking dedicated shots of fast moving subject I'd use Nikon D800 or D300s - but they are a pain in the back to carry round!

justin_time's gear list:justin_time's gear list
Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,397Gear list
Like?

The X-E2 doesn't really do tracking of animals.

It can identify human faces and track them to an extent, but dogs are a different matter.  The continuous focus will adjust focus when in low speed burst mode, but you'd have to keep the animal in about the same position in the frame.  If the dog ran from the right toward the left of the frame, I don't think focus would adjust if you held the camera still. As I said, the subject would have to remain toward the center of the frame.

I'll experiment a little and let you know what I find.  It's significant that the manual never speaks of focus "tracking."

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Combatmedic870
Like?
In reply to justin_time, 8 months ago

I did used x-e2 with 55-200 in tracking sequence with my Cairn terrier and started this thread:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3573458

Ridgeback should be faster than the terrier (but she is no slow coach even for a short legged 11 year old!), but bigger target for AF!

Not every shot was quite as good as I'd want it but acceptable for occasional use.  If I were taking dedicated shots of fast moving subject I'd use Nikon D800 or D300s - but they are a pain in the back to carry round!

Yea I seen that post, the thread became just talking about if there even was continuous focusing and blah blah.
I really don't want to get a dslr. I had a 7D before. It tracked great with a usm lens. But I hated the weight and size.
I really love the fuji xe1, I figure I can give it to my brother and get the xe2. Win win.

Guess the only way is to try it out.
--
Ryan,

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Combatmedic870
Like?
In reply to bowportes, 8 months ago

It can identify human faces and track them to an extent, but dogs are a different matter.  The continuous focus will adjust focus when in low speed burst mode, but you'd have to keep the animal in about the same position in the frame.  If the dog ran from the right toward the left of the frame, I don't think focus would adjust if you held the camera still. As I said, the subject would have to remain toward the center of the frame.

I'll experiment a little and let you know what I find.  It's significant that the manual never speaks of focus "tracking."

I look forward to seeing what you find.

Any one else have any in put.
--
Ryan,

bowportes
Like?

Combatmedic870 wrote:

It can identify human faces and track them to an extent, but dogs are a different matter. The continuous focus will adjust focus when in low speed burst mode, but you'd have to keep the animal in about the same position in the frame. If the dog ran from the right toward the left of the frame, I don't think focus would adjust if you held the camera still. As I said, the subject would have to remain toward the center of the frame.

I'll experiment a little and let you know what I find. It's significant that the manual never speaks of focus "tracking."

--
Ryan,

When you use continuous focus (there is no tracking), you can position the frame that will be kept continually in focus.  But once you start a slow burst sequence, you must try to keep the dog continually in that position in the frame throughout your series of images -- while the dog is moving.  If you are successful at this, which is not easy, some of your images will be in focus and some will not. (The continuous focus cannot always keep up with the dog's motion.)  Shooting at f8 and 1/500th will help, but that will mean cranking up the ISO a bit.

It's better than the X-E1, but not lightning fast and therefore not 100%.

True subject tracking, like you find in either Olympus or Panasonic M4/3s is still better for moving subjects, in my opinion... unless, that is, the animal is moving toward the camera, which contrast AF cannot handle.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Combatmedic870
Like?

bowportes wrote:

Combatmedic870 wrote:

It can identify human faces and track them to an extent, but dogs are a different matter. The continuous focus will adjust focus when in low speed burst mode, but you'd have to keep the animal in about the same position in the frame. If the dog ran from the right toward the left of the frame, I don't think focus would adjust if you held the camera still. As I said, the subject would have to remain toward the center of the frame.

I'll experiment a little and let you know what I find. It's significant that the manual never speaks of focus "tracking."

--
Ryan,

When you use continuous focus (there is no tracking), you can position the frame that will be kept continually in focus. But once you start a slow burst sequence, you must try to keep the dog continually in that position in the frame throughout your series of images -- while the dog is moving. If you are successful at this, which is not easy, some of your images will be in focus and some will not. (The continuous focus cannot always keep up with the dog's motion.) Shooting at f8 and 1/500th will help, but that will mean cranking up the ISO a bit.

True subject tracking, like you find in either Olympus or Panasonic M4/3s is still better for moving subjects, in my opinion... unless, that is, the animal is moving toward the camera, which contrast AF cannot handle.

Sounds like im SOL with mirrorless cameras then.

I really would not like stopping down to F8 just for focusing. Im  really good at keeping the subject where the AF point is and all, but if the AF cannot keep up in the first place(i used to shoot alot of BIF with the 7D i used to have), whats the point

was thinking about an OMD m1, but if i get that, might as well get a DSLR.

-- hide signature --

Ryan,

Jorge M
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?

Combatmedic870 wrote:

bowportes wrote:

Combatmedic870 wrote:

--
Ryan,

When you use continuous focus (there is no tracking), you can position the frame that will be kept continually in focus. But once you start a slow burst sequence, you must try to keep the dog continually in that position in the frame throughout your series of images -- while the dog is moving. If you are successful at this, which is not easy, some of your images will be in focus and some will not. (The continuous focus cannot always keep up with the dog's motion.) Shooting at f8 and 1/500th will help, but that will mean cranking up the ISO a bit.

Sounds like im SOL with mirrorless cameras then.

I really would not like stopping down to F8 just for focusing. Im really good at keeping the subject where the AF point is and all, but if the AF cannot keep up in the first place(i used to shoot alot of BIF with the 7D i used to have), whats the point

was thinking about an OMD m1, but if i get that, might as well get a DSLR.

-- hide signature --

Ryan,

You might want to check this thread over at M 4/3ds, an OMD M1 is still smaller than most DSLR +lens convo, worth a second look no?

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3590893

Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,657Gear list
Like?

bowportes wrote:

That's because Fuji calls it "continuous" focus, page 47 in the manual.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Combatmedic870
Like?
In reply to Sal Baker, 8 months ago

bowportes wrote:

Sal

Ok, then my actual question is how well can the xe-2 continuously focus on a fast moving dog?
While using the 55-200.

-- hide signature --

Ryan,

bowportes
Like?

Combatmedic870 wrote:

bowportes wrote:

Sal

Ok, then my actual question is how well can the xe-2 continuously focus on a fast moving dog?
While using the 55-200.

-- hide signature --

Ryan,

They call it "continuous" focus rather than "tracking" for a reason.

With true "tracking," you can identify a subject to be tracked by half-pressing the shutter release when the subject is in the focus-frame. You can then hold the camera still while the subject moves around your image. The focus point will follow the subject from left to right and back across the EVF, keeping your subject in focus no matter where it moves horizontally in the frame.  The Fuji does nothing like this; it doesn't actually track the subject. M4/3s cameras do it pretty well.

I have already responded to your question about continuous focus.  It is much improved over the X-E1, but not quite up to following a fast moving dog, in my view.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads