Great way to dip my toe into full frame!

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
A200Eric
Senior MemberPosts: 1,247Gear list
Like?
Great way to dip my toe into full frame!
9 months ago

Last night I picked up a 5D for $450 (USD) from Craig's List of all places about 5 miles from my house. It's in excellent condition with just under 30k clicks. The guy is a wedding photog so he was unloading some old equipment.

I only snapped 2 or 3 shots quickly last night and just did a quick b&w conversion this morning. Not the best shot technically, but at ISO 3200, I like the film-like grain. I'm petrified that I get addicted to it and start lusting after a MK III!

So far I love it. Different beast from my 7D for sure!

Shot with the Canon 85mm f1.8 ISO 3200 I think at F2...too lazy to check sorry.

-- hide signature --
 A200Eric's gear list:A200Eric's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +7 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
gipper51
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,032Gear list
Like?
Re: Great way to dip my toe into full frame!
In reply to A200Eric, 9 months ago

This body is a steal right now for getting into FF. It's an old camera but still a very capable one if you know its limitations and work within them.  I still shoot with my 5D alot even though I also own the MkII.  When I don't need ISO>3200 or the megapixels (which is most of the time) I just really like the images from the original.

Even though it's a dinosaur in terms of tech, the 5D is a camera I enjoy shooting.  Perhaps it's because of the simplicity I find it appealing, but I have fun whenever that camera is in my hands.  I concentrate on the image rather than wondering which gadget or feature I should be activating.  Some call that limiting, I find it liberating. If you're not enjoying the shooting experience, the rest is moot.

My only complaint with the camera is the focus with my Tamron 28-75/2.8 is not always spot on.  My MkII needed some micro adjustment so I know it's the lens.  My 5D focuses great with all my Canon glass.

gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Suzi Morris
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?
Re: Great way to dip my toe into full frame!

Get addicted by all means but dont ever get rid of that 5D classic! Biggest mistake I ever made, still miss it although I have a MK2, the original just has a personality that the newer models just dont match.

I still look back and smile at my 5DC photos, skin tones in particular are amazing with that camera.

Enjoy.

Bas Hamstra
Senior MemberPosts: 1,481Gear list
Like?
Same here!

Got a 5Dc a wile ago for about the same price. Never looked back.

With a 100$ 50/1.8 the IQ is just amazing, from 2.8 on. Even with the low regarded 28-105 3,5/4,5 the images are good (if I stop down a bit). That lens is for free, basically (used prices are that low).

Cool shot, reminds me on the film-era.

Bas

A200Eric wrote

Last night I picked up a 5D for $450 (USD) from Craig's List of all places about 5 miles from my house. It's in excellent condition with just under 30k clicks. The guy is a wedding photog so he was unloading some old equipment.

I only snapped 2 or 3 shots quickly last night and just did a quick b&w conversion this morning. Not the best shot technically, but at ISO 3200, I like the film-like grain. I'm petrified that I get addicted to it and start lusting after a MK III!

So far I love it. Different beast from my 7D for sure!

Shot with the Canon 85mm f1.8 ISO 3200 I think at F2...too lazy to check sorry.

-- hide signature --
A200Eric
Like?
Re: Same here!
In reply to Bas Hamstra, 9 months ago

Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting my full frame lenses on this thing and really give it a go. I love the 50 1.8 on my 7D as a nice little portrait lens with the crop factor.

Post some 5D pics!

-- hide signature --
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +7 more
gipper51
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,032Gear list
Like?

A200Eric wrote:

Post some 5D pics!

Sure, why not!

gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
A200Eric
Like?
In reply to gipper51, 9 months ago

Nice! Love the portraits!
--
Always Learning.

http://flickr.com/photos/a200eric/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads