Inexpensive Grip for LF1

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,131Gear list
Like?
Inexpensive Grip for LF1
8 months ago

I have been a fan screen protectors like the Zagg Invisible Shields or the less expensive Best Skins Ever that are Identical but about 1/3 of the price.  I like them because if you use the proper technique they show to put them on, after they dry there are no Air bubbles and they are kind of grippy.  (Not good for a touch screen IMO) but I have them on all my devices.

Lately since they didnt have the sized I needed, I just bought an iPad shield and cut out the pieces I  need.  So I cut out a piece for the LCD and piece for the grip area.  It doesn't add bulk and has great grip.

-- hide signature --
 phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 RX100 III +2 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dan W
Senior MemberPosts: 2,061Gear list
Like?
Re: Inexpensive Grip for LF1
In reply to phazelag, 8 months ago

I'm looking at this on my phone and it's difficult to see but I assume that since you've used the shield for the LCD and grip, it must be clear. Any particular brand?

Dan W's gear list:Dan W's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D7000 NEX5R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
phazelag
Like?
In reply to Dan W, 8 months ago

Dan W wrote:

I'm looking at this on my phone and it's difficult to see but I assume that since you've used the shield for the LCD and grip, it must be clear. Any particular brand?

Yes its almost invisible. But you can see it on a larger screen. I am using "The Best Skins Ever" which is a knock off but a very good knock off and 1/3rd the price. Just Google Best Skins Ever.

-- hide signature --
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 RX100 III +2 more
phazelag
Like?

Dan W wrote:

These ones have grippy feel too and are less expensive. This is what I use.  http://www.bestskinsever.com/?mode=list&

This is the original that Best Skins Ever copied but they are super expensive.

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/apple-ipad-3-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields

I know this is a non Amazon link so I am not sure if I will get in trouble for posting.

-- hide signature --
Dan W
Like?

Thanks, I'll check 'em out.

DW

Canon PowerShot D10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D7000 NEX5R
Donald B
Senior MemberPosts: 3,309Gear list
Like?

I hope the Lf1 wasnt set to auto wb ? its not even close to bench top colour.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Pentax K7, Panasonic fz150, Olympus XZ1, my main toys.

phazelag
Like?
In reply to Donald B, 8 months ago

I hope the Lf1 wasnt set to auto wb ? its not even close to bench top colour.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Pentax K7, Panasonic fz150, Olympus XZ1, my main toys.

S

Your looking at G5 shot of an LCD in a light that changed by closing blinds to avoid glare. The Counter is very blue.
--
www.scottzinda.com
http://instagram.com/phazelag

Dan W
Like?
WB issue
In reply to Donald B, 8 months ago

WB IS off!

Timj351
Senior MemberPosts: 1,943
Like?

This is interesting. There is a smooth area on my LX7 between the grip and the lens that is slippery and I wish that the grip extended into this area like on my FZ200. It's not a big deal but I have wondered about what possible materials and simple solutions I could use to improve this aspect of the camera and your idea will be a good one to try. I think I still have some extra screens around somewhere that I wasn't happy with but that might serve this purpose well. Thanks for sharing this.

-Tim

phazelag
Like?
In reply to Timj351, 8 months ago

Timj351 wrote:

This is interesting. There is a smooth area on my LX7 between the grip and the lens that is slippery and I wish that the grip extended into this area like on my FZ200. It's not a big deal but I have wondered about what possible materials and simple solutions I could use to improve this aspect of the camera and your idea will be a good one to try. I think I still have some extra screens around somewhere that I wasn't happy with but that might serve this purpose well. Thanks for sharing this.

-Tim

I saw a guy use skateboard grip tape too.  I would want a fine softer grip.

-- hide signature --
phazelag
Like?
Re: WB issue

Dan W wrote:

WB IS off!

Your still taking a picture of an LCD. The Color on my screen actuallly matches the real counter with a bit more vibrance, I attribute to the angle or level of the LCD brightness. Your photo is the opposite. I am not saying the AWB is spot on, but it doesnt turn a vibrant blue table cloth into grey. If it did I wouldn't use the camera. Judging the cameras AWB performance based on a photo of an LCD display seems pointless to me. I think the white balance issue should be on a different thread if you really are finding it to be an issue. I am picky about my white balance, but not on the photo of LCD whos display properties and levels could not be accounted for.

-- hide signature --
phazelag
Like?
Ran a test to be sure

This is the Original image from my G5 which the blue in the LCD that its picking up is barely visible to the naked eye. The G5 and I just tried with my camera phone both picked up more blue than was there.

This is a photo taken just now with the LF1 on iA of the same spot with who knows how similar the light was, but the counter in the photo is looks alot closer to the G5 photo and how the LCD actaully looked to my eye. The LCD sends out light that another camera will pick up and is not as visible to the human eye. This JPEG show the WB is pretty close in a non scientific test, and I have been a pilot for years and my vision and ability to distinguish color has been tested again and again including two days ago, be the most modern test machine available. So I am saying its the LCD and not losing sleep. If your AWB is that bad you need a refund on your camera. I loaded the photos from my computer so you could see the exif data.  The LCD issue happens on all cameras and displays from phones or iPads too.

-- hide signature --
Trafford
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,464
Like?

phazelag wrote:

Timj351 wrote:

-Tim

I saw a guy use skateboard grip tape too. I would want a fine softer grip.

I use the 'hook' side of self adhesive Velcro, works well for me.

Dan W
Like?

phazelag wrote:

Dan W wrote:

WB IS off!

Your still taking a picture of an LCD. The Color on my screen actuallly matches the real counter with a bit more vibrance, I attribute to the angle or level of the LCD brightness. Your photo is the opposite. I am not saying the AWB is spot on, but it doesnt turn a vibrant blue table cloth into grey. If it did I wouldn't use the camera. Judging the cameras AWB performance based on a photo of an LCD display seems pointless to me. I think the white balance issue should be on a different thread if you really are finding it to be an issue. I am picky about my white balance, but not on the photo of LCD whos display properties and levels could not be accounted for.

-- hide signature --

Sorry, I was just kidding!

The white balance is fine; I set the camera to sepia to create the opposite "problem."

Dan

phazelag
Like?

Dan W wrote:

phazelag wrote:

Dan W wrote:

WB IS off!

-- hide signature --

Sorry, I was just kidding!

The white balance is fine; I set the camera to sepia to create the opposite "problem."

Dan

Great thanks!  You got me!  Pretty good one!

-- hide signature --
Dan W
Like?

Ironically, I was trying to agree with you, with a silly example. Guess it wasn't as obvious as I thought. Thanks for your nice attitude.

Dan

phazelag
Like?

Dan W wrote:

Ironically, I was trying to agree with you, with a silly example. Guess it wasn't as obvious as I thought. Thanks for your nice attitude.

Dan

LOL oh man!  I do try to first give people and "A" on here. (which is from a book about assuming the best).  But there are so many techy guys who will argue about anything its easy to go that route.  I have seen your comments before and your name was not in my Alert List but I still got it wrong.  OH well its a good laugh now.  Thanks.

-- hide signature --
phazelag
Like?

Dan W wrote:

Dan

The same book that has served me well talks about not taking yourself too seriously, but I still do from time to time!  I will get there one day!

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads