Ken Rockwell: "I just got my Sony A7, and I'm impressed."

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
frhe
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
Ken Rockwell: "I just got my Sony A7, and I'm impressed."
4 months ago
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,907Gear list
Like?
Re: Ken Rockwell: "I just got my Sony A7, and I'm impressed."
In reply to frhe, 4 months ago

Not much of a review, but his conclusion sums up my sentiments, "For normal people, the Nikon D600, Nikon D610 and Canon 6D are probably better system cameras for about the same price — but bigger and heavier." AF lenses are all that hold me back right now.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alohaman
Regular MemberPosts: 430Gear list
Like?

Rockwell lists both bodies with image stabilization>>he's wrong.

Alohaman's gear list:Alohaman's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Fujifilm X100S Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +5 more
Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,570
Like?
In reply to Alohaman, 4 months ago

Alohaman wrote:

Rockwell lists both bodies with image stabilization>>he's wrong.

Shocker.

Old Pirate
Senior MemberPosts: 1,359
Like?
In reply to Red5TX, 4 months ago

I think he is saying that both camera's have stabilization systems which is true.

Leica has neither IBIS or ILIS.

bluevellet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,539Gear list
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, 4 months ago

sean lancaster wrote:

Not much of a review, but his conclusion sums up my sentiments, "For normal people, the Nikon D600, Nikon D610 and Canon 6D are probably better system cameras for about the same price — but bigger and heavier." AF lenses are all that hold me back right now.

He's dead on.

bluevellet's gear list:bluevellet's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon D610 +7 more
proxy
Regular MemberPosts: 228
Like?
In reply to bluevellet, 4 months ago

Rockwell list A7R as Phase Detection AF in "Compare" section.

A7R uses Contrast Detection AF... seems like he's so excited about the A7 that he forgot to check it.:-)

Zenjitsuman
Regular MemberPosts: 442
Like?
In reply to proxy, 4 months ago

Sure Rockwell is right A7 is no system camera, its got little Sony support, and no third party except Zeiss support so far.

Even he says Ultra wide Leicas don't work well.  He list 35mm as his widest Leica lens and a 50 as his other lens.

This is my problem, I was hoping for better results with rangefinder lenses, maybe Sony will come up with a model like the 5n which was reaction to the Nex 7 not working well with rangefinder glass.

Sony will likely come out with something next fall. Until then I have several systems to use and my Leica stuff can be used on my M4p and new Voigtlander meter II.

Oh how I wish the M stuff could all be use digitally.  I can't believe Rockwell thought like I did that in ten years time a m mount digital would be made FF at a reasonable price.

Maybe if Leica went out of business.

Hawaii-geek
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,706Gear list
Like?
He was also the one that did not like the RX1? Re: Ken Rockwell:

He was also the one that did not like the RX1?

Re: Ken Rockwell:

Just curious.

HG

frhe wrote:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/sony/a7.htm

-- hide signature --
 Hawaii-geek's gear list:Hawaii-geek's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R +15 more
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,600Gear list
Like?
Without even looking at the link

Let me guess. "Click here to buy links" That would be typical of Rocky and click here to support my family I better go take a look anyway, he is good for a smile.

Danny.

-- hide signature --
Klipsen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,057Gear list
Like?
... or even
In reply to nzmacro, 4 months ago

nzmacro wrote:

Let me guess. "Click here to buy links" That would be typical of Rocky and click here to support my family I better go take a look anyway, he is good for a smile.

Keeping in mind his pro-Nikon, anti-Sony attitude, he's even more likely to say: "Click here to buy this alternative product from Nikon ... etc.".

I don't think I ever saw him recommend a Sony product, no matter how good he says he thinks it is. There's always an alternative from Nikon that will turn out to be "better in the end".

That way he appears to not be anti-Sony, but simply have his readers' best interest in mind.

"Very impressive, but not quite there. Get this Nikon instead", is his usual style.

-- hide signature --

Ceterum censeo soleam calidam ISO esse delendam.

Klipsen's gear list:Klipsen's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +15 more
GXRuser
Contributing MemberPosts: 636
Like?
In reply to Zenjitsuman, 4 months ago

Zenjitsuman wrote:

Sure Rockwell is right A7 is no system camera, its got little Sony support, and no third party except Zeiss support so far.

Even he says Ultra wide Leicas don't work well. He list 35mm as his widest Leica lens and a 50 as his other lens.

This is my problem, I was hoping for better results with rangefinder lenses, maybe Sony will come up with a model like the 5n which was reaction to the Nex 7 not working well with rangefinder glass.

Sony will likely come out with something next fall. Until then I have several systems to use and my Leica stuff can be used on my M4p and new Voigtlander meter II.

Oh how I wish the M stuff could all be use digitally. I can't believe Rockwell thought like I did that in ten years time a m mount digital would be made FF at a reasonable price.

Maybe if Leica went out of business.

We all need to accept that the NEX and A7 work very well with rangefinder lenses, just not ultra wide angle (wider than 35mm).

The only three digital cameras that have done well with ultrawide rangefinder lenses are:

Full Frame: Leica M (240) and Leica M9 with in-camera corrections. There have been some issues raised with the Leica M.

The Sony A7 has been reported to have better results with ultrawide lenses than the A7R due to larger pixels.

Near APS-C: Leica M8 series

APS-C: Ricoh GXR with A12 Mount module (Leica M mount).

le_alain
Contributing MemberPosts: 665Gear list
Like?
In reply to GXRuser, 4 months ago

GXRuser wrote:

We all need to accept that the NEX and A7 work very well with rangefinder lenses, just not ultra wide angle (wider than 35mm).

28mm 24mm are WA noty UWA

the tri-Elmar seems to be fine, but at what price ...

21mm f1.8 Voigtlander, not to bad, as a retrofocus lense, but not as sharp of the tri-Elmar of course.

http://3d-kraft.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=148:ultra-wide-angle-m-mount-lenses-on-sony-a7r&catid=40:camerasandlenses&Itemid=2

le_alain's gear list:le_alain's gear list
Fujifilm X20
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,907Gear list
Like?

Zenjitsuman wrote:

The Sony NEX 5N came out prior to the NEX 7, fwiw. So it wasn't a reaction to any failings of the NEX 7.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Michael Everett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,595
Like?

Zenjitsuman wrote:

I believe the 5n was out well before the 7.

Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 3,504Gear list
Like?
In reply to Michael Everett, 4 months ago

I'm not sure Sony gives  a hoot about rangefinder glass!

Sony is making cameras for use with its native glass first and foremost.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +5 more
sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,406
Like?

Zenjitsuman wrote:

As others have said, the NEX-5N was out well before the NEX-7.

And the NEX-5N, crop camera and all, wasn't perfect with rangefinder wide angle lenses. The GXR/M - purpose built for M lenses - had more solid performance out to the edges, albeit with an older 12.3MP anti-alias free sensor.

You'll be waiting forever for a non-Leica digital solution that works well with ever M / LTM lens known to humankind. Some of the wides don't perform to their utmost on Leica digital cameras! Lenses designed in the film era *do not* always translate to high performance on digital, even if they are priced at a premium.

Oh how I wish the M stuff could all be use digitally.

The M9 and M240 and M Mono await you.

Or, give up. In my view things are only going to get worse on this front. Sony, and all the other makers, are (or will be) producing cameras and lenses to exploit the new digital realities of very dense sensors in very small bodies. They will not compromise those designs to cater to the adapted M lens crowd.

Instead they are going to build out their own ecosystem(s) and at some point there'll be sufficient choice in very high quality lenses that some M lens owners won't care.

This isn't idle speculation on my part, although it is speculation I'll grant you. I came to the conclusion that no company other than Leica is going to cater to these lenses, and even Leica is redesigning some lenses to better perform on digital, so why put faith in a plan that somehow M lenses provide vendor independence or will always deliver high IQ? Neither are true.

I put my money where my mouth is and sold off all of my wide angle M mount lenses. A year ago.

Now in my case I had a number of the most problematic lens design type: symmetrical wide angles, so for me it was an easy conclusion to come to and I must say I've not regretted that decision since, much as I loved most of those lenses on other platforms (including film).

The A7 and A7r, today, are working well with a smaller subset of the M/LTM lens ecosystem. You can either refocus your lens selection around the known-good to known-great lenses, or consider alternatives such as buying native glass (when it is available) or filling missing focal lengths in with adapted SLR lenses.

Hoping for a future non-Leica digital back nirvanna for every M lens ever made... IMO is a waste of time.

Brian P Smith
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Re: ... or even
In reply to Klipsen, 4 months ago

Klipsen wrote:

nzmacro wrote:

Keeping in mind his pro-Nikon, anti-Sony attitude, he's even more likely to say: "Click here to buy this alternative product from Nikon ... etc.".

I don't think I ever saw him recommend a Sony product, no matter how good he says he thinks it is. There's always an alternative from Nikon that will turn out to be "better in the end".

That way he appears to not be anti-Sony, but simply have his readers' best interest in mind.

"Very impressive, but not quite there. Get this Nikon instead", is his usual style.

-- hide signature --

Ceterum censeo soleam calidam ISO esse delendam.

It seems to me (and this is just an opinion) that Ken likes Nikon cameras, because he really likes legacy lenses, and Nikon has a huge legacy lens base with the F-mount lenses. To have current cameras support lenses made in the 1970s, without an adapter, is still a feat to me, especially with a new "top of the line" camera designed specifically to fully support these lenses. I really like mirrorless cameras, but if I grew up on Nikon, and loved legacy lenses, I'd probably be ingrained with Nikon as well.

-- hide signature --

(Not the renowned photographer, just a pharmacist that likes to take pictures)

Brian P Smith's gear list:Brian P Smith's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H3 +2 more
SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,405Gear list
Like?
In reply to sroute, 4 months ago

I still think that for less than $5000, the A7 and A7R are the best that things are going to get for rangefinder lens users right now.

The one short-term improvement we might see is (depending on what's possible through Sony's SDK) some apps that do Leica-type corrections in camera.

In short, if you can live with correcting in post for vignetting and color cast, then go with whichever of the two cameras requires least correction (and produces least smearing) with the lenses you want to use. If you can't live with that, buy a Leica, sell the RF glass, or wait some more and see if someone else (Ricoh? Fuji?) comes out with something that's a better compromise for you. From what I've seen on the Fuji rumors site, it won't be a short wait.

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
JohnSingkit
Regular MemberPosts: 328
Like?
In reply to SQLGuy, 4 months ago

SQLGuy wrote:

I still think that for less than $5000, the A7 and A7R are the best that things are going to get for rangefinder lens users right now.

The one short-term improvement we might see is (depending on what's possible through Sony's SDK) some apps that do Leica-type corrections in camera.

In short, if you can live with correcting in post for vignetting and color cast, then go with whichever of the two cameras requires least correction (and produces least smearing) with the lenses you want to use. If you can't live with that, buy a Leica, sell the RF glass, or wait some more and see if someone else (Ricoh? Fuji?) comes out with something that's a better compromise for you. From what I've seen on the Fuji rumors site, it won't be a short wait.

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

Luminous Landscape (Reichman) has a suggestion on how to fix the WA issue for Leica WA lenses and, presumably, it applies to other WA (not all) M lenses.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/a7r_m_lens_report.shtml

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads