Poll: which size FF Foveon would prefer?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
mike earussi
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,747
Like?
Poll: which size FF Foveon would prefer?
9 months ago

I'm optimistic that Sigma will eventually produce a FF camera but I'm still debating over which resolution I'd prefer.

If Sigma just took the present SD1M pixel density and made it FF it would make around a 32mp chip. This would easily exceed any other dslr on the market in terms of absolute resolution including the Pentax 645 and Leica S and probably come close to the 50-60mp digital MF backs, which would be a very strong selling point. But it might, baring improved technology, also keep the same present problems of poor high iso noise and blotchy shadows.

OTOH, a FF 24mp Foveon chip would have better low light noise and less shadow color blotchiness than a 32mp Foveon, and 24mp is pretty much a FF standard now anyway with the Canon 5DIII, Nikon 610 and Sony A7. Plus the files would be smaller and so would process faster and require less storage.

I have no way of knowing whether Sigma has yet made any decision on this, but if they haven't I thought it would be interesting to get a poll and a variety of opinions on this which may help to influence their decision.

Thanks

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sigma SD1 Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
carlos roncatti
Senior MemberPosts: 2,662Gear list
Like?
why not using the poll tool?
In reply to mike earussi, 9 months ago

NT

-- hide signature --

To understand photography, you must understand that the experience must be much more important than the result ....
Carlos Roncatti Bomfim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyeCYthMbd0
http://www.crbimage.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mike earussi
Like?
Re: why not using the poll tool?
In reply to carlos roncatti, 9 months ago

carlos roncatti wrote:

NT

-- hide signature --

To understand photography, you must understand that the experience must be much more important than the result ....
Carlos Roncatti Bomfim

Because I'd like more detailed opinions than just a check mark.

xpatUSA
Senior MemberPosts: 3,275Gear list
Like?
Re: why not using the poll tool?

mike earussi wrote:

carlos roncatti wrote:

NT

-- hide signature --

Carlos Roncatti Bomfim

Because I'd like more detailed opinions than just a check mark.

Sorry, Mike, I have to agree with Carlos.

You'll get detail opinions galore, I'm sure, but it is nice to see the sentiment (i.e. results of poll) of those interested enough to punch a button. Many folk (most) hit a button and pass an opinion anyway. (Keeps the post count up )

Anyway, I'd like to see the SD10 sensor up-sized to FF and duly improved . . . 10MB

-- hide signature --

"For every opinion, there is an equal and opposite"
Ted
SD9, SD10, GH1 and a lens or two

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 +2 more
Hornbrille
Regular MemberPosts: 290Gear list
Like?
Re: Poll: which size FF Foveon would prefer?

I'm less optimistic regarding FF and I believe that the future lies in smaller sensors combined with faster and better lenses. My guess is that Sigma will reveal a 20MP MFT sensor with less noise than the Merrill line.

Uwe 8-)

Hornbrille's gear list:Hornbrille's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill +1 more
dr.noise
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,461Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hornbrille, 9 months ago

Hornbrille wrote:

I believe that the future lies

dr.noise
Like?

Currently it's 4800 * 3200 which is quite generous. So if they go for FF, just leave the resolution the same for bigger pixels, and I'd easily agree for less, like 3600 * 2400 which is anyway much better than my DP2s.

What really needs to be improved is high ISO colors and noise.
The problem Foveon has now is not even about sensor size. It could be FF, APS-C or m43, doesn't really matter. It's only 10% about resolution and 90% about high ISO colors and noise.

Extending usable ISO to 6400 while keeping saturated colors would be a real breakthrough and maybe x5 times increment in user base. That is really what we need. Along with better low light AF and overall more refined system.

HBowman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,133
Like?

Hello Mike,

If Foveon output a full frame sensor, I would like it below 30 Mp, like old 22 Mp MFDB's. Foveon do not need that much pixels compared to bayer.

The electronic behind it is very important especially for colour transitions and you have two ways :

- High MP sensor >> The pixel density will produce better tonal transitions (i.e D800...)

- Low MP sensor (16 Mp) >> BUT with 16 bit readout/output colours (thus a new electronic behind the sensor).

If you give me the choice I would prefer the second option.

-- hide signature --
joaquin100
Senior MemberPosts: 1,542Gear list
Like?
In reply to HBowman, 9 months ago

HBowman wrote:

Hello Mike,

If Foveon output a full frame sensor, I would like it below 30 Mp, like old 22 Mp MFDB's. Foveon do not need that much pixels compared to bayer.

The electronic behind it is very important especially for colour transitions and you have two ways :

- High MP sensor >> The pixel density will produce better tonal transitions (i.e D800...)

- Low MP sensor (16 Mp) >> BUT with 16 bit readout/output colours (thus a new electronic behind the sensor).

As Nikon user the color output and overall IQ of SD14/SD15 made me to buy them, then i would go for the low MP sensor if it brings the vibrant colors back.

A SD15 Happy camper.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,427Gear list
Like?

mike earussi wrote:

<...>

OTOH, a FF 24mp Foveon chip would have better low light noise and less shadow color blotchiness than a 32mp Foveon, and 24mp is pretty much a FF standard now anyway with the Canon 5DIII, Nikon 610 and Sony A7. Plus the files would be smaller and so would process faster and require less storage.

I agree with this one.  Having a lower pixel count means the ISO noise gap from other cameras is reduced... and comparing 24MP stacked to 24MP bayer would yield a consistently clear advantage to the Foveon chip.

It would also be a large enough jump over the current camera resolutions to make it worth switching to.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
mike earussi
Like?

HBowman wrote:

Hello Mike,

-- hide signature --

A 4x pixel binned 32mp chip yielding 8 large mp or a 9x binned 3.5 very large mp sensor (same as the SD9/10) would also produce much better high iso sensitivity and still give you the option of 32mp when needed, and could also produce superb 4K video if Sigma ever decided to add it.

mike earussi
Like?
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, 9 months ago

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

mike earussi wrote:

<...>

I agree with this one. Having a lower pixel count means the ISO noise gap from other cameras is reduced... and comparing 24MP stacked to 24MP bayer would yield a consistently clear advantage to the Foveon chip.

In theory, yes, but when I compared the D800E vs. D610 and A7r to the A7 uprezzed to match, the noise at high ISOs looks the same. Whether this would also be the case for Sigma I don't know.

It would also be a large enough jump over the current camera resolutions to make it worth switching to.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,427Gear list
Like?

mike earussi wrote:

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

I agree with this one. Having a lower pixel count means the ISO noise gap from other cameras is reduced... and comparing 24MP stacked to 24MP bayer would yield a consistently clear advantage to the Foveon chip.

In theory, yes, but when I compared the D800E vs. D610 and A7r to the A7 uprezzed to match, the noise at high ISOs looks the same. Whether this would also be the case for Sigma I don't know.

I don't think you can really apply the results of slightly larger photo sites on a totally different sensor type to what it would mean for a Foveon chip though...  there's no reason to think the larger photo sites would not help the results.

The Sony output already looks like a ton of noise reduction is being applied anyway, which is probably masking any difference.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
jrdigitalart
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,073
Like?
FWIW . . .
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, 9 months ago

. . . I'm pretty happy with the current Sigma Foveon chip's resolution, so if we keep the spatial location count "as is" and apply it to FF, Voila! Deal Maker!

-- hide signature --

Sincere regards, Jim Roelofs
Cherish your privacy? Avoid (sp)iPhones.
You are welcome to visit my portfolio here:
http://www.pbase.com/jrdigitalart

Johan Borg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,908
Like?

HBowman wrote:

Hello Mike,

+1 for 22 Mp, or more precisely 5730 x 3820 active pixels, giving us 4K resolution also when using DC lenses - or shooting video (usually less need for wide angle). Judging from history with HD, 4K screens should dominate the market for a number of years...

PrebenR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,706
Like?

I expect the physical size to be constant, but resolution or number of pixels as you ask about is something that have many factors.

In favour of high MP (32x3):

• Marketing
  • Resolution

In favour og low MP (15x3):

• Handheld shooting
  • Noise (not entirely sure)
  • Lens choice
  • Post processing time
  • Storage space ånd write times

I would not mind the Merrill sensor MP count in a FF chip.
--
Lightwriting with Sigma

PrebenR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,706
Like?
In reply to Johan Borg, 9 months ago

Johan Borg wrote:

HBowman wrote:

Hello Mike,

+1 for 22 Mp, or more precisely 5730 x 3820 active pixels, giving us 4K resolution also when using DC lenses - or shooting video (usually less need for wide angle). Judging from history with HD, 4K screens should dominate the market for a number of years...

10 years time. Current 4K screens have severe lag problems, at least those on display.
--
Lightwriting with Sigma

vkphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,604
Like?
Term FF?

Never understood the modern concept of "FF". Every camera on the market is a full frame camera.

Some have smaller FF sensors (APC-S and smaller), some have bigger FF sensors (24x36) and some have very large FF sensors (6x6 and up).

I think that term "FF" is more suitable to describe the lens. It can be less than FF (DX lens on FX body, NEX lens on A7), equal to FF (XF on Fuji X) or larger than FF  (Nikkor AI-s on Fuji X).

Anyway, back to the original question, my vote goes to Foveon 6x4.5

-- hide signature --
Hornbrille
Regular MemberPosts: 290Gear list
Like?
In reply to dr.noise, 9 months ago

Oops. Hens lay, people lie/lye.

Hornbrille's gear list:Hornbrille's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill +1 more
dr.noise
Like?
In reply to PrebenR, 9 months ago

PrebenR wrote:

10 years time. Current 4K screens have severe lag problems, at least those on display.

Even common FullHD is mostly enough for viewing from 2-3 meters on a 50" plasma.

4K, I dunno, maybe for cinema screen only.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads