Where is all the love for the earlier NEX'?

Started Dec 12, 2013 | Discussions
G9 Amateur
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
Where is all the love for the earlier NEX'?
Dec 12, 2013

Dear Forum,

I still love my NEX5N's quality for stills and video. I used to be an avid NEX forum reader - getting tips and news from fellow NEX users.

BUT - lately it seems that about 80% of the posts are about A7/A7R. Maybe the forum should be renamed A7/A7R Talk? I guess it's a brilliant camera but it's way too expensive for my use og I don't like the design.

Hopefully others feel the same way? I may look for another forum/site to satisfy my lust for NEX 3/5/6/7/rangefinder-style news.

I love the NEX 5 pricerange og the design (nothing bigger please..). Am looking for a NEX 6 update (would like the viewfinder for manual focus use but will miss the capacitive touchscreen of the 5N - love it for touch to focus and menu-navigation). A new model NEX 6 with touchscreen would be a perfect upgrade. FF models are (currently) too expensive for a lot of people's use and I also don't like the DLSR-like A3000 design - which seems to defy the whole purpose of a "small" mirrorless camera

Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,157Gear list
Like?
Re: Where is all the love for the earlier NEX'?
In reply to G9 Amateur, Dec 12, 2013

They are incredible cameras... but when Sony announced with the introduction of the A7/R that the NEX line would be discontinued, it sort of took the wind out of the sails of some NEX enthusiasts.

It's like when my friend raved about his Saturn, but had a different outlook when they went under. It's still a good car.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?

I sill have my original NEX-5 and even though I dont use it much I still think it is a very competent camera. As to all of the A7 posts I wouldnt let it bother me if I were you. just like any new camera it is getting all of the attention right now, but that will die back down once it isnt the latest and greatest anymore. I highly suspect that the vast majority here are like you and me and plan on continuing to shoot with our APS NEX cameras for a very long time

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN | Art Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 22,186Gear list
Like?
I will have lots of photos very soon!

I'm working on sorting through and processing/cropping all my photos from my vacation this past week, and am about 1/2 way through now...I hopefully will be able to get through them all by Friday night - I shot with my A580 and my NEX-5N, including a lot of use of my new 10-18mm OSS NEX lens which I picked up just before I left.  I still have plenty of love for my NEX-5N, and it's been on two trips in the past month with plenty of use.  In fact, I'm keeping an eye out for its eventual replacement, which will likely be one of the next APS-C bodies in the NEX line to succeed the NEX5, 6, or 7...full frame is neat, but I don't really want or need it, so I'm watching for the next APS-C.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Beaverhelmet
Contributing MemberPosts: 645Gear list
Like?

I use my NEX-5N, NEX-7, A77 and A7R in equal amounts. They are all great cameras, and they all excel in different areas. I think there still are a lot of people who love their NEX:es, it's just that it is more fun to discuss new things, and A7/A7R is the new thing right now.

Beaverhelmet's gear list:Beaverhelmet's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7S +9 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?
Its a phase

Dear Forum,

I still love my NEX5N's quality for stills and video. I used to be an avid NEX forum reader - getting tips and news from fellow NEX users.

BUT - lately it seems that about 80% of the posts are about A7/A7R. Maybe the forum should be renamed A7/A7R Talk? I guess it's a brilliant camera but it's way too expensive for my use og I don't like the design.

Hopefully others feel the same way? I may look for another forum/site to satisfy my lust for NEX 3/5/6/7/rangefinder-style news.

I love the NEX 5 pricerange og the design (nothing bigger please..). Am looking for a NEX 6 update (would like the viewfinder for manual focus use but will miss the capacitive touchscreen of the 5N - love it for touch to focus and menu-navigation). A new model NEX 6 with touchscreen would be a perfect upgrade. FF models are (currently) too expensive for a lot of people's use and I also don't like the DLSR-like A3000 design - which seems to defy the whole purpose of a "small" mirrorless camera

When NEX-6/7 replacements arrive in 2-3 months, the forum will shift in that direction.

That being said, I think a lot has to do with us caring more for the latest.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
RedRockRed
Regular MemberPosts: 202Gear list
Like?

I looked back at the state of this forum a couple pre-A7 months back and hardly recognized it as the same place. The NEX platform may not be dead, but its certainly been relegated to crazy aunt status.

RedRockRed's gear list:RedRockRed's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
Habs Fan27
Regular MemberPosts: 384
Like?

Like others have said, A7/A7r are the new cameras that everyone is stoked about.  A lot of people have just recently got their cameras delivered and are posting images/problems/observations/etc.

New products will be released and the initial full frame fever will die down a bit.  I remember the same thing happened when the A77 was released.  I had an A35 at the time and all the talk was A77 because it was the top camera for Sony at the time that was at the top end of affordability.

I'm sure we will get more information on new APSC emount gear early in the new year.

boardsy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,204Gear list
Like?
In reply to KwhyChang, Dec 12, 2013

KwhyChang wrote:

They are incredible cameras...

Yes!

but when Sony announced with the introduction of the A7/R that the NEX line would be discontinued, it sort of took the wind out of the sails of some NEX enthusiasts.

No, they said the NEX name would be discontinued, not the line of cameras. Though admittedly their future is a little uncertain, between A7s and the A3000 pseudo-DSLR style.

Vive la brick!

NEX-F3 with FDn 50/1.4 + Lens Turbo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59079068@N02/11058588765/

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Alan
my Flickr

rsf3127
Forum MemberPosts: 72Gear list
Like?
In reply to RedRockRed, Dec 12, 2013

I still believe that the NEX size and the APS-C format are more adequate to the way I shoot.

Once in my life I took a DSLR with me on vacation and hated it every minute for its size and weight.

After I bought the NEX-5N, the hassle is gone. As a result, I take a lot more pictures and better ones.

When a manufacturer launches a camera that has the same concept with better IQ, it is expected that us pixel peepers go for it. But I don't see the A7 as an upgrade for my NEX. It is almost the same size as a small DSLR, and the lenses are not smallish either. So the portability is compromised.

I would trade loosing a bit of low light capability for the weight and size advantage of the NEX without a doubt. And there is also the $$$ factor that cannot be oversighted.

-- hide signature --

Gabriel

rsf3127's gear list:rsf3127's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A35 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro +6 more
KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,157Gear list
Like?
In reply to boardsy, Dec 12, 2013
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,699Gear list
Like?

Sadly, the NEX and the NEX form is dead. It may be replaced in the future by a larger, similar-looking camera with a different name, but with the addition of a small fake prism hump containing an EVF. We don't know if this camera will continue the NEX's APSC sensor size or if it will be full frame.

Sony are famous for their inconsistency and poor product planning.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,699Gear list
Like?
Re: I will have lots of photos very soon!
In reply to zackiedawg, Dec 12, 2013

zackiedawg wrote:

I'm working on sorting through and processing/cropping all my photos from my vacation this past week, and am about 1/2 way through now...I hopefully will be able to get through them all by Friday night - I shot with my A580 and my NEX-5N, including a lot of use of my new 10-18mm OSS NEX lens which I picked up just before I left. I still have plenty of love for my NEX-5N, and it's been on two trips in the past month with plenty of use. In fact, I'm keeping an eye out for its eventual replacement, which will likely be one of the next APS-C bodies in the NEX line to succeed the NEX5, 6, or 7...full frame is neat, but I don't really want or need it, so I'm watching for the next APS-C.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

What with the sales failure of the A3000, we can only hope that Sony will finally begin to listen to the NEX enthusiasts and finally release some new rangefinder-style cameras in hopefully, the APSC format as opposed to FF.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Will Frost
Regular MemberPosts: 214
Like?

Ugh. I still miss my Saturn. A darn fine car.

edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?

KwhyChang wrote:

They are incredible cameras... but when Sony announced with the introduction of the A7/R that the NEX line would be discontinued, it sort of took the wind out of the sails of some NEX enthusiasts.

personally I find this funny - - they only announced that the NEX name was going to be dropped - they clearly are not dropping the e-mount and I would bet they will keep making APS censored cameras with the e-mount - so who cares what they call them?

when you think about it NEX stood for "New E-Mount experience" how long can they keep calling it "new" it had to end sometime

frankly I would be much more worried if I loved the A-mount dslrs - - these are probably much more likely to actually be discontinued with the future belonging to e-mount cameras from sony

It's like when my friend raved about his Saturn, but had a different outlook when they went under. It's still a good car.

-- hide signature --

Dave

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN | Art Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
boardsy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,204Gear list
Like?

KwhyChang wrote:

I didn't write these articles, I didn't discontinue the name:

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/sony_a_mount_not_dead_but_nex_is/

http://workflowphotography.com/43376/sony-a-mount-not-dead-but-nex-is.php

-- hide signature --

Dave

Thanks - the articles are also correct: " the company's NEX branding is to be officially ended, as Sony focuses on promoting the Alpha naming convention"

The NEX name is dead, not the line.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Alan
my Flickr

Dirk W
Senior MemberPosts: 1,582Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, Dec 12, 2013

Says your crystal ball?

Dirk W's gear list:Dirk W's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N A3000 +18 more
LifeIsAVerb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027
Like?

KwhyChang wrote:

I didn't write these articles, I didn't discontinue the name:

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/sony_a_mount_not_dead_but_nex_is/

http://workflowphotography.com/43376/sony-a-mount-not-dead-but-nex-is.php

-- hide signature --

Dave

These aren't "articles" unless two paragraphs count as an article. One link goes to a two-paragraph bit of writing whose main intention is to relay Sony's intention to release a new A-mount lens next year, and the other link goes to the other Web page which links back to the first one with the two paragraphs. Such is the rigor of the Mindless Speculator Gang on the forum.

The relevant paragraph, in its entirety:

"Meanwhile, it seems that the company's NEX branding is to be officially ended, as Sony focuses on promoting the Alpha naming convention for all of its mirrorless cameras. So expect to see future E-Mount cameras without that familiar NEX nomenclature..."

Note the operative "it seems" (Translation: The author has no idea, but he'll speculate anyway. But that's plenty for the Speculator Gang.) and that the naming will change for future E-mount cameras, but not, necessarily, the form. There could well be E-mount cameras very similar in form/size/function to the current NEX line, but with a new naming system.

No one really knows for sure, but that doesn't stop the speculaltive, recreational trolling out here from people who have less interest in actual photography than with what the names of cameras might be.

piticoto
Regular MemberPosts: 205
Like?
Re: We do have the love for NEX, but where is the othe side, DPR or Sony?
In reply to captura, Dec 12, 2013

captura wrote:

Sadly, the NEX and the NEX form is dead.

I think so too. I'm not worry about the name but the style and size.

It may be replaced in the future by a larger, similar-looking camera with a different name, but with the addition of a small fake prism hump containing an EVF. We don't know if this camera will continue the NEX's APSC sensor size or if it will be full frame.

Sony are famous for their inconsistency and poor product planning.

On top of the form and style concerns, to answer to the OP I also think that the Nex talk here is going to diminish even more. It looks like DPR cares more about being in line with the products made than the readers already gained. I'll just spend time and look for Nex forums somewhere else on the web, hopefully they are more. This forum as is it doesn't "welcome" people wanting to read about Nex cameras. It's like a mid sized sedan in a parking lot or on the road full of pick up trucks or large SUV's.

I wonder if Sony dumped the Nex name and design because of so many complains about focus and sharpness expected from Nex cameras and rather than improving the product they just made a new one, obviously different. Probably it's too much trouble and cost to dive into the details of why a lot of times the Nex cameras don't deliver as expected and make them better. And if they would make the Nex cameras better is like recognizing that they were not so good to begin with, and I don't expect a Japanese company to do that.

Philip Corlis
Contributing MemberPosts: 822Gear list
Like?

While the NEX name may be gone the body style will remain. There are many of us who (1) can't afford full frame cameras and lenses and (B) prefer the "rangefinder" style of the older NEX line. Since the A7 and the A7R are such ground breaking cameras its understandable they would swallow up all the oxygen in the room on their release. But there will be other releases and soon even they will fall into the shadows of discussion boards, blogs, and forums.

BTW - I upgraded from my old 5N to a 5R with its resistive screen and from my perspective there is no real difference in sensitivity. If anything the new screens are a little less prone to accidental touch.

Keep shooting

-- hide signature --

Phil
www.PhilCorlis.com
www.FindingBritain.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads