New 25mm f1.8 pancake with new OMD (rumor)

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
bluevellet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,663Gear list
Like?
New 25mm f1.8 pancake with new OMD (rumor)
8 months ago

http://www.43rumors.com/ft3-olympus-25mm-f1-8-to-be-announced-in-february/#comments

Long, longgggggggg overdue if true. I get why Panasonic never made one, but the field was wide open for someone else to do it.

Hopefully, it will be priced like Zuiko 45mm.

bluevellet's gear list:bluevellet's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon D610 +7 more
DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,001Gear list
Like?
Re: New 25mm f1.8 pancake with new OMD (rumor)
In reply to bluevellet, 8 months ago

It is only an F3 rumor so don't get too excited about this rumor. 

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lambert4
Senior MemberPosts: 1,208Gear list
Like?
A faster pancake has been long over due, the 20mm is amazing.

I have been wishing for a pancake if they weather seal it to match the bodies that would be hands down the determiner in pre-ordering for me.  It would be great to get a prime to match the bodies in any element or conditions.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 12,754
Like?
Re: A faster pancake has been long over due, the 20mm is amazing.
In reply to lambert4, 8 months ago

f1.8 is slower than f1.7, not faster.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,301Gear list
Like?
Pancake? Or "small doughnut" ? (NT)

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Martin Ocando
Senior MemberPosts: 2,561Gear list
Like?
Good beating to that horse.

I don't know why, but it appears Olympus and Panasonic are continuously beating the 15-17-20-25 range to death. I mean, I love my old Panny 20, but that's it. Is the most used lens in my arsenal, but also I use the 45-200mm a lot, but there are simply not many options in tele primes.

What do we have now:

Soon a 15 1.7, 17 1.8, 17 2.8, 20 1.7, another 20 1.7, a 25 1.4 and now another 25 1.8, and sigma 30mm 2.8. Hey!!! there are other great focal lengths.

Squeezing in the Sigma, it makes 8 lenses in that range, while only 3 in the 60-75mm range (all expensive, but the Sigma, which I think is a life saver. I hope to get my hands on one before the year ends), 2 on the 45mm range (High quality, but very expensive), only one on the 12mm range (just nothing for mere mortals) and simply NOTHING on tele primes.

Personally, I believe the 100 to 400mm range have been completely overlooked.

My wish list is, in order of importance:

1. The Sigma 60mm is already on B&H's shopping cart, waiting for my bonus day

2. Panny 35-100mm (Believed to be around soon) (I hope is in the 300$ range)

3. 200mm f:4 or f:5.6 with OIS (200-400$ range) f:2 or 2.8 would be amazing, but I'm sure it'll be over many people's budget.

4. 12mm f:2.8 or f:3.5 (150-200$ range) I really prefer low price than fast aperture. Lens is already wide enough to be used handheld at 1/focal length shutter speed. I already have the 14 2.5, and I love it. Tiny little lens. Although, I could use the extra coverage of a 12mm.

-- hide signature --
 Martin Ocando's gear list:Martin Ocando's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +6 more
bluevellet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,663Gear list
Like?
Re: Good beating to that horse.
In reply to Martin Ocando, 8 months ago

Martin Ocando wrote:

I don't know why, but it appears Olympus and Panasonic are continuously beating the 15-17-20-25 range to death. I mean, I love my old Panny 20, but that's it. Is the most used lens in my arsenal, but also I use the 45-200mm a lot, but there are simply not many options in tele primes.

What do we have now:

Soon a 15 1.7, 17 1.8, 17 2.8, 20 1.7, another 20 1.7, a 25 1.4 and now another 25 1.8, and sigma 30mm 2.8. Hey!!! there are other great focal lengths.

Squeezing in the Sigma, it makes 8 lenses in that range, while only 3 in the 60-75mm range (all expensive, but the Sigma, which I think is a life saver. I hope to get my hands on one before the year ends), 2 on the 45mm range (High quality, but very expensive), only one on the 12mm range (just nothing for mere mortals) and simply NOTHING on tele primes.

Personally, I believe the 100 to 400mm range have been completely overlooked.

My wish list is, in order of importance:

1. The Sigma 60mm is already on B&H's shopping cart, waiting for my bonus day

2. Panny 35-100mm (Believed to be around soon) (I hope is in the 300$ range)

3. 200mm f:4 or f:5.6 with OIS (200-400$ range) f:2 or 2.8 would be amazing, but I'm sure it'll be over many people's budget.

4. 12mm f:2.8 or f:3.5 (150-200$ range) I really prefer low price than fast aperture. Lens is already wide enough to be used handheld at 1/focal length shutter speed. I already have the 14 2.5, and I love it. Tiny little lens. Although, I could use the extra coverage of a 12mm.

-- hide signature --

17mm f2.8 is crap

There's no two 20mm, same lens with different casing replacing the old one.

Only one 25mm from Pana/Oly. Great lens but some feel it's too big and too pricey, especially compared to cheap 50mm equivalent on DSLR's.

bluevellet's gear list:bluevellet's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon D610 +7 more
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,711Gear list
Like?
In reply to Martin Ocando, 8 months ago

Martin Ocando wrote:

Canon makes an f/2.8 200mm (for FF DSLR) with stellar image quality and very fast and silent AF, costing $700 or so. An m43 lens with this spec should be cheaper (not likely in reality because of smaller production/sales numbers, but anyway ...). This is a relatively light and compact lens that would still balance pretty well with the bigger m43 cameras like OMD. f/2 lenses of this type always cost thousands of dollars and are very heavy, so that would be an unlikely choice.

If they can make the lens a lot smaller/lighter by reducing the aperture to f/3.5 of f/4, maybe that is still an interesting option for m43 but it would make the lens less attractive to nature photographers etc. If they want to set such a tele prime apart from the existing m43 tele zooms, it should be either bright or very light/compact (with clearly better IQ than the zooms).

The situation there is not much different from APS-C DSLRs: you can chose from several zooms (some of them pretty good) but there are (almost) no compact, high quality WA/SWA primes. My guess is that a quality compact WA prime costs the same for the manufacturer as an SWA zoom - and the zoom will be much easier to sell to the average user.

In fact, it's similar to what happens with the long tele primes mentioned above: most people seem to prefer dim zooms (with usually unremarkable IQ) over a high quality bright tele prime.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
broody
Regular MemberPosts: 297
Like?
In reply to technic, 8 months ago

The 75mm Zuiko makes the case for a 200mm-equivalent lens harder. After all, you just have to sacrifice 4 MP to achieve the same "focal length" via cropping. Most people wouldn't buy both, and the 75mm is a VERY loved lens. I think a longer prime is in Oly's road map, though.

The 25mm will be good for the format if it's like $200, then it will be the 20mm pancake done right. I suspect Panasonic didn't fix the AF issues in that lens with the refresh, because then it would be too good value and eat into the sales of their upcoming 15mm Summilux, not to mention the 25mm 1.4.

Dolan Halbrook
Senior MemberPosts: 1,204Gear list
Like?

If the optics were anything like the 45 I'd buy this lens in a heartbeat.

Dolan Halbrook's gear list:Dolan Halbrook's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +5 more
clengman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297Gear list
Like?

bluevellet wrote:

http://www.43rumors.com/ft3-olympus-25mm-f1-8-to-be-announced-in-february/#comments

Long, longgggggggg overdue if true. I get why Panasonic never made one, but the field was wide open for someone else to do it.

Hopefully, it will be priced like Zuiko 45mm.

I was planning to buy myself the 17 f/1.8 as a birthday present in the spring. I think I'd still prefer the 17mm, but if the 25mm f/1.8 is real and considerably less expensive, I might go for it instead.

I remember a rumor about a 25mm f/2.8 pancake "macro" kit lens that first came up last year. The patent was posted on the rumor site. I hope this hasn't been mistaken for that.

clengman's gear list:clengman's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +4 more
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,186Gear list
Like?

It is always good to have more competition.

But it would have to be very good indeed to distract me from my plan to get the Panasonic lens in this focal length. If the Olympus was Sigma priced, a pancake as rumoured, better built than the 45mm, and sharper than the Olympus 17mm, it would help. It might be a good kit lens, but I am not sure there is a need as a stand-alone purchase.

Personally, I have not noted criticisms of the Panasonic in this forum. I remember one thread a year or more ago that said it was bigger than the poster wanted it to be. It is not cheap but not that expensive relative to other lenses (although certainly more than the Sigma 30mm) In fact, every one says the Panasonic 25 renders beautifully and they would never part with it. The photos on this forum taken with it have been very impressive.

But lets see what actually might come down the pipe.

F.

-- hide signature --

When no-one else is there, the camera becomes my means...to say to a wider audience, "Did you see that?" David duChemin

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,147
Like?

I love pancakes, but this one won't have too much syrup for me as I can't see replacing the 25/1.4 with a slower lens.

I do see it good for a small form factor alternative, which would be appropriate for cams such as GM1.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Iskender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,313
Like?
In reply to FrankS009, 8 months ago

FrankS009 wrote:

I am not sure there is a need. Personally, I have not noted criticisms of the Panasonic in this forum. I remember one thread a year or more ago that said it was bigger than the poster wanted it to be. It is not cheap but not that expensive relative to other lenses (although certainly more than the Sigma 30mm) In fact, every one says the Panasonic 25 renders beautifully and they would never part with it. The photos on this forum taken with it have been very impressive. But lets see what actually might come down the pipe.

Unfortunately the price complaints are very real criticisms for a lot of us. Here, one can get Sigma 19, 30 and 60/2.8 for 90 euros less than the 25/1.4. Even if you swap out one of them for the Samyang fisheye, the price will only be ten euros more. Same thing with the 45/1.8: get it and two of the Sigmas, and it's the same price. It and the fisheye are cheaper, too.

I know the 25/1.4 is a great lens. But the fact is, I'm unlikely to buy it in the near future because of the price. I've been waiting for a sharp, affordable 50 mm equivalent since the Four Thirds days, and I wouldn't mind if it's about to arrive. It wouldn't even have to be the same price as the 45: as long as it doesn't go past 400, it'll be much better.

technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,711Gear list
Like?
In reply to broody, 8 months ago

broody wrote:

The 75mm Zuiko makes the case for a 200mm-equivalent lens harder. After all, you just have to sacrifice 4 MP to achieve the same "focal length" via cropping.

Sacrifice 'just 4 MP'?? Please explain the funny math you are using to get to this conclusion ...

Maybe if you are using an old 5 MP m43 camera (if they exist ...) and are happy with 1 MP resolution, but otherwise no chance.

Most people wouldn't buy both, and the 75mm is a VERY loved lens. I think a longer prime is in Oly's road map, though.

they are very different, 75mm is not suitable for most nature/wildlife photographer (and the other way round, a 200mm is not suitable for most of the shots that people would use the 75 for).

The 25mm will be good for the format if it's like $200, then it will be the 20mm pancake done right. I suspect Panasonic didn't fix the AF issues in that lens with the refresh, because then it would be too good value and eat into the sales of their upcoming 15mm Summilux, not to mention the 25mm 1.4.

it's interesting to see what they come up with. But compared to Ff DSLRs the price/performance ratio for these lenses is awful. For most DSLRs there is a high quality 1.8/50mm with good AF for $ 100 or so. You pay a lot extra for having a compact m43 lens, which often is optically a bit behind their FF DSLR counterparts.

I also suspect that the manufacturers are not offering the best they can because they have to protect the (many) existing designs in this focal length range.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
ulfie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,166
Like?
Hmm...
In reply to KwhyChang, 8 months ago

25mm f1.8.  Hmm...  I entered m4/3 and have stayed there with only one lens, the Panny 20/1.7.  A very fine lens even with its slower (but not slow) AF.  But decades ago ... Whoa, has it been that long? ... I started in (film) photography with the ubiquitous 50mm f1.8 and felt very comfortable with its "normal" FOV.  It fits in with my sono-mama ("as-is" in Japanese) photographic style.  It sees the way I see.  I like this unpretentiousness.  The P20 is fine, the digital equivalent of the film-based Sonnar 40mm f2.8 I had for years on my Rollei 35S (another gem).  It wasn't exactly the way I "see" but it was fine nonetheless.  I learned to live with it.

Of course there is the P25/1.4, a very fine optic but bigger (not big though) than the 20 and of course pricier.  I wasn't willing to fork out that much cash just for the 50mm equivalent FOV.  So I learned to live with and appreciate the P20.  This 25/1.8 rumor is attractive, but only if the price is modest and the IQ near or equivalent to the 20.  Maybe asking too much?  Maybe.  Regardless, life is good in the m4/3's world with some many choices and such very decent IQ.

C Sean
Regular MemberPosts: 297
Like?
Re: Hmm...
In reply to ulfie, 8 months ago

This is only speculation but I don't think this rumoured 25 pancake is actually a pancake. I think this rumoured lens most likely follow the same exterior style design of both the 12mm, 17mm and the 45mm. I could be wrong because it would get bit confusing having so many lenses looking the same.

FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,186Gear list
Like?
In reply to Iskender, 8 months ago

It is certainly true that the Panasonic 25mm is priced differently in different countries. The American price on Amazon is $484, the Canadian one $499.  That is not exactly cheap for me either, but the Olympus 45mm is only about a hundred dollars less, and the 17mm about 50$ more.

F.

-- hide signature --

When no-one else is there, the camera becomes my means...to say to a wider audience, "Did you see that?" David duChemin

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 5,456Gear list
Like?

The most useless release they could possibly do.

peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 5,456Gear list
Like?

bluevellet wrote:

Only one 25mm from Pana/Oly. Great lens but some feel it's too big and too pricey, especially compared to cheap 50mm equivalent on DSLR's.

If you think Oly 25/1.8 will be any cheaper, you are up to a rude awakening (see 17/1.8 for the whopping $500 - same price as Pana 25/1.4). Even if they release it at $400 like 45/1.8, it still would not make sense (2/3 of the stop for extra $100 would still be too tempting). Compared to $100 (and sometimes $90) full-frame 50/1.8 the 25/1.8 should be $50, but it will not be because Oly pricing managers are in swindling mode.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads