Laptops signal the demise of the DSLR/ILC

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 3,265Gear list
Like?
Laptops signal the demise of the DSLR/ILC
10 months ago

New data suggests that the dedicated camera has a new enemy. Laptop sales have steadily increased over the past few years, and the actual use of laptops has increased as well. They come in all shapes and sizes, are every bit as useful as a desktop system, and are more portable than a cell phone. As anybody with a recent laptop may have noticed, they are commonly being equipped with cameras built in to the screens.

Just as with any other imaging hardware, these cameras are becoming increasingly good, so good in fact, they threaten the DSLR market. They offer a direct line to the social media sites as it's built in to the laptop, and it offers surprisingly comfortable ergonomics: one can easily pan a scene by simply lifting the laptop up and moving it around. Need a nice screen to compose a shot? What's better than a 17" 1080p screen? Have that laptop with you at a photo shoot in order to get them shots to the client fast? Drop that useless DSLR and keep the laptop.

Many are pointing to the increased sales of laptops to explain the steep drop in ILC sales, specifically the DSLR segment. An increasing number of pros are turning to the laptop to get crucial photo shoots done right, it is only a matter of time before the DSLR goes the way of the dinosaur. Will you be left clinging to an aging technology, or will you be part of the new generation? Laptop cameras are "good enough" for what people need today, and the connectivity they offer allows us to share our photos on the fly. Recent reports also suggest some laptop manufacturers are designing new models to "look" like a DSLR in form. This will no doubt make the transition more comfortable for pros and amateurs alike.

In case you may ask, how do we know how many people are actually using laptop cameras, that's not important. What is important are bar graphs, so here are a few to end the post. Please offer comments and opinions.

 Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
nick101
Contributing MemberPosts: 673Gear list
Like?
Re: Laptops signal the demise of the DSLR/ILC
In reply to Ontario Gone, 10 months ago

I was very sceptical about your argument until I saw you had bar graphs. Now I am convinced you must be correct.

Please note: I haven't actually read the post, nor looked at what the bar graphs actually show- their presence is sufficient to prove whatever point it was that you made

 nick101's gear list:nick101's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bill Robb
Senior MemberPosts: 3,332
Like?
Re: Laptops signal the demise of the DSLR/ILC
In reply to nick101, 10 months ago

nick101 wrote:

I was very sceptical about your argument until I saw you had bar graphs. Now I am convinced you must be correct.

Please note: I haven't actually read the post, nor looked at what the bar graphs actually show- their presence is sufficient to prove whatever point it was that you made

He's taking two things that have no connection, tying them together with some straw, and making an argument. Not a bad job except for the premise itself isn't credible.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,335Gear list
Like?
Re: Laptops signal the demise of the DSLR/ILC
In reply to Ontario Gone, 10 months ago

With those impressive graphs I'll be putting my desktop Pc and my DSLR up for sale immediately! Don't want to be caught with those dinosaurs. Thank you for the heads up!

 Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,110Gear list
Like?
Re: Laptops signal the demise of the DSLR/ILC
In reply to Bill Robb, 10 months ago

Bill Robb wrote:

He's taking two things that have no connection, tying them together with some straw, and making an argument. Not a bad job except for the premise itself isn't credible.

Some day all cars will have not only a rear facing camera but also a forward facing camera. This will spell the end of carrying cameras for millions. Just drive and shoot.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RhysM
Senior MemberPosts: 1,707
Like?
Re: Laptops signal the demise of the DSLR/ILC
In reply to Ontario Gone, 10 months ago

I'm sure this is a joke the OP is playing, the part about laptops being made to look like DSLR's gave it away. Either that or he is possibly dpreview's dumbest member.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tresise
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
Re: Laptops signal the demise of the DSLR/ILC
In reply to Ontario Gone, 10 months ago

Ontario Gone wrote: Please offer comments and opinions.

You have too much time on your hands - there is enough rubbish in the different forums do you have to add to it?

 tresise's gear list:tresise's gear list
Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AndraM
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
Re: Laptops signal the demise of the DSLR/ILC
In reply to pavi1, 10 months ago

And it will give "Drive by shooting" an entirely new meaning.

 AndraM's gear list:AndraM's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AndraM
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
Re: Laptops signal the demise of the DSLR/ILC
In reply to RhysM, 10 months ago

I'm fairly certain it's all tongue-in-cheek, especially considering all the "the demise of DSLRs imminent and here's why" threads lately.

 AndraM's gear list:AndraM's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AndraM
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
Re: Laptops signal the demise of the DSLR/ILC
In reply to tresise, 10 months ago

Yes, we do, because it's all for fun. Sometimes discussions can get too serious and tedious. This one is a nice break from that.

 AndraM's gear list:AndraM's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
edispics
Senior MemberPosts: 1,475
Like?
How did you do that?
In reply to Ontario Gone, 10 months ago

How did you get your tongue firmly planted in both cheeks????

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
edispics
Senior MemberPosts: 1,475
Like?
Re: Laptops signal the demise of the DSLR/ILC
In reply to tresise, 10 months ago

Given all the self-stoking pontification that takes place on the forums, it is a refreshing relief to some clever humour.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 3,265Gear list
Like?
Re: How did you do that?
In reply to edispics, 10 months ago

edispics wrote:

How did you get your tongue firmly planted in both cheeks????

 Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
boardsy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,200Gear list
Like?
Re: Laptops signal the demise of the DSLR/ILC
In reply to Ontario Gone, 10 months ago

I want my camera in the traditional laptop shape, without a fake pentaprism, EVF eyecup, or bulbous DSLR shape. Like the good old days. 

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Alan
my Flickr

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gloaming
Contributing MemberPosts: 741
Like?
Re: Laptops signal the demise of the DSLR/ILC
In reply to Ontario Gone, 10 months ago

LOL!!!  I see your tongue firmly planted.  Good one.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jgitomer
Forum MemberPosts: 93Gear list
Like?
Re: Laptops signal the demise of the DSLR/ILC
In reply to Ontario Gone, 10 months ago

Very interesting, but what is the correlation between laptop sales and camera sales?

Without such data how are we to verify your hypothesis?

For example, there are some who claim that there is a direct correlation between the number of ordained ministers and alcoholism in the United States and that this has held true since colonial times.  Their hypothesis is that religion is the cause of alcoholism.

I am sure that many (most?) others would refute their hypothesis.

To change the tone of this reply there is one significant factor that you have failed to take into consideration.  The quality of the lens in the laptop doesn't begin to compare to that of even the most basic DSLR.

As a camera the laptop therefore is a poor alternative to the smartphone.  I say a poor alternative because it is bulkier, more expensive, and more difficult to use without any increase in the quality of the output.

Laptops and smartphones will displace the basic point and shoot camera used by the casual "snapshooter" who uses a camera to capture and retain memories.  Most of those users are not, and never have been, the market for DSLRs.

Jerry

 jgitomer's gear list:jgitomer's gear list
Nikon D600 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 3,265Gear list
Like?
Re: Laptops signal the demise of the DSLR/ILC
In reply to jgitomer, 10 months ago

jgitomer wrote:

Very interesting, but what is the correlation between laptop sales and camera sales?

Without such data how are we to verify your hypothesis?

For example, there are some who claim that there is a direct correlation between the number of ordained ministers and alcoholism in the United States and that this has held true since colonial times. Their hypothesis is that religion is the cause of alcoholism.

I am sure that many (most?) others would refute their hypothesis.

To change the tone of this reply there is one significant factor that you have failed to take into consideration. The quality of the lens in the laptop doesn't begin to compare to that of even the most basic DSLR.

As a camera the laptop therefore is a poor alternative to the smartphone. I say a poor alternative because it is bulkier, more expensive, and more difficult to use without any increase in the quality of the output.

Laptops and smartphones will displace the basic point and shoot camera used by the casual "snapshooter" who uses a camera to capture and retain memories. Most of those users are not, and never have been, the market for DSLRs.

Jerry

My graphs say otherwise 

 Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Greg A A
Contributing MemberPosts: 870
Like?
Re: Laptops signal the demise of the DSLR/ILC
In reply to Ontario Gone, 10 months ago

When they add the battery pack/grip and Nikon lens adapter it will be a real winner! It's would also be good for building arm strength for some of the more mature photographers. This could really put a dent in the mirror-less camera business.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Morris Sullivan
Senior MemberPosts: 4,645
Like?
Your full of it. Here's why.
In reply to Ontario Gone, 10 months ago

Ontario Gone wrote:

New data suggests that the dedicated camera has a new enemy. Laptop sales have steadily increased over the past few years, and the actual use of laptops has increased as well. They come in all shapes and sizes, are every bit as useful as a desktop system, and are more portable than a cell phone. As anybody with a recent laptop may have noticed, they are commonly being equipped with cameras built in to the screens.

Just as with any other imaging hardware, these cameras are becoming increasingly good, so good in fact, they threaten the DSLR market. They offer a direct line to the social media sites as it's built in to the laptop, and it offers surprisingly comfortable ergonomics: one can easily pan a scene by simply lifting the laptop up and moving it around. Need a nice screen to compose a shot? What's better than a 17" 1080p screen? Have that laptop with you at a photo shoot in order to get them shots to the client fast? Drop that useless DSLR and keep the laptop.

Many are pointing to the increased sales of laptops to explain the steep drop in ILC sales, specifically the DSLR segment. An increasing number of pros are turning to the laptop to get crucial photo shoots done right, it is only a matter of time before the DSLR goes the way of the dinosaur. Will you be left clinging to an aging technology, or will you be part of the new generation? Laptop cameras are "good enough" for what people need today, and the connectivity they offer allows us to share our photos on the fly. Recent reports also suggest some laptop manufacturers are designing new models to "look" like a DSLR in form. This will no doubt make the transition more comfortable for pros and amateurs alike.

In case you may ask, how do we know how many people are actually using laptop cameras, that's not important. What is important are bar graphs, so here are a few to end the post. Please offer comments and opinions.

I have graphs which state the exact opposite.

For Example:

And furthermore:

Stop spreading misinformation.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tresise
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
Re: How did you do that?
In reply to Ontario Gone, 10 months ago

Depends which set of cheeks you may be referring to

 tresise's gear list:tresise's gear list
Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads