From Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 to Sigma 35mm f/1.4 = worth the upgrade (on D7100) ?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
rexet
Junior MemberPosts: 29Gear list
Like?
From Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 to Sigma 35mm f/1.4 = worth the upgrade (on D7100) ?
4 months ago

Hi all,

I am quite happy with my D7100 with the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 prime lens and I'm thinking about selling the Nikkor to buy the incredible Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ART for even better result.

Do you think it is a good move?

rexet's gear list:rexet's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G
Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sapple
Regular MemberPosts: 391Gear list
Like?
Re: From Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 to Sigma 35mm f/1.4 = worth the upgrade (on D7100) ?
In reply to rexet, 4 months ago

I suppose it depends on what you are trying to do. Obviously the difference will be a little less depth of field and a little faster wide open. What type of pictures are you trying to take?

-- hide signature --

<a href="http://www.applenegative.com" target="_blank" title="www.applenegative.com" data-mce-href="http://www.applenegative.com">www.applenegative.com</a>

sapple's gear list:sapple's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BlueBomberTurbo
Contributing MemberPosts: 700Gear list
Like?

If you need the sharpness and 2/3 stop of extra light, definitely.  You won't find a sharper 35mm prime.

If you don't mind manual focus, the Samyang 35mm F/1.4 is very close in sharpness wide open for a fraction of the cost.

BlueBomberTurbo's gear list:BlueBomberTurbo's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
arrr
Regular MemberPosts: 382Gear list
Like?

Not for me. My Nikon 35mm f1.8 is good enough plus there are plenty of other things I want more.

arrr's gear list:arrr's gear list
Nikon D3200 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +7 more
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 19,699Gear list
Like?

You bet! Or even the new Sigma 18-35 - a most remarkable zoom. However, if all you ever print is 11" x 17" prints or smaller, why bother? (unless you are a heavy cropper)

Lately Sigma, and to a lesser degree Tamron, have been taking it to Nikon and Canon with their new pro series. Do you need the best glass out there?

-- hide signature --

--
Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +10 more
steven2874
Regular MemberPosts: 241
Like?

Since I  have both I wouldn't consider the Sigma unless you plan to shoot FX also. On the DX the Nikon is very light, compact and a fine performer. The Sigma is also $899 and I wouldn't consider it without the $59 dock because of future compatibility issues in the F-mount.

rexet
Like?
In reply to Steve Bingham, 4 months ago

I would like to "force" myself to use only the 35mm for a period of time. I want to learn how to make good use of my feet with only one lens and explore my creativity. My main shots are street (days and nights) and people (low light indoor).

Thank you BlueBomberTurbo for pointed out the Samyang. I didn't know this one and will definitively have a look at that lens.

Steve Bingham > you have a really good point here. I'm a little bit "obsessed" by always having the best gear. I find the Nikkor sharp and fast and I can't stop thinking: "I could have even sharper images with less depth of field! waouhh". I know this is a disease...

Thank you steven for you usefull feedback. I know I will upgrade to FX one day but not before a full year yet.

Sony RX100 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G
hoof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,685
Like?

Unless you have an FX camera, I'd get the Sigma 18-35 F/1.8 instead.  You won't notice the 2/3rds of a stop wider aperture that much, but you will notice being able to shoot 18mm and F/1.8!

From my informal tests, the Sigma 18-35mm F/1.8 is sharper and less hazy wide open at 35mm than my Nikon 35mm F/1.8, at least when shooting at about 6-9ft.  However, it's about 1/3rd of a stop darker than my 35mm, at least on my copy.  Not sure why, maybe because it has oodles of lens elements and glass/air surfaces vs the 35mm.  Not a huge deal.  Even it it's really an F/2, it's still a great lens, and has relegated my 35mm to situations where I don't want to deal with the Sigma's bulk.

For DX only, I'd choose the 18-35 over the 35 F/1.4 every time, unless I could afford both.

rexet
Like?
In reply to hoof, 4 months ago

The 18-35mm is really tempting but I'm a bit concerned about the size and weight for such a small range.

The Big One
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,360Gear list
Like?

rexet wrote:

The 18-35mm is really tempting but I'm a bit concerned about the size and weight for such a small range.

It is only marginally larger than the 35/1.4... both are much larger than the 35/1.8 Nikkor.

The Big One's gear list:The Big One's gear list
Nikon D60 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
Zenjitsuman
Regular MemberPosts: 442
Like?

Do curls with 20lbs every day for a month and you won't notice a pound and a half more weight.Nikon D7100 w/ batteries + Sigma zoom = 3.5 lbs.  I would not notice the difference between that and the Sigma 35mm f1.4 which is a big lens too.

I use a Joby Pro strap and the Joby wrist strap.  I only raise the camera to Eye level to shoot, if I were to take a movie I would use a tripod.  I'm a senior, and this kind of weight isn't a factor as much as the size of the kit is because of how big a bag one has to carry.  It would be worse if I had FF lenses.

I don't think there is anything to gain going from f1.8 to f1.4, if the slower lens is great wide open. Most f1.4 lenses need to be stopped down for great results and f1.8 will give you subject separation blur too.

Both lenses are costly, but bargains compared to Nikon.   Nikon 35mm f1.8 is a good value lens

and much smaller and lighter, you can get bye with it if your not a pixel peeper.  In addition you could pick up the macro lens or something else you need.  If you make money with your photography then I might spend the extra, but the gear is always better than the guy using it these days.

Steve Bingham
Like?

Excellent! I want to learn how to make good use of my feet with only one lens and explore my creativity

rexet wrote:

I would like to "force" myself to use only the 35mm for a period of time. I want to learn how to make good use of my feet with only one lens and explore my creativity. My main shots are street (days and nights) and people (low light indoor).

Thank you BlueBomberTurbo for pointed out the Samyang. I didn't know this one and will definitively have a look at that lens.

Steve Bingham > you have a really good point here. I'm a little bit "obsessed" by always having the best gear. I find the Nikkor sharp and fast and I can't stop thinking: "I could have even sharper images with less depth of field! waouhh". I know this is a disease...

Thank you steven for you usefull feedback. I know I will upgrade to FX one day but not before a full year yet.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +10 more
Steve Bingham
Like?
In reply to hoof, 4 months ago

Agreed - awesome: Sigma 18-35mm F/1.8

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

GlennW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,216Gear list
Like?
In reply to Steve Bingham, 4 months ago

Steve Bingham wrote:

Excellent! I want to learn how to make good use of my feet with only one lens and explore my creativity

You can save a lot of money and just learn to use the lens you already have. Turn off the computer and go shooting with it, every day.

Maybe what you need is a new black Rapid sling style strap. Go out shooting with just your camera, the 35 1.8 mounted on it, an extra battery with some memory cards. Nothing else.

-- hide signature --

I Shoot RAW

GlennW's gear list:GlennW's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +4 more
rexet
Like?
In reply to GlennW, 4 months ago

I already ordered a BlackRapid Sports few days ago (my brother bought it for me during is recent trip to NYC because it was way cheaper than buying it in Paris where I live).

All your comments are really helpfull, thank you very much. I guess I will wait a bit before switching to the Sigma 35mm. Maybe the 18-35mm is a better investment. Thank you.

Michel F
Senior MemberPosts: 1,748
Like?

rexet wrote:

Hi all,

I am quite happy with my D7100 with the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 prime lens and I'm thinking about selling the Nikkor to buy the incredible Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ART for even better result.

Do you think it is a good move?

If you are happy with your kit by all means keep it and save some money. Depending on what you use it for, the upgrade might or might not not be worth it.

I was never quite satisfied with the Nikon myself and I thought my old Sigma 30mm f/1.4 was better so I kept that one until I got to try the Sigma ART. I sold the Sigma 30mm and now use the 35mm Sigma. It's sharper throughout wide open than the 30mm and the bokeh is just as good. The Nikon and Sigma 30mm f/1.4 are much lighter and more compact and of course the Sigma ART is quite a bit more expensive.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads