5d III in camera editing not working

Started 4 months ago | Questions
SeaScout851
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,334
Like?
5d III in camera editing not working
4 months ago

I am a new 5d mark III owner moving up from a 7d.  I have set the camera up to place RAW on the CF card and jpg on the SD card.  This works well for me as I most always shoot jpg+RAW and then place the file types in separate folders.

I purchased the camera on Saturday Dec 7 and used it for an awards breakfast on Tuesday the 10th.  This went well as I had the camera basically set up like my 7d.  Later that evening my wife and I were playing around with the camera and tried out editing a full size RAW file.  Pretty nice although editing on a computer is still the better way to go.  I then used the computer to delete a few files from the SD card.  And since that time have not been able to get the editing to work in camera.

Note that if I set it up to record both the jpg and RAW on the same card I can edit in camera.  But not when set to separate cards as before.  I reformatted both cards hoping this would solve the problem but it does not.  I know there are a lot of settings but for the life of me I cannot find anything that would prevent the editing when splitting the jpg and RAW files.  Yes I am recording full size RAW files.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 2,761
Like?
Re: 5d III in camera editing not working
In reply to SeaScout851, 4 months ago

Andy,

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your in-camera editing question, because I never do that.

I do want to caution you about writing jpeg to the SD card, and RAW to the CF card.  As noted on the bottom of page 117 of your user manual, if you record separately, the maximum burst will decrease greatly.

It seems like a natural thing to want to do (especially if your SD card is an eye-fi card), but I avoid it for this reason alone.  Nothing worse than having the perfect moment and your camera locks up because the buffer is full.  This is a problem when shooting continuous for action, of course, but you can also run into it if you use AEB.

This slowdown occurs even if you are only storing small jpegs to the SD card.  To get around this speed problem, you are better off storing multiple (RAW + JPEG to both cards) if you are using eye-fi.

There are also some weirdness about recording separately and deleting files.  If you delete a JPEG on the SD card, it doesn't delete the associated RAW file on the CF card.  So, there is no link between the two.  This might be part of the issue with your in-camera editing, but don't know.

You also have to pay attention to which card is being used to record and playback as described on page 118.  This can be a source of confusion.

Enjoy your new 5D3!

-- hide signature --

- Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SeaScout851
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,334
Like?
Re: 5d III in camera editing not working
In reply to billythek, 4 months ago

billythek wrote:

Andy,

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your in-camera editing question, because I never do that.

I do want to caution you about writing jpeg to the SD card, and RAW to the CF card. As noted on the bottom of page 117 of your user manual, if you record separately, the maximum burst will decrease greatly.

It seems like a natural thing to want to do (especially if your SD card is an eye-fi card), but I avoid it for this reason alone. Nothing worse than having the perfect moment and your camera locks up because the buffer is full. This is a problem when shooting continuous for action, of course, but you can also run into it if you use AEB.

This slowdown occurs even if you are only storing small jpegs to the SD card. To get around this speed problem, you are better off storing multiple (RAW + JPEG to both cards) if you are using eye-fi.

There are also some weirdness about recording separately and deleting files. If you delete a JPEG on the SD card, it doesn't delete the associated RAW file on the CF card. So, there is no link between the two. This might be part of the issue with your in-camera editing, but don't know.

You also have to pay attention to which card is being used to record and playback as described on page 118. This can be a source of confusion.

Enjoy your new 5D3!

-- hide signature --

- Bill

Hey Bill,

I looked at my current set up splitting RAW and jpg I see a max burst of 7. 
I then set the camera to auto transfer and the burst stayed at 7.
Full size RAW only is currently giving 13.
Mid RAW is only giving 8.  ????
full size jpg only is giving 57.

Clearly I've got something set that's taking a lot of processing time.  I've have to look into that as time allows.

Thanks

Andy
l

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 2,761
Like?
Re: 5d III in camera editing not working
In reply to SeaScout851, 4 months ago

SeaScout851 wrote:

billythek wrote:

Andy,

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your in-camera editing question, because I never do that.

I do want to caution you about writing jpeg to the SD card, and RAW to the CF card. As noted on the bottom of page 117 of your user manual, if you record separately, the maximum burst will decrease greatly.

It seems like a natural thing to want to do (especially if your SD card is an eye-fi card), but I avoid it for this reason alone. Nothing worse than having the perfect moment and your camera locks up because the buffer is full. This is a problem when shooting continuous for action, of course, but you can also run into it if you use AEB.

This slowdown occurs even if you are only storing small jpegs to the SD card. To get around this speed problem, you are better off storing multiple (RAW + JPEG to both cards) if you are using eye-fi.

There are also some weirdness about recording separately and deleting files. If you delete a JPEG on the SD card, it doesn't delete the associated RAW file on the CF card. So, there is no link between the two. This might be part of the issue with your in-camera editing, but don't know.

You also have to pay attention to which card is being used to record and playback as described on page 118. This can be a source of confusion.

Enjoy your new 5D3!

-- hide signature --

- Bill

Hey Bill,

I looked at my current set up splitting RAW and jpg I see a max burst of 7.
I then set the camera to auto transfer and the burst stayed at 7.
Full size RAW only is currently giving 13.
Mid RAW is only giving 8. ????
full size jpg only is giving 57.

Clearly I've got something set that's taking a lot of processing time. I've have to look into that as time allows.

Thanks

Andy
l

Try removing the SD card.

I have gone to just recording RAW only, on CF cards.  I will transfer files to SD cards at the end of the day for storage while on a trip, but otherwise don't use the SD card much anymore, just because of this speed issue.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SeaScout851
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,334
Like?
Re: 5d III in camera editing not working
In reply to billythek, 4 months ago

billythek wrote:

SeaScout851 wrote:

billythek wrote:

Andy,

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your in-camera editing question, because I never do that.

I do want to caution you about writing jpeg to the SD card, and RAW to the CF card. As noted on the bottom of page 117 of your user manual, if you record separately, the maximum burst will decrease greatly.

It seems like a natural thing to want to do (especially if your SD card is an eye-fi card), but I avoid it for this reason alone. Nothing worse than having the perfect moment and your camera locks up because the buffer is full. This is a problem when shooting continuous for action, of course, but you can also run into it if you use AEB.

This slowdown occurs even if you are only storing small jpegs to the SD card. To get around this speed problem, you are better off storing multiple (RAW + JPEG to both cards) if you are using eye-fi.

There are also some weirdness about recording separately and deleting files. If you delete a JPEG on the SD card, it doesn't delete the associated RAW file on the CF card. So, there is no link between the two. This might be part of the issue with your in-camera editing, but don't know.

You also have to pay attention to which card is being used to record and playback as described on page 118. This can be a source of confusion.

Enjoy your new 5D3!

-- hide signature --

- Bill

Hey Bill,

I looked at my current set up splitting RAW and jpg I see a max burst of 7.
I then set the camera to auto transfer and the burst stayed at 7.
Full size RAW only is currently giving 13.
Mid RAW is only giving 8. ????
full size jpg only is giving 57.

Clearly I've got something set that's taking a lot of processing time. I've have to look into that as time allows.

Thanks

Andy
l

Try removing the SD card.

I have gone to just recording RAW only, on CF cards. I will transfer files to SD cards at the end of the day for storage while on a trip, but otherwise don't use the SD card much anymore, just because of this speed issue.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

Tried removing the SD card and changed setting to match but with no change to the max burst.  I've got to have something set that chewing up my processor.  I'll hopefully get to look at this at lunch time today or this evening.

Thanks

Andy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fog Maker
Contributing MemberPosts: 990
Like?
Re: 5d III in camera editing not working
In reply to billythek, 4 months ago

billythek wrote:

Andy,

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your in-camera editing question, because I never do that.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

I don't even have a clue how that particular menu item looks like,

since I never checked it. Maybe next year...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SeaScout851
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,334
Like?
Got it working again
In reply to SeaScout851, 4 months ago

Problem is I don't know what I did.  I have several things turned on such as Lens aberration correction and Auto Lighting Optimizer.  I was trying turning things on and off to see what difference it makes to the max burst buffer.  Basically with RAW+jpg I still have a max burst buffer of 7 images.  But something reset the camera such that the in camera editing is again active with RAW going to the CF card and jpg to the SD card.

Now if I can just figure out what I've got on that's chewing up the memory and reducing my burst buffer. 

Thanks

Andy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SeaScout851
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,334
Like?
Re: Got it working again
In reply to SeaScout851, 4 months ago

SeaScout851 wrote:

Problem is I don't know what I did. I have several things turned on such as Lens aberration correction and Auto Lighting Optimizer. I was trying turning things on and off to see what difference it makes to the max burst buffer. Basically with RAW+jpg I still have a max burst buffer of 7 images. But something reset the camera such that the in camera editing is again active with RAW going to the CF card and jpg to the SD card.

Now if I can just figure out what I've got on that's chewing up the memory and reducing my burst buffer.

Thanks

Andy

It's lunch time and I downloaded the manual.  Page 123.  Looks like my burst buffer is just where it should be.  Guess I'm accustomed to the 7d and it's much bigger burst buffer.  

But I must say I'm really impressed with this camera!!!

Andy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads