Winter postcard Vs some patterns

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 2,364Gear list
Like?
Winter postcard Vs some patterns
10 months ago

After a night of snow I stopped beside the highway (522) to grab this postcard:

After a good snowfall there are many locations like the above in my neighbourhood. Shot a few hundred of them last winter while learning to shoot RAW.

Compared with ....

1. These bubbles floating down the stream:

An extension to the above is to try to find some bubbles in very slow moving water (to get up close and personal)

2. These delicate shadows on the snow ...

Starting to notice the detailed snow/light/shadow interactions.  Challenging to capture the delicate variations in tone and colour (at times), while still providing for the speculars.

I think that I am going through some sort of stage, increasingly bored with "postcard" pix.  Looking for different stuff on my outings this winter.

Any advice? (besides taking up a different hobby! )

Tom

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
yyr
yyr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,822
Like?
Re: Winter postcard Vs some patterns
In reply to GeorgianBay1939, 10 months ago

Your landscapes are aleays lovely. Try processing them differently to develop an alternative style (as well as not instead of)  Maybe B&W which can be very effective for winter landscapes? Nik Silver Efex is fun and let's you do selective colourisation and so on.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
GeorgianBay1939
Like?
In reply to yyr, 10 months ago

yyr wrote:

Your landscapes are aleays lovely. Try processing them differently to develop an alternative style (as well as not instead of) Maybe B&W which can be very effective for winter landscapes? Nik Silver Efex is fun and let's you do selective colourisation and so on.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle

Thank you for your very generous comment!

Good idea about processing images to develop alternative styles. You have a good range of subjects in your galleries.   I could learn from that by "stretching" my eyes.

Thank you!!

Up until now I have focused (!) on trying to get a "representative" image of what I saw.  Playing with other approaches might do two things:

Obtain some "new" photographic "look" from the existing exposures and,

Educate my eyes to look for more "art' in the scene.  (whatever THAT means to others, as I believe that is a very personal value.)  (Good old Browning's  Andrea del Sarto !)

I don't have Nik Silver Efex (in spite of a good friend's fine use of that software) so I might cave in and get it.

Here is an example of his work:

I don't know if he shot this with his D700 or his EM-5. We call these thing ice-shrooms, caused by the lake/reservoir freezing over in December and stranding the ice(cap) as the water level drops in February.

He is a retired architect who shoots A LOT of B&W and has been encouraging me to do the same.   Maybe that would be a good discipline to develop during the flat light that we experience during our (long) winters.Here are a couple of shots that I find intriguing.  Probably good candidates for Silver Efex.  Shot a week or so ago, while standing on the top of a culvert with my long lens fully and partially extended:

COLD!!!!

Bubbles caught up in the roiling surface water currents (with all of their surface reflectivity or is it reflectance?).

We are experiencing a heavy snowfall again today, half a metre over the last 24 hrs.  When it stops I'll fire up my (very necessary, almost essential) backhoe/loader* to rearrange some snowflakes in my long driveway.  Some sunshine is forecast for tomorrow so I try some B&W stuff ... more "intense" imagery .... as opposed to "postcard" stuff.

*backhoe/loaders , tractors, etc are something like cameras, lenses, fine wine, good Scotch Whisky and/or Guyanese Rum, good company and music.  They are all essential to the proper enjoyment of life!  

Many thanks for your response!

t

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
yyr
yyr
Like?

That's a very impressive ice-shrooms and a good example I think.

If you want to get Silver Efex you will have to buy the whole suite of NIK  software. There is no longer an option for buying individual packages. However, I think the price is quite reasonable and the various packages will keep you amused through the worst of the winter. NIK have some reasonable starter tutorials on Youtube.

Be aware that if you shoot raw (even if you set the film mode to B&W) you will  get a colour RAW in LR even though you see B&W in the camera (not sure about other converters but I assume the same). If you shoot RAW + JPG you will get a coloured RAW and B&W JPG. I always shoot colour and convert afterwards.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle

jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,193Gear list
Like?
Patterns....

Funny you should post this today; I was at a waterway yesterday and there was this intricate large crystalline ice pattern at the edge of the water, kind of growing out from the shore, so I got a couple of shots of it.  It's pretty neat.

-J

FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,280Gear list
Like?
Re: Patterns....
In reply to jalywol, 10 months ago

It is neat.

F.

-- hide signature --

When no-one else is there, the camera becomes my means...to say to a wider audience, "Did you see that?" David duChemin

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,280Gear list
Like?

Nothing wrong with post cards - in fact I like this one - and envy your opportunity to take this kind of scene - but I sense you want some variety to experiment with. Shooting patterns is fun.  Enjoy!

F.

-- hide signature --

When no-one else is there, the camera becomes my means...to say to a wider audience, "Did you see that?" David duChemin

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Jim Salvas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,928Gear list
Like?
Keep Looking

Postcards are fun. So are patterns. So is just simply saying "look what I saw:"

Branches

Taken with my new Olympus PM2.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,894Gear list
Like?

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

After a good snowfall there are many locations like the above in my neighbourhood. Shot a few hundred of them last winter while learning to shoot RAW.

Compared with ....

For postcard you need something puncher, with Oly like colors

An extension to the above is to try to find some bubbles in very slow moving water (to get up close and personal)

Bubbles are great for wallpaper, maybe you want to invert colors

Starting to notice the detailed snow/light/shadow interactions. Challenging to capture the delicate variations

These subtle veins not necessarily to be snow. I have a limited fantasy, and maybe this is good for wallpaper too...

in tone and colour (at times), while still providing for the speculars.

I think that I am going through some sort of stage, increasingly bored with "postcard" pix. Looking for different stuff on my outings this winter.

Tom

Cheers

S.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
s_grins
Like?

-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
GeorgianBay1939
Like?
In reply to yyr, 10 months ago

yyr wrote:

That's a very impressive ice-shrooms and a good example I think.

If you want to get Silver Efex you will have to buy the whole suite of NIK software. There is no longer an option for buying individual packages. However, I think the price is quite reasonable and the various packages will keep you amused through the worst of the winter. NIK have some reasonable starter tutorials on Youtube.

Be aware that if you shoot raw (even if you set the film mode to B&W) you will get a colour RAW in LR even though you see B&W in the camera (not sure about other converters but I assume the same). If you shoot RAW + JPG you will get a coloured RAW and B&W JPG. I always shoot colour and convert afterwards.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle

I have'nt  shot B&W  ---- only colour  (usually neutral, RAW) and convert any that I wish to to B&W in Lightroom.  I see no advantage in shooting B&W unless I want to save some memory, I guess, if I were to shoot JPEGs ooc.  Maybe I could get a better idea of what I was capturing in the post exposure review in the EVF/LCD.   But I think that I can do that better at home in front of my computer than out in the field.

Am I losing anything by opting to shoot colour and converting to B&W later?

I will look at NIK.   Thanks.

t

GeorgianBay1939
Like?
Re: Patterns....
In reply to jalywol, 10 months ago

jalywol wrote:

Funny you should post this today; I was at a waterway yesterday and there was this intricate large crystalline ice pattern at the edge of the water, kind of growing out from the shore, so I got a couple of shots of it. It's pretty neat.

-J

Nice!   I have never seen that type of crystalline structure in ice before.

I went to Kenneth G. Libbrecht's outstanding website about snowcrystals:

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/falling/falling.htm

and suspect that your (monoclinic ?) crystals formed at around -5ºC.  (about half way down the page)

Last February I found these interesting phenomena where a channel had opened near shore at a local lake, allowing hoar frost to form...

Several crystalline varieties of ice.

Like yours, it is best to look at these images full size.

Lotsa fun!

T

GeorgianBay1939
Like?
In reply to FrankS009, 10 months ago

FrankS009 wrote:

Nothing wrong with post cards - in fact I like this one - and envy your opportunity to take this kind of scene - but I sense you want some variety to experiment with. Shooting patterns is fun. Enjoy!

F.

-- hide signature --

Thanks, Frank.

I might stop in at the lake where I got the crystals above on my way to Parry Sound this morning.

t

GeorgianBay1939
Like?
Re: Keep Looking
In reply to Jim Salvas, 10 months ago

Jim Salvas wrote:

Postcards are fun. So are patterns. So is just simply saying "look what I saw:"

Branches

Taken with my new Olympus PM2.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Beauty!  Thanks!

t

GeorgianBay1939
Like?
In reply to s_grins, 10 months ago

s_grins wrote:

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Compared with ....

For postcard you need something puncher, with Oly like colors

Hmmmm.  Personal preference, I guess.

I have a friend who sells a huge no of prints.   A great commercial photographer who over-saturates, under-illuminates, over-micro-contrasts everything.  He says that he started doing that when he examined magazine covers on magazine racks and realized that cranking it up had competitive appeal.

And I agree with you that postcards that are seen on racks are brutal!!!

Not being commercial, I don't have to do that to my images.   I can leave it representative, sorta.

Here is one taken at the same place last February ... a little  spicier, probably could be warmed up a few degrees, though....

Feb, 2013, learning how to shoot RAW.   One of a batch to prove to myself that HDR (Photomatix) was worth the effort.  ( Yes, if the luminance range is SO large that it can't be adjusted in Lightroom.)

Bubbles are great for wallpaper, maybe you want to invert colors

I don't know how to do that.   Photoshop??   The only software I use is Lightroom and Photomatix (rarely).  I recall that you use Silky Pix.

Starting to notice the detailed snow/light/shadow interactions. Challenging to capture the delicate variations

These subtle veins not necessarily to be snow. I have a limited fantasy, and maybe this is good for wallpaper too...

Yes, it is very subtle!!

I think that I am going through some sort of stage, increasingly bored with "postcard" pix. Looking for different stuff on my outings this winter.

Tom

Cheers

S.

-- hide signature --

All good stuff, eh?

t

GeorgianBay1939
Like?

s_grins wrote:

-- hide signature --

I see the 4 tiles.  Thanks.  Maybe I can do that sort of thing in Photoshop Elements 10, (which I very rarely use!)

Interesting effect.

Thanks

tom

s_grins
Like?

Tom,

I do not pretend to be something...maybe I'm nothing but old jerk. You may chose another way to use the shot when it means something to you, to your eyes.

In my case I use free Photoscape software to combine several shots, but you may find something different.

Best

S.

-- hide signature --

GeorgianBay1939
Like?

s_grins wrote:

Tom,

I do not pretend to be something...maybe I'm nothing but old jerk. You may chose another way to use the shot when it means something to you, to your eyes.

In my case I use free Photoscape software to combine several shots, but you may find something different.

Best

S.

-- hide signature --

Thanks Simon,

Went for a bit of a drive today and re-took this pic of a neat silo.   Unfortunately the ponies who live there were bundled up in the barn.  It is another Postcard-Type image.   Not that it is processed as a postcard, but it has that "look".   I quite like it.

Cheers,

tom

s_grins
Like?

Thanks Tom,

I guess that you feel winter in a cheerful way. I'm not as optimistic as you are. This my old winter shot

Cheers

S.

-- hide signature --

yyr
yyr
Like?

Am I losing anything by opting to shoot colour and converting to B&W later?

No - the opposite.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads