Smoking isn't good for you...

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
doto41
Forum ProPosts: 10,661
Like?
Smoking isn't good for you...
4 months ago

Who cares!

I really liked the socks

AS always... original size...

-- hide signature --

Dov
LX5, FZ8, FZ50, minolta 0, raynox 250, oly c-180, oly b-300 (and hoping for more :))
My Flickr

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Lechero
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,000
Like?
Re: Smoking isn't good for you...
In reply to doto41, 4 months ago

doto41 wrote:

Who cares!

I really liked the socks

AS always... original size...

-- hide signature --

Dov
LX5, FZ8, FZ50, minolta 0, raynox 250, oly c-180, oly b-300 (and hoping for more :))
My Flickr

Both are excellent, my choice is the b&w.

Best

Eduardo

¿beautiful Amsterdam?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PSCL1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,477Gear list
Like?
Re: Smoking isn't good for you...
In reply to Lechero, 4 months ago

I vastly prefer the B&W image because (1) subjects are not self-conscious, (2) the separation and contrast between foreground people and bench vs. background buildings are striking and effective, and (3) the hazy background in the B&W echoes the 'smoke' theme of the human activity.  Although the socks are cute in the color shot, the people look angry because their picture has been taken.     Personally, I've never had a positive reaction to depiction of that very typical angry reaction.

 PSCL1's gear list:PSCL1's gear list
Leica X1 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
l_objectif
Forum ProPosts: 16,944Gear list
Like?
Re: Smoking isn't good for you...
In reply to doto41, 4 months ago

Dov, despite the color socks, I very much like your B/W version not only because of the nice tonality, but also because we can see them in their own world!

Best,

 l_objectif's gear list:l_objectif's gear list
Leica D-LUX 5 Nikon D300
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Edward48
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,987
Like?
Re: Smoking isn't good for you...
In reply to doto41, 4 months ago

...Looks like it almost wasn't good for you either Dov!

Impressive close up work. I can feel the vibe coming from those two in the second shot.

Very best
Mike

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
doto41
Forum ProPosts: 10,661
Like?
Thanks Eduardo
In reply to Lechero, 4 months ago

Lechero wrote:

doto41 wrote:

Who cares!

I really liked the socks

AS always... original size...

-- hide signature --

Dov
LX5, FZ8, FZ50, minolta 0, raynox 250, oly c-180, oly b-300 (and hoping for more :))
My Flickr

Both are excellent, my choice is the b&w.

Best

Eduardo

¿beautiful Amsterdam?

You are right, it is Amsterdam, always nice to hear your opinion.

-- hide signature --

Dov
LX5, FZ8, FZ50, minolta 0, raynox 250, oly c-180, oly b-300 (and hoping for more :))
My Flickr

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
doto41
Forum ProPosts: 10,661
Like?
Thanks PSCL1
In reply to PSCL1, 4 months ago

PSCL1 wrote:

I vastly prefer the B&W image because (1) subjects are not self-conscious, (2) the separation and contrast between foreground people and bench vs. background buildings are striking and effective, and (3) the hazy background in the B&W echoes the 'smoke' theme of the human activity. Although the socks are cute in the color shot, the people look angry because their picture has been taken. Personally, I've never had a positive reaction to depiction of that very typical angry reaction.

for your informative and thoughtful comment, appreciate it a lot.

-- hide signature --

Dov
LX5, FZ8, FZ50, minolta 0, raynox 250, oly c-180, oly b-300 (and hoping for more :))
My Flickr

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
doto41
Forum ProPosts: 10,661
Like?
Thanks Louis
In reply to l_objectif, 4 months ago

l_objectif wrote:

Dov, despite the color socks, I very much like your B/W version not only because of the nice tonality, but also because we can see them in their own world!

Best,

You are right, I overstayed my welcome a little, but I liked their expressions too

-- hide signature --

Dov
LX5, FZ8, FZ50, minolta 0, raynox 250, oly c-180, oly b-300 (and hoping for more :))
My Flickr

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bosjohn
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,890
Like?
Re: Smoking isn't good for you...
In reply to doto41, 4 months ago

I find your first image quite powerful and very well done thanks for showing it

-- hide signature --

bosjohn aka John Shick bosjohn@yahoo.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
doto41
Forum ProPosts: 10,661
Like?
Thanks Mke
In reply to Edward48, 4 months ago

Edward48 wrote:

...Looks like it almost wasn't good for you either Dov!

Impressive close up work. I can feel the vibe coming from those two in the second shot.

Very best
Mike

I've been in tougher spots before Close up work has a certain adrenalin quality that adds a lot to it.

best wishes

-- hide signature --

Dov
LX5, FZ8, FZ50, minolta 0, raynox 250, oly c-180, oly b-300 (and hoping for more :))
My Flickr

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
doto41
Forum ProPosts: 10,661
Like?
Thanks John
In reply to bosjohn, 4 months ago

bosjohn wrote:

I find your first image quite powerful and very well done thanks for showing it

-- hide signature --

bosjohn aka John Shick bosjohn@yahoo.com

Your kind and thoughtful comments are always appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Dov
LX5, FZ8, FZ50, minolta 0, raynox 250, oly c-180, oly b-300 (and hoping for more :))
My Flickr

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
manny123
Regular MemberPosts: 392
Like?
Re: Thanks John
In reply to doto41, 4 months ago

Each has it's merits. The first is a wonderful shot, a slice of life. In the second the socks and the matching colours of both of their clothes, plus their expression make it special.

Cheers

Manny

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
doto41
Forum ProPosts: 10,661
Like?
Thanks Manny
In reply to manny123, 4 months ago

manny123 wrote:

Each has it's merits. The first is a wonderful shot, a slice of life. In the second the socks and the matching colours of both of their clothes, plus their expression make it special.

Cheers

Manny

For your opinion and comment, glad they didn't scare you

-- hide signature --

Dov
LX5, FZ8, FZ50, minolta 0, raynox 250, oly c-180, oly b-300 (and hoping for more :))
My Flickr

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
andimac
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
Re: Smoking isn't good for you...
In reply to doto41, 4 months ago

agree ... nice photo, congrats !

(sorry, no Leica photo, but you know the saying: "the best camera is the camera you have with you")

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads