Hiking/Traveling with E-M5 - Recommended Ball Head?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
RossN
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Hiking/Traveling with E-M5 - Recommended Ball Head?
8 months ago

I'm looking for some advice regarding selecting a respectably lightweight ball head oriented for hiking and travel. Something that is pretty high quality, but it doesn't have to be the 'ultimate' or 'best ever', per-se.

I'm shooting with an E-M5, using a variety of lenses... the Panasonic 12-35 is the heaviest/longest lens I have now is, though I could look at something like the Panasonic 100-300 in the future.

Feature-wise, I think I'm headed towards something that uses a Arca Swiss type mount. I'm also, not sure if there are implications, but panoramas and night photography (star trails/image stacking) may be some of the uses.

Any specific or general recommendations for ball heads and mounting plates that meet my needs would be appreciated.

Cheers!
Ross

Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,094Gear list
Like?
RSS BH-25 or BH-30
In reply to RossN, 8 months ago

RossN wrote:

I'm looking for some advice regarding selecting a respectably lightweight ball head oriented for hiking and travel. Something that is pretty high quality, but it doesn't have to be the 'ultimate' or 'best ever', per-se.

I'm shooting with an E-M5, using a variety of lenses... the Panasonic 12-35 is the heaviest/longest lens I have now is, though I could look at something like the Panasonic 100-300 in the future.

Feature-wise, I think I'm headed towards something that uses a Arca Swiss type mount. I'm also, not sure if there are implications, but panoramas and night photography (star trails/image stacking) may be some of the uses.

Any specific or general recommendations for ball heads and mounting plates that meet my needs would be appreciated.

I've mainly been using a Really Right Stuff BH-25 ultra light (with small Pro clamp) ball head for the past 2-3 years, though I also have a BH-40 and BH-30 for a longer period. The RRS heads are compact and light, and have not degraded at all over time (despite my handling of them).

I use it for everything from feeder bird studies to panoramics. For the latter, a RRS panning clamp is attached to the ball head clamp for a single row horizontal sweep (makes for a quick setup and execution). I'd use a larger head with a more elaborate rig for multi-row panos (but I haven't done those in years).

The BH-30 is a little larger, and has a panning feature that the BH-20 doesn't have, if that matters to you. I dismissed that, as the tripod has to be perfectly leveled, then the head clamp has to be perfectly leveled, and getting them precisely set I personally found to be too bothersome. Using a panning clamp all that has to be leveled is the panning clamp itself. YMMV on this. The trade off for the ease of set up is having to carry a bit more weight (in the form of the panning clamp). Not all that significant, but in a heavy bag every ounce counts.

This shows the E-PL3 mounted.   I'm still using it with the E-M5 and E-M1 with satisfaction.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sbruno
Contributing MemberPosts: 856
Like?
Re: Hiking/Traveling with E-M5 - Recommended Ball Head?

When I initially switched to m43 last year I offloaded my heavy duty FX-equiped tripod and ball head for an Arcatech Ultimate and a nice set of CF legs. I couldn't be happier with the Archatech. It's lightweight - somewhat minimalist - and super strong. I'm actually now back with FX as my primary set up and it still works fine (I don't use super-tele's on it anymore, though).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/327811-REG/Acratech_1115_Ultimate_Ballhead_w_Quick.html

Steve

Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 4,051Gear list
Like?
Re: RSS BH-25 or BH-30
In reply to Bob Tullis, 8 months ago

Bob Tullis wrote:

The BH-30 is a little larger, and has a panning feature that the BH-20 doesn't have, if that matters to you. I dismissed that, as the tripod has to be perfectly leveled, then the head clamp has to be perfectly leveled, and getting them precisely set I personally found to be too bothersome. Using a panning clamp all that has to be leveled is the panning clamp itself. YMMV on this. The trade off for the ease of set up is having to carry a bit more weight (in the form of the panning clamp). Not all that significant, but in a heavy bag every ounce counts.

RossN

I have the BH-30, as well. Keep in mind that I'm fairly new to all this... I have experienced occaisonal difficulty when clamping it down. It needs to be in a position when it doesn't get stopped by the part where the camera rests. When this happens I find that the panning feature of the BH-30 allows me to move the assembly to a position where it is no longer restricted.

I don't really use the panning feature for panning and for all I know I wouldn't experience the problem I described if I had the BH-25.

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
alan49
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?
In reply to sbruno, 8 months ago

One the few piece of equipment i bought only once: an arcaswiss P0.

100% happy with it .

alan49's gear list:alan49's gear list
Nikon 1 AW1
2manydjs
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?

A few years back I attended a presentation by David H. Wells and he recommended this little table tripod for travel photography. On this recommendation I bought one and am very pleased with it for my smaller cameras.  Obviously for travel photography I don't actually use it on top of a table, instead I try to find any object, and the ball head allows me to frame easily.

It might not be the kind of ball head you had in mind when asking the question, but I still wanted to share it with you as I really appreciated David Well's recommendation.  It's small enough to bring anywhere and not even notice you are carrying it in your bag.  On top, it gave me the ability to think of some less-likely angles for my shots.

Manfrotto 709B Table Tripod

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-709B-Table-Tripod-Black/dp/B0000YD2JC

2manydjs's gear list:2manydjs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
Buzz_A
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
In reply to 2manydjs, 8 months ago

2manydjs wrote:

A few years back I attended a presentation by David H. Wells and he recommended this little table tripod for travel photography. On this recommendation I bought one and am very pleased with it for my smaller cameras. Obviously for travel photography I don't actually use it on top of a table, instead I try to find any object, and the ball head allows me to frame easily.

It might not be the kind of ball head you had in mind when asking the question, but I still wanted to share it with you as I really appreciated David Well's recommendation. It's small enough to bring anywhere and not even notice you are carrying it in your bag. On top, it gave me the ability to think of some less-likely angles for my shots.

Manfrotto 709B Table Tripod

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-709B-Table-Tripod-Black/dp/B0000YD2JC

I use the Pedco UltraPod II for similar reasons, and think it's a major upgrade over the style Manfrotto uses. It can be strapped to all sorts of things with the included velcro strap, a tree, a guard rail, etc. It is also a bit more robust. Mine travels everywhere with me.

When hiking it can strap to my walking stick to become a monopod, or if more stability is required I can normally find a tree branch.

http://www.amazon.com/Pedco-UltraPod-Lightweight-Camera-Tripod/dp/B000ANCPNM/ref=pd_cp_p_0

Buzz

Buzz_A's gear list:Buzz_A's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
uberzone
Regular MemberPosts: 216Gear list
Like?
Acratech GPS Ballhead

I have the Acratech GPS ballhead. It is insanely versatile and I got it specifically with hiking/traveling in mind. It is built like a tank and has so many functions. Not only is it a ballhead, but it can function as a gimble head with the cutout on the side. Also you can remove the top clamp and mount the whole ball head upside down (reattaching the clamp to the bottom) and it acts like a panorama head. Also with the open design of the ball you never have to worry about sand or dirt jamming it up.

The only drawback (and this is very minor) is that when you tighten it down it will shift very slightly horizontally. Other than that, this thing is perfect. I will never give it up.

uberzone's gear list:uberzone's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +4 more
Bob Tullis
Like?
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 8 months ago

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

RossN

I have the BH-30, as well. Keep in mind that I'm fairly new to all this... I have experienced occaisonal difficulty when clamping it down. It needs to be in a position when it doesn't get stopped by the part where the camera rests. When this happens I find that the panning feature of the BH-30 allows me to move the assembly to a position where it is no longer restricted.

Can you take a quick shot of what you mean?  I can't picture what you're describing (I'm thinking it's related to the lever release style clamp, but still not sure).

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
lnikj
Regular MemberPosts: 188Gear list
Like?

I've had a Markins Q3 Emille on a Gitzo 1530 for about 7 years now. Heavily used including a six month trip across Asia with a D80 at the time.

Although it seemed very solid, I never wholly trusted it with my D300+ Sigma 100-300/4 +TC on it, a very heavy combo, but it will be rock solid for my E-M1 and forthcoming 75-300 once I get my hands on an arca-swiss plate for it.

You could probably go slightly lighter but I cannot recommend more highly the Markins - it is as smooth moving but firm when locked down as the day I bought it.

lnikj's gear list:lnikj's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1
boxerman
Contributing MemberPosts: 627Gear list
Like?

Here's one way to go. It's a magnetic mount (rather than plate mounted), so it's very quick to mount/unmount and quite secure, even if you don't use the (optional) mechanical lock. Nothing fancy about it in terms of the ball action. If you need smooth panning, this is not it.

Trek-tech ball head

I've been using it with my E-M5 (w/ 75-300) very successfully, mostly on safari. I originally became acquainted with this ball head on a convertible tripod/monopod that I took on our first safari.

Trek-tech Go Pro

The tripod form is not hugely stable, but oh so convenient, in a pinch. I've used it for night photography (time lapse, star trails) just fine. I do panoramas by hand, so I can't comment on that. It also breaks down to a size that'll fit official regulations for those small bush planes. Very handy case. It's rugged, so serves as a walking stick on hikes--better than stashing it away in a case or backpack.

On our most recent safari, I used a nice, light Gitzo monopod with the Trek-tech ball head. Served wonderfully. We kept the small magnet mount on each of our two cameras, so could switch on/off monopod or mono/tripod instantly, with no fuss.

-- hide signature --

The BoxerMan

boxerman's gear list:boxerman's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +1 more
Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,029
Like?

Hi Ross,

There are myriad options, as the E-M5 is a fairly small camera, at least with the smaller system lenses. Get into the larger lenses and there are balance issues that imply the need for more-robust support. I have a Linhof 01 and an Acratech GV2. The GV2 is more versatile and quicker to use, but a little less compact and portable than the Linhof. The Linhof and a tabletop-height tripod are a good backpacking combination--compact, strong and relatively light.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

Like?

Bob Tullis wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

RossN

Can you take a quick shot of what you mean? I can't picture what you're describing (I'm thinking it's related to the lever release style clamp, but still not sure).

I run into the situation below somewhat regularly. The E-M1 is pointed slightly up and the Ball Head is not really locked because I can't tighten it far enough. Therefore, I have to lower it and loosen the panning knob and turn it so that when I try to lock it this interference does not exist. Then I have to recompose.

Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Bob Tullis
Like?
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 8 months ago

I run into the situation below somewhat regularly. The E-M1 is pointed slightly up and the Ball Head is not really locked because I can't tighten it far enough. Therefore, I have to lower it and loosen the panning knob and turn it so that when I try to lock it this interference does not exist. Then I have to recompose.

You can pull the locking lever out (away from base) and reposition it so it can lock w/o the clamp interfering (before or during the process of setting the composition and locking it in place).   But knowing your equipment, in due time you'll open and orient the tripod as to avoid this potential (using the groove on the column as a guide).   I have a habit to do this, but when I get lazy (forgetting for the moment why I have that habit). . . it's just operator error, as operators will err.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Like?

Bob Tullis wrote:

You can pull the locking lever out (away from base) and reposition it so it can lock w/o the clamp interfering

So you can! Thanks. The will eliminate considerable aggravation.

But knowing your equipment, in due time you'll open and orient the tripod as to avoid this potential

I've gotten better. It happens most often when I change from my original composition or when my original composition moves.

nevada5
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,465Gear list
Like?
Slik SBH-280

I've had mine for over 10 years and it's never failed to work like it should.  Slik SBH-280

Slik makes several others, some cheaper with a lesser maximum load. Slik Ballheads  I use 3 different sets of Slik tripod legs and I've been very pleased with them.

-- hide signature --

Life is short - drive a convertible.
Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society. Aristotle

maljo@inreach.com
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,583
Like?
Acratech

Light and excellent

maljo

nickthetasmaniac
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?
Surui K-10x

I've been using this with a lightweight Gitzo tripod for a couple of years now, doing a lot of landscape and hiking, and found it very good, especially when considering the price difference between the big-name euro/us alternatives.

2manydjs
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
In reply to Buzz_A, 8 months ago

Buzz_A wrote:

I use the Pedco UltraPod II for similar reasons, and think it's a major upgrade over the style Manfrotto uses. It can be strapped to all sorts of things with the included velcro strap, a tree, a guard rail, etc. It is also a bit more robust. Mine travels everywhere with me.

When hiking it can strap to my walking stick to become a monopod, or if more stability is required I can normally find a tree branch.

http://www.amazon.com/Pedco-UltraPod-Lightweight-Camera-Tripod/dp/B000ANCPNM/ref=pd_cp_p_0

Buzz

At those prices I will definitely try one!

2manydjs's gear list:2manydjs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
JulesGo
Regular MemberPosts: 157Gear list
Like?
In reply to lnikj, 8 months ago

The Markins Q3 Emille is great.  It is well made, light and ultra strong.  It can handle your gear easily and more...  Get an ultra light tripod like the Benro Travel Angel to go with it and you will have the optimum setup for travelling and trekking.

-- hide signature --

Jules Gobeil
Nature photographer - Photographe de la nature
www.julesgobeil.com

JulesGo's gear list:JulesGo's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads