Help. Mirrorless.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
BlessingOfchaos
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Help. Mirrorless.
7 months ago

Hi, I hope this is in the right place and does not cause an issue by me asking.
I have been looking at new Mirrorless Cameras to replace my Fuji HS20EXR, so far I have looked into the Sony NEX-3N, and the Olympus PEM2. So my price range is up to about £400. I would just really like to know if these are my best option for upgrading my old Bridge camera. I am leaning towards the NEX3N but I want to make sure I'm making the best decision Of an upgrade before I do because I want to make sure that I get the best picture quality for my money.

It is for my partners bday present and she uses it to take photos of herself to put on to, lookbook.com that is the main purpose for the camera so not for landscapes or things like that.

Main things are a noticeable upgrade in picture quality and a more compact camera.

Thank you very much for your help.

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,040
Like?
Re: Help. Mirrorless.
In reply to BlessingOfchaos, 7 months ago

I have been using a NEX 5N for a couple of years and about 50,000 shots, and find it excellent in a very wide variety of situations. The NEX 3 series are almost as good.

Image quality with a good lens can be very good indeed. The kit lens is not at all bad, but I mainly use manual lenses with adapters. (These are lenses I used on film cameras.)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 12,548
Like?

Buying a camera for someone else is a tricky thing. I would suggest NOT surprising her with the camera, but instead, take her to the camera shop and let her try out the candidate cameras in your price range.

Part of your gift to her is the shopping experience (which women normally love anyway), and your active involvement in the experience without forcing her to get something she doesn't want. (Which, after 40 years of marriage, I know women love it when their men let THEM make decisions that affect the women! When it comes to cars and cameras women frequently feel they don't get enough input into the decision, but love the together shopping experience - for the guy, finding that balance is everything)

Making sure the camera fits her hand and making sure the controls make sense to her is REALLY important in a camera. If it doesn't "feel" right or if she considers it a chore to use, it WON'T get used and you will have wasted your money.

The Sony might suit her completely, but it will make her happier if she can walk out of the shop knowing that.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7267302@N03/

Chris R-UK
Forum ProPosts: 12,136Gear list
Like?

Just note that the cameras that you are looking at will come with "kit" lenses with an equivalent focal length range of about 28-85mm.

This will be fine for what your partner wants to photograph but in no sense will it be a replacement for your bridge camera in terms of "zoom".  To get the same focal length range as the bridge camera you will need to buy additional lenses.

So, if you need the long zoom, keep the bridge camera as well.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
BlessingOfchaos
Like?
In reply to Chris R-UK, 7 months ago

Thanks for the help it would only really be for close range shooting. But if you could recommend a lens for long range to fit the Mirrorless that does not break the bank I could consider that as well.

BlessingOfchaos
Like?
In reply to Glen Barrington, 7 months ago

Although I understand where your coming from on that I would rather narrow my choices down to a few good image quality cameras first and then let her do the final bit. I would be upset if I ended up purchasing a new camera and it didn't beat the HS20EXR I already own. Also, although I am not too technical with cameras I have been photoshopping for around 9 years. So I would notice fine detail differences.

BlessingOfchaos
Like?
In reply to D Cox, 7 months ago

That's good to hear! You wouldn't be able to upload and hyperlink an image of a model would you (obviously I understand if you want to blur the face or not upload at all) something along the lines of how images look on lookbook would be helpful. Thank you for your reply. Anything you don't like about the camera? And any lens you would recommend for this type of shooting?

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,411Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the help it would only really be for close range shooting. But if you could recommend a lens for long range to fit the Mirrorless that does not break the bank I could consider that as well.

For most practical purposes, the kit zoom will suffice. If you need telephoto zoom as well, you could shop for two lens kit. These will be 18-55 and 55-210 (covering 28-320mm equiv) and both are stabilized lenses.

I am personally not so much into long zooms. I actually had the two lenses (55-210 was picked up like new for $150). The telephoto lens didn't see much use so I sold it couple of days ago as I also replaced my NEX-3 with NEX-6.

With NEX cameras, you have very good flexiibility to adapt old lenses and can build a lineup inexpensively. This requires working with manual focus and lenses however which can be more interesting and fun than using auto. Something more to think about.

BTW, unless you want NEX-3N form factor, A3000 (small DSLR form factor) is another option, also cheaper.

You could also consider NEX-5R as it has been discounted due to 5T.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
KCook
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,308Gear list
Like?

BlessingOfchaos wrote:

It is for my partners bday present and she uses it to take photos of herself to put on to, lookbook.com that is the main purpose for the camera so not for landscapes or things like that.

Main things are a noticeable upgrade in picture quality and a more compact camera.

Photos on Lookbook, and most other web sites, are low resolution.  So I would not expect to see any "noticeable upgrade" in IQ on that platform, even with the most expensive DSLR.  Unless your current camera is simply doing a poor job of JPG processing in Auto mode, and Auto mode is your main concern.  Nor does a more expensive camera guarantee better Auto mode JPG results.

Kelly Cook

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-PL2
AlbertInFrance
Senior MemberPosts: 2,086Gear list
Like?

If the lack of a viewfinder isn't an issue you could consider the Fuji X-A1. It's available with just the 16-50mm zoom or with both that and a 50-230mm. The two lens kit goes for 779 Euros in France, including tax. That would be around £680 off the top of my head.

The X-A1 will give you as good quality as anything in its price range, but the lenses are a touch slow.

-- hide signature --

Albert
Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.
Most people are more interested in the picture than the image.

AlbertInFrance's gear list:AlbertInFrance's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
Dr JLW
Contributing MemberPosts: 505
Like?
In reply to KCook, 7 months ago

A mirrorless is overkill for web pictures.

Best to talk to her but also consider a travel zoom.  These are very compact and have great stabilization and fit on a purse.

My wife loves hers.

Lab D
Senior MemberPosts: 2,986Gear list
Like?
More agreement
In reply to Dr JLW, 7 months ago

Dr JLW wrote:

A mirrorless is overkill for web pictures.

Best to talk to her but also consider a travel zoom. These are very compact and have great stabilization and fit on a purse.

My wife loves hers.

The only mirrorless I would recommend for web based pictures (lookbook, facebook, etc) are the Pentax Q or Panasonic GM1.  The fit in a pocket and you can take them anywhere.  A P&S or travel zoom will work just as well too.

Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads