My feeble attempt at an archaic OMD E-M1

Started Dec 12, 2013 | Discussions
emd5 001
Regular MemberPosts: 101Gear list
Like?
My feeble attempt at an archaic OMD E-M1
Dec 12, 2013

So... since I can't wait for a silver M1....I "colored" one instead...the "wears" are intended....

Is there even a camera mods sub forum? and if so.. what's the craziest thing you've seen?

the walking about lens

hopefully pass mustard as antiquated

emd5 001's gear list:emd5 001's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +2 more
Joseph T Lewis III
Senior MemberPosts: 1,718Gear list
Like?
Re: My feeble attempt at an archaic OMD E-M1
In reply to emd5 001, Dec 12, 2013

emd5 001 wrote:

So... since I can't wait for a silver M1....I "colored" one instead...the "wears" are intended....

Is there even a camera mods sub forum? and if so.. what's the craziest thing you've seen?

the walking about lens

hopefully pass mustard as antiquated

"Pass Mustard"?  That would probably burn.  Do you perhaps mean "pass muster" instead?

-- hide signature --

Tom

Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
emd5 001
Like?
In reply to Joseph T Lewis III, Dec 12, 2013

Lol, indeed you're right.    I'm sure being splash proof, a little mustard wouldn't hurt either.

Canon PowerShot S3 IS Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +2 more
pdelux
Regular MemberPosts: 401Gear list
Like?

Not bad at all, but I think the Silver color should be a couple shades lighter, but still looks very convincing!

pdelux's gear list:pdelux's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +3 more
mftlandscaper
Junior MemberPosts: 29Gear list
Like?

Let me get this right... You actually rubbed the paint off a brand new E-M1? Wow, that's brave.

Personally I think it looks a mess... sorry!

mftlandscaper's gear list:mftlandscaper's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +3 more
agentul
Contributing MemberPosts: 606Gear list
Like?
In reply to mftlandscaper, Dec 12, 2013

mftlandscaper wrote:

Let me get this right... You actually rubbed the paint off a brand new E-M1? Wow, that's brave.

Personally I think it looks a mess... sorry!

so let me get this "righter": you actually risked voiding the warranty on a camera that costs more than $1000 just for the sake of aesthetics?

the paint, be it silver, black or lime green, has the purpose of protecting metal from corrosion.

agentul's gear list:agentul's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2 +1 more
emd5 001
Like?
In reply to agentul, Dec 12, 2013

Nah, I wouldn't be that crazy.. It's just a silver permanent marker pen.  The color actually matches the M5, probably because of the flash that it looks dark.  I'll have to put them together and take a picture.

Christian Grevstad
Regular MemberPosts: 212Gear list
Like?

Accually looks better than the original..

Christian Grevstad's gear list:Christian Grevstad's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Ricoh GR Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +14 more
gergei1
Regular MemberPosts: 248Gear list
Like?

What's the bloody point?

It looks absolutely horrible.

I like to keep my camera and lenses pristine - maybe because I have limited funds to spend - so I really don't get it.

Is it a way of protecting it from the risk of theft, or what?

gergei1's gear list:gergei1's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W120 Sigma DP3 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
uberzone
Regular MemberPosts: 232Gear list
Like?
In reply to gergei1, Dec 12, 2013

Next time maybe try vinyl stickers.

I certainly wouldn't have the heart to do this. This probably affects the warranty and resale value (if you even care about that).

This reminds me of those posts where someone buys a brand new iPhone and then smashes it on the ground in front of everyone still standing in line to get one.

uberzone's gear list:uberzone's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sony Alpha 7R
Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 13,085
Like?
Tie one end of a rope to the E-M1...

Tie one end of a rope to the E-M1.  Tie the other end to the bumper of your car.  Drive the car for 10 km with the E-M1 dragging and bouncing behind.  The E-M1 will have a fantastic look after that and your pride will swell when you have it hanging from your neck in public.  That is the way to do it.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

RealPancho
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029Gear list
Like?

emd5 001 wrote:

....what's the craziest thing you've seen?

This:

-- hide signature --

Frank

RealPancho's gear list:RealPancho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +9 more
emd5 001
Like?
In reply to uberzone, Dec 12, 2013

It'll rub off over time with use (or with some acetone?), it's a permanent marker pen after all. So re-apply as needed, I don't plan to sell any equipments I own ever so I rarely do any purchases, but once bought, it stays with me until I or it desists.

The point of it is... I just like the silver look a lot better than the pure black one, again my preferences. I'm surprised that we don't see this more often, no different than a car mods, or any tools you own that you'd want to "personalized" it.

oh and if you think that's crazy.... wait until you see what I did with some lenses,.... It should be a crime....I kid of course..

MrGubrz
Contributing MemberPosts: 761Gear list
Like?

you should have done gold first

let it dry

then done silver over it and rubbed some wear spots off, so it looked brassy under!

redo it!

lol

or you could have plastidip it!

MrGubrz's gear list:MrGubrz's gear list
Sony RX1 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7S Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +9 more
Ulfric M Douglas
Senior MemberPosts: 4,039
Like?

Very nice indeed, convincing.

Now do a black paint where the brass is showing through ...

-- hide signature --

Cheksa wrote:
You're evil Ulfric.

agentul
Contributing MemberPosts: 606Gear list
Like?

emd5 001 wrote:

Nah, I wouldn't be that crazy.. It's just a silver permanent marker pen. The color actually matches the M5, probably because of the flash that it looks dark. I'll have to put them together and take a picture.

oh, well, that's different. i would have made it uniform, though - right now it looks like a rush job. i also suspect that it might fade away in time, so you'll get a natural wear aspect.

agentul's gear list:agentul's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2 +1 more
Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 27,651
Like?

Sorry, but to my eye that just looks ugly.

-- hide signature --
n3eg
Contributing MemberPosts: 678Gear list
Like?

Here's the craziest thing I've ever done with my E-PL5:

Pentax 110 f/2.8 fixed aperture manual focus 24mm lens with adapter.  Proof that micro four thirds could be even smaller.

Also, notice the rattling triangles are gone on the camera lugs and moved to the strap.  Works much better for me.  I'm shooting a concert tonight, and the camera goes in with the tiny lens and no grip.  When the lights go down, out comes the 40-150 from my pocket.

-- hide signature --

It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.

n3eg's gear list:n3eg's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z990 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +29 more
Sup Mylo
Regular MemberPosts: 226Gear list
Like?

emd5 001 wrote:

Nah, I wouldn't be that crazy.. It's just a silver permanent marker pen. The color actually matches the M5, probably because of the flash that it looks dark. I'll have to put them together and take a picture.

I notice in your gallery you've got a couple of photos of the moon..... I seriously think that has affected your judgment

Sup Mylo

Sup Mylo's gear list:Sup Mylo's gear list
Leica Digilux 3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm F2.8-3.5 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +2 more
Torsten Hoff
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,234Gear list
Like?
A suggestion for anyone contemplating this

Instead of using permanent marker, use a product called Plasti Dip. It's a spray-on coating with a slightly rubbery texture that can be removed without leaving any residue if needed. It's available in a variety of colors, just mask off the areas you want to leave unmodified and spray it on.

Torsten Hoff's gear list:Torsten Hoff's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads