I'm stumped. Any ideas about what this is?

Started Dec 12, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
nevada5
nevada5 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,857
I'm stumped. Any ideas about what this is?

This is the (uninspiring) scene - shot out my open car window in a parking lot waiting for the wife, just checking focus, DOF, etc on a new camera - a Nikon P7800. It's just a pile of dirty snow and a mound of evergreens with parking lot area beyond that.

The scene, as it appeared

Now here's a SOOC JPEG from the P7800.  This only happened once - I couldn't duplicate it.  The lower 3/4 (+/-) of the image are strongly tinted green.  It's not a straight line and there's a blurred area where it transitions to the correct colors. I've never seen this before.

Nikon Coolpix P7800

Now that's very strange, but then it got really weird.  For no good reason, after I couldn't duplicate this, I got out my GX7 with 20mm1.7 and shot the same scene.  Different camera, obviously a different card, different everything.  And this is what I got.

Panasonic GX7

I'm baffled.  I called the wife and told her to get out now - either aliens have arrived or I was in the midst of an extreme acid flashback.  I can rule out the flashback if you're seeing what I'm seeing.

Seriously, I couldn't duplicate it again with the GX7.  Again there's a wide blurred area between the green tint and the natural colors. Click to see originals. The GX7 was set to raw + JPEG and the raw looks identical.  Any ideas?

-- hide signature --

Life is short - drive a convertible.
Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society. Aristotle

 nevada5's gear list:nevada5's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mark Scott Abeln Veteran Member • Posts: 7,798
Different color rendering, probably different white balance too.

Automatic white balance algorithms, found in all consumer digital cameras, are very likely going to be different for different cameras, and very slight changes in conditions might lead to different white balances between pictures with even the same camera.

The white balance will affect all the colors in an image, pushing them towards one direction or another. For this reason, I recommend doing a manual white balance or using one of the presets.

But different manufacturers' cameras — even different models from the same manufacturer — are going to have different color renderings, even if the cameras are all white-balanced in the exactly same way.

This is partly due to the fact that cameras don't have the same color sensitivity as does the typical human eye, which is due to a number of factors, and the color sensitivity is going to vary between manufacturers and models. This is also because there are differing opinions as to what makes for an acceptable, or pleasing color rendition. Finally, good color rendering might require lots of computing horsepower — and consumer cameras might make some shortcuts in the mathematics in order to save an image to the memory card quickly, but this will change the colors. (I use some accurate software on my Mac that might take a minute or so to process and save an image — not something that a camera could get away with),

 Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
nevada5
nevada5 OP Veteran Member • Posts: 7,857
Thank you, but...

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

Automatic white balance algorithms, found in all consumer digital cameras, are very likely going to be different for different cameras, and very slight changes in conditions might lead to different white balances between pictures with even the same camera.

The white balance will affect all the colors in an image, pushing them towards one direction or another. For this reason, I recommend doing a manual white balance or using one of the presets.

But different manufacturers' cameras — even different models from the same manufacturer — are going to have different color renderings, even if the cameras are all white-balanced in the exactly same way.

This is partly due to the fact that cameras don't have the same color sensitivity as does the typical human eye, which is due to a number of factors, and the color sensitivity is going to vary between manufacturers and models. This is also because there are differing opinions as to what makes for an acceptable, or pleasing color rendition. Finally, good color rendering might require lots of computing horsepower — and consumer cameras might make some shortcuts in the mathematics in order to save an image to the memory card quickly, but this will change the colors. (I use some accurate software on my Mac that might take a minute or so to process and save an image — not something that a camera could get away with),

I appreciate the time you took with an explanation. But I'm wondering if you looked at image #2 and #3. Are you saying you think the white balance changed drastically in only part of an image - and caused a wide blurred swath where it made a change? Like you said, "The white balance will affect all the colors in an image"

-- hide signature --

Life is short - drive a convertible.
Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society. Aristotle

 nevada5's gear list:nevada5's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7
JohnJ851 Regular Member • Posts: 463
Re: I'm stumped. Any ideas about what this is?
2

nevada5 wrote:

This is the (uninspiring) scene - shot out my open car window in a parking lot waiting for the wife, just checking focus, DOF, etc on a new camera - a Nikon P7800. It's just a pile of dirty snow and a mound of evergreens with parking lot area beyond that.

The scene, as it appeared

Now here's a SOOC JPEG from the P7800. This only happened once - I couldn't duplicate it. The lower 3/4 (+/-) of the image are strongly tinted green. It's not a straight line and there's a blurred area where it transitions to the correct colors. I've never seen this before.

Nikon Coolpix P7800

Now that's very strange, but then it got really weird. For no good reason, after I couldn't duplicate this, I got out my GX7 with 20mm1.7 and shot the same scene. Different camera, obviously a different card, different everything. And this is what I got.

Panasonic GX7

I'm baffled. I called the wife and told her to get out now - either aliens have arrived or I was in the midst of an extreme acid flashback. I can rule out the flashback if you're seeing what I'm seeing.

Seriously, I couldn't duplicate it again with the GX7. Again there's a wide blurred area between the green tint and the natural colors. Click to see originals. The GX7 was set to raw + JPEG and the raw looks identical. Any ideas?

-- hide signature --

Life is short - drive a convertible.
Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society. Aristotle

Could it be the sun shining from behind through your cars tinted windows? It's a bit hard to see where the sun is exactly.

JohnJ

-- hide signature --

English is my second/third language

nevada5
nevada5 OP Veteran Member • Posts: 7,857
Re: I'm stumped. Any ideas about what this is?

That's the kind of thing I was looking for to explain it - But - The first pic in my series was actually shot a few minutes after the second one posted (Time shot is in the exif).  That first shot is one I took trying to duplicate the issue.

You can see the shadows are identical.  And my position didn't change.  So I've ruled out my tinted windows but you might be on the right track  - an odd reflective surface somewhere that wasn't consistent???

-- hide signature --

Life is short - drive a convertible.
Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society. Aristotle

 nevada5's gear list:nevada5's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7
Draek
Draek Senior Member • Posts: 2,028
Re: I'm stumped. Any ideas about what this is?

nevada5 wrote:

That's the kind of thing I was looking for to explain it - But - The first pic in my series was actually shot a few minutes after the second one posted (Time shot is in the exif). That first shot is one I took trying to duplicate the issue.

You can see the shadows are identical. And my position didn't change.

But your framing/effective focal length did. Overlay them both in Photoshop, and you'll see your framing with the Nikon fits quite comfortably within the area where color is consistent in the GX7 shot -- little wonder, when the Nikon photo was taken with the lens at an ~85mm equivalent, whereas the GX7 one was taken with only a ~40mm equivalent lens.

So I've ruled out my tinted windows but you might be on the right track - an odd reflective surface somewhere that wasn't consistent???

-- hide signature --

Life is short - drive a convertible.
Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society. Aristotle

 Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot A1200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,593
Paranormal, for sure
1
-- hide signature --

Have a Merry Christmas

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,441
Re: I'm stumped. Any ideas about what this is?

The GX7 was set to raw + JPEG

Can You Post the GX7 RAW ?

Russell Dawkins Regular Member • Posts: 262
Re: I'm stumped. Any ideas about what this is?
4

I'd say you were shooting through a partly open green tinted window–nearly fully open in the third shot; 1/5th open in the second shot–and getting the glass in the photo. Or is this too obvious?!

 Russell Dawkins's gear list:Russell Dawkins's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-01
Timj351
Timj351 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,744
Re: I'm stumped. Any ideas about what this is?

This is odd but it doesn't help that the first two images don't show the questionable part of the scene that is in the third image. My only guess is that there is a shadow there and you had an auto feature like HDR turned on that took 2 or 3 exposures and blended them in a bad way. But since you said that it is the same in the Raw file that is probably unlikely. Is there any other settings that could apply different white balances to different parts of the scene or take some sort of multiple exposure? It's hard to guess but that as all I can think of. Hopefully it was just a one time anomaly.

-Tim

 Timj351's gear list:Timj351's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FP8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 +3 more
Ron Poelman
Ron Poelman Veteran Member • Posts: 5,177
Simple reflection from a nearby skyscraper ?

Quite a few of them have a tint on those mirrored panels.
Passing cloud would give you the edge effect, even though it's not "local"

 Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7R Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM +13 more
Martin.au
Martin.au Forum Pro • Posts: 10,317
Re: I'm stumped. Any ideas about what this is?
5

You shot the window glass. Next time wind it all the way down.

 Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +6 more
57LowRider Senior Member • Posts: 3,766
Re: I'm stumped. Any ideas about what this is?
1

I'll go with the aliens idea, much more fun.

 57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +10 more
billythek Veteran Member • Posts: 5,258
Re: I'm stumped. Any ideas about what this is?

If I were a skeptic, I might say you didn't have your window rolled all the way down.

But, no doubt, space aliens.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

 billythek's gear list:billythek's gear list
DxO One Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,349
Re: I'm stumped. Any ideas about what this is?

Comparing the first and the second picture, it seems that the second was shot from a lower position than the first, which could account for the top of the tinted window being visible in the second shot but not in the first.

Doesn't look as somewhere an alien would love to hang out, but aliens might be bored while the wife is shopping and play tricks with light and shadows just to pass time, who knows?

 Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +9 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,593
It proves we are in the Matrix
1
-- hide signature --

Have a Merry Christmas

Ontario Gone
Ontario Gone Senior Member • Posts: 4,183
Re: I'm stumped. Any ideas about what this is?

That still doesnt explain the difference. A FL explanation is about as logical as saying overexposure nets less noise.

 Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS 70D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
RhysM Senior Member • Posts: 2,211
Re: I'm stumped. Any ideas about what this is?

Some people really need to get out more!

malch Forum Pro • Posts: 13,126
Re: I'm stumped. Any ideas about what this is?

That line is not a line. It's a smooth curve. You shot the window!

drh681
drh681 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,057
window tint.
-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
Gravitons no longer shipped outside US or Canada
-----.....------
You got a camera, now go out and get a life; or at least a picture of one!

 drh681's gear list:drh681's gear list
Nokia Lumia Icon
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads