I'm stumped. Any ideas about what this is?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
nevada5
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,219Gear list
Like?
I'm stumped. Any ideas about what this is?
11 months ago

This is the (uninspiring) scene - shot out my open car window in a parking lot waiting for the wife, just checking focus, DOF, etc on a new camera - a Nikon P7800. It's just a pile of dirty snow and a mound of evergreens with parking lot area beyond that.

The scene, as it appeared

Now here's a SOOC JPEG from the P7800.  This only happened once - I couldn't duplicate it.  The lower 3/4 (+/-) of the image are strongly tinted green.  It's not a straight line and there's a blurred area where it transitions to the correct colors. I've never seen this before.

Nikon Coolpix P7800

Now that's very strange, but then it got really weird.  For no good reason, after I couldn't duplicate this, I got out my GX7 with 20mm1.7 and shot the same scene.  Different camera, obviously a different card, different everything.  And this is what I got.

Panasonic GX7

I'm baffled.  I called the wife and told her to get out now - either aliens have arrived or I was in the midst of an extreme acid flashback.  I can rule out the flashback if you're seeing what I'm seeing.

Seriously, I couldn't duplicate it again with the GX7.  Again there's a wide blurred area between the green tint and the natural colors. Click to see originals. The GX7 was set to raw + JPEG and the raw looks identical.  Any ideas?

-- hide signature --

Life is short - drive a convertible.
Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society. Aristotle

Nikon Coolpix P7800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mark Scott Abeln
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,100Gear list
Like?
Different color rendering, probably different white balance too.
In reply to nevada5, 11 months ago

Automatic white balance algorithms, found in all consumer digital cameras, are very likely going to be different for different cameras, and very slight changes in conditions might lead to different white balances between pictures with even the same camera.

The white balance will affect all the colors in an image, pushing them towards one direction or another. For this reason, I recommend doing a manual white balance or using one of the presets.

But different manufacturers' cameras — even different models from the same manufacturer — are going to have different color renderings, even if the cameras are all white-balanced in the exactly same way.

This is partly due to the fact that cameras don't have the same color sensitivity as does the typical human eye, which is due to a number of factors, and the color sensitivity is going to vary between manufacturers and models. This is also because there are differing opinions as to what makes for an acceptable, or pleasing color rendition. Finally, good color rendering might require lots of computing horsepower — and consumer cameras might make some shortcuts in the mathematics in order to save an image to the memory card quickly, but this will change the colors. (I use some accurate software on my Mac that might take a minute or so to process and save an image — not something that a camera could get away with),

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Rokinon 85mm F1.4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nevada5
Like?
Thank you, but...
In reply to Mark Scott Abeln, 11 months ago

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

Automatic white balance algorithms, found in all consumer digital cameras, are very likely going to be different for different cameras, and very slight changes in conditions might lead to different white balances between pictures with even the same camera.

The white balance will affect all the colors in an image, pushing them towards one direction or another. For this reason, I recommend doing a manual white balance or using one of the presets.

But different manufacturers' cameras — even different models from the same manufacturer — are going to have different color renderings, even if the cameras are all white-balanced in the exactly same way.

This is partly due to the fact that cameras don't have the same color sensitivity as does the typical human eye, which is due to a number of factors, and the color sensitivity is going to vary between manufacturers and models. This is also because there are differing opinions as to what makes for an acceptable, or pleasing color rendition. Finally, good color rendering might require lots of computing horsepower — and consumer cameras might make some shortcuts in the mathematics in order to save an image to the memory card quickly, but this will change the colors. (I use some accurate software on my Mac that might take a minute or so to process and save an image — not something that a camera could get away with),

I appreciate the time you took with an explanation. But I'm wondering if you looked at image #2 and #3. Are you saying you think the white balance changed drastically in only part of an image - and caused a wide blurred swath where it made a change? Like you said, "The white balance will affect all the colors in an image"

-- hide signature --

JohnJ851
Regular MemberPosts: 388
Like?
Re: I'm stumped. Any ideas about what this is?

nevada5 wrote:

This is the (uninspiring) scene - shot out my open car window in a parking lot waiting for the wife, just checking focus, DOF, etc on a new camera - a Nikon P7800. It's just a pile of dirty snow and a mound of evergreens with parking lot area beyond that.

The scene, as it appeared

Now here's a SOOC JPEG from the P7800. This only happened once - I couldn't duplicate it. The lower 3/4 (+/-) of the image are strongly tinted green. It's not a straight line and there's a blurred area where it transitions to the correct colors. I've never seen this before.

Nikon Coolpix P7800

Now that's very strange, but then it got really weird. For no good reason, after I couldn't duplicate this, I got out my GX7 with 20mm1.7 and shot the same scene. Different camera, obviously a different card, different everything. And this is what I got.

Panasonic GX7

I'm baffled. I called the wife and told her to get out now - either aliens have arrived or I was in the midst of an extreme acid flashback. I can rule out the flashback if you're seeing what I'm seeing.

Seriously, I couldn't duplicate it again with the GX7. Again there's a wide blurred area between the green tint and the natural colors. Click to see originals. The GX7 was set to raw + JPEG and the raw looks identical. Any ideas?

-- hide signature --

Could it be the sun shining from behind through your cars tinted windows? It's a bit hard to see where the sun is exactly.

JohnJ

-- hide signature --

English is my second/third language

nevada5
Like?
In reply to JohnJ851, 11 months ago

That's the kind of thing I was looking for to explain it - But - The first pic in my series was actually shot a few minutes after the second one posted (Time shot is in the exif).  That first shot is one I took trying to duplicate the issue.

You can see the shadows are identical.  And my position didn't change.  So I've ruled out my tinted windows but you might be on the right track  - an odd reflective surface somewhere that wasn't consistent???

-- hide signature --

Draek
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028Gear list
Like?

nevada5 wrote:

That's the kind of thing I was looking for to explain it - But - The first pic in my series was actually shot a few minutes after the second one posted (Time shot is in the exif). That first shot is one I took trying to duplicate the issue.

You can see the shadows are identical. And my position didn't change.

But your framing/effective focal length did. Overlay them both in Photoshop, and you'll see your framing with the Nikon fits quite comfortably within the area where color is consistent in the GX7 shot -- little wonder, when the Nikon photo was taken with the lens at an ~85mm equivalent, whereas the GX7 one was taken with only a ~40mm equivalent lens.

So I've ruled out my tinted windows but you might be on the right track - an odd reflective surface somewhere that wasn't consistent???

-- hide signature --

Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Canon PowerShot A1200 Samsung TL500 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Paranormal, for sure
-- hide signature --

Have a Merry Christmas

Carsten Pauer 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,379
Like?

The GX7 was set to raw + JPEG

Can You Post the GX7 RAW ?

Russell Dawkins
Regular MemberPosts: 209Gear list
Like?
In reply to Carsten Pauer 2, 11 months ago

I'd say you were shooting through a partly open green tinted window–nearly fully open in the third shot; 1/5th open in the second shot–and getting the glass in the photo. Or is this too obvious?!

Russell Dawkins's gear list:Russell Dawkins's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-01
Timj351
Senior MemberPosts: 2,339
Like?

This is odd but it doesn't help that the first two images don't show the questionable part of the scene that is in the third image. My only guess is that there is a shadow there and you had an auto feature like HDR turned on that took 2 or 3 exposures and blended them in a bad way. But since you said that it is the same in the Raw file that is probably unlikely. Is there any other settings that could apply different white balances to different parts of the scene or take some sort of multiple exposure? It's hard to guess but that as all I can think of. Hopefully it was just a one time anomaly.

-Tim

Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,264Gear list
Like?
Simple reflection from a nearby skyscraper ?

Quite a few of them have a tint on those mirrored panels.
Passing cloud would give you the edge effect, even though it's not "local"

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7R
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,453Gear list
Like?

You shot the window glass. Next time wind it all the way down.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +3 more
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,618Gear list
Like?

I'll go with the aliens idea, much more fun.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +8 more
billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,895Gear list
Like?

If I were a skeptic, I might say you didn't have your window rolled all the way down.

But, no doubt, space aliens.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,385Gear list
Like?

Comparing the first and the second picture, it seems that the second was shot from a lower position than the first, which could account for the top of the tinted window being visible in the second shot but not in the first.

Doesn't look as somewhere an alien would love to hang out, but aliens might be bored while the wife is shopping and play tricks with light and shadows just to pass time, who knows?

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
It proves we are in the Matrix
-- hide signature --

Have a Merry Christmas

Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 3,560Gear list
Like?
In reply to Draek, 11 months ago

That still doesnt explain the difference. A FL explanation is about as logical as saying overexposure nets less noise.

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
RhysM
Senior MemberPosts: 1,818
Like?

Some people really need to get out more!

malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,761
Like?

That line is not a line. It's a smooth curve. You shot the window!

drh681
Forum ProPosts: 11,802
Like?
window tint.
-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
Gravitons no longer shipped outside US or Canada
-----.....------
You got a camera, now go out and get a life; or at least a picture of one!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads