Started 8 months ago | Discussions
photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,629Gear list
Like?
Why is E-M1 better than E-PL5
8 months ago

Same ISO

Same IQ

E-PL5 1/3 the cost, half the weight, you could not telll the difference in the pictures.

If you want you can put the 1 ounce VF4 on the PL5.

MySets on both

I don't get it yet.

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus PEN E-PL5
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PL5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jasonmon
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
Re: Why is E-M1 better than E-PL5
In reply to photo perzon, 8 months ago

I don't have EM-1, but from the tech specs,

EM-1 has faster focus with Zuiko lens compared to EPL5.

EM-1 is weather sealed with weather sealed lens.

EM-1 has better IBIS than EPL5

EM-1 has better grip than the EPL5

EM-1 has viewfinder

These are some of the factors I can think of now.

Why did you ask this question? If you're happy with EPL5, and it's not limiting your photography, I don't think there's any need for EM1 for you.

-- hide signature --

My Speak Art blog.

Jasonmon's gear list:Jasonmon's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EarthQuake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,157Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jasonmon, 8 months ago

Jasonmon wrote:

EM-1 has viewfinder

Why did you ask this question? If you're happy with EPL5, and it's not limiting your photography, I don't think there's any need for EM1 for you.

-- hide signature --

My Speak Art blog.

Also better ergonomics, more direct controls, larger buffer, phase detection AF for better CAF with m43rds lenses and support for legacy 4/3rds lenses.

klauspauk
Contributing MemberPosts: 624Gear list
Like?

photo perzon wrote:

Same ISO

Same IQ

E-PL5 1/3 the cost, half the weight, you could not telll the difference in the pictures.

MySets on both

I don't get it yet.

I doubt if you ever will

klauspauk's gear list:klauspauk's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,202Gear list
Like?

You apparently don't get a lot of things. The superiority of the E-M1 should be obvious:

• vastly better ergonomics
  • much better robustness
  • build-in VF
  • PDAF
  • better image buffer
  • weather sealing
  • Service Plus
  • better performance

If that's not enough ...

To me the flimsy controls and control layout of the E-PL 5 is a deal breaker anyway.

So, what did you ask again?

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +17 more
VinceC
Contributing MemberPosts: 859Gear list
Like?
Well, because.........

I have had the  M5 for 10 months and the M1 for just two weeks.  I will keep and use both and have just sold my Nikon D7100 and lenses.   I had the E-PL5 briefly in summer, but sold it as it didn't work for me - I need a viewfinder and hate using "sticky on bits".

The M5 convinced me that M4/3 had sufficiently good IQ to commit to M4/3 100% - but not until after an expensive struggle to make a "big black camera" system small enough with god enough IQ to justify the extra weight & bulk.  The real killer was the lenses - not the body.

All the M4/3 bodies I have had have similar IQ - so to me the differences are in useability.  Personal preference.  the PL5 has no viewfinder (my "sticky on bit") and less effective IBIS.  IBIS on the M5 and M1 is unbelievably good.  It really is stunning.

The M5 is a truly great camera, but lacks a grip (remember, I hate "sticky on bits").  It also always feels a little fragile to me (personal view).   The M1 is more conventional in layout - a good grip, well designed buttons and no need for (sticky on bits - except the flash, which I tolerate as I don't use flash much).

Beyond that the improvements on the M5 are marginal.  And it is expensive.

So I'd suggest looking hard at both cameras and getting a hands on play with them.  Also consider the PENs, but ask "do you need a viewfinder" and how important is low light (IBIS) to you.  Oh - and how do you feel about "sticky on bits" - I believe that some people call these "accessories"!

Good luck with your choice - Viva 4/3!

-- hide signature --

Best regards
Vince C

VinceC's gear list:VinceC's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +4 more
CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,612
Like?

Same ISO

Same IQ

MySets on both

I don't get it yet.

Then you never will, so stick with the EPL5.
--
If, in my lifetime, I will have produced just one image that makes a real difference in the life of another, I will have achieved my highest goal as a photographer.

http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/

http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

Michael Jardine
Senior MemberPosts: 1,216Gear list
Like?
In reply to EarthQuake, 8 months ago

EarthQuake wrote:

Jasonmon wrote:

EM-1 has viewfinder

-- hide signature --

My Speak Art blog.

Also better ergonomics, more direct controls, larger buffer, phase detection AF for better CAF with m43rds lenses and support for legacy 4/3rds lenses.

All of the above is true. However, I have both cameras (E-PL5 was my first) and frankly, I see it as a much better alternative to the GX-1 because it's ALMOST as small - truly pocketable with the 20mm pancake - but the view screen can pop out, which gives you MUCH more shooting flexibility.  Personally I would never buy a camera with a fixed view screen, no matter how small.

Regarding the E-PL5, I use the viewfinder about 40% of the time and pop-up screen about 60% of the time. I love both - but for different reasons.

I thought of selling my E-PL5 when I bought my E-M1 but then I also realized i was not using the 20mm pancake any more so now, the 20mm 'lives' on the E-PL5 as a second body.  I can drop it into my coat pocket if I'm going out on the town. And I can also drop it into my minimalist waist back (LowePro 100 Runner) which also happens to hold the E-M1 with 12-40, 75 1.8, Flash, and iPad Mini...

-- hide signature --

Michael
www.Qamera.com
www.Qamera.Tumblr.com
www.Pinterest.com/Qamera

Michael Jardine's gear list:Michael Jardine's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D800 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +11 more
Zenjitsuman
Regular MemberPosts: 442
Like?

The DXO high iso mark of the EP5 is better than the EM1.  I agree with the first post, the EM1 is the same size as the FF Sony A7, and only $300 cheaper.  I am not saying its not a good camera, but its

not the best size/weight vs. IQ of the M43 cameras.  Maybe I am biased by the EP5 small size without giving up features and handy control set-up.

Ron Joiner
Contributing MemberPosts: 852Gear list
Like?
In reply to Zenjitsuman, 8 months ago

I have had the EPL-5 for about a year, use it regularly and enjoy it. However, I see the value of moving up to the EM-1 as many have pointed out.

I am curious to see what will come when the new OMD is released in the new year as I am a little price conscious and expect it to fit between the EM-1 and the EM-5 which my budget will allow.

Ron

Ron Joiner's gear list:Ron Joiner's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +4 more
aimawayfromface
Regular MemberPosts: 100Gear list
Like?

photo perzon wrote:

Same ISO

Same IQ

MySets on both

I don't get it yet.

EM1 has better ergonomics, more buttons/dials, much better IBIS, better tracking focus. Personally I value size over those things so I use an EPL5. For those who don't need a small size body, the EM1 is better for everything else.

aimawayfromface's gear list:aimawayfromface's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R
Dave Bennett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,416
Like?

photo perzon wrote:

Same ISO

Same IQ

MySets on both

I don't get it yet.

I have both and love them both. Horses for courses.

-- hide signature --

Dave
Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Chairman Cwmbran Photographic Society

Moti
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,239
Like?
Because...

photo perzon wrote:

Same ISO

Same IQ

MySets on both

I don't get it yet.

Because it has better skin tones and because it has a PRO label that makes you look more important.

Moti

-- hide signature --
Lab D
Senior MemberPosts: 3,458Gear list
Like?
For some E-PL5 is better than E-M1

I own the E-M1, but the E-PL5 is smaller and more portable.

The E-M1 is weather proof and had PDAF.

There is no one size fits all, but having options is what makes Micro Fourth Thirds the best.

Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D600
Olymore
Senior MemberPosts: 1,166
Like?
In reply to CharlesB58, 8 months ago

I don't think Photoperzon quite understands the concept of sticking with a camera.

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people.
Those that understand binary and those that don't.

EvokeEmotion
Contributing MemberPosts: 876Gear list
Like?
In reply to tgutgu, 8 months ago

tgutgu wrote:

You apparently don't get a lot of things. The superiority of the E-M1 should be obvious:

• vastly better ergonomics
  • much better robustness
  • build-in VF
  • PDAF
  • better image buffer
  • weather sealing
  • Service Plus
  • better performance

If that's not enough ...

To me the flimsy controls and control layout of the E-PL 5 is a deal breaker anyway.

So, what did you ask again?

-- hide signature --

Thomas

dumme antwort!

EvokeEmotion's gear list:EvokeEmotion's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +9 more
Jim Salvas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,674Gear list
Like?

What's useful about your question is it illustrates how crazy the quest for IQ has become, with at least some people being willing to ignore everything else which makes for a good camera.

In the film days, every interchangeable lens camera had the same IQ, given that they could use the same film and, with adapters, the same lenses. Within the same lineup, the lowly Nikon EM could produce images indistinguishable from the F2A - Titanium, which cost quite a multiple of the EM's price.

I recently held a PM2 and an E-M1 in my hands at the same time and, though they pretty much share IQ,  the difference was even more stark than that between an EM and an F2A. You pay for durability. You pay for handling.

And, personally, I'm willing to pay for a camera which feels so right in my hands, as does an E-M1.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +8 more
n3eg
Contributing MemberPosts: 575Gear list
Like?

Because it looks just like a you-know-what.

And better controls, better IBIS, better with 4/3 lenses, viewfinder, faster shutter, can use accessory grip, weather resistant, better construction, better balance for bigger lenses....just a few small improvements.

-- hide signature --

It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.

n3eg's gear list:n3eg's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z990 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +20 more
KTClown
Contributing MemberPosts: 824Gear list
Like?

photo perzon wrote:

Same ISO

Same IQ

MySets on both

I don't get it yet.

It maybe better? Depends on the lens and the person behind the camera. I bought the E-PL5 right before the E-M1 came out. No problems with PL5, as you stated 1/3 the cost and I already had the VF-2 from my XZ-1 which I bought for a back up. Both cameras use the same sensor, I like the size of  the PL5. Beats hauling ground my DLSR Fuji.

Some always want the latest and greatest out there, and it's their choice.

Gary

KTClown's gear list:KTClown's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
jack Hoggard
Contributing MemberPosts: 823Gear list
Like?
In reply to Michael Jardine, 8 months ago

and you believed your date when she said, "Size doesn't matter."  

-- hide signature --

jaxupra

jack Hoggard's gear list:jack Hoggard's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads