Taking too many images damage memory (discuss)

Started Dec 12, 2013 | Questions
nihon94
Regular MemberPosts: 304
Like?
Taking too many images damage memory (discuss)
Dec 12, 2013

Today I got an e-mail from thenewcamera.com and an article talked about taking too many images damage our memory. For article the link is below.

click here

In the said article the researchers should have mentioned by "Constantly taking photographs" how many clicks do they think is not safe.

In my experience it could differ from person to person but I think images help us to memorize something easily even they help us in mind mapping.

Please discuss and share your thoughts.

Thank you to all who reply in advance.:-)

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
dinoSnake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,238
Like?
Re: Taking too many images damage memory (discuss)
In reply to nihon94, Dec 12, 2013

I might see this research as valid, judging from my own personal experience.  Not in images but in data - since I started using pocket computers (PDA) 20 years ago (I'm a VERY early adopter ) I simply stopped trying to remember (what is for me) inconsequential information such as telephone numbers, etc.  That's what my data assistants are for.

So, if we take many photographs, I would assume our minds would react the same: discount writing thing to long-term memory as we recognize that this information will be available by other means.  Therefore, our long term visual memory will only be written to when things are deemed tremendously important, rather than a general record of everyday life.

We are "biological computers", after all.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aspenz
Contributing MemberPosts: 709Gear list
Like?

Hmm funny how this is being brought up... I've always felt that photography, while a passion of mine, potentially could result in my being 'less in the moment' and at times right after an event with many photos I've experienced a disconnect in terms of memory recall and the amount of time spent at it. In fact, to counteract this, I constantly remind myself to take in a scene and just stay slow-paced in order to satisfy my photography urges without compromising my memory for later.

I'd say this effect is most noticeable when more than one modality is engaged, for example, attending a concert/performance and snapping off shots like you've unlimited buffer. For me, in the beginning, I had to deal with a huge loss of recollection and a sense of emptiness despite having just attended it.

Aspenz's gear list:Aspenz's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +3 more
Nigel Wilkins
Senior MemberPosts: 1,006
Like?

The experiment is a bit simplistic & I'm not surprised at the results.  When you're busy taking photos of lots of things, you're concentrating on taking photos more than looking at the exhibits.

If they'd studied a snapshooter verses a landscape photographer, they may have found the opposite is true, since many landscape shooters study their subject before & during taking photos.  I know I do.

-- hide signature --

nigelwilkinsphotography.com
Everything to do with the art of photography is a guideline. The only rules are generally enforced by the police.

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,873Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nigel Wilkins, Dec 12, 2013

Nigel Wilkins wrote:

The experiment is a bit simplistic & I'm not surprised at the results. When you're busy taking photos of lots of things, you're concentrating on taking photos more than looking at the exhibits.

If they'd studied a snapshooter verses a landscape photographer, they may have found the opposite is true, since many landscape shooters study their subject before & during taking photos. I know I do.

-- hide signature --

nigelwilkinsphotography.com
Everything to do with the art of photography is a guideline. The only rules are generally enforced by the police.

I have a terrific verbal memory, the best of anyone I know, but I don't readily remember faces. But there's a curious thing. If I photograph someone, and it normally isn't a photograph of them but of them in it, as in a running race, I have a much better chance of remembering their face. It's quite the opposite, for me, in that regard.

-- hide signature --

Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh (Irish Gaelic)
A good word never broke a tooth.

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +25 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

The Article is for the Birds...

Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 27,565Gear list
Like?
I've been shooting for a long time now. . .

nihon94 wrote:

Today I got an e-mail from thenewcamera.com and an article talked about taking too many images damage our memory. For article the link is below.

click here

In the said article the researchers should have mentioned by "Constantly taking photographs" how many clicks do they think is not safe.

In my experience it could differ from person to person but I think images help us to memorize something easily even they help us in mind mapping.

Thank you to all who reply in advance.:-)

It's clear that the foundation for this conclusion ha. . .

Um. . .

I'm sorry - what were we talking about?

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
Bill Robb
Senior MemberPosts: 3,332
Like?

I don't really think the taking too many pictures damages our memory so much as it distracts us and inhibits our ability to concentrate sufficiently on what is in front of us to remember it fully. It really doesn't take very much to distract a person from what is in front of them.

Check this out:

Monkey Business illusion

tresise
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?

nihon94 wrote:

You are totally missing the point of the research and trying to extrapolate / transfer its conclusions.

Your comment "how many clicks do they think are safe" - is erroneous. This is more about observing the world around you and using a picture as record in addition to your memory and actually thinking about you are looking at, not just taking a picture and presuming that is sufficient.

You also use the term memorize - and mind mapping, mind mapping used correctly is very useful and efficient way of learning however do not confuse memorizing with learning or knowledge.

Just being able to regurgitate information on command is not learning/knowledge, however it is prized by some people and will get you through some types of exam.

You have to be able to use what you have learnt in different situations and challenge poorly constructed arguments with accurate information or find the information you need. Be able to look at accurate sources of information and work out how that fits in or contradicts your understanding of a subject.

OK so now I sound like a teacher

tresise's gear list:tresise's gear list
Nikon D800
RhysM
Senior MemberPosts: 1,888
Like?

I think it's quite obvious really, if you're in a situation and concentrating more on capturing it on camera than enjoying it then you are not paying full attention to the events and will inevitably miss things.

I often sit watching TV whilst at the same time browse the internet, i think i'm watching what is on the TV but often the show ends and i haven't actually got a clue what the show was about. It's because i was hearing the dialogue and watching the picture but not actually processing it.

We've all been in situations where we think we're listening to a boring presentation but in reality whilst we might be hearing what is said we're not necessarily listening!

Similarly many actors often say that when they finish filming a movie and watch it at a premiere they have a complete mental block and can't remember filming certain scenes and even forgot huge parts of the plot. They were concentrating on delivering their individual lines and didn't pay attention to the larger picture.

PenPix
Senior MemberPosts: 1,115
Like?
In reply to RhysM, Dec 12, 2013

Agree. You are giving too much attention to the Camera or purposely not observing the scene because you are relying on your camera.
I constantly remind myself to put down the camera and enjoy the moment

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads