E-M1 shutter shock...nope... Locked

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
Paul Auclair
Senior MemberPosts: 2,787Gear list
E-M1 shutter shock...nope...
7 months ago

shutter shock issue/non-issue has been nagging on me so i shot a series of 299 (total) images at 1/30, 1/60, 1/125, and, 1/250. you can see the set up.

IBIS OFF, S-AF, i-phone camera control. No anti-shake.

PL 25 1.4 (m4/3)

75 1.8

12-40(at 18mm and 40mm)

shots were at various Av from wide open to f/11(no i did not stop down past f/11).

I'm happy to report that I found not one blurred/suspect image...Sweet!!!

Also all the images were spot on AF which is really neat cuz i had AF target-small but when using i-phone it defaults to large(or larger) target.

Not scientific/controlled well enough for some...OK then...but this is as scientific I'm ever going to use my gear.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Paul

Paul Auclair's gear list:Paul Auclair's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +19 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rbmorse
Regular MemberPosts: 305Gear list
Re: E-M1 shutter shock...nope...
In reply to Paul Auclair, 7 months ago

No anti-shake.  Hummmmmm.    I wonder if the blurriness attributed to "shutter shock" might in reality be an artifact of anti-shake?  Wouldn't be the first time some fine engineering resulted in unintended consequences.

DonSC
Contributing MemberPosts: 861
Better you than me

That's a lot of shots!

I'm not surprised. On the occasions when people say they get shake (I won't even call it shock) with X camera using Y lens with shutter speed Z, and I've had X camera and Y lens, I've never been able to reproduce it when shooting at shutter speeds reasonably below, at, or reasonably above Z.

Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 27,225

In 2000 some odd exposures now, about 70% in the "shutter shock" zone, with all kinds of lenses and such fitted, I haven't seen a single instance of this alleged problem.

-- hide signature --
dingenus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,698

I see a flash on the camera. Did you shot with flash or without? With flash you will only see the exposure time of the flash. Maybe 1/8000 sec or so.

pdelux
Regular MemberPosts: 373Gear list

This has been the best setup to test for "shutter shock" i have seen anyone do.

I think it must be on a tripod, any handheld test have just too many variables.

In your case I am happy for you, but some other people may have shutter shock still, in that case maybe its a QC issue, or none at all. I would suggest them perform a test like yours on a tripod and not handheld.

pdelux's gear list:pdelux's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +3 more
Philly
Senior MemberPosts: 1,098
Have any interest in trying it with Oly 45mm f1.8 @ 1/100 sec?

I would be interested in your results with that lens.

I have Oly E-M1 and haven't seen any shutter shock, but I really haven't had a chance to shoot with the camera that often since I got it.  But I do notice shutter shock (the most) with the Oly 45mm f1.8 lens with both Oly E-PM1 and Panasonic G3 at 1/100 sec.  So if you're going to conduct anymore shutter shock tests, I would be interested in seeing what you observed with the 45mm @ 1/100sec.

LB1940
Regular MemberPosts: 103Gear list

No surprise there! If the camera is solidly fastened to a heavy tripod, the mass of the set is substantially increased and eventual shutter shock is minimized. To test, the camera should be handheld or suspended in a soft mount.

Luiz

-- hide signature --

LB1940

LB1940's gear list:LB1940's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
Stu 5
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,265
In reply to dingenus, 7 months ago

dingenus wrote:

I see a flash on the camera. Did you shot with flash or without? With flash you will only see the exposure time of the flash. Maybe 1/8000 sec or so.

If you did use flash then you will need to redo the whole test again.

berni29
Senior MemberPosts: 1,364Gear list
In reply to LB1940, 7 months ago

Hi

I did some totally unscientific hand held shots with an EM5 and only 45mm f1.8 at various shutter speeds and did not see any evidence of shutter shock so left it at that. I did have the 1\8 delay set though.
--
Berni29
EM-5, GM1 + Pana 12-32mm, 20mm, 14-45mm Oly 45mm, 50mm F2, (prev GH1, E30, E510, E1, E300)

berni29's gear list:berni29's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
photofan1986
Senior MemberPosts: 2,187Gear list
In reply to Stu 5, 7 months ago

Stu 5 wrote:

dingenus wrote:

If you did use flash then you will need to redo the whole test again.

+1!

photofan1986's gear list:photofan1986's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +7 more
XMN
XMN
Junior MemberPosts: 35Gear list
In reply to LB1940, 7 months ago

LB1940 wrote:

No surprise there! If the camera is solidly fastened to a heavy tripod, the mass of the set is substantially increased and eventual shutter shock is minimized. To test, the camera should be handheld or suspended in a soft mount.

Luiz

-- hide signature --

LB1940

Very true, to me it was so simple as this: went to my window and took several photos hand held of distant landscape with trees and foliage. Every photo under 1/320 had reduced sharpness to a degree, not the double image blur but the loss of fine detail. It´s only when one compares this images with the ones from 1/320 up that the problem becames obvious.

This was with the HLD-7. If i take off the HLD-7, then, many of those unsharp images become reallly blured (but still without double image).

Other thing i see is that the problem occurs less with pictures taken in portrait orientation.

I bought my 12-40 kit online at olympus shop (europe) and the guy there asked me to send the images to him so he can report the problem. I´m wainting for news now...

XMN's gear list:XMN's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +1 more
DimLS
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Re: E-M1 shutter shock...nope...YES at my EM1
In reply to photofan1986, 7 months ago

I have made my own tests ans shutter shock exists at my EM-1. At 320 its crystal clear. Worst is at 1/100, 1/125 and 1/160. I cannot right now comment on speeds a little lower than 1/100.

If the OP used the target shown on his post, i have a feeling that this target is not proper to show the shutter shock effect. Its much better to use smthg like a landscape with focus close to infinity. The reason is that the scene to be photographed must have detail that out-resolves the sensor.

Even if you see the shutter shock effect on a subject like a printed A4 with big/thick letters, you cannot judge its extent (acutally you can say its so little that it doesnt exists) because the shutter shock effect (image movement on the sensor) is small proportionally to the detail/size of the target dimensions.

On the other hand, if you photograph a landscape with trees, with good exposure, where the detail of the scene is pixel by pixel defined for an area,  then the same shutter shock would be MUCH more obvious than in the case with the A4 paper ans some not fine detailed stuff printed on it.

LB1940
Regular MemberPosts: 103Gear list
In reply to XMN, 7 months ago

XMN wrote:

LB1940 wrote:

Luiz

-- hide signature --

LB1940

Very true, to me it was so simple as this: went to my window and took several photos hand held of distant landscape with trees and foliage. Every photo under 1/320 had reduced sharpness to a degree, not the double image blur but the loss of fine detail. It´s only when one compares this images with the ones from 1/320 up that the problem becames obvious.

This was with the HLD-7. If i take off the HLD-7, then, many of those unsharp images become reallly blured (but still without double image).

Other thing i see is that the problem occurs less with pictures taken in portrait orientation.

I bought my 12-40 kit online at olympus shop (europe) and the guy there asked me to send the images to him so he can report the problem. I´m wainting for news now...

Yes, that makes good sense! Good observation, XMN. The HLD-7 adds mass then the acceleration of the shutter becomes less significative.

Luiz

-- hide signature --

LB1940

LB1940's gear list:LB1940's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
DimLS
Forum MemberPosts: 86

XMN wrote:

LB1940 wrote:

Luiz

-- hide signature --

LB1940

I have seen excactly the same issues. I also made the test with a manual focus lens and a novoflex adapter and i saw the same problem. I am convinced its shutter shock and i believe its an EM1 problem in general. I wonder is other m43 bodies have the same problem.

Paul Auclair
flash eliminates shutter shock...right on!!!
In reply to dingenus, 7 months ago

dingenus wrote:

that's good to know too..

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Paul

Paul Auclair
HLD7 elimates shutter shock...nice!!!

XMN wrote:

LB1940 wrote:

Luiz

-- hide signature --

LB1940

i always have grip(s) on all my cameras so this is good to know too.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Paul

Ranlee
Contributing MemberPosts: 666Gear list

XMN wrote:

...Very true, to me it was so simple as this: went to my window and took several photos hand held of distant landscape with trees and foliage. Every photo under 1/320 had reduced sharpness to a degree, not the double image blur but the loss of fine detail...

This is interesting. I am very new to m4/3 having just purchased the GX7. I presently have two lenses, the Pany 35-100 and 100-300. I noticed the mechanical shutter makes a lot of noise (sound) and reading about shutter shock I did a few tests of my own - similar to yours - out the window (it's damn cold where I am). Using the 100-300 hand held, at various focal lengths and with both mechanical and electronic shutter, I found than in EVERY case with that lens the e-shutter shots were crisp and detailed while the mech ones lacked the fine detail as you describe. I should note that it was a sunny day and all shots (as I recall) exceeded 1/500 of a second. There was no double image blur either, just lack of fine detail, and only noticeable on my monitor when viewed at at least 50% or above.

A similar test with the 35-100 did not yield the same problem, all examples being fairly equal. My conclusion is to always use the electronic shutter when using the 100-300 lens on relatively static subjects. These findings were new to me of course but perhaps most others on the forum already know this.

-- hide signature --

Randy

Ranlee's gear list:Ranlee's gear list
G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS
tray48
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
In reply to Ranlee, 7 months ago

I've had my E-M1 for about a month now.  After several hundred shots, at shutter speeds between 1/60 and 1/200 with various lenses I have not seen any indications of shutter shock whether hand held or tripod mounted.

tray48's gear list:tray48's gear list
Olympus E-M1
drj3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,116Gear list
In reply to Ranlee, 7 months ago

The following is from a previous post on the Olympus SLR Forum.  If you want to determine if your lens demonstrates shutter shock on your camera, then try a similar test.  Control both aperture and ISO.

I do believe that shutter shock (SS) affects some camera/lens combinations. However, I am personally confident that it is not a problem with my E-M1 and the 12-60 lens. The following is a brief description of my test for SS. Test pattern in CS6, lens set at 40mm, f4, hand held (three point - both hands - elbows on chair arms), EVF, auto focus, IBIS on IS1 auto, no settings to try to reduce SS, ISO held constant by varying brightness in CS6 and monitor brightness. It is critical for any test of SS to hold both aperture (lens sharpness & depth of field) and ISO (noise & resolution) constant. Multiple images at each shutter speed from 1/40 to 1/1000. All images are essentially identical. One half the attached photo was 1/125 and the other half was 1/500 both at 100%. The small lines you see in the lighter areas are the gaps between the pixels on my Samsung 27 inch PLS monitor (2560x1440). They look the same (and better before the Raw to Tiff to jpg conversion to upload to DPR) at all shutter speeds. I could have used any other shutter speeds for this comparison.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads