D7100 vs. D5300?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
CrabbyGuy
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
D7100 vs. D5300?
10 months ago

What are the benefits of the D7100 over the D5300, please?  Is the cheaper camera weather sealed?  Would the more expensive body somehow take better photos?  (I mainly shoot travel and landscapes pictures with occasional bird photography.)

Nikon D5300 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Gene J. Paull
Senior MemberPosts: 1,518Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 vs. D5300?
In reply to CrabbyGuy, 10 months ago

CrabbyGuy wrote:

What are the benefits of the D7100 over the D5300, please? Is the cheaper camera weather sealed? Would the more expensive body somehow take better photos? (I mainly shoot travel and landscapes pictures with occasional bird photography.)

Weather sealing, metering with AI/AIS lenses, autofocus with AF and AFD lenses, larger pentaprism viewfinder vs. smaller penatmirror viewfinder, more AF points, and more cross-type autofucus points, and stronger body to name a few advantages of the D7100. Depends if you need all that if it is an advantage or not.  In my case, it is, particularly the AF with AF/AFD lenses.

-- hide signature --

Gene in Deep South Texas
http://www.pbase.com/lahuasteca/

Gene J. Paull's gear list:Gene J. Paull's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D80 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gene J. Paull
Senior MemberPosts: 1,518Gear list
Like?

Advantage of D5300 - geotagging of images, and that's a big one.

-- hide signature --

Gene in Deep South Texas
http://www.pbase.com/lahuasteca/

Gene J. Paull's gear list:Gene J. Paull's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D80 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
Satik
Regular MemberPosts: 253
Like?

To be honest, if you ask question like this you don't need any DSLR. DSLR provides superior image quality, but for the price of more sophisticated controls and steep learning curve. Any modern DSLR will provide you excellent IQ, even D3100 can produce pictures you can print and hang on the wall without shame. The question is: "Are you able to make such pictures?"

Good luck.

Best,

Martin

CrabbyGuy wrote:

What are the benefits of the D7100 over the D5300, please? Is the cheaper camera weather sealed? Would the more expensive body somehow take better photos? (I mainly shoot travel and landscapes pictures with occasional bird photography.)

Stephen Brenner
Regular MemberPosts: 233
Like?
D5300 might have advantages in video...

Which you might not care about since you're focused on stills, but

The d5300 has a variangle lcd, can shoot 1080/60p, and is rumored to offer aperture change in liveview.

I would like to see those features in a D7100 camera that can use legacy lenses.

Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,557Gear list
Like?

The 5300 is smaller, lighter, LCD that swivels, in-camera geo, Wi-Fi, and better video.

The 7100 is more professional, better weather sealing, more pro features, and stronger build.

I have the 5300 because it is smaller and lighter. I used to have a D7000 and D610.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
CrabbyGuy
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
In reply to Steve Bingham, 10 months ago

Thanks, Steve.  I am still shooting with the D300 I bought five years ago and may keep it for use with older lenses, e.g., my Nikkor 70-180mm Micro, and the occasional situations where I want to have a bigger buffer on RAW images.  I would like to have a camera body that has both more resolution and is lighter.  I do wonder if the D5300's carbon fiber construction is strong enough for the knocks I occasionally give gear.

The smaller pentaprism in the D5300 is of some concern for brightness in viewing with my 67-year-old eyes, so I'd better take a look at the camera.

My guess, for what it's worth, is that the D7100 will be replaced in the spring by a D7200 (D7100 + features from D5300+ ? + carbon fiber body--maybe) and/or a D9000 (Thom Hogan's number) that will be much of the way toward a D400.  Now if Nikon would give us some new DX lenses!

Again, thanks.

BirgerH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,362Gear list
Like?

CrabbyGuy wrote:

Thanks, Steve. I am still shooting with the D300 I bought five years ago and may keep it for use with older lenses, e.g., my Nikkor 70-180mm Micro, and the occasional situations where I want to have a bigger buffer on RAW images. I would like to have a camera body that has both more resolution and is lighter. I do wonder if the D5300's carbon fiber construction is strong enough for the knocks I occasionally give gear.

The smaller pentaprism in the D5300 is of some concern for brightness in viewing with my 67-year-old eyes, so I'd better take a look at the camera.

The D5300 does not have a penta-prism. It has a Penta-mirror, which is not as light and clear as a prism.

My guess, for what it's worth, is that the D7100 will be replaced in the spring by a D7200 (D7100 + features from D5300+ ? + carbon fiber body--maybe) and/or a D9000 (Thom Hogan's number) that will be much of the way toward a D400. Now if Nikon would give us some new DX lenses!

Again, thanks.

BirgerH.

BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads