Anyone notice mushy/inconsistant buttons on their new A7/A7r?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Jeff31M
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
Anyone notice mushy/inconsistant buttons on their new A7/A7r?
8 months ago

Anyone noticing some inconsistancies and quality "clicks" on their new cameras?!  My tog wheel sounds different on the right side more then the left side and my menu button is quite a bit mushier then the C2 button which clicks nicely.  Not sure if quality control on that stuff happens, or if Im just being over sensitive to a 2000$ purchase.....

Dont get me wrong, Im not in a major fuss over it, but I like a nice click when I press a button.  Not a semi mushy "did it go all the way down?" feel.....

Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ZzzooM3
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone notice mushy/inconsistant buttons on their new A7/A7r?
In reply to Jeff31M, 8 months ago

Jeff31M wrote:

Anyone noticing some inconsistancies and quality "clicks" on their new cameras?!

No

ZzzooM3's gear list:ZzzooM3's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jkspepper
Regular MemberPosts: 387
Like?

Does it affect the way the button works?  No? then who cares...

Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,381
Like?
In reply to jkspepper, 8 months ago

No. On my second A7 unit and all buttons/dials work as intended and feel fine. The shutter release feels "hollow" but that's a matter of habit.

-- hide signature --

"If you don't have an expression, you don't have a shot" - Peter Hurley.
http://itsnotthecamera.wordpress.com/

sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,459
Like?
My A7r feels as it should

If yours doesn't, maybe it's time to call Sony.

eliehbk
Contributing MemberPosts: 533Gear list
Like?

Anyone noticing some inconsistancies and quality "clicks" on their new cameras?!  My tog wheel sounds different on the right side more then the left side and my menu button is quite a bit mushier then the C2 button which clicks nicely.  Not sure if quality control on that stuff happens, or if Im just being over sensitive to a 2000$ purchase.....

Dont get me wrong, Im not in a major fuss over it, but I like a nice click when I press a button.  Not a semi mushy "did it go all the way down?" feel.....

Yes, my second a7 ( I bought first one with kit and returned it) the delete button is mushy and doesn't click, you feel like it's not all the way protruding like the rest. I kept the camera some I didn't wanna go through a 3rd from B&H.

eliehbk's gear list:eliehbk's gear list
Sony RX1R
bwana4swahili
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?

Having come from a long line of Canon cameras I wouldn't know if a button is "mushy" or not BUT I like the feel of the buttons on the A7R; very easy to press w/o causing major vibration in the camera...

bwana4swahili's gear list:bwana4swahili's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7S Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +51 more
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,868Gear list
Like?
In reply to eliehbk, 8 months ago

eliehbk wrote:

Anyone noticing some inconsistancies and quality "clicks" on their new cameras?! My tog wheel sounds different on the right side more then the left side and my menu button is quite a bit mushier then the C2 button which clicks nicely. Not sure if quality control on that stuff happens, or if Im just being over sensitive to a 2000$ purchase.....

Dont get me wrong, Im not in a major fuss over it, but I like a nice click when I press a button. Not a semi mushy "did it go all the way down?" feel.....

Yes, my second a7 ( I bought first one with kit and returned it) the delete button is mushy and doesn't click, you feel like it's not all the way protruding like the rest. I kept the camera some I didn't wanna go through a 3rd from B&H.

Mine a7 is the same - all buttons click easily, but the delete button does not click. It looks like it should. It does however work reliably.

Menu and C2 button feel identical, not mushy.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,235Gear list
Like?

To me the A7 feels a bit like a $800 camera, but it performs nice.  All the buttons have fine feel, the delete key not as much.  Everything works as it should.  I am keeping it, but wasn't impressed with the quality for the price.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
kaku
Contributing MemberPosts: 611
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, 8 months ago

blue_skies wrote:

Mine a7 is the same - all buttons click easily, but the delete button does not click. It looks like it should. It does however work reliably.

Menu and C2 button feel identical, not mushy.

Mine is exactly like yours.. delete button not clicking and all.

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,868Gear list
Like?
In reply to viking79, 8 months ago

viking79 wrote:

To me the A7 feels a bit like a $800 camera, but it performs nice. All the buttons have fine feel, the delete key not as much. Everything works as it should. I am keeping it, but wasn't impressed with the quality for the price.

Eric

If I mount the 28-70 kit lens, the A7 feels light and plasticky.

If I mount a small E-mount lens, e.g. the E20, the A7 feels underwhelming.

If I mount a fast RF lenses, e.g. the CG45/2, the A7 feels sturdy and heavy.

If I mount a legacy SLR lens, e.g. the OM24/2.8, the A7 feels dated and odd.

My point is that the A7 feel is very much dominated by the lenses that you mate to it.

But if I grab the Nex-6 after the A7, the Nex-6 feels almost like a toy camera. It seems to be too light and missing many buttons, and has no buttons that 'stick out'.

You get a feel for it. I am hoping that all the buttons were designed for longevity, not for cuteness...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,235Gear list
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, 8 months ago

I think it will do fine. And just to clarify, when I said it feels like an $800 camera, I mean APS-C camera, so add $500 for it being full frame and I think it feels like a $1300 camera, but is about $1700. However, if someone was used to a NEX 7, I imagine it is pretty comparable to that for feel (don't know as I haven't held a 7 for over a year), and if you figure $500 extra for the sensor you are looking right at $1700 (based on retail of NEX 7).

The issue is the full frame doesn't add feel until you look at the resulting images  I agree with your comments about lenses too, it feels better with a better lens, although the kit is perfectly fine, I will mostly use older lenses on it I think.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Sush15
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?

There is a distinct difference between the shutter button of A7 vs A7R. All the other button feels about the same between the two. The delete button is definitely "softer" on both !!

Sush15's gear list:Sush15's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads