For those of you considering the Zuiko 12-60mm lens

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Loryh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,910
Like?
For those of you considering the Zuiko 12-60mm lens
8 months ago

Hi all;

I thought I would keep my 12-60mm lens to use with my E-M1, but decided to go with the M.12-40 instead.

If you have been thinking of adding this stellar lens to your collection, I've posted mine for sale on the for sale forum.

Regards,

Loryh

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
David Stinson
Forum MemberPosts: 89Gear list
Like?
Re: For those of you considering the Zuiko 12-60mm lens
In reply to Loryh, 8 months ago

I've listed mine for sale for the exact reason.

David Stinson's gear list:David Stinson's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
stiger
Contributing MemberPosts: 563Gear list
Like?

I thought they compared the 12-40 to the 14-35?

stiger's gear list:stiger's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 +1 more
Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,804Gear list
Like?

Loryh wrote:

Hi all;

I thought I would keep my 12-60mm lens to use with my E-M1, but decided to go with the M.12-40 instead.

If you have been thinking of adding this stellar lens to your collection, I've posted mine for sale on the for sale forum.

Regards,

Loryh

I have the ZD 12-60 and at the moment do not need another, and am certainly not parting with the copy I have.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
John Mason
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,630Gear list
Like?
The 12-40 is compared to the 14-35 yet...
In reply to stiger, 8 months ago

The 12-40 has a greater range than the 14-35 so while the 12-40 doesn't go as long as the 12-60, the quality is higher.  Selling the 12-60 now while it still has a lot of value will make room for the 'matching' 40-150 pro lens coming out.
If I had the 12-60, that'd be my strategy anyway.
The 14-35 SHG f2 was always the top gun for the normal zoom lens with the 12-60 a bit under the 14-35, yet often favored for it's greater zoom range.

The 12-40 is currently the best 'walkaround' lens for the new E series camera.
I'm still at the stage of comparing the 12-40 to my 14-35 to decide what I'm going to do.  My initial impression is the bokeh is quite a bit better on the 14-35, but I've got primes to yank out when I need that type of look.  The 12-40 is nearly 1/2 the weight and size and focuses much closer.  I took the 12-40 on a hike last weekend and was really impressed with the results.

So in my case the 14-35 might be going to fund the 40-150 that's supposed to come out in 2014.
That leaves my 7-14 hanging around a bit longer.  I guess the roadmap for the new 7-14 calls for it to be f2.8.  With the ability to make the 7-14 be less of a retrofocal design, I'm hoping the new 7-14 pro is going to be an instant classic.  I don't care for the Panasonic 7-14 as the careful comparisons I've seen to the Olympus show the Panasonic to be much less sharp towards the edges.
--

John Mason - Lafayette, IN
http://finestimages.zenfolio.com/favorites

John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
TheEye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,100
Like?

Loryh wrote:

Hi all;

Regards,

Loryh

I am considering the E-M1 mostly because I have the 12-60. I would be interested in any particular reasons why you have decided to get rid of the 12-60. Is its AF performance not to your liking on the E-M1?

Kameraphil
Regular MemberPosts: 432
Like?
In reply to TheEye, 8 months ago

Some people want to sell it may be because they want something smaller, like a native micro 4/3rd. That sometimes is my temptation anyway.

TheEye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,100
Like?
In reply to Kameraphil, 8 months ago

Kameraphil wrote:

Some people want to sell it may be because they want something smaller, like a native micro 4/3rd. That sometimes is my temptation anyway.

Thanks for the reply, Lory. I'm glad I don't have to speculate.

RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,066
Like?
I just had my 12-60 repaired

Loryh wrote:

Hi all;

Regards,

Loryh

I just had my 12-60 repaired.

It is and will remain my main workhorse on the FT cameras and they are not up for retirement yet!

Truth be told I had not yet really tried the 12-60 on my µFT camera (the E-M5) because I always found the 12-50 to be satisfactory (not wow! but good enough and quite versatile).  But with the darker winter months around, I may try it, because the Panasonic 14-50 was not a bad match ergonomically.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Michael99
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Re: The 12-40 is compared to the 14-35 yet...
In reply to John Mason, 8 months ago

Where have you seen or heard that the image quality of the 12-40 is better than the 12-60swd? Certainly not from what I have seen! Now the 14-35 is a different beast all together and will better either of the other two lenses in overall image quality.

Unless you are really really concerned with size, I would (and have) rent (borrow) and compare. From what I have seen and read the two lenses produce comparable image quality with the 12-60 slightly better at certain f stops and the 12-40 has the advantage of f/2.0 throughout it's entire range. But then again, one also should take into account the extra reach available when using the 12-60.

For me, as a walking around lens the 12-60swd is always mounted on my E-M1. If I think I might need better low light capabilities, the Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 does the job pretty well and fits in my pocket.

citizenlouie
Contributing MemberPosts: 670Gear list
Like?
In reply to stiger, 8 months ago

stiger wrote:

I thought they compared the 12-40 to the 14-35?

I think most people who have both 12-40mm and 12-60mm SWD and still favors 12-40mm is because it's compact, not because it's better than 12-60mm SWD.  I am in the process of buying back 12-40mm for sales discount reason.  While I fully aware it's not the same league as 12-60mm SWD (12-60mm SWD is better optically corrected, much less CA, if any CA at all under normal circumstance), but for m4/3 cameras, it's so far the best native zoom yet.  If you can tolerate just a tad less performance than 12-60mm SWD (and don't mind software correction), 12-40mm has a lot to go for.

People who compare 14-35mm SWD to 12-40mm probably have never used a SHG before, and only compare them due to both are constant aperture lenses, which of course, tell you nothing about IQ.  IQ wise, 12-40mm is slightly less than 12-60mm (both are very great), and of course, both are below 14-35mm SWD.  Olympus said 12-40mm is comparable to HG, and the all IQ comparisons I've seen prove that.

citizenlouie's gear list:citizenlouie's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +4 more
Sierra Dave
Regular MemberPosts: 447Gear list
Like?
Re: I just had my 12-60 repaired
In reply to RoelHendrickx, 8 months ago

RoelHendrickx wrote:

I just had my 12-60 repaired.

It is and will remain my main workhorse on the FT cameras and they are not up for retirement yet!

Truth be told I had not yet really tried the 12-60 on my µFT camera (the E-M5) because I always found the 12-50 to be satisfactory (not wow! but good enough and quite versatile). But with the darker winter months around, I may try it, because the Panasonic 14-50 was not a bad match ergonomically.

E-M5 and the 12-60 in low light?  Sounds like a recipe for failing to lock focus.  The only m4/3 body either of those lenses has a chance of focusing on in low light is the E-M1.  Still not perfect, but at least marginally competent.

Sierra Dave's gear list:Sierra Dave's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,136Gear list
Like?
For those of you considering 4/3 HG and SHG lenses

I'm glad to see you're promoting your thread in the For Sale forum here on Olympus SLR Talk. The 12-60 is a fine lens that should out-perform any m4/3 standard zoom lens available today.

I don't have a 12-60 but I do have an Olympus E-5 and 9 High Grade and Super High Grade lenses, plus accessories for the camera and padded lenses pouches listed in the For Sale forum.

Photos of all gear with captions and prices can be found here:

http://whaleshark.smugmug.com/Camera/Olympus

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads