Canon 70D focus's faster and better then Canon 7D

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
digitalcuriosity
Contributing MemberPosts: 761
Like?
Canon 70D focus's faster and better then Canon 7D
9 months ago

I have noticed my new 70D will focus faster, and does a better job of getting an item in focus then my 7D. I am going to do more testing in both poor lighting and good lighting conditions.

Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jerry-astro
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,937Gear list
Like?
And this is a surprise?
In reply to digitalcuriosity, 9 months ago

digitalcuriosity wrote:

I have noticed my new 70D will focus faster, and does a better job of getting an item in focus then my 7D. I am going to do more testing in both poor lighting and good lighting conditions.

Umm, do you think with Canon having 4 years or so to refine the 7D AF system that this is in any way surprising?

I'm sure the results will be interesting, but I'd be pretty amazed if the 70D's focus speed and/or accuracy didn't improve somewhat over the 7D.  In fact it would be rather disappointing given the amount of time Canon has had to tweak it.

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,519Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 70D focus's faster and better then Canon 7D

digitalcuriosity wrote:

The 70D's AF really has to be experienced to be believed.  I'm constantly amazed by mine.

It doesn't even seem to be in the same family tree compared to those that came before.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
digitalcuriosity
Like?
In reply to R2D2, 9 months ago

I have been reading where some have sold their 7Ds after using a 70D. I am thinking there has to be something too it.

j2l3m7
Senior MemberPosts: 3,492Gear list
Like?
In reply to R2D2, 9 months ago

"experienced to be believed" yes I agree.  I have photographed everything in my place twice, I can not wait to get and try it out.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for posting, have a great day.
John

j2l3m7's gear list:j2l3m7's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +17 more
Dmatter
Regular MemberPosts: 189
Like?
In reply to j2l3m7, 9 months ago

The focusing algorithm changed.

rickyred
Regular MemberPosts: 373Gear list
Like?

I have a factory reman 7D, about six months now. With a quality lens like the 70-200 F4 IS. It has to be one of the fastest focusing cameras I have ever used. I still think that single point AF with expansion does not work for close in work. I do not use this setting and get a high rate of keepers. The 70D would have to almost have instant foucus, micro seconds in fact. BIFS with the 7D set on AI servo has to be the most gratifining part of this camera. I can swing around and capture a eagle grabing a salmon from the water and be in perfect focus. I am very happy Canon carried this over to the 70D. I have a question. using the 18-135 STM set to manual, pressing the focus button half way, the lens will still focus. I like this in a way, in the dark, if there is any light at all, the camera will focus. It might take a second but the pictures are in focused. It seems to use the live view focus. Has ant one experienced this? 7D 70D

rickyred's gear list:rickyred's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 35-350mm f/3.5-5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Sigma 1.4x EX DG Tele Converter +1 more
riknash
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,332Gear list
Like?
In reply to rickyred, 9 months ago

I have a factory reman 7D, about six months now. With a quality lens like the 70-200 F4 IS. It has to be one of the fastest focusing cameras I have ever used. I still think that single point AF with expansion does not work for close in work. I do not use this setting and get a high rate of keepers. The 70D would have to almost have instant foucus, micro seconds in fact. BIFS with the 7D set on AI servo has to be the most gratifining part of this camera. I can swing around and capture a eagle grabing a salmon from the water and be in perfect focus. I am very happy Canon carried this over to the 70D. I have a question. using the 18-135 STM set to manual, pressing the focus button half way, the lens will still focus. I like this in a way, in the dark, if there is any light at all, the camera will focus. It might take a second but the pictures are in focused. It seems to use the live view focus. Has ant one experienced this? 7D 70D

It's so interesting to read about folks who claim the 7D doesnt focus as well as the 70D. I'm now waiting for the 7D supporters to jump in and claim how fantastic it is.
The 7D is a machine with AF deficiencies that should have been addressed in a new version. Sadly that has not happened and a newer model one step down already shows it's superiority with no 7D replacement in sight through official Canon sources. Although I continue to use the 7D, it would be much appreciated if Canon's development and marketing teams could get their act together and bring the 7D Mk II to fruition.

riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 5D Mark III HTC One
jwhphotos
Regular MemberPosts: 336
Like?

I'm glad you started this thread. I have both, the 7d and the 70d and, my impressions are like yours, the 70d focuses lightning fast and in my belief, faster than my 7d.

-- hide signature --

John

digitalcuriosity
Like?
In reply to jwhphotos, 9 months ago

jwhphotos wrote:

I'm glad you started this thread. I have both, the 7d and the 70d and, my impressions are like yours, the 70d focuses lightning fast and in my belief, faster than my 7d.

-- hide signature --

John

What noticed today is as I press the shutter on my 7D 1/2 way, and I wait and wait I notice it going through cycles of trying to focus, before I see the green square.

This does not happen with my 70D, you 1/2 press it's shutter button it quickly gives the green squares.

Alastair Norcross
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,040Gear list
Like?

digitalcuriosity wrote:

jwhphotos wrote:

-- hide signature --

John

What noticed today is as I press the shutter on my 7D 1/2 way, and I wait and wait I notice it going through cycles of trying to focus, before I see the green square.

This does not happen with my 70D, you 1/2 press it's shutter button it quickly gives the green squares.

No waiting with my 7D. It's instantaneous (as far as I can tell). You might want to have your 7D checked out. Mine is really fast and accurate. Is it perfect? No. Is the 70D even better? I would hope so, after 4 years of working on the same focus system. I still think it's a real shame that Canon left expansion and spot focus off the 70D. Expansion is my most used mode.

-- hide signature --

Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD450 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Canon PowerShot S45 Pentax Optio W60 +17 more
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,875Gear list
Like?

I would hope that in 4 years Canon could improve on the AF system.  I expect high ISO noise is a bit better as well.  Still, I'm going to wait a bit to see if a 7D successor is announced.  I'm using a 50D as a backup, but if no 7D successor is forthcoming the 70D would make an even better second body; in fact it will be better at many things other than sheer speed.  The 7D has a tougher build, but that's not something that would stop me from using the 70D.

Mark

n0tinus3
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?

My 70D's focus is worse than my 450D's... The center AF Sensor doesn't work correctly with big appertures (f1.4-2.5). Many users in Germany are complaining about this problem too. I made some testing to show the issue.

In the first column I focused with center AF Sensor, in the second with the bottom one and in the third with my 450D. The result is not acceptable for me. Funny thing it appears only with Center AF, big appertures and NO liveview!
Ofcourse all shots were made with same settings.

70D focus issue

crazybadger
Senior MemberPosts: 1,301Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alastair Norcross, 9 months ago

Alastair Norcross wrote:

digitalcuriosity wrote:

jwhphotos wrote:

-- hide signature --

John

No waiting with my 7D. It's instantaneous (as far as I can tell). You might want to have your 7D checked out. Mine is really fast and accurate. Is it perfect? No. Is the 70D even better? I would hope so, after 4 years of working on the same focus system. I still think it's a real shame that Canon left expansion and spot focus off the 70D. Expansion is my most used mode.

-- hide signature --

Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Like you I like my 7D and find it fast, but I have to be honest and say that my 6D seems to be more consistent than my 7D when using center point (which I shoot most often). I was recently going through a big pile of photos from an airshow where I was shooting with the 7D and 6D, and while I don't feel confident enough to comment on "speed of focus" (both were fast), I do feel pretty comfortable saying that I had more keepers from the 6D. Of course, that's just in one focus mode (center point), and the 7D fires off a much greater number of shots, but overall I find the 6D just that little bit more consistent. So I really wouldn't be surprised if the newer 70D was also that little bit more consistent. But then again as others have mentioned canon have had some time to tweak and tinker with their focussing systems so I don't find it a big surprise. I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do with a 7DII if it ever arrives.

R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,519Gear list
Like?
In reply to crazybadger, 9 months ago

crazybadger wrote:

Like you I like my 7D and find it fast, but I have to be honest and say that my 6D seems to be more consistent than my 7D when using center point (which I shoot most often).

I've borrowed the 6D a couple of times now (good friend lets me swap with her), and I've found the AF to be very consistent also (along the lines of my T4i).  Canon made some big changes to their AF a couple of years back, and these newer cameras really show it.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do with a 7DII if it ever arrives.

The outlook for the 7DII is very bright IMHO.  It's gonna be absolutely killer AF-wise.

The 70D is so good right now, that an up-specced 7DII is sure to make a LOT of people very very happy.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
Jerry-astro
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,937Gear list
Like?
You forgot to mention something...
In reply to n0tinus3, 9 months ago

n0tinus3 wrote:

My 70D's focus is worse than my 450D's... The center AF Sensor doesn't work correctly with big appertures (f1.4-2.5). Many users in Germany are complaining about this problem too. I made some testing to show the issue.

In the first column I focused with center AF Sensor, in the second with the bottom one and in the third with my 450D. The result is not acceptable for me. Funny thing it appears only with Center AF, big appertures and NO liveview!

70D focus issue

What you failed to mention here is the fact that you did your testing with a very cheap lens, known to be very iffy for focusing at wide apertures, the "nifty fifty" 50mm f/1.8.  Before you start drawing major conclusions about the 70D's focus accuracy, you need to test with other better lenses at wide apertures and see if you see similar issues.  As others have already told you, this lens lacks some of the sophistication of other primes and zooms and is more prone to missed focus when DOF is very thin, i.e. at wide apertures.

BTW, the fact that the issue shows up with non live view shots shouldn't be a surprise at all.  Live View uses contrast detect focus, which is inherently more accurate since it uses the image from the sensor itself to establish focus.  If you must use wide apertures with this lens, try taking the shots with LV and I suspect you will see razor sharp images.  Possibly not the best solution, but unless you're willing to upgrade to a decent prime, you will have to live with it.  Most likely it is NOT an issue with the camera.

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
digitalcuriosity
Like?
Re: You forgot to mention something...
In reply to Jerry-astro, 9 months ago

Jerry-astro wrote:

n0tinus3 wrote:

70D focus issue

What you failed to mention here is the fact that you did your testing with a very cheap lens, known to be very iffy for focusing at wide apertures, the "nifty fifty" 50mm f/1.8. Before you start drawing major conclusions about the 70D's focus accuracy, you need to test with other better lenses at wide apertures and see if you see similar issues. As others have already told you, this lens lacks some of the sophistication of other primes and zooms and is more prone to missed focus when DOF is very thin, i.e. at wide apertures.

BTW, the fact that the issue shows up with non live view shots shouldn't be a surprise at all. Live View uses contrast detect focus, which is inherently more accurate since it uses the image from the sensor itself to establish focus. If you must use wide apertures with this lens, try taking the shots with LV and I suspect you will see razor sharp images. Possibly not the best solution, but unless you're willing to upgrade to a decent prime, you will have to live with it. Most likely it is NOT an issue with the camera.

Very good reply and advice.

rickyred
Regular MemberPosts: 373Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alastair Norcross, 9 months ago

I agree with you my 7D AF is as lighting fast. I dont see how it could be any faster. R.J

rickyred's gear list:rickyred's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 35-350mm f/3.5-5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Sigma 1.4x EX DG Tele Converter +1 more
Dmatter
Regular MemberPosts: 189
Like?
In reply to rickyred, 9 months ago

Yep, confirmed it too. Especially in low light. I really struggled with 7D focus in low light - too much off-focus images. Now a lot more better focused images. And focus confirmation happened faster than on 7D. Not mentioning way better noise structure and usable ISO range.

Tuckerpup
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?

Actually, judging by the history of posts on this forum, the 7D has always been a bit soft. 

And let it  begin...............Now.

Tuckerpup's gear list:Tuckerpup's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads