Imaging Resources Camera of the year is....

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
SonyA7r
Forum MemberPosts: 99
Like?
Imaging Resources Camera of the year is....
10 months ago

A7r

" The duo share much of their design and together they completely demolish the status quo. We came very close to calling it a tie, but in the end, the Sony A7R's images swung it. With the higher-resolution sensor of the pair, the A7R's photos show razor-sharp detail comparable to a medium-format camera. Yet this is no medium-format body: along with its sibling, the Sony A7R is the smallest full-frame, fully-featured interchangeable lens camera on the market by a country mile."

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2013/12/11/13-best-cameras-for-2013-ir-cameras-and-lenses-of-the-year

and look who is next...

Well done Sony. Another banner year and can't wait for more next year....

Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,700
Like?
Re: Imaging Resources Camera of the year is....
In reply to SonyA7r, 10 months ago

Definitely the biggest innovation of the year, if not to say, of the decade. The FF race has started, no doubt other companies will follow the suit. Expect every company jumping on the bandwagon. Canon/Nikon/Pentax are going to kill their DSLR cash cows, that's the only way for them to succeed in the future. Sony has a first-mover advantage now, but because FF compact mirrorless have the potential to capture the whole market occupied now by FF and crop sensors, mirrorless and DSLRs, the competition will likely be brutal. The next 5 years promise to be very interesting. Good for consumers, the prices are going to fall and the features and performance are going to improve.

-- hide signature --

There is nothing more unequal than the equal treatment of unequal people. -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chanthis
Regular MemberPosts: 182
Like?
Whoopee!

It's an underwhelming camera, short on substance, long on hype. Small....'cept the lenses are large... lightweight and mobile....'cept the cheapest budget DSLR kills it in autofocus speed and tracking accuracy....  A great new full-frame system....  'cept it's not a system. It's *A* camera, and an underwhelming one at that.

edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?
Re: Whoopee!
In reply to Chanthis, 10 months ago

Chanthis wrote:

.. A great new full-frame system.... 'cept it's not a system. It's *A* camera, and an underwhelming one at that.

perhaps thats why its "camera of the year" and not "system of the year"

for many people the camera and a prime or two is all they will ever want - - they don't need some huge system with hundreds of lenses - - Heck for decades now the standard leica kit would be a body with a 35mm, 50mm and 90mm lens most people never need more

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Teski
Forum ProPosts: 13,049Gear list
Like?

Chanthis wrote:

It's an underwhelming camera, short on substance, long on hype. Small....'cept the lenses are large... lightweight and mobile....'cept the cheapest budget DSLR kills it in autofocus speed and tracking accuracy.... A great new full-frame system.... 'cept it's not a system. It's *A* camera, and an underwhelming one at that.

I always love these productive replies coming from someone who doesn't have one, nor a need for this camera but feels the need to rip it.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Teski

Teski's gear list:Teski's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Canon EOS-1D X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +7 more
Lightshow
Senior MemberPosts: 2,529Gear list
Like?

Chanthis wrote:

It's an underwhelming camera, short on substance, long on hype. Small....'cept the lenses are large... lightweight and mobile....'cept the cheapest budget DSLR kills it in autofocus speed and tracking accuracy.... A great new full-frame system.... 'cept it's not a system. It's *A* camera, and an underwhelming one at that.

Do you feel better about your camera now?

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
shaolin95
Senior MemberPosts: 1,098Gear list
Like?

Chanthis wrote:

short on substance

That is the perfect statement about your stupid post. Great job!

shaolin95's gear list:shaolin95's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Xperia Z Ultra +11 more
sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,459
Like?

Chanthis wrote:

It's an underwhelming camera, short on substance, long on hype.

Whoopee, an another underwhelming post from you.

Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,383
Like?
In reply to sroute, 10 months ago

I've had this camera for over a week now.

Even though I certainly wouldn't rip it like the above poster did, I do find that their is hype, and I do find it lacking some substance. I've had FF cameras before (Canon 5D, Nikon D700) and they always had something significantly better in IQ than their APS-C counterparts. I'm failing to see the wow factor from the A7's files right now. There is an overall softness I can't seem to get rid of, and globally I am a little underwhelmed. Yes, the DR is SPECTACULAR, and the high ISO noise performance is pretty sweet (not D600 good, but good). But I'm not getting that kick in the face my D700 images had, for instance.

I'm on the fence as to whether of not keep it, I give in another two weeks and will try to make an educated decision, but so far it's the least impressive FF I've tried, for output. The A7R might be a totally different animal, but I won't put up with even worse shutter sound/feel and even slower AF.

-- hide signature --

"If you don't have an expression, you don't have a shot" - Peter Hurley.
http://itsnotthecamera.wordpress.com/

120 to 35
Contributing MemberPosts: 970
Like?
In reply to Marla2008, 10 months ago

Marla2008 wrote:

There is an overall softness I can't seem to get rid of, and globally I am a little underwhelmed. Yes, the DR is SPECTACULAR, and the high ISO noise performance is pretty sweet (not D600 good, but good). But I'm not getting that kick in the face my D700 images had, for instance.

Could you find out if the softness is caused by the lens, the sensor or the image processor. I saw a similar remark in an early preview of the A7 and A7r but there was no further detail.

artlmntl
Contributing MemberPosts: 931
Like?

Chanthis wrote:

But for the moment, it has the momentum. All the big review sites have lavished it with praise. And Sony is putting some marketing muscle behind it. January 2014 issue of Popular Photography calls the A7r a game changer, named it camera of the year. The issue also includes a 2-page ad spread on some party Sony has with the magazine. The January issue also apparently comes with a smaller magazine called Imaging Edge, which is basically a 24-page Sony ad with a Brian Smith photo of Samuel Jackson on the cover. I'd say Brian Smith is getting a pretty big push out of this, too - Good for him!

I think Sony is placing a bet. That bet is, the A7r doesn't need to be a system. Because of its adaptability, its outstanding IQ, and its obvious capacity for many kinds of photography (maybe not sports), you can buy one and make it part of your system, regardless of what else you shoot.

I think Sony may win that bet.

-- hide signature --

Hunter

LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,534
Like?

SonyA7r wrote:

A7r

" The duo share much of their design and together they completely demolish the status quo. We came very close to calling it a tie, but in the end, the Sony A7R's images swung it. With the higher-resolution sensor of the pair, the A7R's photos show razor-sharp detail comparable to a medium-format camera. Yet this is no medium-format body: along with its sibling, the Sony A7R is the smallest full-frame, fully-featured interchangeable lens camera on the market by a country mile."

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2013/12/11/13-best-cameras-for-2013-ir-cameras-and-lenses-of-the-year

and look who is next...

I agree well done Sony...but it does say best cameras and lens of the year...how about best cameras with "a" lens of the year?

Lots of great cameras for sure, we are fortunate...Camera of the Year, Best Professional Camera: Olympus E-M1:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2013/12/11/cameras-of-the-year-2013-best-enthusiast-and-pro-cameras-and-lenses#best-procam

Glad they are both doing well...can't wait to see what Sony comes out with next!

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,841Gear list
Like?

Marla2008 wrote:

Even though I certainly wouldn't rip it like the above poster did, I do find that their is hype, and I do find it lacking some substance. I've had FF cameras before (Canon 5D, Nikon D700) and they always had something significantly better in IQ than their APS-C counterparts. I'm failing to see the wow factor from the A7's files right now. There is an overall softness I can't seem to get rid of, and globally I am a little underwhelmed. Yes, the DR is SPECTACULAR, and the high ISO noise performance is pretty sweet (not D600 good, but good). But I'm not getting that kick in the face my D700 images had, for instance.

I'm on the fence as to whether of not keep it, I give in another two weeks and will try to make an educated decision, but so far it's the least impressive FF I've tried, for output. The A7R might be a totally different animal, but I won't put up with even worse shutter sound/feel and even slower AF.

Claire I think that we need to get the root of your problem with image softness. Do you have any FF E-mount lenses or are all your problems with legacy lenses used with an adapter ?

Are you manually focussing using FP & is it landscape rather than close-ups which are noticeably soft ? Does camera shake play any part in this issue ? Is it inconsistency or are all the images soft ? Is the problem mainly  associated with Jpegs or are RAWs equally bad ? Are the originals poor or just the web-sized versions ? What kind of shooting conditions are you using ,sunny , flat light , low light or what ?

LTZ470
Like?

Marla2008 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Hi Marla,

I keep the RX1 in camera sharpening set to +2 ALL the time rarely go to +1...shooting jpegs...A7 probably requires this as well...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,572Gear list
Like?

Marla2008 wrote:

-- hide signature --

I really think the best thing you can do is actually to return it like you did with your first and second NEX-7s (which you now hold up as the gold standard even though I remember you shortly jumping off to Fuji and didn't you also go try the OMD for a while?).  Without the A7, you'll objectively judge what there is about the camera you will miss and what it provides.  If you find after a month you can live without it, you need never look back - the NEX-7 is perfect for you and your wallet will thank you.  If you can't then you will learn to appreciate what it does offer instead of what you wish it did.  I think the problem with your reviews is you are always trying to compare non-overlapping feature sets and always underwhelmed as a result... even when nearly all the cameras you play with are all spectacularly good - if you could come to love the 3N, I don't see why you have much more trouble coming to terms with the A7 - except for the fact that your expectations are different, and that's really where your problems lie.

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
zink
Regular MemberPosts: 493Gear list
Like?
In reply to LTZ470, 10 months ago

LTZ470 wrote:

SonyA7r wrote:

A7r

" The duo share much of their design and together they completely **demolish** the status quo. We came very close to calling it a tie, but in the end, the Sony A7R's images swung it. With the higher-resolution sensor of the pair, the A7R's photos show razor-sharp detail comparable to a medium-format camera. Yet this is no medium-format body: along with its sibling, the Sony A7R is the smallest full-frame, fully-featured interchangeable lens camera on the market by a country mile."

and look who is next...

I agree well done Sony...but it does say best cameras and lens of the year...how about best cameras with "a" lens of the year?

Lots of great cameras for sure, we are fortunate...Camera of the Year, Best Professional Camera: Olympus E-M1.

Just wondering how many pro's use a m4/3 camera...

zink's gear list:zink's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 +10 more
zink
Regular MemberPosts: 493Gear list
Like?

SonyA7r wrote:

A7r

and look who is next...

This camera deserves it. Not so much a hype. Just a splendid camera. I am really tempted to buy one to use it with some great OM lenses.

zink's gear list:zink's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 +10 more
LTZ470
Like?
In reply to zink, 10 months ago

zink wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

SonyA7r wrote:

A7r

" The duo share much of their design and together they completely **demolish** the status quo. We came very close to calling it a tie, but in the end, the Sony A7R's images swung it. With the higher-resolution sensor of the pair, the A7R's photos show razor-sharp detail comparable to a medium-format camera. Yet this is no medium-format body: along with its sibling, the Sony A7R is the smallest full-frame, fully-featured interchangeable lens camera on the market by a country mile."

and look who is next...

Lots of great cameras for sure, we are fortunate...Camera of the Year, Best Professional Camera: Olympus E-M1.

Just wondering how many pro's use a m4/3 camera...

Many more than one would think...would this also validate or invalidate the A7's being chosen buy the same Reviewer as Cameras of the Year?

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,904
Like?

Marla2008 wrote:

At the end of the day I'm wondering if the problem is simply your expectations.   If you were expecting the A7 to have the same advantage over the NEX 7 that the D700 had over the D300 or D90 then your expectations are off IMO.  The gap between APS-C and FF has clearly narrowed since then.

SonyA7r
Forum MemberPosts: 99
Like?

Marla2008 wrote:

-- hide signature --

what lens are you using? I have A7 with Sony 50 1.4 and it is sharp!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads