What The 'L' ...

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Lloydy
Forum ProPosts: 18,867Gear list
Like?
What The 'L' ...
10 months ago

... Interesting seeing the age old debate rage.

However, if you are interested, I only ever shoot L size and am very happy with the results 

Examples here :

HS50 EXR

HS30 EXR

X-E1

XF1

XF1 Chinatown

XF1 Fresh Produce

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Dave

Elyharbour
Contributing MemberPosts: 649Gear list
Like?
Re: What The 'L' ...
In reply to Lloydy, 10 months ago

Or of course we could all go SONY and get in-camera multiframe HDR at high res !! Whoops sorry, I'm blacklisted now 

But seriously, I'm inclined to agree with you for everyday shooting. What I still have to find out for myself is whether pulling back the highlights in PP can match the EXR DR mode. Right now I still favour the latter for high DR scenes, but I'm just at the start of my EXR journey so much to do.

Elyharbour's gear list:Elyharbour's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X20 Sony SLT-A57 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DickyAus
Contributing MemberPosts: 826Gear list
Like?
In reply to Elyharbour, 10 months ago

Elyharbour wrote:

Or of course we could all go SONY and get in-camera multiframe HDR at high res !! Whoops sorry, I'm blacklisted now

But seriously, I'm inclined to agree with you for everyday shooting. What I still have to find out for myself is whether pulling back the highlights in PP can match the EXR DR mode. Right now I still favour the latter for high DR scenes, but I'm just at the start of my EXR journey so much to do.

I will keep trying both for a while; I only found out from Orion's thread how to lock in 8MP so I will give it a fair go, I still can't make up my mind. I have a lot to learn about PP and RAW though - I find it hard to improve on Fuji's Jpegs. I also have little success with high ISO and get few keepers above 400.

EXR JPG 16:9 M re-sized only.

PP from RAW of the above image. I wanted to retain the blue sky but couldn't quite get it right.

ISO 3200 from RAW - just plain ugly!

Onward, onward, ever onward!

DickyAus's gear list:DickyAus's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
DickyAus
Contributing MemberPosts: 826Gear list
Like?

Lloydy wrote:

However, if you are interested, I only ever shoot L size and am very happy with the results

Examples here :

HS50 EXR

HS30 EXR

X-E1

XF1

XF1 Chinatown

XF1 Fresh Produce

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Dave

Enjoyed your galleries  - some beautiful photos Dave, thanks for sharing. It looks like we will be touring Myanmar and Cambodia in March so I will look forward to browsing some street markets with the HS50.

Best regards,

Dicky.

DickyAus's gear list:DickyAus's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Elyharbour
Contributing MemberPosts: 649Gear list
Like?
In reply to DickyAus, 10 months ago

DickyAus wrote:

I will keep trying both for a while; I only found out from Orion's thread how to lock in 8MP so I will give it a fair go, I still can't make up my mind. I have a lot to learn about PP and RAW though - I find it hard to improve on Fuji's Jpegs. I also have little success with high ISO and get few keepers above 400.

There's the problem - RAW on 2/3 EXR sensor files. I'm reasonably proficient at PP in RAW with Sony and X-Trans (X20) files, but it's hard enough to match the OOC JPEGs on the latter, with the XF1 EXR sensor it's so far proved impossible. So, any pulling back of the HLs will have to be in JPEG right now...and that's why I'll default to EXR DR 6MP mode for the time being for high DR scenes.

However, I find my XF1 images rather soft, and HR mode is better, so I'm going to run with this  for regular low DR scenes and shift to EXR DR for the more difficult ones. I really don't feel a "one size fits all" policy is the best for me, at least not until I figure-out how to process the RAWs. Just my approach - I'm not suggesting this is "right way" for everybody.

Elyharbour's gear list:Elyharbour's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X20 Sony SLT-A57 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
Lloydy
Like?
Elyharbour ...
In reply to Elyharbour, 10 months ago

... I've had EXR cameras for more than four years. The first was the F200 EXR purchased in July 2009. I also have the HS30 EXR, HS50 EXR, XF1 and X-E1.

I've experimented with all the settings and now simply use L size, Astia, Raw+Jpeg, DR200%, -0.3EV, ISO Auto on them all. And, AF Tracking if the camera has it.

This combination gives excellent DR latitude, good colour and fast and accurate focusing. It is simple and provides the required latitude in almost all shooting situations.

That being said, use the settings you feel comfortable with and simply enjoy your camera.

Elyharbour wrote:

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Dave

Me Tarzan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,392Gear list
Like?

Dave, I had to chuckle over the title of your thread. 'what the l'. lol

-- hide signature --

Frank

Lloydy
Like?
Dicky ...
In reply to DickyAus, 10 months ago

... Thanks for the comment. Hope you really enjoy your trip.

DickyAus wrote:

Lloydy wrote:

Examples here :

HS50 EXR

HS30 EXR

X-E1

XF1

XF1 Chinatown

XF1 Fresh Produce

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Dave

Enjoyed your galleries - some beautiful photos Dave, thanks for sharing. It looks like we will be touring Myanmar and Cambodia in March so I will look forward to browsing some street markets with the HS50.

Best regards,

Dicky.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Dave

jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?

Lloydy wrote:

Examples here :

HS50 EXR

HS30 EXR

X-E1

XF1

XF1 Chinatown

XF1 Fresh Produce

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Dave

Fantastic collection Dave. And yes, "What the 'L'" to those who are not using LSize.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Lloydy
Like?
Frank ...
In reply to Me Tarzan, 10 months ago

... Levity is good for the soul 

Me Tarzan wrote:

Dave, I had to chuckle over the title of your thread. 'what the l'. lol

-- hide signature --

Frank

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Dave

Lloydy
Like?
Joms ...
In reply to jcmarfilph, 10 months ago

... Thanks for the comments.

jcmarfilph wrote:

Lloydy wrote:

Examples here :

HS50 EXR

HS30 EXR

X-E1

XF1

XF1 Chinatown

XF1 Fresh Produce

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Dave

Fantastic collection Dave. And yes, "What the 'L'" to those who are not using LSize.

-=[ Joms ]=-

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Dave

KJaay
Senior MemberPosts: 3,237Gear list
Like?

You sure no how to use that  L  on more one cam, some beautiful images!

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Canon EOS 450D
Lloydy
Like?
KJ ...
In reply to KJaay, 10 months ago

... Many thanks for your comment. Pleased you liked them.

KJaay wrote:

You sure no how to use that L on more one cam, some beautiful images!

-- hide signature --

KJ

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Dave

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads