Need help: EM1 vs a7

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
bcs732
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Need help: EM1 vs a7
7 months ago

I shoot mainly during travel and family gatherings which involve a lot of indoor low light settings. Definitely not a pro but i would like to take really good pictures with bokeh for a professional touch.

I own a Nikon D90 which this new camera will replace. Looking for a smaller more portable camera that can take excellent low light pictures during travel.

I'm narrowing my choices between these 2 cameras.

1) Olympus EM1 with 12-40 F2.8

2) Sony a7 with 24-70 F4.0 (Lens availability on Feb 2014)

From my research with regards to sensor size and aperture, i discovered that a micro four thirds sensor with F2.0 lens is equivalent to full frame sensor with F4.0 lens. Is this correct?

This means the Sony a7 with 24-70 F4.0 will have better low light capability than the Olympus EM1 with 12-40 F2.8 lens.

Please note that I do plan to buy prime lenses but i prefer to decide on standard zoom lenses' capability for its flexibility during travel.

**I also posted this same thread in the micro four thirds forum to get a different perspective.**

Nikon D90 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
captura
Forum ProPosts: 12,929Gear list
Like?
Re: Need help: EM1 vs a7
In reply to bcs732, 7 months ago

I'll bet you get a huge reaction to this on the M43 forum.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jkspepper
Regular MemberPosts: 385
Like?

"I shoot mainly during travel and family gatherings which involve a lot of indoor low light settings. Definitely not a pro but i would like to take really good pictures with bokeh for a professional touch."

This made in guffaw in public do loudly I made a scene. I love the fact that bokeh = professional these days. Brings back the phrase "all the gear but no idea".

Seriously, just buy any camera in that price range. It make you look and feel pro and that's all that counts right?

jkspepper
Regular MemberPosts: 385
Like?

Just reading back my last post. It read back harshly but I was trying to make a serious point.

Any camera in that price range will be able to take astounding photos for your uses. Jut buy any one, buy one you like, you like the look if, feel, usage.

Don't stress the numbers. Numbers game is for muppets.
--
http://jkspepper.tumblr.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/_dhermes/
http://500px.com/jkspepper

tietheknot
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?

I'll give you a reply that you would expect when you posted this in the Sony Alpha/NEX forum.  I would go for the A7 without any doubt at all.

The prices of the A7 and EM1 are very close, with the A7 being an inexpensive FF camera and EM1 being a very expensive m43 camera.  Price most probably will not be a factor.

The A7 will have better high ISO performance and dynamic range than the EM1.  The autofocus is faster on the EM1, but reviews note that the A7 is not by any means slow at autofocusing.  EM1 has in-body image stabilisation whilst IS on the A7 depends on whether the lens has image stabilisation or not.

The EM1 will be supported by a larger range of native m43 lenses.  On the other hand the lenses that are full-frame compatible with the A7 are limited by the fact that previous E-mount lenses don't cover the FF sensor and that there are only a handful of lenses available at the moment.

Balancing these, I would personally go for the A7.  It's just too bad that I can't afford it.

tietheknot's gear list:tietheknot's gear list
NEX5R Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
Rumle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,334Gear list
Like?

bcs732 wrote:

I shoot mainly during travel and family gatherings which involve a lot of indoor low light settings. Definitely not a pro but i would like to take really good pictures with bokeh for a professional touch.

I own a Nikon D90 which this new camera will replace. Looking for a smaller more portable camera that can take excellent low light pictures during travel.

with either one you end up with expect to down grade auto focus expectations a bit coming from a dslr.

From my research with regards to sensor size and aperture, i discovered that a micro four thirds sensor with F2.0 lens is equivalent to full frame sensor with F4.0 lens. Is this correct?

This means the Sony a7 with 24-70 F4.0 will have better low light capability than the Olympus EM1 with 12-40 F2.8 lens.

No, actually not. f/2.0 is always f/2.0 no matter the format, its the same amount of light hitting the sensor, what changes is the depth of field. But the Fullframe sensor will either give better noise in high iso or be able to offer more pixels..
With the zoom I'd say they are about equal in low light IQ the EM1 has better autofocus, and the A7 has a notch in high ISO.

Please note that I do plan to buy prime lenses but i prefer to decide on standard zoom lenses' capability for its flexibility during travel.

**I also posted this same thread in the micro four thirds forum to get a different perspective.**

You cant go wrong really both are appealing in aspects.

Rumle's gear list:Rumle's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +15 more
DT200
Contributing MemberPosts: 835
Like?
bcs732, its not that easy

bcs732 wrote:

For depth of field an m43 f/2 lens would equal a FF f/4 lens, but in real life it ends there. For expose F/2 awlays = F/2. If you look at sites like DxO you find other things really vary too. For most ISOs, the dynamic range is a lot closer, and noise is closer too for many ISOs. Since you prefer primes, then the E-M1 can use stabilization on anything you put on it which the A7 cannot and in some shooting situations that will put the EM1 way ahead. That IS not only helps lower the shutter speed you need, but also holds you view still which allows you see more fine detail in the viewfinder or EVF (I don't care how fast the shutter speed you plan to use is, if you are using a 100mm or longer lens, it is very difficult to get that view to stay still).

I wouldn't rely on people here OR the M43 forum too much. They will try to sell you on their favorite and attack anyone who says something different. Read the DPR review and check all the pro review sites such as Imaging resource:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2013/12/11/cameras-of-the-year-2013-best-enthusiast-and-pro-cameras-and-lenses#best-procam

The big question you need to ask that will make this simple is, will you always manually focus? Today there are only 1 or 2 primes for the A7 that auto-focus (Sony says they are working it), while the M43 camera has numerous native lenses made by several manufacturers. So if you prefer manually focusing, go the A7 (lenses won't be stabilized though), and if you only auto-focus, then pick the EM1.

Oh, the A7 does have the option of a rather large $350 adapter that blocks over 1/3rd the light and les you use some big Sony SLR lenses.

icycool123
Regular MemberPosts: 163Gear list
Like?
Re: bcs732, its not that easy
In reply to DT200, 7 months ago

If you want bokeh, it's much easier to achieve with the Sony a7 camera. Due to the much larger sensor. M4/3 is definitely more portable. So u have to decide which is more important for you. Portability or bokeh.

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,766Gear list
Like?
Re: Wrong ...

Sorry, but see the long debates on equivalence on the m43 forum.

f/2.0 on m43 equals f/4.0 on FF, for both DOF and noise, as the FF sensor is about 4x the size.

So, in simplified thinking, you can expect very similar results when shooting the m43 at f/2.0 and the FF at f/4.0. In reality, because the FF sensor has higher resolution, it will deliver more detail.

Of course, the FF allows to use a faster prime lens, and trade DOF for speed or lower noise.

To the OP, if

a lot of indoor low light settings ... & ... take really good pictures with bokeh

do both matters a lot, then only the A7 will do, or you should consider a bounce flash.

Both the EM-1 and A7/r are fairly large cameras: why not consider a Nex-6 APS-C based camera? It is kind of a middle of the road solutions - you get the smaller lenses (and larger choice) for the the APS-C (crop-factor = 1.5x). You also save big on budget, and it is gives you a much smaller form-factor. The m43 lenses are only slightly smaller (crop-factor = 2.0x) but need to be faster (= heavier).

There are a number of very good E-mount APS-C prime lenses out now (f/1.8).

DT200 wrote:

bcs732 wrote:

For depth of field an m43 f/2 lens would equal a FF f/4 lens, but in real life it ends there. For expose F/2 awlays = F/2. If you look at sites like DxO you find other things really vary too. For most ISOs, the dynamic range is a lot closer, and noise is closer too for many ISOs. Since you prefer primes, then the E-M1 can use stabilization on anything you put on it which the A7 cannot and in some shooting situations that will put the EM1 way ahead. That IS not only helps lower the shutter speed you need, but also holds you view still which allows you see more fine detail in the viewfinder or EVF (I don't care how fast the shutter speed you plan to use is, if you are using a 100mm or longer lens, it is very difficult to get that view to stay still).

I wouldn't rely on people here OR the M43 forum too much. They will try to sell you on their favorite and attack anyone who says something different. Read the DPR review and check all the pro review sites such as Imaging resource:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2013/12/11/cameras-of-the-year-2013-best-enthusiast-and-pro-cameras-and-lenses#best-procam

The big question you need to ask that will make this simple is, will you always manually focus? Today there are only 1 or 2 primes for the A7 that auto-focus (Sony says they are working it), while the M43 camera has numerous native lenses made by several manufacturers. So if you prefer manually focusing, go the A7 (lenses won't be stabilized though), and if you only auto-focus, then pick the EM1.

Oh, the A7 does have the option of a rather large $350 adapter that blocks over 1/3rd the light and les you use some big Sony SLR lenses.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Strick Shooter
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?

I keep looking to pick up a new camera to play with and have been going back and forth between these 2 as well.

To me it comes down to what you are getting for the price and what the purpose is.  Neither would be used for sports or action (sure they might be able to do some shots but they can't stack up to my MKIIn in that particular area).  If you want a camera for taking real good pictures with great IQ either is a good choice.  If you want a camera to be able to have the most creative control over all aspects of the image then I think the Sony is the best choice.  The control you get with a FF sensor for the same (a little more) money seems like a deal that is hard to pass up.

sabesh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,392Gear list
Like?
Both are overkill just for travel.

Get an NEX-6 or GX7.
--
Sabesh
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sabesh/

sabesh's gear list:sabesh's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +6 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 12,929Gear list
Like?
Re: Wrong ...
In reply to blue_skies, 7 months ago

"Both the EM-1 and A7/r are fairly large cameras: why not consider a Nex-6 APS-C based camera? It is kind of a middle of the road solutions - you get the smaller lenses (and larger choice) for the the APS-C (crop-factor = 1.5x). You also save big on budget, and it is gives you a much smaller form-factor. The m43 lenses are only slightly smaller (crop-factor = 2.0x) but need to be faster (= heavier).

There are a number of very good E-mount APS-C prime lenses out now (f/1.8)."

Sure thing, but for how much longer?

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,295
Like?
In reply to Rumle, 7 months ago

Rumle wrote:

bcs732 wrote:

with either one you end up with expect to down grade auto focus expectations a bit coming from a dslr.

It depends. Contrary to common beliefs the PDAF performance varies significantly depending on camera, lens, lighting conditions, subjects. What's worse, after having a number of DSLRs for the last decade, I know that the precision of AF also varies dramatically and generally is quite inferior to the typical CDAF. So, unless one is a sports shooter, he may find the results with CDAF to be noticeably better in real life shooting situations.

No, actually not. f/2.0 is always f/2.0 no matter the format,

Yeah, right, and FL 24mm is 24mm no matter the format. The only problem is that 24mm F4.0 on FF and m4/3 produce very different images. What the OP correctly pointed here is that the effect of an ideal 12mm F/2 lens on m4/3 is exactly the same as 24mm F/4 on FF.

its the same amount of light hitting the sensor, what changes is the depth of field.

The amount of light that a lens collects on any given surface depends on its effective aperture and nothing else. F-stop has nothing to do with it, or everybody would have been shooting with the phone cameras. The 24mm F/4 on FF and 12mm F/2 on m4/3 both have the effective aperture of 6 mm, both collect the same amount of light, have the same FOV, the same DOF -- the lenses are equivalent. It's been known for ages that f-stop means nothing when it comes to light collecting, it's the aperture that makes the difference. The bigger the telescope glass, or mirror the more light can be recorded, f-stop is irrelevant.

It really has nothing to do with the sensor efficiency either, it's the properties of the lens, not the sensor. The sensor doesn't become more efficient just because it's bigger. Sometimes one can hear the schizophrenic explanation that 12mm F/2 is only equivalent to FF 24mm F/4 for DOF, but it's still F/2 for light gathering. That's simply stupid. The sensor efficiency and lens optical performance are two completely separate issues. It would be equally stupid to say that the same 24mm F/4 lens becomes different on A7 and A7R because the sensors have different efficiencies.

forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,295
Like?

DT200 wrote:

bcs732 wrote:

For depth of field an m43 f/2 lens would equal a FF f/4 lens, but in real life it ends there. For expose F/2 awlays = F/2.

Yes, and the Earth is flat. We heard it already. Some people never learn, no matter how many times it was explained to them. I guess the only answer comes to mind here: you can't fix stupid.

nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,866
Like?

I hope you allready did your homework and knows what makes both cameras great in their fields. (in short A7 is the better at high ISO, DOF controlability with the same FOV, WA lenses will give a larger FOV (important for indoor use) etc., The EM1 is better for tele work (smaller FL lenses will give more tele reach, smaller lenses, IBIS).

Personaly I find the price of the EM1 way to high for a (very nice) m43 camera, when I woul buy a m43 camera it would probably be the EM5.

The A7 is very well priced for an FF camera, but still it is a lot of money. So heree again, look at other cameras too. The Nex 6 and Nex 7 are very well priced at the moment, there is a nice line of lenses available for those cameras too. Don't listen to those who tell that Sony may stop with APS cameras in the E-mount, they will go on with it! At this point they will center their attention on the FF E-mount lenses, but those lenses are very well usable on the APS cameras, and ff lenses on APS use the best part of the image circle.

At this moment you can't go wrong with any ILC, all will deliver great pictures, all will work very fine. Best way to choose is: Go to a good shop, handle all cameras you consider and some others too, go for the camera you like best, forget what people here tells you, you have to work with the camera, not they. When a camera does not handle nice, the fraction of "better" IQ is soon forgotten as your camera stays at home, when it handles good, you take it with yopu and have fun with it...

Stu 5
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,265
Like?

bcs732 wrote:

Professionals do not tend to shoot with very shallow depth of field. It is more fashionable at present with amateur photographers.

Stu 5
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,265
Like?
In reply to nevercat, 7 months ago

nevercat wrote:

I hope you allready did your homework and knows what makes both cameras great in their fields. (in short A7 is the better at high ISO, DOF controlability with the same FOV, WA lenses will give a larger FOV (important for indoor use) etc., The EM1 is better for tele work (smaller FL lenses will give more tele reach, smaller lenses, IBIS).

Personaly I find the price of the EM1 way to high for a (very nice) m43 camera, when I woul buy a m43 camera it would probably be the EM5.

So you are saying you would also not purchase a pro version of a A7 either?

The A7 is very well priced for an FF camera, but still it is a lot of money. So heree again, look at other cameras too. The Nex 6 and Nex 7 are very well priced at the moment, there is a nice line of lenses available for those cameras too. Don't listen to those who tell that Sony may stop with APS cameras in the E-mount, they will go on with it! At this point they will center their attention on the FF E-mount lenses, but those lenses are very well usable on the APS cameras, and ff lenses on APS use the best part of the image circle.

At this moment you can't go wrong with any ILC, all will deliver great pictures, all will work very fine. Best way to choose is: Go to a good shop, handle all cameras you consider and some others too, go for the camera you like best, forget what people here tells you, you have to work with the camera, not they. When a camera does not handle nice, the fraction of "better" IQ is soon forgotten as your camera stays at home, when it handles good, you take it with yopu and have fun with it...

LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,394
Like?

Correct the A7 with 24-70 will be the best bet for highest IQ in theory...I say in cause the 24-70 has not been tested yet and at 24mm may or may not be very good...I am hoping it will as I have it on order as well

(Own the A7r)

Also own the EM1 and 12-40 they are an EXCELLENT cam and lens combo for bright light shooting...I am a mostly bright light shooter 95% of the time...

EM1 does not have an AA Filter, but A7 does (A7r doesn't)

One can do well with either camera in low light, but m43's you have to keep the ISO lower, I usually stay around ISO 1250 if the shutter is fast enough, and they do have good glass that can do this the 12-40 f/2.8 is fast but not really low light fast...however in camera IBIS on the olympus will allow some shots in low light and can be handheld up to 1 sec...

A7 with OSS 24-70 we will have to see what the handheld limit is, but I am sure it will do well...

In dusk light or cloudy low light outdoors the EM1 and 12-40 does well up to ISO 2000 at f/4 the sharpest aperture...

Colors from the Olympus are awesome for "me". jpegs are excellent. but the A7r jpegs are excellent as well as I have tested RAW against jpeg using LR...

RAW colors are better on the Sony, but IQ doesn't seem any better?

ISO 2000 EM1 100-300 right at dusk just before dark on a cloudy day...jpeg PP LR5

High IQ EM1 shot, but if you open original and look at her coat collar closely you'll see what happens when AA Filter is missing, color spectrum and moire (rainbow colors in black color and whirlpool looking thread details)

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,866
Like?
In reply to Stu 5, 7 months ago

Stu 5 wrote:

nevercat wrote:

So you are saying you would also not purchase a pro version of a A7 either?

Is there a "pro" version of the A7?, but the answer is no, I have ho reason to go for a camera like that. And as the OP is no pro, why going for a pro version when you can save a lot? As you can see in the rest of my post I let the OP look at other cameras for the Sony line too.

For me "pro" cameras only are good for real pros, and I doubt that the service of Olympus is up to pro standard like it is for Canon. Part of the "pro"of a camera is service, that is why Sony never claimed the A900 was a pro camera...

LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,394
Like?
In reply to forpetessake, 7 months ago

forpetessake wrote:

DT200 wrote:

bcs732 wrote:

For depth of field an m43 f/2 lens would equal a FF f/4 lens, but in real life it ends there. For expose F/2 awlays = F/2.

Yes, and the Earth is flat. We heard it already. Some people never learn, no matter how many times it was explained to them. I guess the only answer comes to mind here: you can't fix stupid.

For petes sake man, f/2 is f/2 is f/2 when it comes to shutter speed and that is exposure in and of it's self...

Three formats same day same time same lighting all lined up side x side set at same ISO:

m43 f/2 = 1/100 shutter

Nex APS-C f/2 = 1/100 shutter

A7 FF f/2 = 1/100 shutter

All shutter speeds will be equal...same intensity of light on the face of each sensor...

Can't fix it or can't face it?

Problem with this is the A7 series is not going to have a FE f/2 lens with stabilisation...m43 can have an advantage with IBIS and use 25mm f/1.4 lens with FAST Auto Focus...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads