The best digital camera of the past?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
jcharding
Senior MemberPosts: 2,011Gear list
Like?
Minolta 7D.
In reply to BobT, 9 months ago

Sadly for Minolta, a year too late.  Had it been earlier then they quite possibly would have really given Canon and Nikon a serious run.  Outstanding ergonomics, and at that time Minolta's stable of lenses was only a hair behind Canon and Nikon (Minolta offered essentially the full spread - all the way out to a 600/4).  It also was the either the first, or among the first, to have stabilization built into the body.

I don't use mine anymore, although I occasionally see one in the wild and I still proudly and prominently display photos from it on my office wall.

-- hide signature --
 jcharding's gear list:jcharding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-P3 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lightpath48
Senior MemberPosts: 2,115Gear list
Like?
Re: A best digital camera of the past?

Buying, playing with, and selling digital cameras on eBay has been a hobby of mine since 1999.  Maybe the most memorable of them for me was a Nikon D70s with the 18-70 kit zoom.  It was simple enough to learn, well-built for my needs, it made very nice 6 MP images that served well for my 8.5 X 11" print needs.  After the D70s I never found more than a marginal improvement in my photography because of any equipment that I bought.  I've self-imposed a moratorium on buying cameras for now.  Were I to venture back in, I might look for a very clean D90 and another 18-70.

Lightpath48's gear list:Lightpath48's gear list
Nikon D3300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II
Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,087Gear list
Like?
I think it's just the nature of the Zeiss,
In reply to rurikw, 9 months ago

you can't cover that much range and not have trade-offs at wide angle.
I am very happy with my landscapes from it,
but when you are aiming at the horizon, extra pixels are always welcome.
It's not bad at that range, in fact it's excellent, but the short range
rendering is simply stellar. Try F6.3 or similar and RAW for the long stuff.

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7R
Pontoneer
Contributing MemberPosts: 859Gear list
Like?
Re: I think it's just the nature of the Zeiss,
In reply to Ron Poelman, 9 months ago

Of the past ?

Pentax *istD

I have two which still see use from time to time .
--
With kind regards

Derek.

Pontoneer's gear list:Pontoneer's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +33 more
Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,497Gear list
Like?
What an odd thread..........
In reply to Kodachrome200, 9 months ago

Kodachrome200 wrote:

with digital gear being so technology dependent there is very little to look back on nostalgically. Fact is my D800 and GR are better in every way than my older cameras. and I really cant envision a situation where that wouldnt be true.

I couldn't agree more, ......my 1DmkIV is a major improvement over my Rebel XTi....much of the same reasoning can be said for cars. Today's autos are safer, more comfortable, better handling and more efficient.

I can't think of any camera I've had in the past as being better than today's models......or I'd have kept my Rebel, haha

-- hide signature --

"Five out of four people have trouble with fractions."
Regards,
Hank

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D300 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +6 more
Timj351
Senior MemberPosts: 2,026
Like?
Re: What an odd thread..........
In reply to Hank3152, 9 months ago

I still have my Rebel XTi but I haven't used it in a while because I am really enjoying my superzoom and compact cameras. I still think the XTi is a wonderful camera that takes very nice images for my needs. The funny thing is that, even though it is digital, it now feels like an "old school" camera to me since it is without video, live view and other software features like face detection and gps. My lenses for it aren't even image stabilized either. I enjoy the simplicity of it and plan to hang on to it for quite a while longer.

My favorite camera of the past that got the most use was the Sony F707, already mentioned in this thread. I am still impressed with many of the images from it and they hold up just as well to current cameras at sizes under 8.5x11. I always felt it was a particular camera that you really needed to handle and use to fully appreciate it. I would really enjoy seeing a modern version of this camera design. I still have my F707 and it still works perfectly.

-Tim

rurikw
Regular MemberPosts: 166Gear list
Like?
Re: I think it's just the nature of the Zeiss,

Nice to find someone using the same oddball camera so happy to share experiences. I always thought lenses perform best toward infinity unless macro. And that infinity means anything beyond 5m unless extreme tele. Evidently wrong. Maybe lenses have different optimum distances. And complicated ones like a 5x zoom probably have different optimum distances at different focal lengths. I have empirical evidence that f16 is the sharpest aperture at 24mme. Yet my default aperture is f9. Why? Because I have been brainwashed to believe there is diffraction at f16? Maybe the slightest trace of softening in the very centre if I use my imagination but by far the best overall resolution. Lenses behave strangely but not nearly as strangely as humans. I am also generally happy with the output. Proof: haven't got another camera yet though would like something wider at times (though my bank account has a say in this as well).

rurikw's gear list:rurikw's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 +1 more
chooflaki
Regular MemberPosts: 397Gear list
Like?
Re: The best digital camera of the past?

The Fuji S3 and S5 Pro's without a doubt. Nikon F80 and D200 based DSLR's with the unique Super CCD sensor. DR is right up with the current best. Works backwards though, expose for the shadows and reign in the highlights. Colours and skin tones that are perfect and not surpassed by modern cameras. Only usable to ISO 400 and not for high resolution or sports shooting but deliver fantastic portraits. I still use my examples and will never sell mine.

chooflaki's gear list:chooflaki's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +2 more
Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?

BobT wrote:

Looking back over the relatively short life of digital photography (and digital gear), what do YOU feel has been one of the best cameras to ever hit the market? Nothing current, please. I think it should be a camera that you feel that you could use today (and maybe you still do). And of course, why do you feel it was (is) a very decent photo tool?

I'll start.... with the Canon 300D...the first "Digital Rebel". I enjoyed the fact that I really "knew" this camera better than any others since, and got what are still some of my best images with it.

The Nikon coolpix 8800 was my firsts venture into Digital (around 2004). I still have it and just recently dug it out and wiped all the mould off it, charged the battery, shot Raw, yes Raw ..about 30 seconds of disabled camera controls waiting for it to finish writing to the card later, I then did the same shot with a D700 and 24-70mm f2.8. The coolpix was at iso 50 the D700 at ISO200. Post processing them both in LR5 and I was blown away that they were on the same level of sharpness. Amazing!

Then when it came to the ISO noise, well.. er.. yeah. ISO 50 on the CP8800 was around 6400 on the D700 Man, they really put a great lens on that lil puppy.
As DSLR's go I would say the best Nikon's to hit the market have been the D70, D200, D700. Had no experience with a D800 except holding it in the shop. I found it too small for my large hands..

-- hide signature --
 Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 12,068Gear list
Like?
Thanks for the Question

BobT wrote:

Henry,

For you Henry, we'll make an exception. Besides the suspense is killing us. What's the 4-week-old camera? SH-50?

Yes it is the SH-50. The mode dial only turns when you want it to, like on the SP-570UZ. The video start button is the only one above the 4-way rocker, which avoids hitting the display button by mistake (as I do on the SZ-30MR). There is a manual setting for ISO, shutter and aperture with a yellow +-2 EV indication if I am widely off the ball park. Best of all, it has 3-axis IS for stills and 5-axis IS for video. These make focussing and centring long shots much more reliable than on any of my previous cameras with 2-axis IS only. Etc, etc.

By the way, your last sentence above is perfectly true.

Thank you. The shots that keep people coming back to my Pbase gallery are those with Sandra, taken on an Olympus C-2500L which had one aperture for over-exposure and the other for under-exposure. I sold the camera to a friend of Sandra's, but she is still in my life. Today she did a pre-Christmas invitation which she pronounced the most successful ever.

Henry

-- hide signature --

http://upload.pbase.com/image/138702566.jpg
Henry Falkner - SH-50, SZ-30MR, SP-570UZ, Stylus 9010
http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner

Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Carsten Pauer 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,155
Like?

Looking back over the relatively short life of digital photography (and digital gear), what do YOU feel has been one of the best cameras to ever hit the market?

The FinePix S2 Pro.

I think it should be a camera that you feel that you could use today (and maybe you still do).

Oh, then, it is my FinePix S2+S5 Pro.

And of course, why do you feel it was (is) a very decent photo tool?

Image Quality, that is one of my first Priority.
Before i has buy my first DSLR i was searching Months for a good DSLR with great IQ.

So i have viewed tons of Photos from the Reviews and more to choose the right DSLR for me.
I have Printed this highres Photos with my Ink-Printers and watch seem and compared them with others.

For this Time, the FinePix S2 Pro was my first choice, and it was a good choice for me.

Normally i never would use a DSLR, but the P&S Cameras was tooooooooo limited for me.
I think this Time was a very good chance for the Mirror-Less Cameras.

I'll start.... with the Canon 300D...the first "Digital Rebel". I enjoyed the fact that I really "knew" this camera better than any others since, and got what are still some of my best images with it.

Yes the Time i has seen the first Photo from a CMOS-Sensor from Canon was the Days as i have wanted a FinePix S2 Pro for the IQ.

hjr13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,301Gear list
Like?
In reply to Carsten Pauer 2, 9 months ago

Maybe not the best, but the first camera I was happy with the results, was the Canon G3. I had 1 digital camera before, and it was more of a novelty item. The G3 produced results that could be printed and looked good.

dave
Regular MemberPosts: 412Gear list
Like?

The best was the Canon 5D original. I still use mine as much as my K5ii. It was the first FF professional caliber affordable DSLR. It still out performs most of the current crop of prosumer dslr's.

-- hide signature --

Pentax K5ii Canon 5D

dave's gear list:dave's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Sony Alpha 7R
tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,183Gear list
Like?
my best was the Oly E-3 /nt
-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software.
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +16 more
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,937Gear list
Like?
Epson 3000 - first serious digital camera, then came Minolta Dimage series.

Used it to take photos of Ground Zero a couple of weeks after 9/11, when there were still fires, and huge lights were trained on the site. This at night, shot from the Empire State Building. Had a Canon EOS1 with fast lenses and film, but the new Epson (borrowed it from my company and read the manual on the plane) did quite well - those were the keepers. There was not enough light for the film SLR. The SLR did beautifully at close ups during the daytime, however. That's when I knew digital had arrived.

Bought the camera when I got back, and then upgraded to the first Minolta Dimage when it arrived. This was when dSLRs were still being developed.

-- hide signature --

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
MediaArchivist
Senior MemberPosts: 1,000Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony F707/717
In reply to Chris R-UK, 9 months ago

The 717 was my first digital. Awesome camera, I took it from Albuquerque to New York to Kyiv. I never found it to be slow, but I did not have anything to compare it to. I got predictable after that, 717 -> R1 -> a77 -> a99

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +15 more
MediaArchivist
Senior MemberPosts: 1,000Gear list
Like?
Mine still works great!

It was the upgrade after my 717 died

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads