The best digital camera of the past?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,876Gear list
Like?
The best digital camera of the past?
11 months ago

Looking back over the relatively short life of digital photography (and digital gear), what do YOU feel has been one of the best cameras to ever hit the market?  Nothing current, please.  I think it should be a camera that you feel that you could use today (and maybe you still do).  And of course, why do you feel it was (is) a very decent photo tool?

I'll start.... with the Canon 300D...the first "Digital Rebel".  I enjoyed the fact that I really "knew" this camera better than any others since, and got what are still some of my best images with it.

Canon EOS 300D (EOS Digital Rebel / EOS Kiss Digital)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 27,295Gear list
Like?
EOS 1D
In reply to BobT, 11 months ago

At least, in my universe, that was the first pro digital that was relatively affordable, and it left me little excuse for blaming the hardware  for failures, as I took up this endeavor in earnest.

Truckin'. . . what long strange trip. . .

It's not uncommon to feel some of one's best work was done in their first years at it.   But soon enough one looks for more consistency (rather than serindipity), trying to figure out why the best were the best, and why the rest were not.   But by then one is hooked, and committed to chasing that down for the rest of one's life.  

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PenPix
Senior MemberPosts: 1,056
Like?
Re: The best digital camera of the past?

Being a Nikon user, it would be the D200. I used my F801 up until I got the D200… it was the first DSLR that I felt was proper successor to the old film camera. Sometimes I wish I didn't sell the 801!

Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,395Gear list
Like?
Nikon CP4500

This was a beautifully made swivel camera. It was great for macro because it worked in the middle of the zoom range, allowing you some working distance and minimizing distortion. Picture quality was good for 4 MP. I still carry one for shooting details of machinery in factories.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +9 more
Marx81
Regular MemberPosts: 420Gear list
Like?

In my experience , Canon 40D .

I no sell my older gear , but , unfortunately , this cam been stolen , years ago , in Madagascar :

so I don't know what use I could have for it today .

But it has been a sweet tool for me .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marxx/

Marx81's gear list:Marx81's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +3 more
Jim Cassatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,575Gear list
Like?

I agree with you on the 300D.  Mine still works.

-- hide signature --
 Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Fujifilm X-E1 +18 more
Kodachrome200
Contributing MemberPosts: 759Gear list
Like?
In reality

with digital gear being so technology dependent there is very little to look back on nostalgically. Fact is my D800 and GR are better in every way than my older cameras. and I really cant envision a situation where that wouldnt be true.

Kodachrome200's gear list:Kodachrome200's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +3 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,155Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim Cassatt, 11 months ago

Jim Cassatt wrote:

I agree with you on the 300D. Mine still works.

-- hide signature --

I just bought mine last year, it's like brand new. But I could not get used to the tiny screen, so it's for sale.

My choice of best digital from the past is the Panasonic G1 which was the very first M43 camera far as I know.  It came bundled with a very good kit lens, too, the 14-45. I still use it for portraiture, with manual Minolta lenses.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Samsung NX1000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +10 more
digitallollygag
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, 11 months ago

Nikon D100. I still use it from time to time.

digitallollygag's gear list:digitallollygag's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus E-410 Nikon D5100 Nikon D100 Pentax Q +18 more
Wm. L.
Senior MemberPosts: 2,160Gear list
Like?

I think of this in terms of generations or pre-history. Saying best is tough having watched leading products come along but get surpassed when another or same manufacturer has new releases.

A milestones were in my hands with a former job I had. That job was often known as Apple evangelist where Apple subsidized the salary of some at their reseller partners. My employer did setups, piloting, demonstrations, and sometimes beta testing for a group of Fortune 500 firm locations in our region, and targeted early days of desktop publishing and pre-press. In that era we had early Kodak digital backs for testing and demo, same for QuickTake cameras. We'd laugh now but we were using cameras with VGA or barely to as high as 2 megapixels with SCSI interface to get images from remote locations faster.

For the above I remember a time when we flew to SFO and used long gone dial services to take a photo and send it to the engineering department of a major corporation. It was about trying to cut their costs and time flying engineers to manufacturing sites. When Kodak sent the modified Canon and Nikon bodies the instructions had insurance amounts in shipping we'd laugh at now for 2 megapixel cameras.

For me milestones after those early cameras were Nikon 99x that had good looking color and macro, some early Olympus p+s that had decent looking color and didn't cost a ton, and one I LOVED was Canon making the elph digital.

As a category I'll add the likes of Canon's digital Rebels. Sure most owners shot in green mode and replaced them with camera phones, but the image quality they brought did a lot to end film era as most knew.

I would add the quality travel zooms with good lenses as a best or important part of development. Some I know who owned them went to mirrorless systems for upgrades. For me it meant no longer dragging pounds of gear with me for a lot of use or travel.

Wm. L.'s gear list:Wm. L.'s gear list
Olympus Tough TG-2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
tjboothe
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?

I am gonna go with one I still use almost daily because I still love the files it gives me. The Canon 5D. First affordable full frame.

Took Nikon up to the D3X to surpass it in IQ.

I still am convinced you can't get a better 100 to 400 file from any camera, you can get bigger, yes but IMO not better.

-- hide signature --

I look at pictures, I don't peek at pixels!

tjboothe's gear list:tjboothe's gear list
Samsung TL500 Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 30D +27 more
Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,262Gear list
Like?
R1

An extremely well executed convergence of features
that still hasn't been definitively beaten.
I.Q. out to 10 metres is still 2014 gold standard,
the screens and the speed, a different matter.

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7R
KCK14
Regular MemberPosts: 433Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon CP995
In reply to Leonard Migliore, 11 months ago

Bought one for close-up (sort of macro) shots at work - first camera that I bought new in over 30 years of used and rebuilt cameras. My first digital camera.    The swivel body is perfect for close-ups.

KCK14's gear list:KCK14's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D90
Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 12,219Gear list
Like?
There is not One

BobT wrote:

Looking back over the relatively short life of digital photography (and digital gear), what do YOU feel has been one of the best cameras to ever hit the market? Nothing current, please. I think it should be a camera that you feel that you could use today (and maybe you still do). And of course, why do you feel it was (is) a very decent photo tool?

All of them had the convenience of me being able to use the pictures instantly. Some had better IQ than others, independent of Mega Pixels in them.

BUT, my Olympus C-1400L came with a warning that letting any hint of dampness near it may be dangerous, and Alkaline AA cells lasted a bare five minutes in it.

The C-2500L had more resolution, also more noise, and luckily in 2000 rechargeable AA cells with a typical capacity of 2000mAh were available.

The Olympus D-400Z pocket P&S beat the C-1400L bridge camera for resolution, at the same pixel count, and the D-490Z beat the C-2500L bridge camera. At a school function, Sandra's daughter used the D-490Z for its simplicity, and I used the C-2500L. As it turned out, she and I took the same shots, and I submitted only the D-490Z shots that Sandra's daughter had taken. They had far less noise.

I still have the D-490Z with the last 128 MB SmartMedia memory in it - which makes the camera a nostalgic relic.

The C-750UZ was my first super zoom, and I used it for four years. But it sucked in dust, and became unpredictable in operation at the slightest hint of rain (hence the need for the Stylus 800 in spite of its IQ issues).

The Olympus Stylus 800 has weather seals, and it is still in use by Sandra. But I got slaughtered here for the artifacts it created by excessive in-camera sharpening.

The Olympus SP-570UZ was the last full-featured bridge camera in the series. It is built like a tank. I does useable VGA video, but it uses Olympus xD memory, and the development of that came to a halt at 2GB capacity. The Stylus 9010 pocket P&S beats the SP-570UZ for shadow detail, so the latter is now another nostalgic relic in my possession.

The camera that does combine all the good bits of my older cameras and none of their drawbacks has been in my hot little hands for only four weeks - but the OP says I am not allowed to mention it.

Basically, all my old cameras took good pictures as and when I learnt to work around the drawbacks. But it is usually the subjects that make the shots worth keeping, not the camera they were depicted with.

Henry

-- hide signature --

http://upload.pbase.com/image/138702566.jpg
Henry Falkner - SH-50, SZ-30MR, SP-570UZ, Stylus 9010
http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner

Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,876Gear list
Like?
Re: There is not One
In reply to Henry Falkner, 11 months ago

Henry,

For you Henry, we'll make an exception.  Besides the suspense is killing us.  What's the 4-week-old camera?  SH-50?

By the way, your last sentence above is perfectly true.

Osvaldo Cristo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,355Gear list
Like?

Nikon Coolpix 990

Nikon D200

Nikon D3

-- hide signature --

O.Cristo - An Amateur Photographer
Opinions of men are almost as various as their faces - so many men so many minds. B. Franklin

Chris R-UK
Forum ProPosts: 12,551Gear list
Like?
Sony F707/717

Best camera I have had for taking candid shots at parties.

Great design with the twisting body.  Great lens.  Unbearably slow operation.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +6 more
rurikw
Regular MemberPosts: 184Gear list
Like?
Re: R1
In reply to Ron Poelman, 11 months ago

I suppose you mean the Sony R1. I was going to suggest that one but you beat me to it. Funny you should say "up to 10m". I have made the same observation but haven't found an explanation. Do we both have a flawed focusing mechanism?

rurikw's gear list:rurikw's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 +1 more
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 5,345Gear list
Like?
The best digital camera of my past - my Canon 300D

I would agree the Canon 300D was a fine camera in its day.

I enjoyed mine - more than the 450D and 30D that I followed it with.

This is the last image I took with my 300D:

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +6 more
Biggs23
Biggs23 MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,599Gear list
Like?

I'd have to say the Canon 5D, the Nikon D3x and the Nikon D3s. All were very significant changes in the digital photography world.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview. Have a good one and God bless!

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads