let's face it..the DF is a bust...

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
jenella
Contributing MemberPosts: 997Gear list
Like?
let's face it..the DF is a bust...
4 months ago

no matter how you spin it.....its a "filler" camera... Kind of a Neiman Marcus Wish List Christmas catalog camera ...For Dentists     But thats just me
"if it ain't broke" Get a new one anyway!

jenella's gear list:jenella's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,459Gear list
Like?
Re: let's face it..the DF is a bust...
In reply to jenella, 4 months ago

No, let's face it, it was a back burner project that finally got completed and just before Christmas.

It's a specialty camera and it doesn't have to fit everyone's needs or wants.  That appears to describe your position, too.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alpha Tech
Regular MemberPosts: 406Gear list
Like?

Maybe so, but the difference is that I have one now and its battery is being charged. Happy shooting days are ahead for those of us fortunate enough to own the Df.

Alpha Tech's gear list:Alpha Tech's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition
jenella
Like?
In reply to user_name, 4 months ago

Oh lighten up...its in jest..but it is probably the most insignificant, disappointing  release to serious photogs. Next year, no one will be mentioning DF.

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X100S Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
jenella
Like?
In reply to Alpha Tech, 4 months ago

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

-- hide signature --

reginalddwight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003Gear list
Like?
Sometimes less is more

I won't go so far and call the Df a bust, but to some this camera is a disappointment.

Today, I had a chance to test the Df in person for the first time. The grip is a non-starter for me. I have average size hands but the lack of a hearty grip such as found on the D800 and D4 is immediately noticeable. I can't imagine what it would be like to mount one of the Holy Trinity lenses on the Df. As I imagined, the Df is optimally coupled with small primes. The camera also feels a bit chunky and surprisingly hollow, rather than the muscular camera bodies such as the FM2 and F3 I have shot with in the past. Those film cameras felt exceedingly solid and built to last. I am not sure I can say the same for the Df.

I found the dials on the top panel, particularly the ISO dial, a bit awkward to use. The subcommand dial felt odd and not as comfortable to use as those on modern Nikon DSLRs.

For a while, I can say that I was a fence-sitter. But I think I'm gonna regrettably take a pass on the Df.

4x5 Guy
Contributing MemberPosts: 847
Like?

jenella wrote:

no matter how you spin it.....its a "filler" camera... Kind of a Neiman Marcus Wish List Christmas catalog camera ...For Dentists But thats just me

Intelligent and well thought out post. Very contributory. Looking forward to more.

But I jest.

mironv
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,695Gear list
Like?

jenella wrote:

no matter how you spin it.....its a "filler" camera... Kind of a Neiman Marcus Wish List Christmas catalog camera ...For Dentists But thats just me

Cameras are not shoes and can work for years with out getting out of fashion. Nikon DF will be a longest digital SLR in production for its special blend of top shelf sensor timeless looks and functionality making a perfect second camera for anyone. There are more DSLR users that seat on a fence to get second DSLR than new comers to DSLR. It was very smart move by Nikon. Df will be in my bag very soon.

-- hide signature --
 mironv's gear list:mironv's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +10 more
user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,459Gear list
Like?

Didn't mean to be offensive.  It just sounds like it isn't your cup of tea.  It isn't mine, either.

I was looking for a second camera and when the Df was announced I was hoping it would fill that gap, but it doesn't do that very well for my needs.

The Df was not designed to be a high volume camera like the D800 of D610 and that is why they are in stores now rather than a 3 to 4 month backlog like the D800 had.

So, my point was that it is not a bust because it was never designed to be something that everyone wants or needs.  Nothing wrong with that.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
jenella
Like?
ISO Wheel sticks like glue
In reply to reginalddwight, 4 months ago

reginalddwight wrote:

I won't go so far and call the Df a bust, but to some this camera is a disappointment.

Today, I had a chance to test the Df in person for the first time. The grip is a non-starter for me. I have average size hands but the lack of a hearty grip such as found on the D800 and D4 is immediately noticeable. I can't imagine what it would be like to mount one of the Holy Trinity lenses on the Df. As I imagined, the Df is optimally coupled with small primes. The camera also feels a bit chunky and surprisingly hollow, rather than the muscular camera bodies such as the FM2 and F3 I have shot with in the past. Those film cameras felt exceedingly solid and built to last. I am not sure I can say the same for the Df.

I found the dials on the top panel, particularly the ISO dial, a bit awkward to use. The subcommand dial felt odd and not as comfortable to use as those on modern Nikon DSLRs.

For a while, I can say that I was a fence-sitter. But I think I'm gonna regrettably take a pass on the Df.

OMG..the ISO dial was sticking like glue and awkward as heck use. If I was sitting in the woods shooting on a fixed ISO and aperture ALL day..it would be fine . I had my D4 with me when i demo'd it . I tried my holy trinity just for kicks..I do realize its obviously made for small primes. I tried my 85 1.4 and got the FF error message. I can honestly say Ive never been so underwhelmed and disappointed and I *was* prepared to buy it. End of the line for me

Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,452Gear list
Like?

jenella wrote:

There's a general trend going on.

You have the folks who don't like the Df and they are MOSTLY spec readers and/or folks who picked one up in a store for 10-20 minutes at best.

And then you have the fans (like me) who spent more time with it. When I first picked it up...so wrong! After all, we're all pretty well adapted to DSLR form/function. But I'm usually quick to adapt and like many reviews I just "got it." The Df was fun to use. With a small prime it was noticeably smaller than my D800 with the same prime. And as many D4 owners will attest, the sensor is a killer and the Df sensor may be even better still. So I'm buying one, or rather getting one as a gift from my old man.

At 51 I also admit that I had film bodies and the Df feels good in my hands, certainly better than my cameras. My friend, who owns the D4, is in love with the thing, though it's a less logical 2nd camera for the D4 owner.

For a D800 owner the Df makes good sense. Best low light sensor in the smallest/lightest FX camera. It's not for everyone, but is it a bust? I doubt it. Most of my photog friends have ordered or will order.

But I believe if you spent more time with the Df it might win you over.

Cheers,

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
jenella
Like?
Re: Like I said....
In reply to Shotcents, 4 months ago

If you are not planning on much  action, using zoom lenses,  or using your manual options much..its the perfect camera :/

-- hide signature --

Mistur
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?
Nice second camera
In reply to mironv, 4 months ago

I have the Df and added three lightweight 1.8 primes - 28, 50 and 85. Fits perfectly in a Tenba mini messenger bag. This will be my take everywhere kit, particularly for shooting on the street. The Df fits for me.

Mistur's gear list:Mistur's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon Df Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +5 more
wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,205
Like?

It is just plain ugly. I thought I got rid of all my film cameras in 1994. Then Nikon couldn't resist bringing it back to haunt.  I say the DF fit in the same category as all those failed retro cars.

Shotcents
Like?
Re: Like I said....

jenella wrote:

If you are not planning on much action, using zoom lenses, or using your manual options much..its the perfect camera :/

-- hide signature --

That really doesn't make much sense. My wife shoots action and uses manual controls on her D5200 with big zooms all the time. The Df handles better.

Robert

Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Shotcents
Like?
Re: ISO Wheel sticks like glue

OMG..the ISO dial was sticking like glue and awkward as heck use. If I was sitting in the woods shooting on a fixed ISO and aperture ALL day..it would be fine . I had my D4 with me when i demo'd it . I tried my holy trinity just for kicks..I do realize its obviously made for small primes. I tried my 85 1.4 and got the FF error message. I can honestly say Ive never been so underwhelmed and disappointed and I *was* prepared to buy it. End of the line for me

Like I said....

You tried it briefly. I was able to use all of the dials so easily...like butter. The dials felt perfect. It took a few minutes to get it all down, but I understand some people often need days or weeks to learn how to handle a new body.

Dunno, but your comments are starting to sound fishy to me, and also trolling. Plenty of people here now own the Df and if you can read, then you know they like it.

Doesn't make you wrong. You can dislike and like what you please, but your observations are based on virtually zero stick-time and this thread is not doing any good. I hope your husband finds you another gift for Xmas.

Cheers,

Robert

Shotcents
Like?
In reply to wasserball, 4 months ago

wasserball wrote:

It is just plain ugly. I thought I got rid of all my film cameras in 1994. Then Nikon couldn't resist bringing it back to haunt. I say the DF fit in the same category as all those failed retro cars.

Retro cars have helped ressurect Chrysler and Ford.

Cheers,

Robert

wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,205
Like?

PT was junk, The T-Bird was a loser. Ford did not need resurrection. Chrysler was in so much trouble MBZ dumped it. Anymore lip service? 

jenella
Like?

Shotcents wrote:

wasserball wrote:

It is just plain ugly. I thought I got rid of all my film cameras in 1994. Then Nikon couldn't resist bringing it back to haunt. I say the DF fit in the same category as all those failed retro cars.

Retro cars have helped ressurect Chrysler and Ford.

Cheers,

Robert

But the  wheels turn smoothly and gas pedal doesn't stick

-- hide signature --

benjaminblack
Regular MemberPosts: 419Gear list
Like?

jenella wrote:

The most light sensitive DSLR in the world...$2700. Simply incredible.

Since the moment I saw the DF I knew it would be a great success. But it has far exceeded my expectations.

I'm going to be blunt. Many of the people who are bashing this camera simply can't afford it. It's expensive. But it's a lot of camera for the money. I don't think Nikon could put the D4 sensor in any camera and sell it for less than $2000.

benjaminblack's gear list:benjaminblack's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads